The video below contains playing MM7, MM6 and MM8 (to show that it works with all of them).
There have been other efforts to bring MM 6,7 and 8 games to present but mine is different because
- it does not recreate the levels using Unreal/Unity/etc level editor, it depends on the original game data. This means it is not gray area legal and also it means every stone and rock is where they are supposed to be
- it actually is playable: scripting works, fighting works, traveling works, UI (mostly) works, and many other game mechanics work (NOTE there is still a lot missing, I am not claiming a full game(s)!)
It is done using my own engine, because I wanted the challenge. It is cross platform, so if anything, it will make MM 6,7,8 be playable on a lot of OS's (uses OpenGL for graphics).
Here is more YouTube blurb:
Might and Magic is © Ubisoft. I do not claim copyright over the game. This is just a demo using original games files (legally owned). This is not a product, just a video of a private demo. It just shows what you can do with some sweat and passion to bring those old games back to life.
This is a re-render of Might and Magic 6, 7 and 8 using my own engine. The levels are not recreated, all modifications are done on the fly. Most of the games logic works (fighting, scripting, inventory, AI, time management, travel between areas, etc). A lot of data had to be reversed engineered. See NOTE for thanks. See below for a list of technical upgrades.
- * on the fly re-tessellation of the ground using "Phong tessellation"
- * better lighting and normal smoothing
- * replacement of some sprites (trees, flowers, rocks) with 3D objects
- * shadows (shadow mapping)
- * sun position/time of day based lights and shadows
- * better sky, shader based (thanks Shadertoy)
- * DOF (depth of field) effect
- * added details that lacked before (grass, random rocks, etc)
- * and many others
NOTE: this could never have happened without previous work done by the authors of "World of Might and Magic" (great software BTW), Greyface's work on Might and Magic games, MM7Viewer authors, mm_mapview2 authors and everyone else who delved on the internals of those games. THANK YOU!