Ancients

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Hypnos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Ancients

Unread postby Hypnos » 26 Jul 2006, 19:36

Does anybody know who they are and where did they come from? :|

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 27 Jul 2006, 08:44

Not really. The Ancients are an elderly and highly tech-advanced race that created most of the worlds where the M&M games take place. They created cyborg-like Guardians to watch over those worlds. And their technology allowed them to travel from one world to another with portals.

Escaton
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Escaton » 27 Jul 2006, 15:50

So who they are? Humans , elves or maybe cyborgs? I want to know their race.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 03 Aug 2006, 12:53

Escaton wrote:So who they are? Humans , elves or maybe cyborgs? I want to know their race.
It is hinted they may be humans (well, it is also hinted they are actually from Star Trek - no kidding).

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 08 Aug 2006, 09:07

Marzhin wrote:It is hinted they may be humans (well, it is also hinted they are actually from Star Trek - no kidding).
Well, yes and no.
If you were thinking about crew of VARN under Dragondsand then they can be humans not Ancient (but humans with knowlegde how to pilotage spaceship or how to repair computers).

There is some info about Ancients in MM3 manual - even names five of them.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 Aug 2006, 10:52

Some time ago Echo contributed with manual from MM2, which was very enlightening. Though I didn't see there any connection with StarTrek :D Maybe if some volunteer would be capable of adding something from MM3, it wasn't be bad idea either? ;)

Here are also hints on ch pages :angel: :angel:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 08 Aug 2006, 11:37

Avonu wrote:
Marzhin wrote:It is hinted they may be humans (well, it is also hinted they are actually from Star Trek - no kidding).
Well, yes and no.
If you were thinking about crew of VARN under Dragondsand then they can be humans not Ancient (but humans with knowlegde how to pilotage spaceship or how to repair computers).

There is some info about Ancients in MM3 manual - even names five of them.
Are the "Forces of the Dome" from MM3 Ancients or not ? That's the whole question...

The Star Trek joke is in MM5, when you free Corak from the stasis chamber, you must enter the ultimate goal of the Ancients as password, and it's "to go where no man has gone before" which is a famous quote from Star Trek. Not to mention the USS Lincoln from MM7... :D

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 08 Aug 2006, 12:21

Marzhin wrote:Are the "Forces of the Dome" from MM3 Ancients or not ? That's the whole question...
Well, we will never sure for 100% but they probably are Ancients. In legeng writing by Corak is said:
...After the battle was over and the champions had used the powers of the Dome gave them to drive Elemental lords to the corners of the Void, the five Forces pick up the land that had been the battlefield and moved through the heavens, from the gates of the Ancients to the gates of Terra, where the land was set in the midst of water and broken into isles...

Next in th ending of MM3 game, you have to visit spaceship and from it "computers" you learning that is Ancient's ship (probably CRON and isles were VARNs).
Marzhin wrote:The Star Trek joke is in MM5, when you free Corak from the stasis chamber, you must enter the ultimate goal of the Ancients as password, and it's "to go where no man has gone before" which is a famous quote from Star Trek. Not to mention the USS Lincoln from MM7... :D
Yes, I know it. But Ancients are not Starfleet and are not from Star Trek universe.
Did you ever look close to Ancients logo? (well NWC logo - but in the end of MM3-5 was info where Ancient's HQ is located :) )

I lately played GalCiv2 and there is familiar logo:
(link)

After searching in net I found some info about that logo.
This logo is from Star Trek: The Orginal Series but from "mirror universe" where exist evil Terrian Empire.
So I wrote: yes - they are from Star Trek but no - they are not Starfleet.

Karienne
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Karienne » 03 Dec 2006, 16:42

Also, isn't it VIII where one of the answers to a puzzle is SPOCK spelled bacwards?
The guys that did this game, from all the info I've ever read about them and of the games, are/were Trekkies to the hilt.

So yes, this is a true fact.

Aku
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Aku » 04 Dec 2006, 00:08

Actually it was in MM6 Tomb of Varn. Not only Spock, captains code was krik refering of course to captain Kirk ;) (I remember it 'cause I've just finished the game yesterday).

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 18 Feb 2007, 19:30

Marzhin wrote:Not to mention the USS Lincoln from MM7... :D
Rather BS Lincoln ;)

Check this picture and this picture (ship from original series).

Is it mean that planet from MM6-8 and HoMM1-3 is lost 13-th colony :D?
(Yes, I know that is only easter egg.)

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 18 Feb 2007, 20:33

Neat. :D

I remember I used to think the ‘Lincoln’ was a reference to a President the MM universe has never had…:)

Return to “Might and Magic”