CRPGs need a new MnM game!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Lord13
Demon
Demon

CRPGs need a new MnM game!

Unread postby Lord13 » 26 Jan 2006, 15:28

I read all these things in the other topics about that "bible" thing and I din't understand many things(because of my english i supose). But the fact is one, a new clasic rpg Might And Magic is needed, not only for the olders MnM funs but for all crpg genre. In our days you don't see any crrpg like the old MnM, and I mean crpgs with party,detailed skills,good scenarios and a huge world free to explore. Personally I haven't see such a game from the age of MnM 8!! I can't understand why the computer industry doesn't support anymore that kind of games and supports only the new style of rpgs full with action and less role-playing! I am sure that Might And Magic has a great historical backround and has the ability to continue this classical crpg serie.

Sorry for my bad english again :-p
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

lordskeleton
Pixie
Pixie
Location: Sweden (You know, polar bears, close to switzerland)

Unread postby lordskeleton » 27 Jan 2006, 00:28

I think the world needed a new MM the day that MMIX reached the shelves
"Every enemy I've met I've annihilated!"
"Ehm.. Oh yeah?... well... eh... You fight like a cow!"

DaveO
Demon
Demon

RPGs

Unread postby DaveO » 27 Jan 2006, 01:28

There are already titles out there to let you roleplay with parties, skills, feats or whatever attracts you to an RPG. One game I'm playing right now is a bit of a hybrid in letting you choose skills and explore a large open-ended world. The name of this title is called Sacred. I will admit that it's primary focus is an action RPG, but there are lots of areas to explore and you have enough freedom to go 'off the rails' in terms of quests if you want. There are also a lot of little easter eggs in the game, so that may appeal to some.

I believe both Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights(if you play the user modules) offer tons of open-world possibilities. The downside to these games is that they all are single-player. I would recommend Knights of the Old Republic as a party-oriented RPG with memorable characters and experiences.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Re: RPGs

Unread postby Suleman » 27 Jan 2006, 16:47

DaveO wrote:There are already titles out there to let you roleplay with parties, skills, feats or whatever attracts you to an RPG. One game I'm playing right now is a bit of a hybrid in letting you choose skills and explore a large open-ended world. The name of this title is called Sacred. I will admit that it's primary focus is an action RPG, but there are lots of areas to explore and you have enough freedom to go 'off the rails' in terms of quests if you want. There are also a lot of little easter eggs in the game, so that may appeal to some.

I believe both Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights(if you play the user modules) offer tons of open-world possibilities. The downside to these games is that they all are single-player. I would recommend Knights of the Old Republic as a party-oriented RPG with memorable characters and experiences.
I agree, Morrowind and KotOR are awesome. However, I think neither Neverwinter Nights or Sacred is really that good, at least not good enough to spend money or time on.

If you're into old-school RPGs, I'd recommend the Avernum series from Spiderweb games and Wizardry 8. The free demos for Avernum are available at http://www.spiderwebgames.com.

Wizardry 8 came out at about the same year as M&M 9, but it is at least technically much better. I've only played it for a while, though. It should also pretty cheap now.

Does anyone know how good Arx Fatalis is? I never got the chance to play it.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 27 Jan 2006, 23:36

The true point of NWN was the toolset. The official campaigns were secondary; I could pull better writing from in between my toes.

What NWN allowed you to do was design your own RPGs. Much like the Heroes strategy games, fan-made adventures are what keeps it alive.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 28 Jan 2006, 01:12

DaveO wrote:The name of this title is called Sacred. I will admit that it's primary focus is an action RPG[/b[,

See this is the problem. Too many console-ised action RPGs which are easy to play with 3 buttons. They just throw waves of random enemies at you as you walk around random environments and it all kind of sucks. Maybe sacred is different (haven't heard much about it or played it), but I'm guessing no.

Morrowind was pretty cool but I never got over NWNs awful single player and the incredibly boring/artificial combat engine (dice rolling seems to work ok in a pause and move 3rd person iso like baldur's gate, but it seems silly in a 3D world. As for KOTOR, the story was pretty good and it had some good RPG elements - though the black and white good/evil choices in encounters was tedious - but the combat/skills engine was horribly simplistic with entire classes of character attributes useless. The game was OK, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the BioWare classics.

