MM6 troubles in Windows XP!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

MM6 troubles in Windows XP!

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 13 May 2007, 18:54

Hi all,

I'm really loving this game and I can't imagine why I never played a might and magic before.

Pretty early on though I've encountered serious issues.

I'm using Mok's 1.3 patch that allows the game to run in windows xp and I've also had to enable compatibility with windows 95.

The game crashes/freezes whenever my party dies completely and it's also crashing whenever I enter Castle Ironfist. I also tried the mm6.exe file on this CH site but encountered the same issue.

Any thoughts?

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 13 May 2007, 22:45

That also happens to me sometimes. If you click Start/Run... from the task bar and type in 'dxdiag', you should be able to lower the sound acceleration by going to sound 1/sound 2 from the upper options and moving the selection bar below to the left. I think this helped me a little, as the game doesn't crash so often anymore.

Larec
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Larec » 14 May 2007, 08:51

I had the same problem, but after testing it out realized it wasn't really those two things crashing it, it was certain sound files being played.

Like when I died from magic attack, the sound of the magic fireballs hitting me would loop and cause a crash.

And when I entered Ironfist castle, I would crash only if I clicked the enter button too quickly and caused the game to play the "Let them pass" response.

I did a search on this forum right before I registered here on that, and found the old MSS32.dll file is what I needed. apparently mok's patch updates it and it can sometimes play not-so-nice with certain soundcards (I guess)

either way, I downloaded the older one from a poster on this site and the problem went away. Do a search, I know it's here somwhere. Hopefully it didn't fall off the board.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 14 May 2007, 15:14

Is the MSS32.DLL file available on the CD? I'd think that just copying and overwriting the modified .DLL file would resolve the problem.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

JMK
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JMK » 14 May 2007, 17:03

I have a problem where when I talk to prince Nicolai in castle Ironfist, and he bugs off to the circus that I cant get him beacause the circus never opens for me, and its not beacause of dates! I am neither a "noob", as I have almost every M and M game and completed the lot of em! Plz help me out!

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 15 May 2007, 00:11

I tried the old mss.dll but the game wouldn't start, shrinker error, so back to mok's patch. It's now crashing when fighting ruffians...so it isn't a specific sound effect though I do think it's a sound loop.

The castle Ironfist works if I wait.

Return to “Might and Magic”