MM6 skill emphasis mod (#74)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Re: MM6 skill emphasis mod

Unread postby tnevolin » 25 Feb 2021, 15:45

Indeed I found a bug in 53. Thank you for report. Fixed and reuploaded. Try again, please.

anjinsanroland
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby anjinsanroland » 25 Feb 2021, 15:53

Bug in 53 is fixed. Good job.
But now you should provide a good reason for players to use any main weapon other than the spear.

tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tnevolin » 25 Feb 2021, 16:22

Ugh. When this balancing work ever ends?!
:( :)

I don't think spear becomes too powerful with that.
Attack is weakest property and it gets saturated at 100% hit chance (or when it gets closer to that).
Spear does not improve speed and looses to axe by that.

So let's say your party is moderately advanced with some attack skill already packed in. And you attack weaker armored monsters but lots of them. Then your will hit them most of the time anyway and extra attack from spear doesn't add much.
All combined together spear should be slower than axe and, therefore, have lower damage rate. However, extra attack should give it better penetration ability against exceptionally heavy armored opponents (usually higher level). So some trade-off.
In my mind spear should be slightly better than axe against way advanced opponents that party would otherwise miss most of the time. Like trying to take dragon for paladin quest too early. Again, nothing too OP. Even infinite attack will just cap at 100% hitting chance.

I am sorry, I planned to grant spear extra attack but take AC from it in exchange. I personally don't feel AC is so important property for assault weapon. For Staff it makes sense, though.
I forgot to do the latter. :embarrased: Should update 53 with this or roll into future release.
Last edited by tnevolin on 25 Feb 2021, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tnevolin » 25 Feb 2021, 18:03

I've assessed spear extra attack bonus and found it just slightly excessive. Not that disastrous anyway but I have toned it down a little. Now it advances 1.5 times faster than other weapons attack on master rank. Still axe becomes better general assault weapon above skill level 15.
I've also took AC bonus from spear. Now I am thinking if it is too much of nerfing? We should see.

tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tnevolin » 25 Feb 2021, 18:47

It is too much of weapons in the game and too little parametrization for them. All three weapon parameters are essentially combined into single damage rate value. That is analogous to spell damage value. So essentially weapon parameters boil down to a single damage rate value. Like, for example, dagger advertised as a fast weapon is essentially more damaging weapon at the beginning of the game.

Here are distinction already in this mod.
Staff - a very specialized weapon: defense to wearer, resistance to all, nasty impediment effects to enemy
Sword - auxiliary weapon as in vanilla. No need to distinguish it even more. It is pretty unique already.
Dagger - also auxiliary weapon. Additionally it is posed as more damaging early weapon with bad development. So it should be heavily usable early on and then replaced with more solid weapons.
Axe - most devastating weapon in the game with the best progression.
Spear - originally provided defense to wearer. In this mod it advances attack faster with skill instead.
Mace - medium damage weapon with paralyze effect.
Blaster - replacement for all weapons at the end of the game. However, it does not advance in speed or damage so modified conventional weapons may even overtake it in close combat.

Overall it seems like a pretty solid set with plenty variable weapons worth trying. There are some attention points, though.

Dagger. Yes it play the role of "easy to draw and rush to attack" early weapon that doesn't require any skill point investment. The flip side is that skill point investment return sucks for it. That kind of against RPG game development idea and turn it into garbage weapon later on - including all dagger artifacts. Would be nice to invent some unique ability for it that may also evolve with skill.

Spear. Ugh. Living in the axe's shadow is no easy. I have added extra attack to it hoping that will make it usable against heavily armored opponents. But this is not too much of uniqueness as it boils down to damage anyway. I had other idea in mind to double damage vs. flyers (damage again :( ). Some other people proposed multi opponents hit which makes some sense to fight mobs. We may also grant it double damage vs. dragons (and maybe demons) since spear is perceived as knight's anti dragon weapon, etc.

