Multiplayer for MMMerge [beta 14.01.2024/4]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 24.05.2023]

Unread postby Novi » 24 May 2023, 22:35

Another thing I forgot to mention was training. If all players are inside a training center, things are fine. But if one player trains while the other is outside, the time will fast forward with all the negatives simply waiting outside for 8 days would bring.

neutonm
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby neutonm » 26 May 2023, 20:45

Fucking amazing! Thank you for doing this1

Couple of minor bugs:

I played with a friend and I threw my weapons for him to cast fire aura. Once it was out, he couldn't re-cast it. It says 'Spell failed' and nothing happens. No buffs were present at that time. I had vampiric weapon scroll spell and I coudln't cast it on swords either.

Some of same NPC had different professions.

Pathfinding is a bit weird. When we went fighting wolves in Ravenshore, some wolves preffered to go elsewhere, for some reason towards north-west part of the map.

I took a scholar NPC as a hireling, but he couldn't provide infinite item identification, only gave learning bonus.

Mercs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mercs » 27 May 2023, 00:40

0) Global cosmetic issue is lack of feedback. When other characters attack monsters in melee, there is no sound played, they just weirdly swing their weapons in silence. I think should play sound for other players when they swing. Same goes for arrow attacks.
1) Unconfirmed, but I think only improved pathfinding makes enemies run away randomly while not being damaged. We turned improved off and I haven't seen it lately.
2) We put Monster Bolstering to 120% today and game is no longer easy, finally. It will take some time to get it on video though, since videos I post are actually way behind our current progress. I recommend setting at least 110% or 115% as a default option w/ multiplayer (meaning it should be that value by default packaged with the multiplayer mod).
3) Player sprite scale can be an issue, since every sprite and sprite color has it's own scale and some are really big. Kinda limits your options.
4) Fast mobs still appear sometimes on 24.05.
5) Not sure if map resetting was fixed. Unconfirmed.
6) Still sometimes get loaded in another place.
7) Seen some Red pirate wizards turn into Lesser Fire Elementals on death or maybe they summon those idk. Specifically the ones in location where submarine is. Haven't seen it since. IDK.
8) Had an option to go to regna with town portal before we even did the submarine quest.
9) Had an issue in temple of the sun where we determined that if a player who does not have the quest player character cleric from Necromancers who is supposed to show you a hidden switch DOES NOT enter the location first, it breaks the quest for everyone because the switch never appears afterwards. Had to load the game and have the correct player with cleric in party enter first.
10) Bumping into each other while invisible seems to cancel invisibility. And since everyone is literally invisible it's hard not to bump into each other lol.
11) Map exploration still resets every time you enter area, map goes fog of war.
12) Bumping into friendly Fire Spikes triggers them.
13) Still sometimes get an issue where one player can't see other players. We have determined that reentering location will help sometimes.

Videos #3 and #4
Those still have monster bolstering 100% and it's super easy :( We regret not applying higher bolstering earlier and new player WILL NOT KNOW about it, so I believe higher bolstering should be pre-packaged for better experience playing the mod! Also maybe turn off improved pathfinding and weather effects by default, idk.

PS. Author of "Sword Swing mod" wrote a comment on youtube about him allowing to prepackage his "Sword Swing Mod" with the MP mod. Actually, it's not such a bad idea because everyone plays one character anyway and it will add to melee gameplay feedback greatly I think. Test it out sometime and see what you think! https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/17628 I have not tested the mod myself. I wonder if it will show animation for just the player attacking or everyone. If latter - this is actually even better, since, as I've pointed out above - combat feedback for melee AND other characters is an issue.

