Which is best? MM6 or MM7?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 06 Jul 2007, 04:07

darknessfood wrote:
One of my favorite parts of MM8 was being able to use all kinds of Races in your party and change them off any time you like. Playing with the Dragon is really fun. You can get a Level 5 Dragon quite early in the game without any restrictions to hiring him.
But have 2 dragons in your team and level them up fast enough gives you olmost a godmode. The attack of the dragon is WAY 2 powerfull (IMHO)
Once I had an all Dragon game. That's right FIVE (count 'em) Five Dragons! :proud: I started with the:
  • (1) Starting Dragon Character Game
    (2) Ithilgore from Garrote Gorge
    (3) Flamdring from Ironsand Desert
    (4) Brimstone from Shadowspire
    (5) Duroth the Eternal from Regna
(Note: Flamdring's & Brimstone's locations may be mixed up.) Basically, we were unstoppable. :rofl:

You can download the MM8 Dragon Game at: Special Might & Magic Games.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 06 Jul 2007, 04:49

That must have been a pretty boring game.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 06 Jul 2007, 11:24

So, talking back about MM6, which are the classes you think it's most nice to develop and why? Given that I always enjoyed having an Archer/Thief, something strong as a Paladin/Knight/Monk, a Druid/Cleric. When I had archers, I had no Sorcerers, but I had clerics...always leaving one of them to have Dark Magic.

So, what's fun in developing a character in MM6?
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 06 Jul 2007, 12:55

I'd recommend at least one druid in the party. In fact, you don't need any Might oriented characters at all. The 'power party' has been debated, and in my opinion either CDSS or DDSS is the most powerful party in the long run. I don't think Clerics are worth the trouble, but they are likely to obtain Dark Magic power much quicker than Sorcerers. Druids are the best in terms of spell capability, having access to both Sorcerer and Cleric spells.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 06 Jul 2007, 14:40

I started playing yesterday and in my team are 2 sorcerers, a palladin and a cleric. First one for some melee combat (in the beginning) and the other ones. One is soon gonna be a watermage (town portal, beacon) the other i'm gonna make him a dark magic dude. The cleric is gonna be my healing guy :).

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 06 Jul 2007, 14:40

I have used druids a few times, for alchemy and a changing matter. They have a wide branch of spells that makes us wonder where to beging developing. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 06 Jul 2007, 15:42

Panda Tar wrote:I have used druids a few times, for alchemy and a changing matter. They have a wide branch of spells that makes us wonder where to beging developing. :D
In MM6, there isn't any Alchemy skill. Any of your characters can mix any potion … although, some combinations will still explode.

Also in MM6, the Druid Promotion Quests are difficult because they are so time-consuming. You can only complete the first Promotion Quest on four days out of the year, Equinoxes & Solstices (March 20, June 21, September 23 & December 21) and if you miss the exact day, you have to wait three months for the next one.

The Second Promotion Quest is also time-consuming, but not as much so. You only have to wait for a full moon to arive (once a month). Druids are weak fighters but are allowed to learn all the Self & Elemental Magics … but not Light or Dark.

The highest level both Might Skills & Magic Skills in MM6 is Master Level. There isn't any Grandmaster Level in MM6. If any character is allowed to learn any skill at all, they can go to the highest level of that skill (Master) unlike MM7, where classes aren't allowed to excel to maximum levels in all skills they can learn.

I always start with a Cleric & Sorcerer. I usually choose Paladin over Knight because Paladins can learn Self Magic. The last character is up for grabs, sometimes I choose Archer or Druid or another Sorcerer. There isn't any Thief class in MM6.

I hope you enjoy MM6, it's still my favorite. :)

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 06 Jul 2007, 16:35

Panda Tar wrote: Edit:
Just found out that MMIX is dreadful. :D
It is, however if you decide to play it I strongly recommend you go to the TELP website and download their 1.3 patch, it fixes many of the game's fatal errors and improves the game slightly. They have been working on a 1.4 patch which is supposed to add in some quests that the designers left out due to money issues and upgrade the games quality in many ways. Unfortunately their real world commitments have prevented its completion, and it may not happen now, but who knows if UBI announces a MMX, then the incentive to complete their patch may motivate them to finish it.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 06 Jul 2007, 16:56

HodgePodge wrote: The highest level both Might Skills & Magic Skills in MM6 is Master Level. There isn't any Grandmaster Level in MM6. If any character is allowed to learn any skill at all, they can go to the highest level of that skill (Master) unlike MM7, where classes aren't allowed to excel to maximum levels in all skills they can learn.