Any suggestions are welcome.

tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tnevolin » 25 Feb 2021, 18:51

I have researched the seer - altar mechanics in a game and it is exceptionally convoluted and intertwined in a game even engine. No simple fix and I am afraid to even touch it now. I can do it later. So far it does not bother me much as it is not about main mod idea anyway.

tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tnevolin » 26 Feb 2021, 18:16

https://github.com/tnevolin/mm6-skill-e ... version-55
Thank you for GrayFace awesome event tool I was able to tap into shrine events. Enjoy!

Quanenth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Quanenth » 07 Mar 2021, 17:16

Greetings,

First off, thank you for this mod, it's actually quite promising. I played a bit with it (also fast-forwarded some things with an item editor to check how some things work and some numbers) and I have a couple key-points I would like to ask and/or suggest.

-Unless it's the old machine I'm trying the mod on (because mine kind of died a couple days ago), character stat screen is quite laggy-slow. Not sure if this is something apparent in newer pcs or if it is something that can be fixed.
-Monsters seem to be moving way too fast. My estimation is they're "running" at 2x speed. If that is the case, I would encourage you to slow them down at least at 1.5x speed, as 2x feels way too unnatural.
-Blasters crash the game when attacking and/or when opening the stat screen. From the debug, seems like there is a division by zero somewhere.
-Right clicking on monsters shows their statistics, attacks, resistances etc. (which is amazing, thank you), however if you try to do it again after they take damage (right click on them, to check their current hp for instance) it crashes the game quite often.
-There was some rebalancing on the numbers on 2H weapons, but only on some of them. Titanic Trident for instance has the same bonuses as a Heavy Poleax. Artifacts were not updated either, which makes most equivalent normal weapons actually better to wield and negates the purpose of artifact/relic 2H weapons.
-Not sure if it was a greyface patch thing, a mmmerge thing or something from chaos conspiracy, but I remember hiring an instructor for instance showed a +15 to learning when right-clicking the skill. This does not happen in this mod, but it would be a grand feature if you could make it work.

I could have some suggestions on the mod, numerical and otherwise, if you'd like me to. Please let me know.

Again, this looks very promising and thank you for your work,
~Quanenth

P.S.: I followed the installation instructions step by step, greyface patch and everything that was needed.
I am 99% certain the errors I am getting are not specific to my installation.
Last edited by Quanenth on 08 Mar 2021, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.

Quanenth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Quanenth » 07 Mar 2021, 18:36

I need to add to my previous reply (or next, depending on how these are approved). I just found a major bug on the archer, which I believe is due to mm6 engine limitation.

While archer skill point damage bonus on bows shows up on stat screen, it doesn't work. The attacks do not get the added damage on the mobs. I made a level 100 warrior mage with 60 points in bow (master) and was doing about 15 points of damage to goblins in New Sorpigal with a stellar bow (and often not 1-shooting them). On the same party I had a Knight (Champion) with 60 points in bow (master) as well as 60 points in sword (master). Seems like melee damage bonus works normally as it is programmed, but ranged fails to go through.

If it is an engine limitation issue I doubt there is a workaround to this, which also makes the archer a non-identity/"useless" class compared to the others. If there's a hidden attribute to the code in mm6 that lets you limit items to classes that wasn't used in the game (like "elven" and "evil" weapons in mm7), there might be a way to circumvent it and tie a weapon type to archer (for instance bows but not crossbows), you could add the damage bonus there.
Last edited by Quanenth on 08 Mar 2021, 15:09, edited 2 times in total.

tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tnevolin » 23 Mar 2021, 17:18

