How did you get hooked on M and M?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

How did you get hooked on M and M?

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 20 Aug 2007, 03:57

I've discovered the might and magic's relatively late. As in this year. I had friends that spoke positively of them and of course I'd played all the homm games but for some reason I never got around to Might and Magic rpg's.

I decided to start with VI mandate of heaven (mostly due to that nifty add in heroes 2 but also reviews). I was getting used to things in New Sorpigal but I really got hooked when I touched a rock and it blew up! And then when I realized my party wasn't dead and I had found a huge cache of treasure something in my mind went Zing! And I was hooked.

Not long after finishing that I decided to try clouds of xeen. I ran around killing some slime and just getting on my feet. My zing moment was when I got the first quest reward from the mayor, it was so much more gold and gems than I had found anywhere before.

Now that I've finished that I've ordered 7 for blood and honor. Hopefully it will be just as good!

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Aug 2007, 11:57

>>>> decided to start with VI mandate of heaven (mostly due to that nifty add in heroes 2 but also reviews).

Haha, the ad in H2. Same as you. Except I bought MM7 right after finishing MM6 and never could find the older M&M games. In retrospect you have to admit the H2 ad has very little to do with the actual game.

MM7 is awesome, simply for the sheer replay factor. Lots of classes, lots of races, and a choice between good and evil midgame. I completed MM7 5 times, but only completed MM6 two times. MM6 is just too magic oriented, making an all-magic team really the best option at all times. Also, I have a blast balancing MM7's classes, making monsters/dungeons much tougher, etc with MM7 view.

I could have bought MM8 but didn't. In retrospect, I should have, since it was in a bargain bin. Now I can't find it anywhere.
Last edited by UndeadHalfOrc on 20 Aug 2007, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

MaxKnight
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MaxKnight » 20 Aug 2007, 13:05

The one I started with was the Sega Genesis port of Might and Magic II. I found the game years ago, in a used games bin in a Babbages (back when they actually had physical stores). The game came with no manual, so I was pretty lost as to what to do, but the previous owner had created a bunch of characters which were at a really high level and had cool equipment!

Somehow, that game initialized (whether I did it or if the game glitched up, it is a mystery...), so I lost all those cool characters the previous owner created. Then I started stumbling around in it for a long time. Not even the internet had many resources at the time. I was lost, and could only hope to accidentally stumble into what I was supposed to do.

I decided to try and find more Might and Magic games, and managed to find this thing called the "Fantasy 5". One of the games on it was Might and Magic III - the Isles of Terra. The only problem was that the manual and stuff was in electronic form, and at the time, I didn't know enough to be able to find it and copy it to the hard drive properly! It made getting into the game a horrible mess, due to the copy protection, and I didn't get to play it much (I had a much easier time with one of the other games on the disc - Populous).

I moved on to the Might and Magic Millennium Edition after that. World of Xeen seemed to play a lot easier than Isles of Terra, and I highly enjoyed mucking about in it. Never have beat it, though... 6 and 7 were, and still are, highly enjoyable.

In recent years, I found copies of 1, 2, and 8, though I still haven't been able to track down a local copy of 9 (though that can wait). If there's one constant in my life, it's some form of classic Might and Magic game!

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 20 Aug 2007, 15:21

My little brother played MM7 over at a friend's house (though he reffered to it as "Heroes 7" and still does from time to time). He pestered mere to get it. She got the Might and Magic Millenium edition for me, and the Heroes Millenium edition for my brother. He was a bit annoyed, IIRC, but asked me to play it anyway and I said sure. I only got a passing aquaintence with it at first, since I hadn't played it before and didn't know it was good. It wasn't until Might and Magic VIII that I really got into the series. That introduced me to Armageddon's Blade, and I eventually went back and played 7 and 6.

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 20 Aug 2007, 16:12

Got into rpg's with Castle of the Winds. My parents got me a used copy of Might and Magic 2, for the Sega, for a present one year. Later, I seen my uncle playing 6, and it looked nice. And, since then, I've been into Might and Magic. Too bad my brother lost my MM2, though. I've got it for the PC, but I don't like it as much.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 20 Aug 2007, 16:18

I started playing RPG's with King's Quest & Quest for Glory on my first computer, a Macintosh. Then when I got a PC, my very first game was Heroes of Might & Magic I which I loved so much I bought the Heroes II Compendium. I also saw the ad for MM6 so I rushed out to get it right away and absolutely loved it, even more than Heroes. ;| The rest is history.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Aug 2007, 20:20

Sir William S Titan wrote:Got into rpg's with Castle of the Winds.
Ooh, that's a nice game.

I started with MM8, which I throughly enjoyed. I moved on to MM9, which wasn't half as fun. I've got MM78 now as well, and have finished it twice (once for each path).
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 20 Aug 2007, 21:28

I had played Star flight 1 and 2, then Phantasy Star 2 for the genesis hooked me. I then bought MM2 for the genesis, but MM 3 and Wizardy: Bane of the Cosmic Forge for the PC followed. So how did I get hooked, I just played them, and that's all it takes when the game is good. :-D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

masterpoobaa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby masterpoobaa » 20 Aug 2007, 22:02

Ages ago... yonks even, was when i got addicted.
Might and Magic III.

