MM8 Keybind Location?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
EstelRandir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM8 Keybind Location?

Unread postby EstelRandir » 12 Jul 2022, 00:10

In Might & Magic 8, what file are the keybinds stored in that you can set under controls in the game? I cannot find them anywhere. They are not found in the usual places (mm8.ini, a seperate keybinds file,etc) I do not want to have to rebind the keys everytime I do a fresh install.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Re: MM8 Keybind Location?

Unread postby Eksekk » 12 Jul 2022, 10:31

EstelRandir wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 00:10 In Might & Magic 8, what file are the keybinds stored in that you can set under controls in the game? I cannot find them anywhere. They are not found in the usual places (mm8.ini, a seperate keybinds file,etc) I do not want to have to rebind the keys everytime I do a fresh install.
They are stored in registry. The path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\New World Computing\Might and Magic Day of the Destroyer\1.0 (at least for me, if you don't find it here, search for "New World Computing" and you'll eventually find it). You can export the 1.0 branch to a file and then when you install import it, and your settings will be as before.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

EstelRandir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: MM8 Keybind Location?

Unread postby EstelRandir » 12 Jul 2022, 12:28

Eksekk wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 10:31 They are stored in registry. The path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\New World Computing\Might and Magic Day of the Destroyer\1.0 (at least for me, if you don't find it here, search for "New World Computing" and you'll eventually find it). You can export the 1.0 branch to a file and then when you install import it, and your settings will be as before.

Thanks. I found that key. But I think it is more complicated that this. I looked at a few of the key values, and they are from the last copy of MM8 that I modified via the iin-game menu a few hours ago. I also have multiple copies of MM8 (MM8 Clean, MM8 Test, MM8 Merge Test, etc). I install it once via the game disks, then make copies to test mods, etc. Each copy seems to have it's own unique set of keybinds. So where the heck those are stored who knows. You would think the keybinds would be global for anytime you activated mm8.exe.

Return to “Might and Magic”