How did you get hooked on M and M?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 21 Aug 2007, 18:54

Pol wrote:… See as I never was enravished by pure MM I'm afraid.
Ah, I envy you. If you ever decide to begin playing Might & Magic then you'll have wonderfully fun experiences ahead of you. I only wish I could recapture the thrill of the first three years of playing Might & Magic. :oex:

May I suggest you begin with MM6, then go on to MM7 & MM8. :-D … I would just plain forget about MM9. :tsdown:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 21 Aug 2007, 19:41

HodgePodge wrote:
arturchix wrote:… Since Might and Magic VIII was still my favorite, I was trying to find some of the earlier titles but with no luck. After several months of searching, in a very minor store I finally found one copy of MM7 - I bought it and literally flied back at home!
If you can get merchandise from Amazon.com where you live, Might & Magic is sold there for very reasonable prices. If you loved MM7 & MM8, you should also really appreciate MM6. Good luck. :)
Hodge, you are just kidding me, right? :) The described events happened about 7 years ago - now I've got a nice collection of all M&M games for some time already, including MM6. For more information, see my list.
Gaidal Cain wrote:Huh? How were you able to play AB without RoE?
Simple, it was a standalone AB, Russian version, in Eastern Europe published with Buka. Russian players might recognize this name since they translated most if not all M&M and HoMM games in Russian.
Pol wrote:Guess it's bit of offtopic here but my first gaming experince on pc was Descent II and Doom2. Followed by SimCity2000 and Galactic Civilazation for OS/2. All were demos. First game which I really bought was SWIV, soon followed by Archimedean Dynasty and Dark Omen. Then and finally after then I had got to lay my hands over HeroesIII.
Yeah, Doom 2 and SimCity for me as well. There were several other nice games I can't recall name except of Tristan which was a pinball type game.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 21 Aug 2007, 20:10

arturchix wrote:… Hodge, you are just kidding me, right? :) The described events happened about 7 years ago - now I've got a nice collection of all M&M games for some time already, including MM6. For more information, see my list.
D'oh! Image I'm very glad to know you have such an impressive collection. :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 21 Aug 2007, 21:19

HodgePodge wrote:May I suggest you begin with MM6, then go on to MM7 & MM8. :-D … I would just plain forget about MM9. :tsdown:
Sure! Thanks for the tips, I will be keeping them it in my memory, when that time comes. :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

MM7today
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MM7today » 24 Aug 2007, 18:21

i bought mm7 at the time when i was an inexperienced gamer, i just looked at the backside and looked at the screens to see if it looked cool, luckily the two games i bought that way before i became more experienced (the games here are MM7 and Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption) were cool and good :P but yeh, that got me hooked :D

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 25 Aug 2007, 15:03

A friend of mine discovered Might and Magic VII, and ran down to my place to install it. I reluctantly let him do it, since I thought the game looked horrible, but I didn't want to insult him. He spent the first hour on playing it, and trying to show me how to do, while I came with grumphy comments, told him how bad the game seemed to be, asked him what the point was, complained about all the difficult English words (we usually had to use a dictianry 2 - 7 times pr. dialogue window) and wondered if I even should try playing it. But in the end I got to play, and since then we have ben arguing about who should play when, and at which's place it was time to play the game, so one of us didn't get too far ahead of the other one. I won all the games (IV - VIII) but MM IX first :D never completed IX.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 25 Aug 2007, 21:47

I started way back with Might and Magic I on an old Apple IIe.
meh, almost same as me, but i started with Might and Magic on my trusty C64 as back in '86-87 my dad was on a business trip over at the states and bought MM1 and Wizards Crown for my 7th birthday :D

haha i remember tearing away at the presents and running to my room for some gaming-bonanza :)
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 27 Aug 2007, 08:18

I started really became attached to Might and Magic when my dad borrowed the game off a colleague and I would sit next to him and amuse myself with the colorful pictures and cool looking equipment. Then many years later I picked up an old Might and Magic 7 box in the garage and recognized it as the sequel I had marveled at as a child. A short time later I had made a party and was taking my first steps in to the world of Erathia.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 27 Aug 2007, 12:02

For me, the M&M journeys started with #3. Though Xeen is still my favorite and the best of the entire series, MM8 I find more enjoyable than MM6.

To this day, I can still recall the first RPG I played. It was called Wizard's Crown, but the Eternal Dagger sequel is much better and it introduced resistances that became quite standard in modern RPGs.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 31 Aug 2007, 20:08

To this day, I can still recall the first RPG I played. It was called Wizard's Crown, but the Eternal Dagger sequel is much better and it introduced resistances that became quite standard in modern RPGs.
heh, i actually played Wizards Crown and Eternal Dagger again yesterday, when i was trying out the Apple IIe i just bought :proud:
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 01 Sep 2007, 11:54

My first gaming experience was when I visited my cousins. They had this game called 'Digger'. That time the game looked so thrilling I played all night until dawn. In the morning my cousins asked, after all that long playing, how far I've gone through. I said (rather proudly) until level 2. Somehow they're started laughing.

My experience with M&M began in my university time. Back then we have small community of Heroes lovers. I was known to be one of the best Undead player. One of my friend told me about this new game called M&M VIII, and how we can play as vampires, and somehow I was in this discussion about wether vampires were better than elves. Then we concluded that we should compete and try to finish the game either by using elves or vampires, which ones can do better. I found I've been enchanted by the series afterward.

masterpoobaa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby masterpoobaa » 03 Sep 2007, 06:43

Was it just me or did the world of xeen game suffer from a chronic lack of cash?
Great game, but at some points i could have gone up 10 levels except for having next to no cash!

And gimme an Obsidian Beast Bopping Flamberge stat!
M&M VI - the best.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 03 Sep 2007, 18:37

I started from MMVII. I wanted to play some RPG game (few years earlier friend of my showed me some games of this genre - "Black Crypt") and because I like HoMM series (and MM7 had also good review in one of game magizines), so I dicided to buy this game.
One year earlier I thought about buing MM6 (NWC had good commercial of this game in HoMM 2) but it was (in that time) too expensive for me. And when I have enough money, geme MM6 was sold out (but fortunately one of game magazine - the same which "persuaded" me to buy MM7 - place MM6 on it's cds few weeks later).
masterpoobaa wrote:Was it just me or did the world of xeen game suffer from a chronic lack of cash?
(adding money with game editor) Lack of cash? What lack of cash? :D

Yes - MM5 it's only game from MM series, where I had problems with money. Later in game I trained only my mages, so they can cast the most powerful spells (and maximum protection spells).

Return to “Might and Magic”