party.bin in Might And Magic 6 saves

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
vladtheimpaler
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

party.bin in Might And Magic 6 saves

Unread postby vladtheimpaler » 06 Mar 2021, 19:01

Hey folks,

I know what "party.bin" is composed of in the Might and Magic 7 save games. However for saves from MM6 that file is different. I looked around and I cannot find any references of what is in that file. I managed to reverse engineer some fields (based on MM7 structure and what I expect to be there) but it is a large file and I would like to know more.

Greyface's Lua scripts work with the GameParty structure in memory (not in the save game file). MM7Reader (as the name implies) cannot load MM6 save games. So I am stuck.

Any advice?

vladtheimpaler
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: party.bin in Might And Magic 6 saves

Unread postby vladtheimpaler » 06 Mar 2021, 20:46

Thank you but that link does not work (as it links to generic (the user's) dropbox - for me it opens my own dropbox). However MM7EDit I think is MM7View which I already have and it does not load MM6 save games. I could be wrong though.

If you would like to share your file with me I think you need to move the mouse over the file (in dropbox) and click the "Copy Link" button.

vladtheimpaler
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vladtheimpaler » 06 Mar 2021, 20:51

That being said I did find MM6CHE.exe which does allow me to edit the save game. No source though. However I guess I can use it to edit the file incrementally and use that to reverse engineer what fields are what based on what is changing. Still the definition of the party/players in the savegame for MM6 would be great :)

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 06 Mar 2021, 21:30

The opensource MM8LevelEditor in Java can do that

Nirran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nirran » 06 Mar 2021, 23:30

oops sorry

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlrzujvzm9qoq ... t.zip?dl=1

ack,thsi si the correct one (i tested it,it opens mm6 files)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/garmictempesi ... l.zip?dl=1

edit : see u already have it,disregard
Last edited by Nirran on 06 Mar 2021, 23:56, edited 4 times in total.

vladtheimpaler
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vladtheimpaler » 07 Mar 2021, 00:34

Thank you both, that is a wealth of information, and it is what I was looking for!

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 09 Mar 2021, 21:56

vladtheimpaler wrote:Greyface's Lua scripts work with the GameParty structure in memory (not in the save game file).
The structure is the same as in save game, you just need to subtract 0x908C70 (also accessed as Game.Party.ptr) from addresses. You can do something like this:

Code: Select all

for o, name in sortpairs(table.invert(structs.o.GameParty)) do
	print(o - Game.Party.ptr, name)
end
There's also a number of savegame editors, e.g. 4 of them in this Russian page under the name "Редактор": https://ag.ru/games/might-and-magic-6-t ... ven/cheats
Last edited by GrayFace on 09 Mar 2021, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

vladtheimpaler
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vladtheimpaler » 20 Mar 2021, 13:29

Yes, I did use MMExtensions do to stuff like that (dump various game structures that are not exposed in files like HouseMovies).

I must say your code and contributions to MM world are very nice! Thank you for that!

Return to “Might and Magic”