"Of Recovery" enchantment doesn't work

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
rotalihinna
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

"Of Recovery" enchantment doesn't work

Unread postby rotalihinna » 12 Sep 2022, 17:06

Does the "Of Recovery" enchantment not work in MM7?

The Elven Chainmail doesn't seem to affect recovery rate. Plus, I created an 'of recovery' ring in an editor, and it doesn't affect RR either.

rotalihinna
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: "Of Recovery" enchantment doesn't work

Unread postby rotalihinna » 12 Sep 2022, 17:18

Whoa. Ok, I'm sorry. It looks like "Of Recovery" means a different thing in MM7 than it does in MM6.

In MM6 it just improves your recovery time. In MM7, it improves the time for you to recover from being hit.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 12 Sep 2022, 18:05

Actually there's still some legacy code in MM7 that is supposed to speed up recovery by 50% if you have an "of recovery" item (incl. the chainmail), but like in unpatched MM6, it doesn't work properly, and the MM7 patch doesn't fix it.

rotalihinna
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rotalihinna » 12 Sep 2022, 18:52

I think it's fair that the patch doesn't "fix" it because the explanation in spcitem.txt seems to point towards it just being about improving recovery after being hit. (Unless those descriptions were put there by GrayFace too?)

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 12 Sep 2022, 19:59

It does say so, but I'm looking at the recovery-after-being-hit code right now and it doesn't check for that enchantment, just Endurance. I think it was just never implemented. Some other descriptions in that file are also slightly incorrect. In fact, "of recovery" description in the corresponding MM6 file is the same, and it clearly didn't work that way there either.

Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Novi » 13 Sep 2022, 12:37

Now I know nothing about the in game code (aside from reading it can be a mess from other people), but I'm fairly certain that there are 3 types related to recovery. One can be directly on a weapon (of swiftness for example) which reduces the base recovery time of the weapon, another of recovery can be on armor, which will reduce the recovery time of melee and ranged attacks by 10% and the last one which only appears on some unique/artifact armor which reduces the recovery time after being hit (I remember a relic/artifact plate armor in 6 doing the same thing). Most likely, this is working as intended, but the wording is confusing.

Edit: The armor in 6 is called Pellinore and its ability is described as "hit recovery". The Elven Chainmail has "of recovery", but my theory is this is a simple inconsistency in the terminology used.

Return to “Might and Magic”