MM6/Merge Catch-22 situation?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Gumdoc999
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM6/Merge Catch-22 situation?

Unread postby Gumdoc999 » 16 May 2022, 16:20

Hi all,

Been forever since I played MM6 (using the merge mod and started there). I have a basic catch-22 situation I need help with.

Have a 5-character party. I want to get Expert Air and Water, my Sorcerer is level 4 in those. I bought Jump and Water Walk spell books but it says I don't have the skill to learn it, the books are a different cover so I assume I need Expert skill?

I remember that the Air expert is above the bank and the Water expert on the island to the east...but I can't learn the jump or water walk spells to get to them.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I get to those trainers if I need to already be expert to learn the spells to reach them?

Thanks for any help.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Re: MM6/Merge Catch-22 situation?

Unread postby Tomsod » 16 May 2022, 16:40

Hah, yeah, in vanilla MM6 you didn't need Expert to learn Fly, Jump, or Water Walk, so Merge broke this a bit. You can probably hire NPCs that cast Water Walk or Fly for you (unless Merge removed them from this area), and there's a hidden Fly scroll on the bank's side wall (unless Merge removed it). You can also try to get a Water Walk scroll from the magic shop (if you haven't visited it yet, you can reload repeatedly to change the stock), and in Merge you can get a Jump scroll too (probably), but not Fly (probably). Finally, water does not kill you immediately, so you can just try to cross it. Oh, and Free Haven also has all the magic experts, and they're not as hard to reach there.

Gumdoc999
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gumdoc999 » 16 May 2022, 17:01

Thanks, I had forgot about that hidden scroll, that's what I needed, already have a full party so no room to add an NPC.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 19 May 2022, 17:31

There are two expert teachers in both vanilla MM6 and Enroth part of Merge.

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 19 May 2022, 19:52

Gumdoc999 wrote: 16 May 2022, 17:01 Thanks, I had forgot about that hidden scroll, that's what I needed, already have a full party so no room to add an NPC.
Hirelings are separate from Playable NPCs, in order to support a handful of quests from MM6 (Prince of Thieves) and MM7 (Dwarves)

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 20 May 2022, 07:44

Also wanna add that you can have up to 4 "beneficial" hirelings (up from 2) and unlimited amount of quest-related ones (but this has been buggy, idk if it's already fixed, the bug made so you couldn't hire 4th hireling when having quest-related ones).
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

Return to “Might and Magic”