A few questions about Merge possibilities

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Echo
Demon
Demon

A few questions about Merge possibilities

Unread postby Echo » 28 Jun 2021, 12:55

I wonder about a few things related to editing/expanding on the Merge. I've no idea what's possible and what isn't, so, could you tell me if:

1. It's possible to add new items together with new graphical asset - for instance, new quest items that do not reuse existing picture files?

2. It's possible to add new artifacts that are stronger than the existing artifacts?

3. It's possible to create more loot tiers - currently there's 6 of them.

4. It's possible to scale item bonuses higher - stuff like "Adds 12 acid damage" to have a higher tier that "Adds 20 acid damage"?

5. It's possible to add new sprites (for instance for a tree - I remember trying a long time ago and it didn't work - do they need to use palettes from bitmaps.lod perhaps?)

6. Add chests with MMEditor - hooow, lol. I failed to figure that one out :tongue:
Last edited by Echo on 03 Jul 2021, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Re: A few questions about Merge possibilities

Unread postby Eksekk » 28 Jun 2021, 14:02

I will answer only to items which I'm familiar about, someone else will have to answer the rest.

2. It's possible, depending on what bonuses you want to achieve. If it's something like +stats, +skill etc. then it's easy (for those acquainted with scripting). If you want something like Splitter's melee fireball, then it requires assembly coding and is very hard. You can study Merge's scripts/global/extraArtifacts.lua for a rough look at how it's done.

3. It will require probably a lot of assembly coding (if you see "assembly" anywhere, then you know it's really hard :wall: )

6. You mean openable chest objects like these in dungeons? It depends whether it's outdoor or indoor map. If it's indoor map, I haven't figured that out yet and someone else will have to help. If it's outdoor, I can post a short tutorial on how to do it. It will require a biiiit of Blender usage, so it helps if you're already familiar with it, though it's not strictly necessary - these are very very basics of Blender. If you want me to, write and I will do it.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 28 Jun 2021, 15:46

Oh, that sounds like a big PITA, not gonna lie. I've wondered about the idea of making the 3 games actually play together in a more linearily progressive way as if it was 1 game with a lot more areas and more room for growth and upgrades, but while playing with some tables can be quite zen and relaxing, I'm not gonna go so deep I need to use Blender and dig into code :D Thanks for answers!

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 28 Jun 2021, 16:47

Creating chests is actually very easy. I've completed the tutorial anyway - you can check if it's easy enough for you. Here's the link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/dq684uek ... l.rtf/file
If you're from future and the link is not working, send me a PM and I'll reupload.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 28 Jun 2021, 20:32

Thanks :) It's clear and understandable, the problem is mainly - it looks to be pretty damn annoying to set up. One or two chests, no problem, but if I wanted to place a whole bunch of them in various areas, I think I'd rather go scrub the floors. At least currently, maybe one day it will seem appealing :P I saved the tutorial anyhow so I'll have it too in case it disappears and someone needs it.

There are so many areas in the game, especially MM8, that are empty and bland. My Modling thing filled them up, but in a rather chaotic way. Lack of chests was a contributing factor to the changes looking very much out of place, but my time is really rather limited right now and when I'd get time to play around this, it'd be when my brain power, patience, and willingness to do more than flip numbers in a table or zoom around clicking monster icons to place are at their low point :tongue:

Sadly, the fact that there's no reasonable way to expand the loot progression beyond what each game offered, cuts down on the possibilities massively. Fighting stronger and stronger mobs just to acquire the same loot isn't very appealing :<
Last edited by Echo on 28 Jun 2021, 20:36, edited 2 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 29 Jun 2021, 09:48

Echo wrote:1. It's possible to add new items together with new graphical asset - for instance, new quest items that do not reuse existing picture files?
Yes, here is guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lipriutf3SI
Echo wrote:2. It's possible to add new artifacts that are stronger than the existing artifacts?
Yes, base stats can be editied via ITEMS.txt, special behaivors can be scripted via ExtraArtifacts.lua
Echo wrote:3. It's possible to create more loot tiers - currently there's 6 of them.
Currently,there's no convenient way to do it without scripting.
Echo wrote:4. It's possible to scale item bonuses higher - stuff like "Adds 12 acid damage" to have a higher tier that "Adds 20 acid damage"?

Yes, it can be done via ExtraArtifacts.lua, there are examples inside.
Echo wrote:5. It's possible to add new sprites (for instance for a tree - I remember trying a long time ago and it didn't work - do they need to use palettes from bitmaps.lod perhaps?)
It is possible, but requires many manipulations:
1. Create indexed .bmp file;
2. Create palette for it.
3. Put both into bitmaps.lod.
4. Edit SFT.txt from "Data\Tables" folder.
5. Edit DecList.txt from "Data\Tables" folder.
Then new sprite will be useable within MMEditor. I don't remember all details. Hope GrayFace will add png support eventualy, so bothering with palettes won't be necessary anymore.

DaveHer
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby DaveHer » 09 Jul 2021, 08:05

I made a lot of new sprites for "MM7Rev4modR1 Redone" You should download it and look at the two files that Rodril mentions above. All the new sprites are at the bottom of both pages. You will find the thread for the mod on page three of this site. About palettes, I did not create new palettes. I used the palettes that come with the game. I used corel photo paint to extract the palette and then applied it to the new sprite. If you have a copy of corel photo paint and went complete details on how it is done. Let me know. David

Return to “Might and Magic”