I'm holding out hope that The Fall - Last Days of Gaia which is kind of an in-spirit Fallout sequel will be good. The German version has been released but I'm still waiting for the English release. But beyond that the CRPG landscape looks depressingly barren, and has been for years imo.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Jan 2006, 01:37

DaveO wrote:I believe both Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights(if you play the user modules) offer tons of open-world possibilities. The downside to these games is that they all are single-player.
Neverwinter Nights can be played with other people. I tried some of the persistent world servers in the past, but never found anything interesting to do there. I played a cooperative module with Ghostwriter, a former CH editor, and it was very fun until the game ended abruptly, telling us the story was to be continued in a future module... Meh.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 28 Jan 2006, 22:24

Most of games that all of you said I have palyed them and can't compare with the rpg felling that the MnM can give u. I mean, Sacred f.e., is a good action(hack n' slash) rpg, but with a boring scenario! Maybe it has great graphics(for the time and genre)but hasn't got the "feeling"!! See, the MnM has a whole backround behind it(wars,heroes,time periods etc.)!!
Morrowind for the other can give you that felling with the beatifull world(the books that you can read in-game was a great idea)but his action is booooring(as most of solo char. games i think)!!Nev.nights has a great atmosphere,the great backround of the Forgoten Realms worlds but it can't hold you stuck on pc(at least me), the rules of Dungeons And Dragons can't stand on pc I think, are made for other reason.Arx Fatalis is a great rpg game(Gothic too, made by the same dev.team)but much different than the old-scholl party crpgs that I said.More realistic action
and great scenario thought.Anyway, u can see many good rpgs in our days, but none has these things that MnM or Wizardy(as Suleman said) had and make them such a great crpg series. I think the today's formula is one: good graficks, copy-paste a standar scenario and a lot of action...

I know, terrible english again :-p
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...

JurK
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JurK » 29 Jan 2006, 01:52

i played morrowwind too.. its boring.. way to big maps and discovered many bugs o.O

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 29 Jan 2006, 09:42

Lord13 wrote:I think the today's formula is one: good graficks, copy-paste a standar scenario and a lot of action...
Absolutely, and that's the problem. Dragon Stone is the nadir of this genre, from what I've played, and I've refused to play another action-RPG after being scarred by it.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 31 Jan 2006, 13:39

I have not seen many party oriented RPGs. The focus right now is multiplayer or the 'massive' pay-to-play RPG scams that discourage casual play and encourage game addiction. I will never be one to be suckered by an MMORPG. That whole genre is a waste of time and money and only encourages people with a 'lowest common denominator' to exploit the game in some fashion. The only control that consumers have is to vote with the wallet. Unfortunately since so many 'votes' have gone to World of Borecraft it basically guarantees this genre will be around for at least ten more years than it should be.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 31 Jan 2006, 15:32

If you're looking for good RPGs, why not go back and play some of the classics? I'm going back through all the old Final Fantasy games (although admittedly many people don't like those) right now and having a blast. Sure the graphics are outdated, but many modern games can't even come close to them in terms of gameplay. Fallout is an RPG may people missed the first time around and I highly recommend it if you can find it.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 31 Jan 2006, 18:31

If you're tired of graphic-centered games, play ADOM. Though it's pretty low on roleplaying, the game has such a huge amount of content and re-playability that it's almost a must for any gamer.
It also has ASCII graphics, which is great.

www.adom.de
Last edited by Suleman on 01 Feb 2006, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 31 Jan 2006, 20:52

. . . . . . . . . . . . Image . . . . . . . . . . . .
Suleman wrote:If you're tired of graphic-centered games, play ADOM. Though it's pretty low on roleplaying, the game has such a huge amount of content and re-playability that it's almost a must for any gamer.
It also has ASCII graphics, which is great.

ww.adom.de
What's ADOM???

Added: Never mind, I found it.

http://www.adom.de
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 01 Feb 2006, 03:20

All I was trying to say is that there are many different designs available for RPGs. Just because one formula is currently dominating the market does not make it the only formula worth pursuing. Game creation nowadays is all about getting money. One dominant formula will encourage others to copycat, but eventually the market will get oversaturated. Original titles are even harder to come by due to risk. Fan created content can be good or better than what was released, but only those with a lot of dedication + free time + talent usually are behind successful fan projects.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 02 Feb 2006, 23:31

It is true that in our days ontly the fan/freeware games are capable enought to give u true gaming experience! Isn't it ironic that MMTribute posibly be better than MM9?Money-hunting has poluted the gaming and that's for sure, but you always hope that a company would support 1-2 good games every year.It is sad thought to see great series like MnM stop produce good titles(MnM9 was awful and now they prefer an action-style like Dark Mes.)!
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...

Return to “Might and Magic”