Might and Magic X, Ideas and Suggestions

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 01 Sep 2007, 02:44

accabear wrote:I think that, judging from my skimming of the thread, that people would prefer a four player party than a six or eight or whatever?
It seems to me that when there are larger parties there are fewer tactical choices at character creation, because you can have everything. But that's mostly from my experience with MM8; it's been so long since I've played XEEN I don't remember if that was the same way.

Marcus333
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Marcus333 » 02 Sep 2007, 21:27

Secret_Holder wrote:Nah, the graphic engine is just to outdated, so I think it will be interesting to see how it will work.
Forunderlig forandring eller hva'? :D
Well, of course it will be interesting, but I just can't imagine playing MM with other graphics.

Hehe, jah... Vi får se :P

Dansker? Normand?

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

New Classes

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 03 Oct 2007, 08:11

When it comes to ideas I would like to see in MMX, I think I would be interesting if they had both race-variable and race-dependant classes. For example knight characters can be human,elven, dwarven, ext., buta class like a mummy could only be undead.
I think access to classes such as a seraphim, a fiend (cambion male or succubus female,) or a mummy as a class would be very interesting. They already have a wide variety of race-variable options, it is the race-dependant options where they can make things most interesting. :devil:

Bowerbank
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bowerbank » 03 Oct 2007, 12:09

You can take many ideas from other games but keeping the original frame of how people remember might and magic. theres plenty of good ideas here if only ubi would make it. I watched a video when they first anonced dark messiah they said they would consider continuing the original series of might and magic depending on the success of the might and magic games they were making.

considering dark messiah went gold before it had officaily been released and the success of heroes 5 sales wise i can't see what they are hessitating over. i cant see might and magic X being much of a gamble if they bring it back to the form 6-8 there are so many hardcores who desire the series it would be bound to be a success. they can take example of might and magic ix and see what not to create.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 03 Oct 2007, 12:58

More advanced (and logical) RPG elements I think are necessary. Might and Magic's non-linear gameplay never reeally felt all that 'non-linear' due to the lack of actual choice, decision and the controlled dialogue within the game compared to current and even then RPG's. Might and Magic X would work (and be created) ONLY they make it so that it appeals to the modern day market. Slapping Might and Magic into a new graphics engine and just changing some quests and making a couple hundred more items etc. wouldn't really appeal all that much to the current market. It certainly would with us hardcores but we are only of a tiny fraction. And besides Ubisoft only makes games for profit, that's what everyone does. They couldn't care less about old time gamers. Also I think personality for the party within the game would be necessary. People just don't like dull 2D player characters anymore.

In the end it all just boils down to keeping the old elements which made Might and Magic what it is, or putting in the new stuff to forward the game towards todays market. I think that forwarding it would be a necessary. But how far forward is a different matter.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 03 Oct 2007, 15:57

I seriously doubt that Ubi are the right company fir making MMX.
I mean look at the Heroes V storyline and compare it to the one that 3DO/NWC came up with.
They could only make it work if they found a very decent developer, because it will be hard without JVC around.
But I know this, Nival must keep their hands far away from MMX.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 03 Oct 2007, 23:58

Get Bioware to develop it. Although like I said, the chances of that happening are nil with the fact that Might and Magic wouldn't really be a guaranteed profit creator and the licenses is under Ubisoft.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 04 Oct 2007, 08:17

Bioware would be a good option, they could definetely add something interesting to MM.
Dansker? Normand?
Færing faktiskt :D

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 04 Oct 2007, 11:16

Damn right. Bioware makes the best games. Baldur's gate series and i heard KOTOR was good. Plus they made Neverwinter Nights and Icewindale.

dcinroc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dcinroc » 05 Oct 2007, 05:30

I'd basically like MMX to be a lot like MMVI-VIII.

First person view, turn-based combat. Keep the skills and training system largely intact.

What I'd like to see changed is better game balance. Some classes/spells/items/skills were too powerful, and others basically useless. Some quests were too easy, others too hard (for the relative rewards).

