about the M&M series

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

about the M&M series

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 09 Jun 2006, 19:50

Ok. amazon.com is selling a copy of M&M6:special edition for $10
I have been curious about HoMM's sister series for quite some time now and I'm wondering how these games play and if it's worth putting down $10 for them.
Thanks!

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 09 Jun 2006, 20:37

Of course it is, as long as dated graphics don't bother you. I played this game two years ago, under Windows XP.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 09 Jun 2006, 21:24

no, dated graphics don't bother me but I am confused about how the game plays . a first person RPG? Screenshots I have seen make the game look confusing.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 09 Jun 2006, 21:35

It's a party-based RPG with a first-person view. Movement is similar to the early first-person shooters. You control up to four characters at once, and combat is real-time but you can (and will!) switch to turn-based.

You should probably look for a full review at a site like GameSpot.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 09 Jun 2006, 21:38

Party-based RPG:s with a first-person view. You can put them in turn-based mode if shooters doesn't rock your boat, meaning that each round, your characters and enemy mosters will get one (or sometimes more) attack/spell, and get to move a small distance as well. If you've played Wizardry, the basics is a lot like that, only far less complicated.

Edit: Hum. Very similar choice of words here.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 10 Jun 2006, 01:52

sweet, that sounds cool!

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 10 Jun 2006, 02:16

Of the last four of the series, MM6 was the best, after that unfortunately the series slide downhill, I feel slowly as I enjoyed 7 and 8 as well. I never finished MM9, and for a long time have waited for TELP to finish their 1.4 patch, but that seems to still be a long way off. But if you do decide to play all four of these do download TELP's 1.3 patch for MM9 as it does cure most if not all game killing bugs. Now all of the MM series do have patches that fixed important issues, finding some of these patches may be difficult. I know CH has several Heroes patches, but I am not sure about the MM patches. ;|
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 10 Jun 2006, 17:59

meh, no I think i'll just get them up to 7 because 8 is unbalanced and buggy and 9 is probably not that good anyway

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Jun 2006, 19:11

Deadguy118 wrote:meh, no I think i'll just get them up to 7 because 8 is unbalanced and buggy and 9 is probably not that good anyway
I can give you that 8 is ubalanced with the dragons (which you don't need to use), but buggy? Not really.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 11 Jun 2006, 13:47

Ok. amazon.com is selling a copy of M&M6:special edition for $10
I have been curious about HoMM's sister series for quite some time now and I'm wondering how these games play and if it's worth putting down $10 for them.
Thanks!
Sister series? more like Mother-Daughter series :) but yeah, if ya serious about M&M ya should atleast try the original series out.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: about the M&M series

Unread postby HodgePodge » 11 Jun 2006, 18:13

Deadguy118 wrote:Ok. amazon.com is selling a copy of M&M6:special edition for $10
Thanks!
Definetely worth $10 … in my opinion, Might & Magic VI is the greatest role playing game ever! It's so much fun that I've played it over 30 times (I've lost count) in the last eight years. With "Mok's Patch" you shouldn't have any problems playing it under Windows XP. I think you'll just love it. Even the graphics aren't bad at all.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 12 Jun 2006, 02:02

jeff wrote:Of the last four of the series, MM6 was the best, after that unfortunately the series slide downhill, I feel slowly as I enjoyed 7 and 8 as well.
I’d argue that the series didn’t start going downhill until 8, but as I’d be arguing with you over your opinion I won’t. ;)

I’d say it’s worth MORE than $10, but if you’ve found it for that go for it. :-D

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 13 Jun 2006, 04:09

I'd say the main problems with MM8 are that there are obvious signs that it was rushed, poorly planned for character promotions(some are rediculously easy), and the Dragon fire attack never misses. Way too powerful! But the game does have a Minotaur as a selectable character so I suppose waiting another 10+ years to play one again(after the Phantasie series for 8 bit computers) might be worth the wait.

