Which is best? MM6 or MM7?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Which is best? MM6 or MM7?

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Jul 2007, 19:11

In your opinion (humble or not), which of the two is best? I'd like a description comparing some subjects you would like to consider. I'm willing to start playing MM6, but only if I feel it can be just as fun as MM7 is. :)

Can anybody help here? :D

P.s.: if there's a thread about it, I appologize. And I'd like that to be pointed out, please. :)
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 04 Jul 2007, 19:15

Let's put it this way - if you liked MM7, you'll love MM6. :)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Which is best? MM6 or MM7?

Unread postby HodgePodge » 04 Jul 2007, 21:06

Panda Tar wrote:In your opinion (humble or not), which of the two is best? I'd like a description comparing some subjects you would like to consider. I'm willing to start playing MM6, but only if I feel it can be just as fun as MM7 is. :)

Can anybody help here? :D
In my (humble) opinion, Might & Magic 6 is the better of the two games but even though Might & Magic 7 did bring some improvements (own Castle to store stuff, more specific character classes, notes where Promoters live, Light & Dark Path choice, etc.) Might & Magic 6 has better quests, harder dungeons and more populous outdoor areas. MM 7 seems shorter than MM6.

I think you'll find MM6 as much or maybe even more fun than MM7. You may find some of those things which were improved in MM7 to be a little frustrating in MM6, but don't let that keep you from enjoying the best RPG ever! (IMHO :-D )
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 04 Jul 2007, 21:45

MM6 is superior to MM7 due to more leveling attainable, a larger and better world, better spell and skill capabilities(before they got nerfed), and a more open-ended design that encourages more exploration. There are some flaws to MM6, but they are more tolerable than the lackluster experience of MM7.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 05 Jul 2007, 00:08

Well I had fun with it. MM 6 was my first m and m rpg and I just finished it a few days ago. I would recommend it. The first 50 levels were really fun, and the game has the best dungeons I've ever seen. There are some problems but they are negligible. I'm hoping that the reverse is true, that because I liked 6 I'll like 7. Generally I hear it's an improvement.

masterpoobaa
Peasant
Peasant

mm6

Unread postby masterpoobaa » 05 Jul 2007, 03:59

M&M6 seems to allways be the one i keep going back to... must be the sheer carnage factor. :D :D :D

Bigger dungeons and outdoor areas, alot more "hard slog" involved. Feels more rewarding, returning to "civilisation" with experience in the green and ready to level up, lootbags full of good stuff to sell/ID/Kitout.

Though its not without its failings...
A. Lacking GrandMaster skill
B. Weapons/Armour skills lack the polish of MM7/8
C. Spells arnt restrictive, too early access to fly/portal/lloyds.
D. no 3D effects - not that much of a biggy as 3D effects seem to be pretty basic and make most sprites appear blurred cose up.
E. Certain spells are unbalanced/pretty pointless. eg. static charge, firebolt do bugger all damage and can be ignored once you get beyond level 1. SOme dark spells use far too many spellpoints for what you get also.
F. limited classes, no non-humans.

For some reason i do like M&M8 more than 7, even though its shorter and (i think) much easier.
M&M VI - the best.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 05 Jul 2007, 04:03

I like Day of the Destroyer better than the other two simply because there were no laser blasters. I felt incredibly cheated after spending all that time with weapon skills to have them be replaced by guns. I know it was part of the plot and all, but it just wasn't cool. Then to have it thrown back in my face at the end of MM7 really annoyed me. :disagree:
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 05 Jul 2007, 04:49

Omega_Destroyer wrote:I like Day of the Destroyer better than the other two simply because there were no laser blasters. I felt incredibly cheated after spending all that time with weapon skills to have them be replaced by guns. I know it was part of the plot and all, but it just wasn't cool. Then to have it thrown back in my face at the end of MM7 really annoyed me. :disagree:
No blasters is good, very good! :-D Too bad MM8 skimped on a lot of other stuff, though. Still, MM8 is a great game too.

If you play MM8, be sure to stop by Lord Brinne's Tomb in the northeast section of Ravenshore (by the Obelisk) and talk to the guardians of the tomb. I'm one of them. :proud:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Jul 2007, 11:29

I saw that MM6 and 7 are very alike, due the short time between their releases. I like long games and, if MM6 has larger maps and dungeons, I think I can ignore those flaws you were talking about. :D

Yesterday, I started playing MM7 again. I just had to laugh with glee when I heard that "Just a scratch...but I need a fix!" again. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 05 Jul 2007, 12:39

I'm a MM8 fan too and another of the tomb guardians. Truly enjoy playing a Minotaur again after a long absence. Last RPG that had that option was Phantasie. If I had to choose, it would be MM8 all the way of the modern M&M games. Otherwise, nothing tops World of Xeen.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 05 Jul 2007, 12:45

I like 6 best, so you can't go wrong with that one. 7 was also cool (bacause i'm a HoMM 3 fan) but 6 has a nicer story and a beter vibe...

