Bug: Dismissed Party Member Disappears Forever

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Akhenaset
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Bug: Dismissed Party Member Disappears Forever

Unread postby Akhenaset » 15 Sep 2020, 14:43

This is the first time I have encountered this bug. I used the Choose Party tool to create a party of five characters in Might and Magic 8, installing Greyface's 2.4.1 patch and MMExtension. When I had to temporarily dismiss one of my characters to hire Frederick Talimere, the character disappeared completely, not appearing at the inn. I have tried replicating the bug and discovered that it happens only to the character that has been added to the party the last during party creation. If I dismiss character two or three or four, he or she appears at the inn, but the one created last disappears still if dismissed. (Update: The bug only occurs if I have four or five characters in my initial party.) I have also noticed that the hirelings at the inn change depending on how many characters I have in my initial party — something I think that I have never seen before. Not sure if this is somehow connected to the bug.

I loaded my old save from a year ago, tried to replicate the bug — and failed. The characters could be dismissed and rehired with no problem.
I am sure that this problem is somehow caused by the Choose Party tool, but I do not know how to bypass it. I have tried creating a party and then deleting the mod; tried using Grayface's patch and not using it after creating the party... nothing helps.

Any advice?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Bug: Dismissed Party Member Disappears Forever

Unread postby cthscr » 19 Sep 2020, 18:17

AFAIK early version of 'Choose Party.lua' hadn't set Hired bits for characters (Party.QBits started from 400, for 4th and 5th created party members they should be 447 and 448).

Akhenaset
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Bug: Dismissed Party Member Disappears Forever

Unread postby Akhenaset » 23 Sep 2020, 13:49

cthscr wrote:AFAIK early version of 'Choose Party.lua' hadn't set Hired bits for characters (Party.QBits started from 400, for 4th and 5th created party members they should be 447 and 448).
I have tinkered with the .lua file and managed to fix the bug: everything works as it should now. Thank you for the advice!

Return to “Might and Magic”