Good Sales + Arkane = Might and Magic X?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Good Sales + Arkane = Might and Magic X?

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 Jul 2006, 18:46

Let's do some math:

* Heroes V has been selling like hot cakes;
* Oblivion and Dungeon Siege II are the proof that RPG are still hot;
* Arkane was behind the critically-acclaimed Arx Fatalis, an innovative RPG;
* Arkane Studios is doing a great job so far with Dark Messiah;
* with Heroes V out for a while and Dark Messiah going gold before long, there soon won't be any announced Might and Magic game under development.

Isn't it time we suggest Ubisoft asks Arkane to start working on Might and Magic X? I feel like it's time to start making some noise. Who's with me?

Zombie_Inc
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Zombie_Inc » 27 Jul 2006, 20:26

I never had the chance to play the non-Heroes M&M, but sure, what the heck, good RPGs are always good (hmm, weird sentence... :| )

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Jul 2006, 20:51

* Oblivion and Dungeon Siege II are the proof that RPG are still hot;
Diablo-style RPGs, that is.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 27 Jul 2006, 21:35

Oblivion diablo-style? :|
Was Arx Fatalis at least average? I haven`t played it, but few friends had and said that it was pure crap.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 28 Jul 2006, 08:58

I'm not sure Arkane will be interested. In interviews they always say "traditionnal" RPGs is not really their thing.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 28 Jul 2006, 13:50

Let's be realistic here. Bethesda is the only developer with experience with massive open-ended RPGs. While M&M had open-ended design, MM9 was supposed to implement NPC schedules and change the look of the 'dated' MM6 engine. Everyone knows how that turned out. I can't really comment on Arkane's Arx Fatalis, but it sounded more like a homage to Ultima Underworld.

A project like M&M 10 would be a massive and quite possibly impossible undertaking. As much as I hate to admit it, the emphasis is on graphics more than it was around the time of the demise of 3DO. Look at Oblivion and Knights of the Old Republic as examples. It's nice to see HoMM5 sell well, and I truly hope that if another HoMM game is made further improvements can be made to the series.

Here's where the challenges to MM10 lie: Keeping the game massive with multiple maps, lots of dungeons, and a huge range of quests which should include creative quests instead of the unimaginative FedEx quests that have been rampant in design. Keeping the open design that MM6 had would be a difficult challenge, but it could be achieved.

Personally, I'd like to see a lot of playable NPC types just like Phantasie for the 8 bit machines but would be willing to accept a minimum of 6 playable races. There's a huge opportunity in revamping the professions and giving a player freedom, and possibly allowing custom classes. This would be difficult in terms of the promotions players got used to starting in MM6. I think the lack of freedom in terms of skills hurt the subsequent sales of MM7 and especially MM8. Make Might oriented characters a bit better in terms of competing with the power of Magic in the mid to late game.

P.S. - I would not classify Dungeon Siege 2 as an RPG no matter what the box says. It's an action game with 'RPG' thrown in to make sales, just like Diablo and Diablo 2 were.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

MightMagic

Unread postby gravyluvr » 28 Jul 2006, 14:12

I am all for chants for a new Might and Magic game.

If Ubisoft is going to farm out all the work, then I would rather see as many projects as possible. The Franchise will thrive when we start getting a variety of products that skew in many directions.

JVC always mentioned that he found recreating the games every two years very boring. But when you farm it out and get new fresh faces you start getting both originality to the new versions and (gulp) change.

If Nival does HOMM
If Arcane does DMMM
A 3rd party can do Might and Magic

In fact, I'd love to see Ubisoft start to look at additional directions for the franchise. Let HOMM be the TBS, let MM be the RPG, let DMMM be the FPS and then add an additional project in there.

I would love to see a Creatures of Might and Magic MMORPG come out where you can be a stack of creatures in an army. Wouldn't it be cool to be a huge stack of Griffins or the big blackie on the battlefields? When you die, you just reappear at your dwelling!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 01 Aug 2006, 22:52

I found Arx Fatalis a very good CRPG. But i would not prefer
to see this dev. team to create the new MnM(is it really sure that
a new MnM is going to come out??). The reason is this dev. team
from the 2 projects that became famous are two not-so-classic rpgs,
as MnM series are.

As for my dreams about a new MnM: I would prefer to see a new
graphick engine, but i really don't care if it is smth special. But
I am sure that I want to see again a totaly free-to-explore huge
world, many many quests, detailed and clever skill system and
of-course a new story based on the already rich history of MnM
serie. I don't want to see the mistakes of MnM 9 again: many bugs,
poor skill system, empty rooms n places, poor sound, poor maps
and of-course I want our paper-dolls back :p

The idea of a MMORPG based on MnM series is smth really great.
And my opinion is that is more possible to hear an anouc. about
a MMORPG than a RPG, because the game industry realize how
much it earns for the mmorpg(count how many mmorpgs gone
out the last year, we see a mmo-revolution :p).And the MnM games
have a rich backround/world that can be easily part of a mmo game.

But my hope is to see the father of the series JVC back to MnM,
then I am sure we will see a great RPG.
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Magnus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Good Sales + Arkane = Might and Magic X?

Unread postby Magnus » 12 Aug 2006, 15:14

Angelspit wrote:Isn't it time we suggest Ubisoft asks Arkane to start working on Might and Magic X? I feel like it's time to start making some noise. Who's with me?
I'm with you, there should be new might and magic at least every year :)

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 12 Aug 2006, 18:18

Sure enough. I'm with you.

Could you perhaps also create a thread about this at the ubi tavern or something? Would cary more weight if it was you than if it is me :baby:

Sgt_BFG
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Sgt_BFG » 13 Aug 2006, 11:59

I'm down for this plan! :D

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 14 Aug 2006, 10:11

sounds alright, but there are maybe some other contenders for the prize as well ....

Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Apeman » 15 Aug 2006, 09:12

Might and Magic must be resurrected! It's the series that started it all, X should be the revival of the series.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 15 Aug 2006, 14:34

Part of the reason of the demise of 3DO was the push to release a new M&M game every year. Going into 3D was definitely breaking new ground with MM6, but that took a long time to be developed and released. Subsequent M&M games did not provide much improvement, and MM9 may have been better with more time put into it. Let's not push any development of MMX to be rushed into release. The last thing a series revival needs is to be labeled as unfinished and needing patches in order to fix design or game bugs.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 15 Aug 2006, 17:47

The problem just is that Timbecile, I forgott his real name :( , told us that to his knowledge they aren't developin MM X... And it would be gret if we could come with suggestions and all that 1 - 3 years before the game comes out...

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 15 Aug 2006, 17:59

I think Tim Lang (;)) was referring to Nival's project. But perhaps Ubisoft had discussions with other companies, including Arkane.

By the way, my original plan was to create a small Web site (something like celestialheavens.com/mm10, or perhaps a domain name of its own) that would explain what MM10 could be like, using screenshots from DM, M&M games, and Arx Fatalis. An open letter to Ubisoft combined with a petition.

In any case, I think it might be better to wait until Dark Messiah is out before making any noise. If the game gets scores in the 90s, it will be easy to get the support of RPG fans among the Dark Messiah players. I'm afraid that my word alone won't have more weight than any other fan's.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 15 Aug 2006, 19:30

Ofcourse :) looking forward to get something to do again on the net (and hopefully get a great game too).

And I knew what his name was :| just wanted to test if you knew :devious: :D
-I'm horrible at names :(

Return to “Might and Magic”