Little things that make the games way easier (MM6-8)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
NotABroom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Little things that make the games way easier (MM6-8)

Unread postby NotABroom » 19 Nov 2020, 07:09

I started a new MM7 run and I created a relatively weak party, so that there's a bit of a challenge to the game. But there are still things that can really take away any challenge. I am talking about certain "day of the gods"-pillars in Emerald Isle, Erathia or Alvar. Use them and have fun just going through a place like through butter. Erathia has day of the gods + heroism + +50 strength. Every bandit in Erathia just left the chat. Taking on 3 royal griffins on level 7? No problem!

Even more impactful are the "secret" treasure chests in MM8. Go to Ravenshore and Alvar and there you go - you have found yourself two artifacts! The one in Ironsand isn't that hard to grab either. These chests are a really cool thing when you stumble over them for the first time. But the problem is, once you know, you know. And if you really want to abuse your knowledge of the game you can also just get a level 50 dark elf whilst your at it.

One way is to simply adopt some disciplin, like I do in MM6 by not visiting the shrine in dragonsand immediatley. But then again it feels a little wrong to know about a secret chest in a tree and then not open it.

How do you guys handle these things?

sator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Little things that make the games way easier (MM6-8)

Unread postby sator » 20 Nov 2020, 14:00

Play like it's your first time Is what I do. I use the DOTG pedestal only once I've chosen the Dark path.

Vaulth516
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vaulth516 » 25 Nov 2020, 12:20

That lvl 50 Dark Elf has been one of the causes of MM8 being broken for a long time. :(

This sounds like a subject that could be corrected through MMMerge, (as it is what hosts all MM6-8 in one).
Perhaps they could add some codes that would cause Cauri to say something like, "sorry, your party is too weak for me to join...",
like some of those NPCs that you can't recruit until later. :|

Erathia seems designed to be like a version of Misty Islands in MM7, a breeze... :applause:
I can see how those pedestals could be adjusted though, so that the DotG pedestal would grant less stats amount.
The +50 Strength well could be made so that it gives +20 Strength instead, if there's a coding for that.

As far as those treasure chests, if it's viable, the trap level for them could be put at near maxed,
that way players can't access those chests too easily. :wall:
Last edited by Vaulth516 on 26 Nov 2020, 13:59, edited 4 times in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 26 Nov 2020, 14:31

Cauri returning to her home residence instead of going straight to the Adventurer's Inn would probably be a good solution to that little problem, since her butler already handles any post-rescue Patriarch promotions. We could put the progress check there instead of on Cauri directly (with her progress requirement being the same as the other level 50 recruitables).

The flight mechanics - specifically being able to freely move vertically off-turn - trivialize ranged combat. This is most abusable in MM6 to get late game drops from Hydras and Titans if you don't mind spending a hell of a lot of time on it (neither monster family is immune to physical damage and so are susceptible to arrows), and there's a Temple Baa nearby so you have cheap healing (even if they aren't supposed to fix Stone/Dead/Gone)

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 28 Nov 2020, 00:31

It honestly does require a change in mindset. As long as you play with the idea of exploiting every angle, you'll succeed in doing so.

I prefer to play with a mindset of self sufficiency. I also don't use the ore traders to acquire advanced weapons and armor, as I'd rather find those things as treasure. If I wanted to (and I used to), I could make a sweep of known Erudine ore spots and load up on max level items really early. I don't want to, so I don't.

As for secret chests in MM8, consider them a cheesy "cheat" and leave them alone -- the same way you would avoid getting your 5 Knight arena wins until you get the Champion quest in MM7, instead of getting them as soon as you reach Harmondale at level 5.

Cauri's existence has never bothered me, because I always acquire my permanent party as soon as possible (at char creation, with mods), and I never lose them. So what if lvl 30, 50, 100 person is available? She's not part of my team.

Now, I actually don't do some of the things I recommend here. I go for all the artifacts and secret chests, but my personal playstyle is one of abundance. I try to get fly and town portal as soon as possible. I don't want the game to be terribly hard. I like abundance.

What I do, is I give my party lots of chances to be powerful, and crank up the monsters to do the same. Last time I played the Merge, I edited the class and HP/SP files to give druids GM access to all skills, and gave them the HP of Knights. I started in Enroth, where attaining the fly spell is quicker, and went over to Jadame only after acquiring both it and both Druid promotions. I even edited the item file to give artifacts crazy high stats. Sounds cheesy, right? I also cranked the monster boosting to the max from the very start.

Even decked out in every artifact/relic I could want by the end of the series, at level 160+, facing down a half dozen Devil Kings or Terminator Droids with 2000+hp each was still quite a challenge. For me, the fun of the game was in acquiring the most decked out item roster I could for each of my team, getting GM in ALL skills for everyone (you have any idea how LONG that takes?), and taking on the boosted hordes of 3 continents. It was amazingly fun.

It's all about your approach and mindset.

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 28 Nov 2020, 00:35

Also, if you want a more challenging MM8, try Echo's Modling. If you want a more challenging MM7, stay tuned for mine -- coming soon. More monsters, tougher monsters, and in more locations (with more rewards for your trouble).

AmandaKY
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AmandaKY » 18 Feb 2021, 09:06

Vaulth516 wrote:That lvl 50 Dark Elf has been one of the causes of MM8 being broken for a long time. :(

This sounds like a subject that could be corrected through MMMerge, (as it is what hosts all MM6-8 in one).
Perhaps they could add some codes that would cause Cauri to say something like, "sorry, your party is too weak for me to join...",
like some of those NPCs that you can't recruit until later. :|

Erathia seems designed to be like a version of Misty Islands in MM7, a breeze... :applause:
I can see how those pedestals could be adjusted though, so that the DotG pedestal would grant less stats amount.
The +50 Strength well could be made so that it gives +20 Strength instead, if there's a coding for that.

As far as those treasure chests, if it's viable, the trap level for them could be put at near maxed,
that way players can't access those chests too easily. :wall:
This is very cool advice. You just have to play often to find out some of the chips. I've been playing Rocket League for about 5 years, and I had one of the highest Rocket league ranking . I can tell you with confidence that if you train and want to achieve something in this game, all the skills will come to you with experience. The main thing is just trying to win every game, learn and remember everything new. And so with any game in which you want to achieve success.
Last edited by AmandaKY on 21 Feb 2021, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”