Mercs
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 27.05.2023]

Unread postby Mercs » 27 May 2023, 17:09

OH YES

The names are a bit long though, maybe ignore the class part and limit showing the name to just a few letters. Or not show names at all.
Last edited by Mercs on 27 May 2023, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 27 May 2023, 17:11

Hello. 27.05.2023 update is up:
- Pathfinder and multiplayer had one conflicting hook, which is resolved now: monster won't go in senseless directions anymore;
- Bolster and pathfinding settings are now properly synchronized and conrolled by host;
- Bolster synchronization have been fixed - no more super fast monsters;
- Simple UI for remote players have been added for spell target selection and potions usage;
- Fixed bug that caused spell recovery times to be longer than necessary.
Mercs wrote:Videos #3 and #4
Thanks for the vids. I see, players on minimap are still displayed as green dots, though i've added routine to recolor them in update 21.05.2023. What version of multiplayer did you use on these recordings?
Dots supposed to be pink-ish like this:
Mercs wrote:Seen some Red pirate wizards turn into Lesser Fire Elementals on death or maybe they summon those idk. Specifically the ones in location where submarine is. Haven't seen it since. IDK.
This is effect of bolster, some high-level monsters get ability to summon stuff. Probably Blackwell Cooper was bolstered that way.
Mercs wrote:PS. Author of "Sword Swing mod" wrote a comment on youtube about him allowing to prepackage his "Sword Swing Mod" with the MP mod. Actually, it's not such a bad idea because everyone plays one character anyway and it will add to melee gameplay feedback greatly I think. Test it out sometime and see what you think! https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/17628 I have not tested the mod myself. I wonder if it will show animation for just the player attacking or everyone. If latter - this is actually even better, since, as I've pointed out above - combat feedback for melee AND other characters is an issue.
I will check this out.
Mercs wrote:One thing I can report from today we had a lot of instances where:
1) one player pressed Connect and nothing happened, we had to waste a lot of time reentering codes and the game over and over again
Could you comment this one, is this still an issue? Have any improvements happened after last updates?
neutonm wrote: I took a scholar NPC as a hireling, but he couldn't provide infinite item identification, only gave learning bonus.
Well. Infinite item identification was a long time bug. This NPC supposed to identify limitless only magic items, i.e. rings, amulets, gloves, wands, scrolls etc. I've got used to him being ultimate identificator too, but it makes Identify Item skill pointless.

UI for remote players look like this:
It can be enabled / disabled with eye icon, it shows up to three closest players ordered by their ID. You can click character portrait, when selecting spell target, instead of monster, or use keybind ctrl + ID according to UI. Also you can use keybind, while holding potion in cursor, then it will be applied to remote player - this is the way to raise unconcious players with red flasks.
Clicking on portrait with potion in cursor does not work at the moment. Also only limited range of potions work this way: ones that cure wounds and cure status effects.
I'd like to make health bar, instead of showing HP numbers, and use icons for range and turn based phase indicators, but it is complicated at the moment.

Mercs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mercs » 27 May 2023, 18:24

crash when entering plane of air
singleplayer works fine, error msg has to do w/ sync:
soft locked progress
Spoiler
...Modules\Multiplayer\Synchronization/Players/Position.lua:199: attempt to set array length to 428, maximum length is 400

stack traceback:
: in function 'error'
C:\MM8\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1348: in function 'SetLen'
C:\MM8\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1393: in function '__newindex'
...Modules\Multiplayer\Synchronization/Players/Position.lua:199: in function 'v'
C:\MM8\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:66: in function 'docall'
C:\MM8\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:126: in function 'Call'
...\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Synchronization/Sprites.lua:218: in function 'f'
C:\MM8\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Utils.lua:265: in function 'v'
C:\MM8\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:101: in function <C:\MM8\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:96>

arguments of '__newindex':
t = (table: 0x13233f38)
a = "count"
v = 428

upvalues of '__newindex':
ptr = nil
u4 = (table: 0x03417a90)
GetPtr = (function: 0x031b2370)
obj = (table: 0x0560e4a8)
o = 5414748
assertnum = (function: 0x03466390)
error = (function: 0x031a40d0)
type = (function: builtin#3)
SetLen = (function: 0x03452b60)
low = 0
GetLen = (function: 0x0524d148)
lenP = 5419548
lenA = (table: 0x034184e8)
size = 12
count = 400
_index = nil
_newindex = nil
tonumber = (function: builtin#17)
beyondLen = nil
f = (function: 0x0524d0b8)
format = (function: builtin#91)
sOutOfBounds = "array index (%s) out of bounds [%s, %s]"
tostring = (function: builtin#18)
tostring2 = (function: 0x034663f8)[/spoiler]