In my opinion, Knights were simply too pwoerful after the addition of GM Armsmaster. To balance that, perhaps a Sorcery skill could be added that gives bonuses to spell recovery/damage (just like in HoMM).

Also, better AI for the monsters.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 05 Oct 2007, 10:32

Definitely better AI for monsters. Balancing would be good, I guess since it was a single player game 3DO didn't bother to do too much in-depth balance testing. Also I would prefer Might and Magic X not to be a rehash of the old one with a new graphics engine and abit more balance and spells. I think it should have a fair few new elements inserted, make the wilderness actually feel like the wilderness, make the desert more like a desert and put in more player based decisions and a more central and easily understood storyline.

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 06 Nov 2007, 20:08

New cless ideas both start and progression: Centaur to Forest Guardian (can attqain GM in spear, bow, and perception, has ability to cast self-magic as an expert after promotion,) lycanthope to werewolf (can attain GM in new skill "claws", and regeneration,) raider to viking (no football reference intended, can attain GM in axe, chainmail, shield, and body building)

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 06 Nov 2007, 20:19

CoffeeGnome wrote:New cless ideas both start and progression: Centaur to Forest Guardian (can attqain GM in spear, bow, and perception, has ability to cast self-magic as an expert after promotion,) lycanthope to werewolf (can attain GM in new skill "claws", and regeneration,) raider to viking (no football reference intended, can attain GM in axe, chainmail, shield, and body building)
How about races getting access to new promotions instead? I don't like race-classes.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 06 Nov 2007, 20:34

I would concede to promotions for races but unfortunatly would that not force the issue that the race and the class would be one and the same? I could see variable classes for my centaur idea (and for that matter we could add the fray, halfling, orc, ogre, and many other race ideas into the mix.) However the werewolf and viking would have to be the classes themselves.
As for the "claws" skill, it would act much like the unarmed skill except the base damage would not be 1-2 but 1-4 instead. The to-hit would go up with every rank. At expert, master and grandmaster the base amounts would increase to 1-6, two claws for 1-8 each and two claws for 2-12 each. Additionally at expert rank would be added to damage amount, at master they will gain ability to attack with both claws in same round, and at grand master they would gain the ability to have a rank percentage chance to rend for tripple damage. Of coarse strength and bonuses from magic items could round-out the rest of the skill but, I think this weapon skill would open up new doors for new classes.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 07 Nov 2007, 11:25

Hmmm... I pretty much disagree with everything Coffee Gnome is saying. I reckon that the Viking and Centaur are sort of... just bland. New races with special abilities and unique stuff would be what I like to see. Nice ideas Coffee Dome but just not to my liking. I reckon that classes should be race restricted, but not too heavily. Race based promotions like you said wouldn't work out, unless a particular race was forced to select a particular class, but that would defeat the purpose of this all. Oh yeah and just to say having a party with a particular alignment (good/evil which would actually affect your decisions and dialog profoundly) would be pretty awesome too, I am sick of having the same dialog and decisions, no interesting talk or banter. Finally would a Centaur have a race specific class or would it be allowed to choose any? Because the way you mentioned it means it will be probably race specific.

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 07 Nov 2007, 16:21

Well that is the beauty of the centaur, it can go either class-specific or class-variable. I was thinking of a creature that could combine both of some peoples' favorite weapons (spear and bow) and both to the GM level. These are the weapons that centaurs had chosen in several Greek myths and later renditions of folklore (all except Narnia but I am not going there.) So it could work as it's own class. However as a race centaurs would be strong in personality, endurance and speed, making them excellent clerics, druids, paladins, or monks as well. This could allow them to just as easily be a class variable race as well.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 10 Nov 2007, 04:30

Sounds... fine I guess. Novel idea, although I think that only vaguely humanoid characters should be considered for playable races, although there is quite an exception in MM8. Although I think centaurs should have bonuses to personality, accuracy and maybe speed. But certainly not endurance. I also think that some classes should be race specific and others not so, but that seems beyond the point.

Return to “Might and Magic”