MM History question

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 31 Aug 2008, 19:17

Corlagon wrote:They are the only surviving two that we know of (presuming that Jerico is Morglin and the LoMM mission isn't on VARN). If it is on VARN, it seems odd that the description would note Roland and Archibald's war, since the VARNlings shouldn't know about it or Enroth at all.
Well, it says "generations after". It only implies its time regarding Succession Wars.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 31 Aug 2008, 19:18

Xel II wrote:Marzhin told me it tales place a year after Book I (in 537 AC)
Book 1 finishes in 537 AC ("Malustar has been King for over two years now")

So I guess Book III should be in 538, which is even worse :S

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 31 Aug 2008, 19:21

Corlagon wrote: Book 1 finishes in 537 AC ("Malustar has been King for over two years now")
"Malustar has been King for nearly two years". He became King in 535 and Book I started in 536.
If Nicolai was 23 in 521, he will be 38 in 537.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 31 Aug 2008, 19:27

Xel II wrote:"Malustar has been King for nearly two years".
Okay, sorry. I quoted from memory. Anyway, we can presume that the final map of Book I and Malustar's voyage to Chedian didn't take one day to finish. :P
Xel II wrote:He became King in 535 and Book I started in 536.
The website says it starts in 535. I thought Malustar's attack on Great Arcan should be a year after the first mission (it is in 536 according to Solmyr).
Xel II wrote:If Nicolai was 23 in 521, he will be 38 in 537.
I have 24 in 521 (Tim Lang's last comment on the Castle Gobs thread agrees that he should be 24) and Book III is one year after 537, so 538 - 497 (1155 Colonial Timeline, Nicolai's birthyear) = 41

Also, 537 - 521 = 16
23 + 16 = 39

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 31 Aug 2008, 20:13

Corlagon wrote:The website says it starts in 535. I thought Malustar's attack on Great Arcan should be a year after the first mission (it is in 536 according to Solmyr).
Website says he became King in 535.
Corlagon wrote:Also, 537 - 521 = 16
23 + 16 = 39
Well, Book III can be in very beginning of 537.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 31 Aug 2008, 20:24

Xel II wrote:Website says he became King in 535.
But he wasn't sitting in the Omega Hive for a year, was he? :P Besides, Milton's stabbing also happened in 535 according to the site, and the war began two months later. It was in full flow by 536. In addition, the opening of mission 1 doesn't suggest that Malustar killed Suraze much earlier than the mission actually began. The first mission also lasts for only about three weeks at most IIRC.

Also, Gauldoth's message reaches Solmyr in 536. So we can suppose that Book I starts in November of 535 and Gauldoth is defeated in January, or something.
Xel II wrote:Well, Book III can be in very beginning of 537.
Either way, Nicolai's not in his mid-thirties, so we have a problem.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 31 Aug 2008, 21:46

Corlagon wrote:It may be best to wait and see if Marzhin lends his opinions on these dates here so that we can work this out properly.

What we need to sort out:

1. The LotA date for the Reckoning (A.S.)
2. The LotA date for the Second Crossing (A.C.)
3. Nicolai's exact age in MMIX (so, in 521 A.C.)
4. Nicolai's exact age in Book III
5. The year Book III takes place in (A.C.)

Now, so far my estimates have been:

1. 1175 A.S.
2. 516 A.C.
3. 24 years of age
4. The maths say 41...?
5. Around 538 A.C.

So there are discrepancies here, since combining Tim Lang and Marzhin's estimates for Nicolai's age isn't possible (as he cannot be in his mid-thirties if Book III takes place after Book I).
OK, that'll teach me to answer PMs while relying on my own memories of a story I started writing two years ago...

1. The LotA date for the Reckoning (A.S.) -> 1175
2. The LotA date for the Second Crossing (A.C.) -> 521 A.C.
3. Nicolai's exact age in MMIX (so, in 521 A.C.) -> OK, you got me there, I always believed Nicolai was 19 at the time of MM9. But that doesn't change much storywise, instead of being in his mid-thirties he's 4O. Wow, big deal.
4. Nicolai's exact age in Book III -> See above.
5. The year Book III takes place in (A.C.) -> Book 3 starts at the end of 538. Malustar becomes King in 535, attacks Great Arcan at the beginning of 536, and finds the Staff of Blue Light in 537.
Corlagon wrote:Something else we know from LoMM is that Nicolai should have children at some point :)
You mean Legends of Might and Magic ? Is it possible to have more info about its storyline ?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 31 Aug 2008, 21:59

Marzhin wrote:OK, that'll teach me to answer PMs while relying on my own memories of a story I started writing two years ago...
OK sorry, I guess we did take it more than a bit too far here :sad:

Right, so if the Reckoning and Writ of Fate happened in the same year, then I guess there's actually no problem - Nicolai becomes 19 in MM9 of course, but indeed, big deal since Tim Lang was only relying on recollection. So it's fine, making Nicolai... um... 36 years old for Book III.

Anyway, thanks a lot for clearing things up. I'll begin fixing the Axeoth timeline to accomodate this.
Marzhin wrote:You mean Legends of Might and Magic ? Is it possible to have more info about its storyline ?
Sure, though it doesn't have a storyline per se, just a lot of maps with relevant descriptions when you start, win and lose missions. Avonu posted them all here:

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... &start=135

Well, thanks again :)

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 01 Sep 2008, 07:26

Thanks again Marzhin.
Marzhin wrote:5. The year Book III takes place in (A.C.) -> Book 3 starts at the end of 538. Malustar becomes King in 535, attacks Great Arcan at the beginning of 536, and finds the Staff of Blue Light in 537.
So, Book I started in 536?
Corlagon wrote:But he wasn't sitting in the Omega Hive for a year, was he? Besides, Milton's stabbing also happened in 535 according to the site
He could. It is said that he attacked Necros "after years of scheming" (time before he became King and after). Besides, it is stated in the first map of Book I that Gauldoth payed little attention to the Omega Hive and could not know that Suraze was no longer in charge.
It is only said on the site that "the quarrel between Palaedraand Great Arcan threatens to involve region in war". It just says that Palaedra and Arcan were on the brink of war. Milton's stabbing was just an "excuse" for war (similiar thing was in World War I).

Also, in LotA chronology (SFAIK), The Gathering Storm takes place in 527 and Winds of War takes place in 530. Book IV takes place 10 years after WoW, in around 540.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 18 May 2009, 23:33

Kareeah Indaga wrote:
Avonu wrote: about 1168-69 - MM7 and freed Roland (after 6 years of Kreegan's "hospitable")
Some sources say seven. >_< Poor Roland!
Yeah.. But if I was Roland I would be pretty pissed. On the Night of Shooting Stars, there were four adventurers in Sweet Water kicking Devil-arse. In fact, they were apparently doing such a good job at that, that the Devils had to get a Dragon to scare them off.
Then, Falagar spends 3 years training them and all of a sudden they can hardly kill Goblins :|
And then it takes them only a few months to regain their skills and basically kill every evildoer in the whole of Enroth.

I can only conclude that if Falagar had been a little more competant, they coulda saved Ronald in Kriegspire soon after he'd been caught :D
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Return to “Might and Magic”