UPD. worked around by using single player mode to finish quest
Last edited by Mercs on 27 May 2023, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

Mercs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mercs » 27 May 2023, 18:42

UPD. also one of the clients have the error of different kind but even in single player mode:
basically all of the savegames are bricked, because some file is stuck in data folder in "being open in application" state even though the game is not running. restarting computer now, should probably help.

UPD. It helped.

> Could you comment this one, is this still an issue? Have any improvements happened after last updates?

It's the same player having an issue. He is always able to connect on second try. First try fails like 8/10 times.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 27 May 2023, 18:56

Mercs wrote: 27 May 2023, 18:42 UPD. also one of the clients have the error of different kind but even in single player mode:
<image>
basically all of the savegames are bricked, because some file is stuck in data folder in "being open in application" state even though the game is not running. restarting computer now, should probably help.

UPD. It helped.
Issues like that happen from time to time. You can just close programs until file is freed, which may be difficult because sometimes completely unrelated programs block. I noticed cloud backup programs are especially prone to this. Alternatively, you can download process hacker or process explorer (Sysinternals) to search for handles to the file and you'll (hopefully) find out which process is blocking.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

Mercs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mercs » 27 May 2023, 22:17

Just finished MM8 and had a discussion about our experience.

Absolute worst issue happening to us is monsters respawning. It usually goes like this - somebody's game crashes due to whatever issue and we rehost the game. To do that, both host and clients have to load their game. And when they do, everyone finds themselves in situation where all monsters around them respawned (and with minotaur town case the flooding level also completely reset so we had to redo it from scratch). So basically you crash, then you load in the middle of monster horde, then you have to run out (hopefully), then you have to exchange codes and stuff, then you have to do the content all over again and pray you don't crash. This is kinda crushing, so I guess solving this should be given priority. Like crashing is OK as long as you can just load and continue. But when you also lose progress after crash it hurts a lot.

Other important thing I felt (unconfirmed) - I think Bolstering kinda resets. Like it shows you 120% on the menu, but you have to actually put it on 125% and then back on 120% and then go to another location to feel it working again. And it's important because you need bolstering to enjoy the game in multiplayer without adding some kind of difficulty mods into the mix.

I will post the videos later.
Thank you!

PS. Also, with lower priority, but I was actually able to re-flood the repaired minotaur town by accidentally pulling a lever. I don't think it was possible before in Merge?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 28.05.2023]

Unread postby Rodril » 27 May 2023, 23:10

Updated version name to 28.05.2023, due to included hotfix for Plane of Air issue.

Mercs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mercs » 28 May 2023, 09:05

Rodril wrote: 27 May 2023, 17:11 I see, players on minimap are still displayed as green dots, though i've added routine to recolor them in update 21.05.2023. What version of multiplayer did you use on these recordings?
In the latest version dots are correct color. Not only did we not update in time and had a long playsession in the outdated version that resulted in like ~2.5 youtube videos, but also I have a backlog of vids that I slowly carve together into youtube videos.

We will be starting MM6 today, I think. What are the chances respawning maps and monsters running away will go away if we just start a new game from scratch? Since both were reported as fixed, yet with respawning I am sure it still happened in 27.05, and as for running away not so sure, but I think it also still happened.

Sorry about my reports being controversial at times. Anyway, I will continue to report on our progress, but chances are, we are going to slow down considerably now, we want to take MM6 slow.