Welcome, Quanenth.
I sure like suggestions and good discussion.
Quanenth wrote: -Unless it's the old machine I'm trying the mod on (because mine kind of died a couple days ago), character stat screen is quite laggy-slow. Not sure if this is something apparent in newer pcs or if it is something that can be fixed.
Didn't get it. Do you mean stat screen renders visibly slow? I never noticed it on mine. You maybe right. Additional computations for damage rate I have added use some extra math, obviously. They should be nothing for modern computers, though. Can you test one thing on the computer you are experiencing this? Try to open stats screen in vanilla and then in this mod and then some other mod that uses MMExtensions (like chaos conspiracy) and compare.
I can try to optimize math if possible. However, I bet the most impact is not the math per se but the MMExtensions usage in general. It created multitude of hooks in original code slowing the overall processing tremendously. However, as I said already, that should be nothing for modern computers.
Quanenth wrote: -Monsters seem to be moving way too fast. My estimation is they're "running" at 2x speed. If that is the case, I would encourage you to slow them down at least at 1.5x speed, as 2x feels way too unnatural.
That was the point to make them move faster than player so party cannot escape them just running straight in line. Thus, eliminating hit and run tactics. I agree they visually move faster than then move their legs.
No harm, though, apart from aesthetic.
One would argue that there are a lot of unnatural movement in vanilla too. We just got used to it for the years of playing.
Yet I am still open for discussion how to make them slower providing there are some other options to not allow player plainly escape them.
Quanenth wrote: -Blasters crash the game when attacking and/or when opening the stat screen. From the debug, seems like there is a division by zero somewhere.
Oops. Thank you for testing that. Never got to blasters. I should check it out!
Quanenth wrote: -Right clicking on monsters shows their statistics, attacks, resistances etc. (which is amazing, thank you), however if you try to do it again after they take damage (right click on them, to check their current hp for instance) it crashes the game quite often.
Were you by the chance clicked on dead ones? I found and fixed this bug. Will test it more on live ones too. Thank you.
Quanenth wrote: -There was some rebalancing on the numbers on 2H weapons, but only on some of them. Titanic Trident for instance has the same bonuses as a Heavy Poleax. Artifacts were not updated either, which makes most equivalent normal weapons actually better to wield and negates the purpose of artifact/relic 2H weapons.
That is the work in progress and pretty difficult one as there are a lot of items as you pointed out. I do not in any way claim that my way to alter them is perfect. Trying to balance some of them may disturb it for others, etc. I would quite welcome your suggestions on how to achieve it including specific statistics modifications for specific items!

2H base stats are mostly fine. They are about twice as better than 1H ones which makes sense. Their bonuses, though, are in same range with 1H ones. That makes high end 2H weapons inferior to dual wield. I tried to correct it by roughly doubling their bonuses too.

I will correct trident base damage in next release. Making them 2d4 was a mistake. They are good as 2d6.
Their bonus damage, though, is another story. They can be used as both 1H and 2H weapon. So I cannot just increase their bonuses directly as this will make them OP 1H weapon. They have their special 2H bonus (extra roll). This is somewhat small bonus for 2H weapon but nothing too drastically bad. I may change it too if you think it worth it.

Supreme Axe: 4d2+11 = 17
Sacred Spear (1H): 1d10+13 = 18.5
Elite Halberd (1H): 3d4+10 = 17.5

Grand Poleax (2H): 3d7+24 = 30
Sacred Spear (2H): 2d10+13 = 24
Elite Halberd (2H): 4d4+10 = 20

Maybe give them slightly higher base damage?

---

Upon thinking - no.
They already have speed bonus so they are pretty much well set in the early game. The fact that axe overtake them with skill is just fair.
Quanenth wrote: -Not sure if it was a greyface patch thing, a mmmerge thing or something from chaos conspiracy, but I remember hiring an instructor for instance showed a +15 to learning when right-clicking the skill. This does not happen in this mod, but it would be a grand feature if you could make it work.
Hmm. I don't think I have ever tapped to hirelings contribution. Let me test it to be sure. You are right that instructor should add plain 15 learning.

