Dark Messiah Demo Impressions

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Dark Messiah Demo Impressions

Unread postby Angelspit » 10 Aug 2006, 18:54

There is an interesting on Ctrl+Alt+Del about the Dark Messiah single-player demo. For once, it's not about the old crap about Ubisoft buying the M&M franchise and the game using the Steam engine that we have been reading about over and over during the last year. Instead, we get some hands-on impressions from an actual player:

"The game is first person, but if you look down you can see your body. I always like that in games. It's less immersive when you're just a disembodied head. Anyway, the reason I mention this in particular is because, during one fight with a vicious looking goblin/orc thing, he actually grabbed me by the neck and lifting me into the air. All I could do was look down helplessly as he grimaced at me, and then flung me backwards. As I landed hard on my back, stunned, I saw my body laid out and the orc walking my way."

It sounds cool.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Aug 2006, 21:37

Try having that first orc you encounter grab you, and then throw you out over the edge... only to find that you ended on the chain and apparantly had the wits to hold on. /For future reference: Orcs are stupid) Then you jump back, defeat said orc, and find that your belt have dissapeared and can't be found :( . Restart.

Oh, and orcs apparantly are deaf, or to stupid to figure out that if they hear swords clashing, they should band up and investigate (note: Orcs are really stupid).
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 10 Aug 2006, 22:49

Gaidal Cain wrote:(note: Orcs are really stupid).
Hey, stop insulting my cousins. :D

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 10 Aug 2006, 23:22

Angelspit wrote: Hey, stop insulting my cousins. :D
Canadians are realted to orcs? Actually, now that I think about it, it makes sense now ... :hoo:
Be Without Haste
Live the Moment

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Aug 2006, 06:28

Orcs can grab you? 8| Ill have to let them,then!

Also,you can try setting a barel or a crate on fire,then throwing it at them and watch them burn!But dont wait for too long,or youll be the one burning :D

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 11 Aug 2006, 13:47

DaemianLucifer wrote:Orcs can grab you? 8| Ill have to let them,then!

Also,you can try setting a barel or a crate on fire,then throwing it at them and watch them burn!But dont wait for too long,or youll be the one burning :D
You know, I set a basket on fire and took no damage from picking it up -_- Eventually the fire just went out (which was stupid - it was a wicker basket for crying out loud!)

slakinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby slakinator » 11 Aug 2006, 17:45

lol , i killed all the orcs and had a nice bonfire with them... they make really nice company :D i picked one up outa the blaze (he was pretty well lit up) and didnt take ne damage till he had gone out and it was just a like a scratch. this leads me to think theyve got something wrong with the cooridination between the animation and the actaul ocation f the fire on the burnig object

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Aug 2006, 19:16

When I light something on fire,and pick it up,it doesnt hurt until the fire starts burning hot(so to speak),so I have a few seconds to pick up and throw the item.If I pick it up,or cary it later,it hurts.A lot.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 14 Aug 2006, 10:05

as it should

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 14 Aug 2006, 16:55

Two things: First of all, the game requires more power than HL2. I can play the demo, but the fire spell, cinematics and the underwater effect are shown as white stuff.
Second of all, the demo is ridiculously short. I did enjoy it though, and I'd probably like it a lot if my computer could run it better.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 15 Aug 2006, 03:32

does anyone have the download size handy? i heard about a gig?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Aug 2006, 04:50

1.4 GB,if i remember correctly.Squeezed everything out of it,and deleted.Now bring on the game,so I can kill ze orcs :devil:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 15 Aug 2006, 05:06

thanks DL

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 17 Aug 2006, 02:17

I will post a short review of the demo in 2 or 3 days, mostly for people who could not play the demo. Stay tuned.

JonahFalcon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby JonahFalcon » 24 Aug 2006, 01:22

Here's my review:

FUN! Best use of the Source physics engine aside from HL2, and there's a ton of inventive ways to play.

Return to “Might and Magic”