Widescreen vs 4:3 Grayface patch 2.5.7

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
FaLiar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Widescreen vs 4:3 Grayface patch 2.5.7

Unread postby FaLiar » 01 Jun 2022, 18:42

need some help, installed 1.0 version mm7, and used the newest grayface patch 2.5.7.

if i start the game with the mm7.exe, its use the old 4:3

but when i used the MM7setup and launch the game, the game uses the new widescreen view

i want to use the widescreen view, when i start the game normally with mm7.exe

tried some ini changes but, nothing works. some advice pls :)

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Widescreen vs 4:3 Grayface patch 2.5.7

Unread postby eilacomeva » 04 Jun 2022, 08:31

Are you running in compatibility mode?

If not, please double check that saving works - go to the abandoned temple, get in and out and in and out a few times... to make sure you're not affected by https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 60#p386584

If you have the bug, set mm7.exe to compatibility mode - it will ask you every time if you *really* want to run this program, but it works.

If you don't (lucky you!) you need to tinker with the windows registry a little bit - it's not difficult, but I'm not at the right computer atm so I can't just write down the exact steps; basically find the might&magic keys in the registry, notice the one that says something like d3d and copy it to the OTHER m&m key, the one under the virtual store.

Or you can join the dark side and play on linux of course :)

FaLiar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby FaLiar » 05 Jun 2022, 07:11

wow, thanks

if i run as admin, it works "normally", and it will be widescreen

can you explain the registry edit in much more detail?

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 06 Jun 2022, 14:35

FaLiar wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 07:11 wow, thanks

if i run as admin, it works "normally", and it will be widescreen

can you explain the registry edit in much more detail?
Have a look at the image - the relevant option is highlighted ("Use D3D")

Basically if you open the registry (WIN+R => regedit) and navigate the menus until you find a "search" item;
look for "might and magic" and you should find a couple of "directories" that are called "might&magic 8"

One is shown in the screenshot, under HKEY_USERS\ blah blah blah \ virtualstore is the one you get when you run normally;
the other is similar but under HKLM\software\wow6432node\... (without the virtualstore etc part) is the one you get when you run as admin (incl when you run mm8setup)

basically mm8setup simply creates a key under HKLM etc, so you just have to do the same thing by hand except it's under HKEY_USERS\...
right click like you would right click in a directory to create a file, choose create new, type is DWORD, name is "Use D3D" (without the quotes), value is one.

One could probably write a powershell script to automate it, but I don't use windows often enough to care, sorry :)

edit: wtf happened to the image?
mm8 3D.jpg

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 12 Jun 2022, 14:08

The easiest way to avoid all this is to disable UAC. https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/glo ... l-uac.html

On my patch side of things, I think I need to redirect registry operations to ini, but that would only solve this issue if the game isn't in a protected folder.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”