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Jul 2007, 15:18

And no guns. ;)

I don't like using those blasters. I keep using my ol'relics or artifacts.

MM8 got me curious when it was launched. Being able to raise other races, such as dragons and minotaurs. I'll try that someday. MMIX, I haven't even looked for it yet.

Edit:
Just found out that MMIX is dreadful. :D

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 05 Jul 2007, 17:34

Panda Tar wrote:And no guns. ;)

MM8 got me curious when it was launched. Being able to raise other races, such as dragons and minotaurs. I'll try that someday. MMIX, I haven't even looked for it yet.

Edit:
REALLY bad, all the things they wanted to do, failed badly...

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 05 Jul 2007, 17:55

Strangely enough that I found MM9 pretty good, when patched up to 1.3a. Sure, the engine sucks, the game is half-finished but still it's possible to enjoy it.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 05 Jul 2007, 18:43

HodgePodge wrote:
Omega_Destroyer wrote:I like Day of the Destroyer better than the other two simply because there were no laser blasters. I felt incredibly cheated after spending all that time with weapon skills to have them be replaced by guns. I know it was part of the plot and all, but it just wasn't cool. Then to have it thrown back in my face at the end of MM7 really annoyed me. :disagree:
No blasters is good, very good! :-D Too bad MM8 skimped on a lot of other stuff, though. Still, MM8 is a great game too.

If you play MM8, be sure to stop by Lord Brinne's Tomb in the northeast section of Ravenshore (by the Obelisk) and talk to the guardians of the tomb. I'm one of them. :proud:
So you aren't really a person so much as a tomb guardian? You've like, blown my mind man.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 05 Jul 2007, 18:54

Panda Tar wrote:And no guns. ;)

Slight Mini-Spoilish Below:

In MM6, you only need to use Blasters in the end game dungeon to take out the Reactor Core. Then you can simply go back to using your conventional weapons. In MM7 you aren't required to use Blasters for anything at all. So just keep them in your inventory or stash them in your Castle.

Panda Tar wrote:MM8 got me curious when it was launched. Being able to raise other races, such as dragons and minotaurs. I'll try that someday.
One of my favorite parts of MM8 was being able to use all kinds of Races in your party and change them off any time you like. Playing with the Dragon is really fun. :-D You can get a Level 5 Dragon quite early in the game without any restrictions to hiring him.
Panda Tar wrote:MMIX, I haven't even looked for it yet.

Edit:
If you haven't already laid out the gold for MM9, I'd recommend saving your money. I did buy it and played it through once, really disliked it but thought I'd give it another chance. The second time, I disliked it even more; so I ended up selling it back to the store (for a huge loss). :ill:

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 05 Jul 2007, 19:30

I never understand why some people don't like blasters in MM6-7. But it's they choice not my.
HodgePodge wrote:In MM6, you only need to use Blasters in the end game dungeon to take out the Reactor Core. Then you can simply go back to using your conventional weapons. In MM7 you aren't required to use Blasters for anything at all. So just keep them in your inventory or stash them in your Castle. [/b]
You don't need blasters to destroy reactor core - you only have bows of carnage or of dragon (I don't remember which one) - they are dealing damage to it with no problem (another bug?). Probably you only need some bow dealing fire damage to be able to destroy reactor core but I don't checked this theory yet.

Panda Tar wrote:MMIX, I haven't even looked for it yet.

Edit:
It's not so bad game (ok, it's bad MM game but not so bad rpg game) - some dungeons are IMO fine (dwarfs mine, chasm of dead, yamnir's fortress, dark passage, tombs of 1000 terrors), city planning is also not so bad (and all cities have they unique desing - it's shame that most of cities are "empties" - only several npcs) and some more minor details. Some quests also are fine or even funny.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 05 Jul 2007, 23:04

One of my favorite parts of MM8 was being able to use all kinds of Races in your party and change them off any time you like. Playing with the Dragon is really fun. You can get a Level 5 Dragon quite early in the game without any restrictions to hiring him.
But have 2 dragons in your team and level them up fast enough gives you olmost a godmode. The attack of the dragon is WAY 2 powerfull (IMHO)

masterpoobaa
Peasant
Peasant

blasters

Unread postby masterpoobaa » 05 Jul 2007, 23:51

lol @ blasters.
With my mod i made blasters a thing of the past.
I couldnt get rid of them, so i did the next best thing. Made them next to useless with blasters only doing 1d2, blaster rifles 1d3+1. :D
M&M VI - the best.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 06 Jul 2007, 03:47

I consider the Dragon the 'newbie' character. It is unfortunate that adding even one Dragon seriously skews the game balance. A better design decision should have made them only obtainable at level 50.

Return to “Might and Magic”