Tool to extract list of billboards on an outdoor map in MM6?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Talonos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Tool to extract list of billboards on an outdoor map in MM6?

Unread postby Talonos » 18 May 2022, 17:54

Hey,

I've got MM6's New Sorpigal working in VR in a VRChat world. It's pretty awesome to walk around the town, or to climb up onto the parapets of Goblinwatch and look out over the landscape, but all of the sprite-based graphics are missing, so there's no trees, flowers, etc.

I can put them in, but putting them in by hand would be prohibitively slow. Instead, I could write a Unity script to place them all for me automatically, assuming I could somehow export a list of the positions of all the sprite-based objects.

Is there a tool that'll do that? If not, is there a place where I can get a description of the Might and Magic level format and maybe I could write something myself?

Thanks!

(Cross-posted to TELP.)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Tool to extract list of billboards on an outdoor map in MM6?

Unread postby GrayFace » 27 May 2022, 04:55

Talonos wrote: 18 May 2022, 17:54
Here's the easiest way:

Code: Select all

print(dump(Map.Sprites))
(write this in Ctrl+F1 console of MMExtension)
For spawns of monsters and items:

print(dump(Map.Spawns))
If you open the map with the editor first,

print(dump(table.invert(Editor.State.Sprites)))
would provide a cleaner output.

There's also batch saving and batch export capabilities and you can go through files saved this way with a Lua script, tell me if you need it.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 04 Jun 2022, 08:35

That's the most awesome thing I have read! (today)

chainermike
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby chainermike » 07 Jun 2022, 04:23

Well, this is a timely post. I've been working on MM6 in VRChat for a month, currently have all maps and dungeons in one world around 1000 sprites hand placed. Now I can't wait to get off work and try this method.

chainermike
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby chainermike » 18 Jun 2022, 01:12

Any progress? I have been working on baked lighting in dungeons and while not perfect, it really adds atmosphere in VR.
Also have you got a script on billboarding that works in VR? I don't do any code/script, so the few that I've found work with the headturn and not to player position(if that makes sense.) For now I will be continuing to place sprites manually due to my tendency to go cross-eyed at the sight of any script, progress is slow but consistent. https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... rbox=false (ignore the transparent wall on the castle, oddly common issue that I will get around to after most other stuff is done.)

Return to “Might and Magic”