---

I have retested it and it works exactly as in vanilla adding 15% on top of what character has. Keep in mind that learning skill has different progression by itself in this mod. That does not affects hirelings. They are just flat addition on top.
Quanenth wrote: I could have some suggestions on the mod, numerical and otherwise, if you'd like me to. Please let me know.
Don't even ask permissions. That is what this forum is for. The more the merrier!
Quanenth wrote: P.S.: I followed the installation instructions step by step, greyface patch and everything that was needed.
Can you list error, please? By the way, how did you play it if you could not install???
Last edited by tnevolin on 23 Mar 2021, 19:48, edited 4 times in total.

tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tnevolin » 23 Mar 2021, 17:24

Quanenth wrote: While archer skill point damage bonus on bows shows up on stat screen, it doesn't work. The attacks do not get the added damage on the mobs. I made a level 100 warrior mage with 60 points in bow (master) and was doing about 15 points of damage to goblins in New Sorpigal with a stellar bow (and often not 1-shooting them). On the same party I had a Knight (Champion) with 60 points in bow (master) as well as 60 points in sword (master). Seems like melee damage bonus works normally as it is programmed, but ranged fails to go through.
Uh-oh. Another item to check. Thank you. You are just awesome at finding them.
Quanenth wrote: If it is an engine limitation issue I doubt there is a workaround to this, which also makes the archer a non-identity/"useless" class compared to the others. If there's a hidden attribute to the code in mm6 that lets you limit items to classes that wasn't used in the game (like "elven" and "evil" weapons in mm7), there might be a way to circumvent it and tie a weapon type to archer (for instance bows but not crossbows), you could add the damage bonus there.
Whatever is it I just need to find out first.

---

Yes. Engine limitation. It does not take anything into account besides item damage itself. I probably can override that. No biggie.
However, I am starting to think whether giving skill damage to the bow was a mistake. For one, +300 bow damage at skill 60 is kind of … too much. For second, when archer switch bow to blaster it loses all benefits. It would be semi natural to transfer their skills to blaster but giving blaster extra damage is just too OP.
So all and all it seems right for ranged weapons damage to not grow with skill. I am afraid to mess with it myself. Can sure discuss other proposals.

This being said maybe there is another way to distinguish archer? Like significantly boosted accuracy and speed which makes sense for more skillful guy to hit the target more accurate and more often.

Unfortunately, accuracy is already pretty saturated stat in vanilla and doesn't give much with skill growth. I have already increased monsters AC to make accuracy more valuable. I am tending to increase it even more so advancing accuracy becomes more pronounced with skill level. That will help archer to stand out of the crowd.
Last edited by tnevolin on 23 Mar 2021, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tnevolin » 23 Mar 2021, 17:46

Quanenth wrote: -Monsters seem to be moving way too fast. My estimation is they're "running" at 2x speed. If that is the case, I would encourage you to slow them down at least at 1.5x speed, as 2x feels way too unnatural.
That was the point to make them move faster than player so party cannot escape them just running straight in line. Thus, eliminating hit and run tactics. I agree they visually move faster than then move their legs.
No harm, though, apart from aesthetic.
One would argue that there are a lot of unnatural movement in vanilla too. We just got used to it for the years of playing.
Yet I am still open for discussion how to make them slower providing there are some other options to not allow player plainly escape them.

<hr>

I have a wild idea that may replace monster higher speed.

Why don't we give ALL monsters range attack even to those not having it currently? The damage should not be too much especially for those not having it in vanilla. It will be just some auxiliary mean to get to player. It should be nothing for matching party but should reduce a completely stupid tactics of shooting them unchallenged from distance - like over the body of water. That is actually added to all goblins in 7 which makes sense to me because otherwise they would be uninterestingly weak.

This seems pretty logical to me from strategical point of view. Now player may attack small group of weak shooters from afar but it quickly becomes dangerous to shoot large groups of weak monsters over the river. No more "put a stone on A key and go to lunch" tactics.
:D

tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tnevolin » 24 Mar 2021, 00:41

RE:
-Right clicking on monsters shows their statistics, attacks, resistances etc. (which is amazing, thank you), however if you try to do it again after they take damage (right click on them, to check their current hp for instance) it crashes the game quite often.

