Small MM6 and MM7 quiz question! What is the weapon that...

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Small MM6 and MM7 quiz question! What is the weapon that...

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 22 May 2007, 21:38

... you will NEVER use, AT ALL, under ANY circumstance, at any point in the game?

Hint: Not an artifact, not a relic, not a "unique" or quest item, it's just a regular item.

And please don't mention clubs, since I don't even consider them proper weapons. (And they do have one little use: for an Archer who didn't select a melee weapon before the game begins)

So which is it?

masterpoobaa
Peasant
Peasant

Weapon you never use

Unread postby masterpoobaa » 23 May 2007, 03:52

Non magical Tridents and spears.
I may use magical ones due to the bonuses being better, but non magical ones are always trounced by HALBERDS.

Why do 1d9 or 2d6 when you can do 3d6?
M&M VI - the best.

InvisibleTerror
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby InvisibleTerror » 23 May 2007, 06:54

I've never used things which don't do anything by itself (like rings), just increase hit points or mana points by, say, 10. IMHO it's much better to sell them (every point "costs" 100 gold).

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 23 May 2007, 07:18

I have to agree with masterpooba. Spears and tridents are fairly useless. There are no artifacts or relics in MM6 thru MM8 that make them attractive. I've used two handed swords for a while in an MM6 run, and even the cruddy starter equipment is good for at least the first 5-10 character levels.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Re: Weapon you never use

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 23 May 2007, 17:20

masterpoobaa wrote:Non magical Tridents and spears.
I may use magical ones due to the bonuses being better, but non magical ones are always trounced by HALBERDS.

Why do 1d9 or 2d6 when you can do 3d6?
False. Basic spears HAVE a use: early on, before you find halberds.

And spears do 2d9 and tridents 3d6 and halberds 4d6, by the way.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 23 May 2007, 17:21

InvisibleTerror wrote:I've never used things which don't do anything by itself (like rings), just increase hit points or mana points by, say, 10. IMHO it's much better to sell them (every point "costs" 100 gold).
I said WEAPONS.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 23 May 2007, 17:23

DaveO wrote:I have to agree with masterpooba. Spears and tridents are fairly useless. There are no artifacts or relics in MM6 thru MM8 that make them attractive. I've used two handed swords for a while in an MM6 run, and even the cruddy starter equipment is good for at least the first 5-10 character levels.
False. Fairly useless does not equal useless. The Weapon I have in mind, the answer of the quiz question, is 100% useless at ALL points in the game.

This is not a discussion topic. It's a QUIZ. Guess the weapon is all you have to do. (For the record, yeah most artifacts are crap but Charele (MM7) is UBER)

InvisibleTerror
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby InvisibleTerror » 23 May 2007, 19:04

Isn't is something you have in your inventory at the very beginning?

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 23 May 2007, 19:50

InvisibleTerror wrote:Isn't is something you have in your inventory at the very beginning?
You're getting close.

Here's a LARGE hint: not all weapons given to you at the beginning are actually the weakest of their kind.

InvisibleTerror
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby InvisibleTerror » 23 May 2007, 20:12

After your hint I will guess: Is it a cutlass? (I don't understand it very well, but it seems to me that 3d3, 50 gold (longsword) is better than 2d4, 40 gold.) But I don't know whether both archer and paladin (they can both use the sword) have the longsword (or even better weapon) in the inventory at the beginning. Because if not, then the cutlass wouldn't be so useless.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 23 May 2007, 20:18

InvisibleTerror wrote:After your hint I will guess: Is it a cutlass? (I don't understand it very well, but it seems to me that 3d3, 50 gold (longsword) is better than 2d4, 40 gold.) But I don't know whether both archer and paladin (they can both use the sword) have the longsword (or even better weapon) in the inventory at the beginning. Because if not, then the cutlass wouldn't be so useless.
And Ladies and Gents, we finally have a winner!

Here's your prize­.

All classes that can choose Sword at the beginning will start with a Longsword (3d3) if selected.

So, yeah, +0 Cutlasses are COMPLETELY BEYOND WORTHLESS in both MM6 and MM7.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 23 May 2007, 21:42

Well, let's say for instance, that your Longsword (3d3) gets broken and no one has the Repair Skill. So naturally, if the +0 Cutlass was in your character's inventory, they could conceivably have a use for it.

Or suppose you don't pick the Sword Skill at the character creation screen for one of your characters; but later on you buy that skill for them, but then don't have enough gold left to buy a sword … if you had an extra +0 Cutlass in another character's inventory wouldn't it be at least a little bit useful? At least until you could afford to buy a decent sword or find one?

