MM7 new modding

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Re: MM7 new modding

Unread postby Tomsod » 21 Dec 2022, 16:57

Neat! Whenever you get around to it, I'll be happy to help coding-wise. Like, for instance, adding the Sword of Frost with non-trivial properties (water immunity, freezing enemies solid, etc.) Also, Grayface has (privately) implemented snowfall in MM7, you can ask him to share.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 24 Dec 2022, 08:47

Thank you! I'll keep these things in mind, and then when I get to that stage, I'll report it anyway. I'm curious about Sword of Frost! :D

I've got a problem (another one). So, I did my Ship dungeon, wrote the script, filled in the next empty line of MapStats (77). Tested it, everything worked perfectly.
Then I did the pyramid thing the same way, entered it in line 78. Then neither that nor the previous one worked, when I tried to enter the Ship dungeon the game crashed and quit. (All existing is good, so 1-76.)
I deleted line 78 and 77 worked again.

I have a version of the extension from 2022.10.04, and in the scripts there is RemoveMapStatsLimit (2022.10.20).

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 24 Dec 2022, 10:22

Check line endings maybe? If your line 77 had wrong line ending sequence (should be CRLF), that would happen. Although I don't see how you could mess it up if you're using Windows.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 26 Dec 2022, 03:55

Kaltenberg wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 08:47
Send me the mapstats.txt, I'll check
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 27 Jan 2023, 21:11

Progress report:
I've been in the mood lately, so I've pretty much made my next map. I'll tell you up front, what I'm good at is 3D modeling, but I also want to write scripts, which I get very little help with, so the whole process is going to take quite a while :) /Note: so far Grayface doesn't really know what's wrong with my files either./
I wanted to say two things, one is that if someone like me is tapping models, forget the boolean stuff. Normally it can be a lifesaver, but with Might and Magic I have to dumb down my models to make them good in the game. E.g. to adjust the bottom of obj's to the terrain, half a minute of clicking in places takes 5-6 hours at least. Otherwise the bottoms of walls, castles will glitch.
Two, with that said, I'm doing pretty well with my map. Another two weeks or so and I'll be done with it. In the meantime, it turns out that the "modeling" part of the development is not work for me, but recreation, even if it requires very brain-boggling or very boring solutions in places. So nowadays I do it instead of sleeping :) Bottom line:
I'll be done with Vori's area soon, already what I've dreamed up for it. I've been reading up on what little information I can find, and based on that, I've created a fully accessible, 3D Heroes 3 Tower Castle that will be familiar to many of you. Including the other buildings, of course. In addition to that, there will be many other buildings and new dungeons on the map, my goal is to give the game a whole new feel while keeping the old ones.
It's a counterpoint to Vori:

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 28 Jan 2023, 20:03

You're blowing me away with your each post :oex: Excellent job! The community dream might finally come true :)
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 29 Jan 2023, 09:30

I must agree with Eksekk. It looks great.
David

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 29 Jan 2023, 11:42

Thank you! This is pretty much where the process is at the moment:

Reverb
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Reverb » 04 Feb 2023, 10:09

Hey sorry for a question which probably gets asked a lot; what mod is that that gives you widescreen support/a cleaner UI?
oops I was being dumb, greyface's patch does it, but you have to enable it in the ini
Last edited by Reverb on 09 Feb 2023, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 04 Feb 2023, 15:41

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Grayface's patch allows it, you have to select "Hardware acceleration 3D" in the setup.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 19 Feb 2023, 10:45

This is admirable! Not only are your ideas extremely fitting, but the quality of your work looks very high. I love the added content to Emerald Island - when I was a child, I remember looking at the map of Emerald Island and seeing all that empty space, thinking about the unused potential it had. I can't wait to be able to loot those ships you added, and get some stat boosts from those barrels. Actually, all of your ideas really bring fantastic depth to the game. Great job on the pyramid, the added structures of Harmondale as well as the bridge architecture of Deyja! They make the world seem more complete. Not to mention Vori! I dreamed of exploring it when I was a kid, but I had come to accept over time that it probably wasn't going to happen. This content is reawakening some distant dreams of the past. I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 25 Feb 2023, 16:46

Thank you! I will try to make something useful out of it. I'm a bit slow right now, this semester is going to be rough, but I'll get Vori's H3 area done soon and post it.
Otherwise, ideas are welcome if anyone feels like sharing :)

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 25 Feb 2023, 17:19

I've been meaning to ask, to find such a short description of Vori. Do you know anything about it? I mean was this previously included in the basic concept? Or did someone dream it up? :)

https://www.castlegobs.nl/MM7/vori03.html

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 28 Feb 2023, 07:55

Latest line gives an answer: "Disclaimer: While both Gandalf and I have visited Vori, it may or may not have been in Might & Magic VII, and the above may or may not be based partly or even entirely on fantasy. On the other hand, so is MM7. Some believe, and some don't."
Castlegobs was a place for Flute quest(s), White goblin and other community chat things.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 23 Apr 2023, 21:56

Now I'm finally done with the Vori castle area. The monsters and peasants are only there as a temporary decoration, and there may be changes later. But it will look something like this.
You'll be able to walk between (and on) the Heroes3 Tower buildings. :) Oh, and sorry to anyone who's getting a bit giddy, the video quality is pretty crap.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11O8IpX ... share_link

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 24 Apr 2023, 20:26

What's the story behind Tower architecture in Vori? Is there a wizard enclave there, or did Snow Elves just plagiarize them? Granted, since Wizards already stole angels and rocs from other factions, they had it coming.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 24 Apr 2023, 21:37

Don't know yet, but I'll figure it out. :) The first thing that springs to mind is that a cult of wizards, withdrawn from the world, has taken refuge among the snowy rocks. Then the elves arrived, a bit of skirmishing, slaughter, just the usual, eventually they settled. In fact, they merged, the elves became snow elves, and a kind of symbiosis developed. And there it was.
And then one day they got drunk, someone stole their skyship (as a joke), it flew away, and now they don't know where to look for it. Hehh. (Because it no longer fits on the map. As it is, the game keeps hissing that there's too much stuff in it. The stolen airship will be the basis of a mission.)

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 28 Apr 2023, 15:10

Marvelous! After 23 years, we are well on our way to getting completely new, high-quality MM game. Or rather two, as in yours and neutonm's. :)
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

neutonm
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby neutonm » 10 May 2023, 19:49

Looks neat!

Looking forward to your mod. I'd be glad to help, if you need it. Especially with sharing the experience as the modding has a LOT of nuances that can be difficult to deal with.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 14 May 2023, 13:30

Thank you for your feedback! I've since finished most of area 2 of Vori, and I'm declaring area 1, where the castle is, complete. Here's a little walk around:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DgBGnW ... share_link

Return to “Might and Magic”