I have tried it and didn't notice any crashes. Only time it crashed on me before is when I checked stats on dead ones. I fixed it and now it works well alive and dead. Never saw it crashed since. Please send me error if you see it again.

Check version #62 with some fixes. Let me know I missed anything.
Last edited by tnevolin on 24 Mar 2021, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

Quanenth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Quanenth » 24 Mar 2021, 17:18

I got my pc back to life, which means I have an insane amount of work to catch up on.
However, when that happens I'll get back to the mod and find out whatever was noted.
P.S.: I followed the installation instructions step by step, greyface patch and everything that was needed.
On this thing I was referring to the crashes for instance I was getting when I was re-right clicking (alive) monsters.

Some things that are on my mind as we speak:
-It's ok for the archer to be better with the bow than the blasters and prefer to use these instead. They're also much slower weapons as well, which should make some added damage on the archer good enough. If not the current 4, maybe 3 or 2 per level. Not less than 2 in my opinion. Tweaking their accuracy along some damage should be good enough to make the Archer class worth playing.
-Not sure how I feel about giving monsters range. Maybe it would be ok-ish a 20% increase to their range if they moved at 150% speed at most instead of 200% (or whatever the current one is).
-Halberds, spears and tridents are the same base type though, they can all be wielded one-handed so they should be on par with each other. How does the game handle the extra damage they get when they're wielded 2-Handed? Is it a bonus you can change? Because if it is, that's where you should aim their bigger number for their 2-Handed balance and keep their base damage similar to another slow 1-Handed weapon (like a mace).
-Goblins in mm7 got ranged attacks. If you give goblins in mm6 enough melee range to even attack even across a river (which would be extremely unnatural and an immersion-killer), nothing stops me or any player from moving as far back as I need to to not get smacked.

tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tnevolin » 24 Mar 2021, 19:51

Quanenth wrote: -It's ok for the archer to be better with the bow than the blasters and prefer to use these instead. They're also much slower weapons as well, which should make some added damage on the archer good enough. If not the current 4, maybe 3 or 2 per level. Not less than 2 in my opinion. Tweaking their accuracy along some damage should be good enough to make the Archer class worth playing.
Bows are slower initially but they accelerate with skill. This mod gives 6 speed/level. Bow catches up with 100 blaster speed bonus at level 16 and then they gets faster. I specifically wanted to seamlessly transit bows to blaster and make them not too much worse at the beginning. That is why my bow and blaster skills are advancing simultaneously. Granted they have different mechanical principle but I just didn't want player to waste their accumulated bow skill points.
That is why I like archer to excel at any range weapon during the game.

I agree that it is fine to give archer extra damage to ranged attack. However, as it turned out, this is more difficult to implement, albeit not impossible. So I just doubled their attack and speed progression per level. Hope this will be noticeable enough. Also works well with blaster same way.
Quanenth wrote: -Not sure how I feel about giving monsters range. Maybe it would be ok-ish a 20% increase to their range if they moved at 150% speed at most instead of 200% (or whatever the current one is).
Half of them already have it. Even higher goblins do. I'll just extend this ability on lower types proportionally weaker. They don't need to have strong ranged attack. Just enough to keep player in check if they want to mercilessly slaughter bunch of them at a time.
Ranged attack replaces increased speed. They don't need that high speed anymore.
Quanenth wrote: -Halberds, spears and tridents are the same base type though, they can all be wielded one-handed so they should be on par with each other. How does the game handle the extra damage they get when they're wielded 2-Handed? Is it a bonus you can change? Because if it is, that's where you should aim their bigger number for their 2-Handed balance and keep their base damage similar to another slow 1-Handed weapon (like a mace).
They are on par with each other. Their slight variation in base damage in vanilla is negligible. And I made it even more negligible in this mod. Overall, base damage is absolutely minor thing comparing to weapon and skill bonuses.