I always start with a Cleric & Sorcerer. I usually choose Paladin over Knight because Paladins can learn Self Magic. The last character is up for grabs, sometimes I choose Archer or Druid or another Sorcerer. There isn't any Thief class in MM6.
I didn't really get it, Hodgy. :? You said that any character is allowed to learn any skill, but then Paladins can learn Self Magic. What's this? Class-only skill or something? And, if that's like anyone learning and mastering them, which is the difference (appart the HP, SP statistics leveling up) between them? :)
jeff wrote: It is, however if you decide to play it I strongly recommend you go to the TELP website and download their 1.3 patch, it fixes many of the game's fatal errors and improves the game slightly. They have been working on a 1.4 patch which is supposed to add in some quests that the designers left out due to money issues and upgrade the games quality in many ways. Unfortunately their real world commitments have prevented its completion, and it may not happen now, but who knows if UBI announces a MMX, then the incentive to complete their patch may motivate them to finish it.
Hummm, they said it was hard to hold on the boredom at the beginning of the game (actually, until the half of it), and then, later, when you get the way to really make your characters have an individual path and development, it becomes rather interesting. Is that so? :)

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 06 Jul 2007, 17:47

HodgePodge wrote:
In MM7 you aren't required to use Blasters for anything at all.
How about sharks near the Lincoln? Maybe you prefer to kill them at melee range with your bare fists? ;) (Which would only really work with 3-4 monks in your party)

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 06 Jul 2007, 17:55

Panda Tar wrote: I didn't really get it, Hodgy. :? You said that any character is allowed to learn any skill,
No, you misread her. She said that IF a character can learn the skill, THEN it can master it. Paladins can't learn the fire magic skill, so they can't master it. Sorcerers can't learn the Sword skill, so they can't master it. An archer can cast fire magic just as good as a sorcerer, and a paladin can cast spirit magic just as good as a cleric, and swing his sword just as good as a knight can.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 06 Jul 2007, 19:01

Panda Tar wrote:
jeff wrote: It is, however if you decide to play it I strongly recommend you go to the TELP website and download their 1.3 patch, it fixes many of the game's fatal errors and improves the game slightly. They have been working on a 1.4 patch which is supposed to add in some quests that the designers left out due to money issues and upgrade the games quality in many ways. Unfortunately their real world commitments have prevented its completion, and it may not happen now, but who knows if UBI announces a MMX, then the incentive to complete their patch may motivate them to finish it.
Hummm, they said it was hard to hold on the boredom at the beginning of the game (actually, until the half of it), and then, later, when you get the way to really make your characters have an individual path and development, it becomes rather interesting. Is that so? :)
Different people had different reasons for not likely MM9, it never fully engaged me the way MMVI – VIII did. It played as if it wasn’t done, an example there was no fly spell, not because they did plan on having one, but 3DO cut off the funds, so they eliminated it (or stopped developing it, I can’t remember which). It shipped with fatal errors in it that required rapid patching. For me Wizardry 8 can out at about the same time and it was so much better (IMO) that I played it through twice before I came back to MM9 and by then I forgot what I did, and what I still needed to do, so I just never finished it. Several people were unhappy with the story and the way they treated the Gryphonheart heir (can’t think of his name at the moment) in the game. I own it and if boredom sets in I may reload it, do the patches including the TELP patch and try again.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 06 Jul 2007, 19:30

Panda Tar wrote:Hummm, they said it was hard to hold on the boredom at the beginning of the game (actually, until the half of it), and then, later, when you get the way to really make your characters have an individual path and development, it becomes rather interesting. Is that so? :)
You're talking about MM7, right? I found the later part, after choosing a path, to be less exciting than the first half of MM7. In MM6, the whole game is exciting.
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:
HodgePodge wrote:In MM7 you aren't required to use Blasters for anything at all.
How about sharks near the Lincoln? Maybe you prefer to kill them at melee range with your bare fists? ;) (Which would only really work with 3-4 monks in your party)
I forgot about those sharkies. :-D A few times, I never had to fight any because my party managed to dodge them all the way to the Lincoln.
jeff wrote: Several people were unhappy with the story and the way they treated the Gryphonheart heir (can’t think of his name at the moment) in the game. I own it and if boredom sets in I may reload it, do the patches including the TELP patch and try again.
Nicolai Ironfist, son of Roland & Catherine, made it through one of the portals; but seemed to have lost his mind, or least his sense of direction. There was a note on the ground next to him from his father, and Nicolai must have been too blind to see it just lying at his feet. Then the only thing Nicolai got to do in MM9 was get a lousy job with the circus. I never could figure out what NWC was thinking when they did that. ;| It was such a waste of a good opportunity.