P.S. - If you can stick with the older graphics, MM3 and especially Worlds of Xeen are gems of the M&M series. Well worth the trouble to play these two, and I'd seriously doubt they'll ever be topped even in the 'new' emphasis on graphics over gameplay. You'd think many designers would learn after a few years on how to make a game well, and there are far too many mediocre or shoddy efforts for my tastes and preferences. Especially in the slow release RPG market.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 13 Jun 2006, 06:51

jeff wrote:Of the last four of the series, MM6 was the best, after that unfortunately the series slide downhill, I feel slowly as I enjoyed 7 and 8 as well.
For saying MM7 is a downhill game (however slowly): :beheading:

I like it slightly better than 6 for the whole sidechoosing deal :) Also, I played it before 6, that always helps. 8 is enjoyable too.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 Jun 2006, 09:54

DaveO wrote:I'd say the main problems with MM8 are that there are obvious signs that it was rushed, poorly planned for character promotions(some are rediculously easy), and the Dragon fire attack never misses. Way too powerful!
You know, you don't have to use a dragon. I don't think it can GM in anything you cann't get another way. And the promotion quests are indeed of vastly differing toughness. The Cleric of the Sun one is a joke...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 13 Jun 2006, 10:12

Dragon is the only that can GM ID item. But that's not really a big deal, a Necromancer with M and decent skill\some +skill items can ID anything.

And you have to remember that if you were to have a harder than dead easy quest to get cleric of the sun the pansy do-gooders would never make it :D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 13 Jun 2006, 13:43

Well, the Dragon should not have been a recruitable character until you're level 50 AND have the quests to go into the Planes. They should have limited the Dragon attack to the fire ball casting effect it has. The standard breath attack always hits, bypasses any resistances, and gets too powerful too easily. Talk about an unbalanced design decision.

The cleric promotion quest is just one that is too easy. The Dark Elf promotion is a huge gaping flaw that lets you obtain a level 50 character after minimal effort and travel.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 Jun 2006, 19:48

DaveO wrote:Well, the Dragon should not have been a recruitable character until you're level 50 AND have the quests to go into the Planes. They should have limited the Dragon attack to the fire ball casting effect it has. The standard breath attack always hits, bypasses any resistances, and gets too powerful too easily. Talk about an unbalanced design decision.
And to add insult to injury, it comes with flying...
The cleric promotion quest is just one that is too easy. The Dark Elf promotion is a huge gaping flaw that lets you obtain a level 50 character after minimal effort and travel.
Dark Elf and Troll are both easy. But Cauri doesn't really have anything to do with the promotion quest's difficulty...

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 15 Jun 2006, 15:57

whoa! while I was away my simple topic turned into a discussion! It's okay I ordered M&M1-7 (because of M&M 6 SE) off amazon but the shipping cost $7 for M&M6 but only $3.91 for M&M7.

I still am considering getting M&M 8 but it cost me $45 total at amazon (I also got the oblvion guide for another $10) and I'm tight on cash

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Jun 2006, 16:29

Deadguy118 wrote:whoa! while I was away my simple topic turned into a discussion! It's okay I ordered M&M1-7 (because of M&M 6 SE) off amazon but the shipping cost $7 for M&M6 but only $3.91 for M&M7.

I still am considering getting M&M 8 but it cost me $45 total at amazon (I also got the oblvion guide for another $10) and I'm tight on cash
Those are great prices for two very good games (yes Ethric MM 7 is a good game some people are so sensitive). IMO MM8 was also one of the best RPGs ‘available at the time.’ The main criticisms were the game engine was getting old (it had been around since MM6), there was nothing really new except the dragon hero which unbalanced things, and the story was not as engaging as the previous editions. Though they did reintroduce the ability to change the NPCs in the adventuring party. All of those criticism were true as 3DO was trying to milk some more money before MM9 came out; unfortunately their strategy was flawed causing MM9 to be released too soon, and this effectively ended the series at least for now. Despite my liking MM8, wait for a better price, $45 is far too much particularly since MM6 & 7 are so reasonably priced.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Return to “Might and Magic”