MM3 w/AWE32 & MT-32 problems

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Scythifuge
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM3 w/AWE32 & MT-32 problems

Unread postby Scythifuge » 04 Nov 2022, 14:01

Greetings,

I built a real 486 PC with a CT2760 AWE32 and am also using a Roland MPU-IPC-T with an MT-32 attached, with the MT-32 going into the Line-In on my AWE32. I also have World of Xeen installed. I read that the engines are the same. However, while sound/music in WoX work as expected, MM3 does not. I select Roland+Blaster, though once MM3 is loaded, the game mods the volume levels set by MIXERSET/SB16SET (tested after exiting the game.) Using a utility which locks the mixer (midito, found on a Vogon's thread,) the music plays, the digitized voice from the intro plays (though it is quiet,) and no sound effects play; no intro sound effects and no sound effects in game, such as walking around sounds. I made a post about it at Vogons:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 6#p1114126

I also found this site:

http://www.jeffludwig.com/mm3/resources.php and I read that this gentleman posted about it on this forum. Along with his resources and resources I read about on other pages, is it possible to place the sound drivers from WoX into MM3? The sound issue was replicated by another Vogon's poster using a different PC set up, but the GOG version seems to play music and sounds just fine, so it is my hope that there is a solution possible, as I want to play through the series on real hardware rather than through something like DOSBox or 86box (though I will, if all else fails.) It just seems to me that the MM3 versions of the files has a bug since it was from 1991 and by the time we got WoX, newer sound cards were available and more widely used, so the bug was fixed for WoX without anyone realizing that the bug exists for AWE32 & MM3.

I don't know much about programming and hacking, though I am wondering if the WoX files can be looked at with a hex editor and compared to the MM3 files to see where the bug is, and/or see if the roland.drv and blaster.drv files from WoX can be transplanted into MM3? While waiting for a response/insight, I am going to study Mr. Ludwig's information and the information at sites he linked to.

Scythifuge

Return to “Might and Magic”