I found the storyline of MM9 to be quite ridiculous and the characters unmemorial. The dungeons were okay, but most of the quests were lame at best, and stupid at worst. Remember that awful quest (I think it was the Archer or Ranger Promotion Quest) where you had to go through that horrible obstacle course … which was almost impossible to complete? Some really smart person discovered if you set a Lloyd's Beacon at the beginning, you only needed to get through the first obstacle and then beam back to finish the quest. Good thing too. :-D

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 06 Jul 2007, 20:28

HodgePodge wrote: I found the storyline of MM9 to be quite ridiculous and the characters unmemorial. The dungeons were okay, but most of the quests were lame at best, and stupid at worst. Remember that awful quest (I think it was the Archer or Ranger Promotion Quest) where you had to go through that horrible obstacle course … which was almost impossible to complete? Some really smart person discovered if you set a Lloyd's Beacon at the beginning, you only needed to get through the first obstacle and then beam back to finish the quest. Good thing too. :-D[/b]
I had forgotten that, it was a time of mixed emotions, two RPGs from storied franchises released very close together. Unfortunately both signaled the end of their runs. (at least for now) As bad as MM9 was Wiz 8 was a success in almost everyway. Unfortunately Sir-Tech could not find an investor to keep going, while 3DO just couldn't keep going. As I said a time of mixed emotions for those of us that love Turn based RPGs. :D :(

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 07 Jul 2007, 13:38

Might and Magic 9 can only really be found fun if looked at from a character building view. And even then it does get dull after awhile. There are no hoards of enemies to battle and fight and the AI is just plain awful, not to mention the realism. Invincible peasants??? Though I do recall you can hire an NPC Mage who can for some weird reason kill them. Also there are too many AI bugs and the Arena is just bugs galore. I kinda preferred MM7 to MM6 especially since I played 7 before 6. MM6 had some pretty annoying dungeon slogging involved and late game got really boring. Kill, kill, kill and there were basically no items worth picking up. It got really dry afterawhile. Though I still love the beginning of the game, I really felt a bigger sense of achievement there picking up better weapons, making a nice small fortune and slaying monsters.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 07 Jul 2007, 14:00

I loved MnM 6-7 but I think the MnM 7 wins at details.
MnM6 was bigger and harder but MnM 7 brings new
stuff at chara developement and to gameplay. Yes,
I believe MnM 7 is better.
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 07 Jul 2007, 14:09

accabear wrote: Might and Magic 9 can only really be found fun if looked at from a character building view. And even then it does get dull after awhile. There are no hoards of enemies to battle and fight and the AI is just plain awful, not to mention the realism.
Sadly you're right 3DO/NWC made several sacrifices in order to move to the 3D world, like insufficient investment to make it work. IF TELP does do its 1.4 patch it may be worth another look. ;|

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 07 Jul 2007, 14:18

Well in all truth 3DO HAD to moved to be a 3D world (It's even in the company name!) otherwise the game would just have fallen behind the times and become a corpse for their old fans to pick off. Maybe if 3DO had more time they could have fixed all the issues and problems. I am pretty sure that TELP patch has just stalled and will never be finished, abit like MM Tribute. Which is a pity. Maybe we should start a thread of all the major problems and issues currently in MM9 and get some suggestions going on how to fix them and at least make a good compilation of everything.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 07 Jul 2007, 15:11

Since the general consensus (and my personal opinion as well) is that MM6 has a better gaming world & longer and more complex dungeons, while MM7 has more balanced, polished gameplay and character development , what would REALLY ROCK would be a remake of MM6 with MM7's character development specs and spells.

Many other things would need to be tweaked as well. For instance, promoters and promotion quests would have to be added for Monk, Thief and Ranger.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 07 Jul 2007, 16:55

I found the starter dungeons not too bad in MM6. The first places in New Sorpigal and Castle Ironfist are still quite memorable for me. I truly think the game 'takes off' after the starter dungeons. About 1/4 to 1/3 of the areas can be done with a low level party armed with bows and using only a Teacher/Instructor combo to get experience to advance upwards.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Return to “Might and Magic”