MM7 Rev4 mod for MMMerge

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

Eksekk
Peasant
Peasant

MM7 Rev4 mod for MMMerge

Postby Eksekk » Aug 16 2021, 12:39

Hey all! I once decided to port MM7 Rev4 mod for the Merge, but after discouraging information presented by cthscr abandoned the idea. I've now returned to it with better workflow (for example writing things to change, wiki here) and I think I'm gonna commit to it. But first, I have some questions:
  • which Merge version should I make the mod for (base, community, revamp, cthscr's community etc.)?
  • does my workflow seem okay for you?
  • any gotchas I should be aware of?
  • were there any changes in MM7 scripts (evt files, because lua files will be easily preserved) from vanilla I should preserve (I plan to drag-and-drop decompiled lua scripts from Rev4)?
  • How does custom LOD loading from Grayface's patch work? Is it lexicographically, and later files override earlier files? The reason I ask is I'd ideally like to distribute my mod as scripts and several files to put into data folder, which would automatically override default ones.
If you want to help, you can write on the wiki any changes from Rev4 mod I've not written yet, especially if they involve hand-placed items on the map.
Last edited by Eksekk on Aug 16 2021, 12:50, edited 2 times in total.

Tomsod
Peasant
Peasant

Re: MM7 Rev4 mod for MMMerge

Postby Tomsod » Aug 16 2021, 13:01

Good luck! Looks like a promising idea. As for lods: here's how they're loaded. As for mod content: you may want to fix the evenmorn druid circle bug which makes druid promotion impossible after you teleport there from Eeofol. Also, as I remember, Town Portal was only turned off halfway in the original mod; in particular, you could freely teleport to Nighon. Possibly an oversight.

cthscr
Demon
Demon

Postby cthscr » Aug 17 2021, 20:57

Eksekk wrote:which Merge version should I make the mod for (base, community, revamp, cthscr's community etc.)?
Obvious Revamp is obvious. Even in its pre-alpha it's still better option for modding.
Eksekk wrote:were there any changes in MM7 scripts (evt files, because lua files will be easily preserved) from vanilla I should preserve (I plan to drag-and-drop decompiled lua scripts from Rev4)?
Er, you should have tables of translations for everything (2DEvents, NPCData, Quests, Autonotes, etc.) from MM7 to Merge. Those translations should be applied to corresponding commands of evt files. And to lua scripts as well.
Eksekk wrote:How does custom LOD loading from Grayface's patch work?
If we're speaking about Merge and MM8, there is special order for localization lods: T.lod - <language>T.lod - *.T.lod - *.<language>T.lod. (Same with D.lod)
Never use <language>T.lod or *.<language>T.lod.

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Postby lightbringer23 » Aug 27 2021, 2:59

Wow! Best of luck. I love the Rev4 mod. If you succeed, please consider compatibility with Maestro's Mod for Rev4 :D
Might be kind of tough though. Much of what Maestro did was oriented around the MM7 paper dolls.
Last edited by lightbringer23 on Aug 27 2021, 3:00, edited 1 time in total.

Eksekk
Peasant
Peasant

Postby Eksekk » Sep 24 2021, 15:56

Thanks all for the replies!

I don't think I'll be able to merge Maestro's Mod (because paperdolls/graphics etc.), but I can consider adding skill table from this mod or changed monsters/mapstats.

Also, I'm posting to let everyone know that I am still working on this project, it's not forgotten! You can see project files here, and the wiki is here. Currently I've parsed (checking scripts & working with editor) all dungeons (dxx.blv) and some outdoor maps (out01-out06). Remaining all other maps, things from my TODO list (which kinda happened to be in file tools/processRev4GlobalLua) and things from wiki page "Modified content".

Return to “Might and Magic”