Awesome fullcolour display, lovely characters and monsters. Those cyclops to the east of the starting town were dangerous as!
And the goblins in the woods were funny.

I still remember the fist time i found high end gear, a sapphire beast bopping longsword... woooo... mine... allmine!
M&M VI - the best.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 20 Aug 2007, 22:38

A friend of mine ages ago [late 80s?] turned me on to M&M 3 for the PC. Ever since then I've been hooked.

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 21 Aug 2007, 00:30

Gaidal Cain wrote:
Sir William S Titan wrote:Got into rpg's with Castle of the Winds.
Ooh, that's a nice game.
Yeah. Now that I think back, on it, the second of them was my most-wanted present at the time, which I got. I got MM2, with it. It was just an unexpected, welcome later, bonus.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 21 Aug 2007, 01:58

I remember playing through castle of the winds many moons ago. I recently stumbled across it on an old cd (that runs with windows 3.1 :-D) but I have too much on my plate to relearn the game.

I'm liking the stories here. Seems like most people got started pretty early.

@Jeff, I liked Wizardry 6 best in the series after Wizardry 8. I still have a hand drawn map of the dwarven mines somewhere.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 21 Aug 2007, 05:38

PhoenixReborn wrote:I remember playing through castle of the winds many moons ago. I recently stumbled across it on an old cd (that runs with windows 3.1 :-D) but I have too much on my plate to relearn the game.
It isn't too much to learn. Just magic missile and sleep ;)

Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Apeman » 21 Aug 2007, 08:08

Might and Magic VI unfortunately.

All that time I was crunching hour after hour on civilization I could have been playing the older M&M's if only I knew they were out there.

Might and Magic VI was the very first game that forced me to make maps of the towns because they were so big. That would be my zing moment.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Aug 2007, 13:53

You guys are a bunch of novices! I started way back with Might and Magic I on an old Apple IIe.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 21 Aug 2007, 14:13

Gaidal Cain wrote:It isn't too much to learn. Just magic missile and sleep ;)
That's pretty much every rpg.
Apeman wrote:Might and Magic VI was the very first game that forced me to make maps of the towns because they were so big. That would be my zing moment.

Good one. They really are big enough to not be able to find who you want to find for some time.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 21 Aug 2007, 15:51

When I bought my very first PC, I thought I need to buy a computer game. Since I was a complete noob and knew nothing about the gaming genres and what are recommended games (my first gaming experience was limited with Doom, Tetris and some DOS games), I just walked in a local computer store and there were several games available. I noticed Might and Magic VIII and was impressed with the box art. I read the description, it sounded cool so I bought it. It really hooked me - I was playing it several days in a row, first trying to figure out, how do I play it at all, then how to deal with pirates and finally get off the island which took me quite some time to figure out. :)

After some time, in another local store I noticed H3 Armageddon's Blade. Since it carried the name of "Might and Magic", I was pretty excited and immediately bought it, though the screenshots on the box were confusing. When I discovered that this is a game of entirely another game genre, I was disappointed and put the game on shelf. After some time I gave it another try and eventually I was carried away once again.

Since Might and Magic VIII was still my favorite, I was trying to find some of the earlier titles but with no luck. After several months of searching, in a very minor store I finally found one copy of MM7 - I bought it and literally flied back at home!

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 21 Aug 2007, 16:55

arturchix wrote:… Since Might and Magic VIII was still my favorite, I was trying to find some of the earlier titles but with no luck. After several months of searching, in a very minor store I finally found one copy of MM7 - I bought it and literally flied back at home!
If you can get merchandise from Amazon.com where you live, Might & Magic is sold there for very reasonable prices. If you loved MM7 & MM8, you should also really appreciate MM6. Good luck. :)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 21 Aug 2007, 18:22

arturchix wrote:After some time, in another local store I noticed H3 Armageddon's Blade. Since it carried the name of "Might and Magic", I was pretty excited and immediately bought it, though the screenshots on the box were confusing. When I discovered that this is a game of entirely another game genre, I was disappointed and put the game on shelf. After some time I gave it another try and eventually I was carried away once again.
Huh? How were you able to play AB without RoE?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 21 Aug 2007, 18:46

arturchix wrote:When I bought my very first PC, I thought I need to buy a computer game. Since I was a complete noob and knew nothing about the gaming genres and what are recommended games (my first gaming experience was limited with Doom, Tetris and some DOS games)...
Guess it's bit of offtopic here but my first gaming experince on pc was Descent II and Doom2. Followed by SimCity2000 and Galactic Civilazation for OS/2. All were demos. First game which I really bought was SWIV, soon followed by Archimedean Dynasty and Dark Omen. Then and finally after then I had got to lay my hands over HeroesIII.

See as I never was enravished by pure MM I'm afraid.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Might and Magic”