PS. Also, I was just doing DIFF on SwingMod files and the duplicating files in MP archive and result is basically no difference apart from Swing-specific code and object references. SwingMod is based on base merge, so that means those files (00 structs.lua, SFT.txt, ObjList.txt) are just files from base merge. Question - why even put them in MP archive then?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 29.05.2023]

Unread postby Rodril » 29 May 2023, 01:02

Updated file archive to 29.05.2023:
- Torch light halo around remote players temporary disabled, as approach it uses might cause save file corruption.
- Choose character menu, shown while joining host, have been refined: client-side save data added to selection.

Note: after this update save files of remote characters on the host side will be reset, thus [host save] option won't be available first time you'll join the game. If you relied on host-side characeter data, do not apply new update, untill further steps complete:
1. Create multiplayer game as usual.
2. Each client should save their himself.
3. Apply latest update.
4. When joining host, select [Current] character option.

If you'll happen to play with this update, please comment on state of map reset (monsters respawning) and wrong player postiton issues.
Mercs wrote: PS. Also, I was just doing DIFF on SwingMod files and the duplicating files in MP archive and result is basically no difference apart from Swing-specific code and object references. SwingMod is based on base merge, so that means those files (00 structs.lua, SFT.txt, ObjList.txt) are just files from base merge. Question - why even put them in MP archive then?
It removes hassle of creation new archive every time changes been made
It ensures there are no rogue changes in non-multiplayer files, and any potential error have happened due to my mistakes
There are necessary changes in some merge files, that distributed with multiplayer mod, but are not included in base merge yet
It simplifies mod installation process, as it basicaly one step, if you have merge installed
Of course, it is temporary, untill stuff will settle.

Ivan Petrov
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ivan Petrov » 29 May 2023, 07:17

As far as I understand, now it is a cooperative passage. And I thought about what a M&M Merge server could be. Here are my ideas (sorry for Google's automatic translation):