2H spear gives extra dice roll. Don't you read item descriptions? :)
Yes. I can change this bonus but I don't see much point to. It's pretty minor difference comparing to what you get with skill.

Mace is not a slow weapon. It is the second fastest weapon after dagger. So is spear. Or were you referring to their speed not improved with skill?
Spear already has extra skill attack bonus similar to axe having still speed bonus. Still axe seems to be better in damage rate. Unfortunately, there no much variety in damage dealing. So some weapon bound to be stronger. Spear now has some niche use and this is enough variety I guess. If you invent some pretty unique way to use it (multi hit is already taken by dagger) - I'm all ears. Otherwise, trying to balance damage is pointless at large scale.
Quanenth wrote: -Goblins in mm7 got ranged attacks. If you give goblins in mm6 enough melee range to even attack even across a river (which would be extremely unnatural and an immersion-killer), nothing stops me or any player from moving as far back as I need to to not get smacked.
[/quote]

It seems to be misunderstanding. I planned to give monster ranged attack to those not having it. Not to increase their melee attack range. The latter is impossible to change - it is hardcoded everywhere.
Last edited by tnevolin on 24 Mar 2021, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

Quanenth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Quanenth » 26 Mar 2021, 15:23

I clearly do, which is why I asked if this damage is modifiable, and that if it is it's where the extra damage you would add to spears when wielded 2H on this mod should go (if any).
Or were you referring to their speed not improved with skill?
That. In the end it would be a much slower weapon than most.
Sadly, armsmaster skill does not exist in mm6.

On a second thought, is it impossible to add new skills to the game, such as armsmaster?

tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tnevolin » 26 Mar 2021, 15:50

Quanenth wrote:
I clearly do, which is why I asked if this damage is modifiable, and that if it is it's where the extra damage you would add to spears when wielded 2H on this mod should go (if any).
Everything is modifiable.

I was just pointing out that they are currently have descent stats for one hand weapon and about 10 less attack/damage comparing to 2H axes. I think this is fine as they are faster at the beginning which compensate for it. Otherwise, if we match their damage, spears become clearly superior in early game. I am open to specific numerical suggestions.
Quanenth wrote:

That. In the end it would be a much slower weapon than most.
Sadly, armsmaster skill does not exist in mm6.

On a second thought, is it impossible to add new skills to the game, such as armsmaster?
I think I did exactly that by granting classes extra damage per weapon per skill. Similar to mm7 knight's GM armsmaster and paladin's M armsmaster. Creating special skill won't do in mm6 as everybody who can learn it can master it too. So won't be a distinction between knight and others.

Let me reiterate this one more time. There is an imbalance between weapons. There are too many of them. We cannot make them all absolutely equal. That would be boring. So they are bound to be one better than another for particular purposes. From the game point of view we can make them move variative to make them more interesting to use. Then it won't matter much if they are of different power.

Summarizing above, I don't see much use in spending too much time trying to equalize parameters exactly between different weapon types to the single digit. Some variance is completely fine.
Last edited by tnevolin on 26 Mar 2021, 15:51, edited 2 times in total.

tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tnevolin » 26 Mar 2021, 15:55

Here I think a good idea example already implemented.
Dagger is generally inferior weapon in the late game becomes more powerful when surrounded by monsters. That makes it theoretically usable throughout the game and also encourage player to carry them and switch to them when circumstance is right. Optional but interesting element in the game.

I am still searching for something like that for spear but nothing yet seems distinct enough to make it interesting.

tnevolin
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tnevolin » 29 Mar 2021, 01:54

Good news. I have encountered occasional crash on monster stat check and fixed it.

Gay Lord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gay Lord » 03 Jan 2022, 07:03

Has anyone tried this mod? What were your thoughts? I've always had issues with some of the vanilla rules and this mod seems the only thing that comes close to addressing them.

Return to “Might and Magic”