Okay, so the +0 Cutlass is a really crappy weapon … but it still has a use as an item to sell. Right?
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 23 May 2007, 22:00

HodgePodge wrote:Well, let's say for instance, that your Longsword (3d3) gets broken and no one has the Repair Skill. So naturally, if the +0 Cutlass was in your character's inventory, they could conceivably have a use for it.
The only place you're likely to use a basic crude Longsword is in Emerald Island and the beginning of Harmondale, and no enemies can break your weapons yet :) And later on when you fight enemies that can break your weapons, +3, +4 and +5 weapons are literally growing on trees. (That's also assuming you didn't harden your weapons)
Or suppose you don't pick the Sword Skill at the character creation screen for one of your characters; but later on you buy that skill for them, but then don't have enough gold left to buy a sword … if you had an extra +0 Cutlass in another character's inventory wouldn't it be at least a little bit useful? At least until you could afford to buy a decent sword or find one?
This is extremely improbable and never happened to me (or even came close to happening) in any of my MM6 and MM7 games, but if it did, I'd still rather use whatever melee weapon the character was using before learning Sword...
Okay, so the +0 Cutlass is a really crappy weapon … but it still has a use as an item to sell. Right?
If you consider selling as a use, then yes. :)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 23 May 2007, 22:08

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:The only place you're likely to use a basic crude Longsword is in Emerald Island and the beginning of Harmondale, and no enemies can break your weapons yet :) And later on when you fight enemies that can break your weapons, +3, +4 and +5 weapons are literally growing on trees. (That's also assuming you didn't harden your weapons)
But in MM6, what if you take the secret teleporter to Dragonsand early on? Those Dragons can break anything & everything! :-D
HodgePodge wrote:Or suppose you don't pick the Sword Skill at the character creation screen for one of your characters; but later on you buy that skill for them, but then don't have enough gold left to buy a sword … if you had an extra +0 Cutlass in another character's inventory wouldn't it be at least a little bit useful? At least until you could afford to buy a decent sword or find one?
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:This is extremely improbable and never happened to me (or even came close to happening) in any of my MM6 and MM7 games, but if it did, I'd still rather use whatever melee weapon the character was using before learning Sword...
Just a hypothetical scenario, but it could happen, so the +0 Cutlass could be useful in such a situation.
HodgePodge wrote:Okay, so the +0 Cutlass is a really crappy weapon … but it still has a use as an item to sell. Right?
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:If you consider selling as a use, then yes. :)
Oh yes, absolutely. :-D

masterpoobaa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby masterpoobaa » 24 May 2007, 01:19

in MM6 spears do 1d9 single handed, and 2d9 dual handed.
Ditto with tridents 2d6 + 1d6 2 handed.
Halberds are 3d6 + 1d6.

And yes... cutlass +0 is a worthless weapon also.
Ditto i think with nonmagical crossbows.
Why do 4d2 when u can do 5d2 with a better lookin bow? :-D
I feel the same thing with nonmagical blunt weapons... hammers do 2d5, but maces only 2d4. silly maces.
M&M VI - the best.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 24 May 2007, 02:30

masterpoobaa wrote:
Ditto i think with nonmagical crossbows.
Why do 4d2 when u can do 5d2 with a better lookin bow? :-D
I feel the same thing with nonmagical blunt weapons... hammers do 2d5, but maces only 2d4. silly maces.
But you start the game with +0 crossbows and +0 maces if you pick the corresponding skills. You might not find or buy all the +0 crude bows and +0 hammers for all your bow/mace using characters early on (Although one crude bow will always appear in that chest behind the tavern), so the basic weapons still get some small use. If all 4 characters start with the bow skill, you WILL need those starting crossbows. BUT for the +0 cutlass, it's completely useless because crude longswords already come for free.

But crossbows might be worthless in MM6 though. The way I play in MM6, I immediately cash in the 5K gold reward at the start at the game and get everybody the best bows available. But MM6 is stupidly designed when it comes with weapons (the best daggers are available at the start of the game, WTF?) and early quests. (teleport to the shrine of the gods early game)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Jun 2007, 23:46

Another quiz. This one is a lot simplier.
Not counting clubs, which weapon is the cheapest?
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 05 Jun 2007, 23:53

GrayFace wrote:Another quiz. This one is a lot simplier.
Not counting clubs, which weapon is the cheapest?
If I remember correctly, would that be a plain old dagger at the cheapo price of 8 gold?

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 06 Jun 2007, 03:57

I never use an axe, mostly because they are used by classes I usually don't play with.

How many MM7 games it took you to figure out there's a special item Medusa's Mirror in the Red Dwarf mines? ;)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 06 Jun 2007, 15:50

arturchix wrote:I never use an axe, mostly because they are used by classes I usually don't play with.

How many MM7 games it took you to figure out there's a special item Medusa's Mirror in the Red Dwarf mines? ;)
Hmmm, I can't remember that far back. :-D But it sure comes in handy as well as all those Cure Paralysis Potions. Those Medusae are pretty tough.

Return to “Might and Magic”