GENERAL:
(1) in-game chat (only works if players are within 50m of each other)
(2) experience gain slowed down by 10 times. After level 30 - 100 times.
(3) all monsters, quests and items respawn every 30 in-game days (i.e. approximately once per real day)
(4) artifacts are found in chests where they should be only once in 10.
(5) rest works the same, but takes 3 seconds of real time for every hour
(6) all treasures (in trees, etc.) appear randomly in one of the many places.
(7) the ability to see the "doll" of another player by clicking on the right mouse button
(8) point refinement of the game in order to exclude the most obvious exploitation of bugs and shortcomings of the game, deception of monsters (such as running around dragons), damage from falling from a height, etc.
(9) if it is not possible to bind the aggressiveness of monsters to specific players, then make it impossible for players to cause damage to peaceful NPCs
(10) when joining the server, it is desirable (but not necessary) for the player to write a brief backstory of their character
(11) transportation costs 10 times more
(12) Black potions now require an additional special magical plant that spawns in a single copy when updating the map in a randomly selected hidden place on the map. This plant also does not appear on the minimap.
(13) stronger gear price progression. That is, cheap weapons cost the same, but expensive ones cost much more. For example, a level 1 Longsword will still cost 50 gold. But Lionheart Sword of the 9th level can cost 650*9=5850 gold instead of 650 gold
(14) Powerful spells (such as waterwalk, fly, armageddon, life drain, etc.) require crystals in addition to mana. Crystals periodically randomly fall in random places on locations and are not displayed on the mini-map!
NEW CONTENT:
(1) story quests were replaced with new ones, in the same dungeons, but with a slightly different description and task
(2) "dungeon"-tavern. Atmospheric location where players can meet and play arcomag among themselves, but where you can't fight
(3) added maps and dungeons (many new bridges, islets, groves, passages and labyrinths in caves, turrets, towers, ladders, teleports, etc. etc.)
(4) random monster invasions in a random city every 7 in-game days
(5) "sword swing" mod, as well as a couple of high-quality mods for content and locations would not interfere with the game at all
(6) an opportunity for a certain amount of money (or precious stones or ore, etc.) to join one of the game factions (elves, dwarves, necromancers, dragons, etc.) and get access to its services and nishtyaks (for example, free scrolls or potions, etc.), as well as a room closed to others in their residence. The faction is displayed in the description of each player. By fulfilling a number of difficult conditions, you can become one of the highest members of the faction (for example, having a level> 70, possession of earth and water magic> 20 and paying 100 emeralds, you can become an Archmage in Brakkad, and your name, among other archmages, will be engraved on an obelisk in the center of their city).
(7) Numerous paintings and sketches from the developers of the original M&M in the form of framed paintings in some locations. As well as a huge number of excerpts from the official books Might and Magic Book One: The Dreamwright and others, scattered throughout the locations (the appearance of these books or scrolls should be different from all others in the game)
(8) a special, very beautiful dungeon (technically a dungeon, but it can practically look like an open area), which has all sorts of things for battles and entertainment for players - opening / closing gates, fortresses, elevators, floating ships, etc. and so on. As well as the constant generation of random content - monsters, items, states. Opens only for one in-game month per year (that is, for one real day every 12 days).
(9) 3 castles scattered around the map. They give different goodies, similar to factions + free treatment and their own chest + scrolls of summoning warriors. The description of the player shows the ownership of a specific castle (for example: "Jack the Terrible / Alvar's Guild of Merchants / the owner of the castle of Le Beau". Ownership of the castle is received by the player who defeated all other players, as well as monsters in a special arena on a special day. Battles for each of the castles are held every in-game year (that is, real 12 days), that is, every 4 real days a battle is held for one of the castles.One player can become the owner of only one castle, i.e. the owner of the castle can come to the battle only for his own castle
(10) night party with fireworks, flags, musicians and discounts in stores in the city (for example, on Regna) every in-game year
(11) I think nothing prevents you from putting up a tent somewhere on a high mountain and planting a wise man there who would ask three randomly selected logical puzzles and generously reward them for solving them (their solution would be impossible to peep, since the numbers in them are also selected accidentally). The reward is suitable mainly for magicians - crystals and spell books. Issued no more than once per in-game year. Thus, we will give additional wagering to mages.
(12) I also think you can create a dungeon - an incredibly huge multi-level claustrophobic dark labyrinth in which it is very easy to get lost, fall into the abyss or go to dinner with scary monsters. And in which there would be, however, frequently renewed veins of various minerals. Thus, we will give additional wagering to gnomes, cavers and other miners.
(13) Also, I think it would be possible to create a large open area filled with a dense dark forest. It would be possible to hunt deer in it (they run away from the player, and very quickly. Very resistant to magic and melee weapons. Susceptible to arrows). And, of course, there you can accidentally become a dinner for ghouls yourself. Also, there it would be possible to search for treasures according to the description in special automatically generated scrolls. Thus, we will give additional wagering to hunters, rangers and elves.
P.S. I understand that this sounds like crazy fantasies :) The very creation of a reliable server based on even cooperative multiplayer that has not yet been completed seems to be a very difficult task. And whether there will be enough players who will play there is a big question. Not to mention the question of the suitability of the Might and Magic engine for online play. But suddenly... maybe someday we will see that someone has taken up these and... there will be something similar to Morrowind Online... and maybe some of these ideas will come in handy.

Ivan Petrov
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ivan Petrov » 30 May 2023, 09:30

there was another idea about multiplayer. place some kind of icon (for example, a circle) above the teammates' heads so that it is immediately clear where the player is and where the monster is

CATMAN
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

...peer 2 peer...

