The Infinite Looting bug (MM6 & MM7)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
rotalihinna
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

The Infinite Looting bug (MM6 & MM7)

Unread postby rotalihinna » 15 Sep 2022, 17:09

Both MM6 and MM7 (GrayFace versions, not sure if the regular game has them) have this bug where sometimes when you loot a monster's corpse, it won't disappear, allowing you to loot it again. (When you loot it again, it generally disappears, but just like the original corpse, might not)

I'd estimate this happening about 1 out of 20-30 times. I haven't been able to isolate it, and it seems totally random! I'm sure it's not entirely random. Anybody have any idea what it is?

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: The Infinite Looting bug (MM6 & MM7)

Unread postby raekuul » 15 Sep 2022, 17:21

I believe this is vanilla behavior as well? It only happens if the monster dropped an item treasure. It's only "infinite" if you save-scum the results, the corpse will eventually run out of item treasure.

rotalihinna
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rotalihinna » 15 Sep 2022, 17:32

Right, you're correct. Any idea what might be causing it?

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 15 Sep 2022, 17:36

The chance is exactly 10%, but only if you looted an item. And it seems to NOT be a bug, the code looks very deliberate, the game rolls a d100 and everything. I've erased that code anyway in my MM7 mod, I can tell you the addresses if you're interested.

rotalihinna
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rotalihinna » 15 Sep 2022, 17:40

That is VERY strange! So the game has a programmed 10% chance of not removing the corpse if the corpse dropped an item?

What do you all think might be the purpose behind this?

Also how are you able to see that the game rolls a d100 for this?

Thank you!

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 15 Sep 2022, 17:51

And I can tell you the address for MM8, as well as code to remove it. I can also confirm that this seems to be deliberate behavior. As for purpose, I haven't got a clue, I am not surprised this is universally considered a bug.
rotalihinna wrote:Also how are you able to see that the game rolls a d100 for this?
He found the code in the executable (MM7.exe) that governs looting, and reverse-engineered it (probably using disassembler and/or debugger).
Last edited by Eksekk on 15 Sep 2022, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 15 Sep 2022, 17:54

The code (at the end of the corpse loot function) basically looks like this:

Code: Select all

if (item_dropped && random() % 100 >= 90)
    goto skip;
remove_corpse();
skip:
return;
So, very deliberate. I'm guessing it could initially be an MM6 bug, but the playtesters liked it so much it was canonized. Or maybe NWC wanted monsters to rarely drop several items, and they implemented it in this 'exploding dice' way. The d100 roll can be plainly seen as above, but the true motives behind it will remain a mystery, I'm afraid.

Return to “Might and Magic”