Unread postby CATMAN » 30 May 2023, 11:20

Ivan Petrov wrote: 29 May 2023, 07:17 understand that this sounds like crazy fantasies
...normal ideas, some of them I had. In turn, I would like to ask you to consider the possibility, along with the classic client-server mode, to add P2P mode ...

Building a Peer-to-Peer Multiplayer Networked Game

rampage77t
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby rampage77t » 30 May 2023, 23:36

We have been advancing in our game started in Antagarich, but a serious error happened to us, one of the characters on the server inexplicably happened to be over 1000 old, with all the disadvantages that this brings, we tried to solve it with the "mm8che" editor to not having to fire him and lose all experience and skill points, but when doing so every time he loads the game he gets this error shown in the image, and now he can't talk to any npc in houses since only an option called "Insert text here". The game was ruined by this and I want to know if there is a solution or we will have to start from the beginning.

While we start a game in Enroth, and when we enter the Temple of Tsantsa we get this message constantly without being able to advance in the dungeon, when changing the map it has happened to us a couple of times but the game could continue, but in this dungeon it does not allow progress .

Mercs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mercs » 31 May 2023, 12:37

We all did a clean reinstall of the game and started MM6 with MP mod (ver. 29.05.23) and SwingMod (that I repacked for our internal use since you made changes to 00 structs.lua in this patch hehe).

1) Were not able to rest near an unconsious party member to bring him back up. Pressing the rest button in camping screen would do nothing.
2) A direct opposite to what I said before, but now it actually seems like Improved Pathfinding ON makes enemies less stupid. Like sometimes we observed them gather together and kinda awkwardly stand there (I think we got it on video, but getting around to MM6 footage will take time), but at least they were not running away for no reason.
3) Noticed being able to take several Bounty Hunt "quests" with several party members. However, were not yet able to complete both at the same time, so not sure that is possible. In Misty Islands, Bounty spawned Harpy Queen and some Guard for us to kill. Both were killed not by us, but by Followers of Baa/Cutpurses instead. However, bounty would be granted only for the Guard. Mayor refused to give us gold for Harpy Queen.
4) Had an error when going to Misty Islands by ship. Only I received it (client) and not other players. Error did not crash the game though and I proceeded to play as normal. Error msg:
Spoiler
stack traceback:
: in function 'error'
C:\MM8_new\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1363: in function 'check'
C:\MM8_new\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1110: in function '__index'
C:\MM8_new\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:871: in function '__index'
...\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Synchronization/MapLoad.lua:161: in function 'prep_map_data'
...\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Synchronization/MapLoad.lua:495: in function 'v'
C:\MM8_new\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:66: in function 'docall'
C:\MM8_new\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:126: in function 'Call'
...pts\Modules\Multiplayer\Synchronization/SaveLoadExit.lua:228: in function 'prep_party_data'
...pts\Modules\Multiplayer\Synchronization/SaveLoadExit.lua:233: in function 'client_save_party'
...pts\Modules\Multiplayer\Synchronization/SaveLoadExit.lua:259: in function 'bulb'
C:\MM8_new\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Network/Binary.lua:76: in function 'prep_response'
C:\MM8_new\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Network/Receiver.lua:43: in function 'send_response'
C:\MM8_new\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Network/Receiver.lua:89: in function 'packets_handler'
C:\MM8_new\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Network/Receiver.lua:224: in function 'message_handler'
...M8_new\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Network/Connector.lua:282: in function 'handle'
...M8_new\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Network/Connector.lua:136: in function 'receiveall'
C:\MM8_new\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Network/Sender.lua:31: in function 'network_cycle'
C:\MM8_new\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Network/Sender.lua:53: in function 'wait_responses'
...\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Synchronization/MapLoad.lua:514: in function 'v'
C:\MM8_new\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:101: in function <C:\MM8_new\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:96>

arguments of '__index':
o = 0
obj = (table: 0x333efa88)
_ = "Name"
val = nil

local variables of '__index':
(*temporary) = 0
(*temporary) = (table: 0x333efa88)
(*temporary) = "Name"
(*temporary) = 1.4008091777196e-312
(*temporary) = (table: 0x0385af38)
(*temporary) = 8.6958232025401e-292

upvalues of '__index':
tostring = (function: builtin#18)
len = 16
mem_copy = (function: 0x03852590)
NoZero = nil
u1 = (table: 0x0385b268)
mem_string = (function: 0x037d1d80)[/spoiler]

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 31.05.2023]

Unread postby Rodril » 31 May 2023, 13:29

Hello. Files have been updated to 31.05.2023 version:
-- Torch light spell halo is restored and should not cause map refill anymore
-- Client's monster puppet movement should be smoother now, especially, when walking over water
-- Trying to refine game loading upon joining host
-- Party UI can now be used to inspect remote player's buffs and status effects by right-clicking on character portrait:
rampage77t wrote: We have been advancing in our game started in Antagarich, but a serious error happened to us, one of the characters on the server inexplicably happened to be over 1000 old, with all the disadvantages that this brings, we tried to solve it with the "mm8che" editor to not having to fire him and lose all experience and skill points, but when doing so every time he loads the game he gets this error shown in the image, and now he can't talk to any npc in houses since only an option called "Insert text here". The game was ruined by this and I want to know if there is a solution or we will have to start from the beginning.
I remember such bugs being caused by wrong line endings in script files, back when Merge was frequently updated. I've made a mistake and uploaded few files with corrupted line endings in last update. Try to apply today's files, and check if problem still persists, if so, send me the savegame file, that has this error, please.
Temple of Tsantsa infinite console popup should be fixed in today's update.
Mercs wrote: A direct opposite to what I said before, but now it actually seems like Improved Pathfinding ON makes enemies less stupid. Like sometimes we observed them gather together and kinda awkwardly stand there (I think we got it on video, but getting around to MM6 footage will take time), but at least they were not running away for no reason.
That's a good news. I'll inspect listed errors, thanks. What's the state of map reset on game loading / map change, is it still happening uncontrollably?
Ivan Petrov wrote: And I thought about what a M&M Merge server could be.
That would be a huge drift towards MMORPG style. I'm not fan of the genre, but more importantly, current multiplayer realisation lacks cheat-proof to be used as host for players who don't know each other. Any potential dedicated troll with basic knowledge of coding would be able to completely destroy player experience. I'd like to see more M&M development, but my personal opinion is, if something that entirely different would be created, it should be built on modern engine from the ground, rather than utilizing existing MM games.

Ivan Petrov
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 31.05.2023]

Unread postby Ivan Petrov » 31 May 2023, 13:38

current multiplayer realisation lacks cheat-proof to be used as host for players who don't know each other.
I guess I have another stupid idea... but what if we make this whole server in the cloud? :))))))) That is, we will have M&M Online in the browser :oex:
Last edited by Ivan Petrov on 31 May 2023, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: ...peer 2 peer...

Unread postby Rodril » 31 May 2023, 13:46

CATMAN wrote: 30 May 2023, 11:20 ...normal ideas, some of them I had. In turn, I would like to ask you to consider the possibility, along with the classic client-server mode, to add P2P mode ...

Building a Peer-to-Peer Multiplayer Networked Game
What features do you expect from P2P-based game?
I'm asking, because mod is already based on P2P approach. Host menu and game ending for all players, once host exits, are purely cosmetic design choices, because I thought about multiplayer for MM as an adventure, that group of players start and play together, rather than sandbox, where anyone can hop in and out randomly.
"Host" in the mod does not take role like server in client-server oriented approach, I only use host to sort out chests and NPC access, and to keep shared map data in one place, to avoid extensive traffic. Internally, engine can even transfer the "host" role to other client, once initial host leaves, to keep game going, but at the moment i prefer current state of things.

Return to “Might and Magic”