Which graphics/artwork do you like the best? (MM6 - MM8)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Which graphics/artwork do you like the best? (MM6 - MM8)

Unread postby Anubis » 03 Apr 2020, 05:45

Just out of curiosity, from the following three games (Might and Magic 6/7/8), which graphics/artwork are the most appealing/memorable to you in terms of:

- NPC Portraits
- Character paper dolls
- GUI
- Weapons/items/armor in inventory
- Weapons/armor on character paperdoll
- Landscaping (trees, rocks, bridges, etc.)
- Spell book icons
- Monster sprites
- Overall textures in the world (dungeon textures, textures in towns, textures in the wilderness)

d2r
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Which graphics/artwork do you like the best? (MM6 - MM8)

Unread postby d2r » 03 Apr 2020, 20:13

I've never actually played MM8 so it might be cheating, but TBH I prefer MM7.

MM7's NPC sprites just looked better for the most part, and the player characters' paper dolls looked WAY better. The item sprites are all pretty good for the time period, especially the Ideal Crossbow which is just gorgeous. MM6's main advantage over MM7 in terms of item design IMO is that its top-level helmet doesn't look as goofy as the Mogred Helm does.

At the risk of sounding uptight and potentially starting an argument, MM7 also didn't have any enemy models that were as, shall we say, "politically incorrect" as stuff like the cannibals in Bootleg Bay. Those cannibal sprites did not age well - hell, even in 1998 people were raising eyebrows - which gives MM7 an edge in terms of its art design.
Last edited by d2r on 03 Apr 2020, 20:19, edited 3 times in total.

NotABroom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NotABroom » 03 Apr 2020, 20:54

MM8 is pretty much the same style as MM7 when it comes to sprites. The games even share some sprites, like wyverns, behemoths, trolls (degraded to peasants in MM8) and elementals. 8 is a little better than 7, I prefer the dragons in 8 over the ones in 7 for example.
MM6 has some really cool unique monsters like varn defenders, doom knights, wyrms or fire lizards. It's a bit like comparing Heroes 2 and Heroes 3. The ladder one having a more mature graphic style, maybe more realistic. But Heroes 2 and MM6 have this magic of their own. I think I prefer MM6 when it comes to monsters. Actually by quite a bit the more I think about it.

Paperdolls and character faces really look better in 7 and 8. Weapons tend to be more colorful in MM6, which I also like quite a bit - but all in all items look better in 7 and 8. Things on paperdolls look the best in 8 I would say.

GUI I prefer the MM7 one. MM6 I like equally, but it's just so cool when you get to choose the evil or good side and then your whole interface color changes.

Landscapes probably look the best in 8, but that's really a matter of the better textures.

NPC portraits are best in MM6 for sure.
Last edited by NotABroom on 03 Apr 2020, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 03 Apr 2020, 22:19

I think it would be nice to add the ambient scenes (animated or not) of interiors/entrances as an item of the list.

- NPC Portraits
MM7. I like their stylistic approach more than in MM6; as for MM8, I think it was probably similar to MM7 but less developed.

- Character paper dolls
All were very cool in their own way I think. Personally, I prefer MM8's paper dolls; MM7's paper dolls were great as they've implemented more racial diversity (in both senses!); MM6's paper dolls were very colorful and had fancy clothing variety considering the characters were all Humans (I like that clothing diversity for a same race, gave them some singular personalities).

- GUI
MM7 I think was the best solved… MM8 was simplier though, and MM6 has that unique command for checking 'Time' from the virtual agenda.

Hard to choose. I can't choose. All those items' graphics were very original and beautiful. I tend to prefer (maybe) MM7's…, followed by MM8's then MM6's.

Can't really decide; as far as I can rememeber now, MM6 had some trouble with armors and MM8 had some problems with belts.

Nearly all the same for me. All good memories! :D

- Spell book icons
MM7.

- Monster sprites
I guess for me the same idea as for items.

- Overall textures in the world (dungeon textures, textures in towns, textures in the wilderness)
Can't decide, each game has great textures for the engine and nice ideas.

- Ambient images/scenes (still/animated) of building interiors and dungeon entrances.
MM7 and MM8.
Last edited by Kinox on 03 Apr 2020, 22:34, edited 3 times in total.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 05 Apr 2020, 05:08

- NPC Portraits
All games recycle persons/models behind portraits, but most obvious it is in MM8 in my opinion. Initially I did not like the MM6 style (although that was kind of common in games in certain times), but I have grown to like it. Perhaps the reason is that I have replaced several of the faces with reallife celebrities and they match better with MM6 style.

- Character paper dolls
In my opinion the MM8 doll has a bit strange propotions regarding body and leg proportions, but maybe it is just my eyes that decieve me.

- GUI
All are fine. Since MM7 is my general favourite then that is what i am most used to.

MM7 gets my vote, but nothing wrong with the others.

All are fine.

No preference.

- Spell book icons
MM7 and some in MM8. MM6 is a clear looser here.

- Monster sprites
MM8 uses many sprites from MM7, but I would go with MM7. A reason again is the look of peasants who look much better in MM6 and MM7.

Houses in towns are probably best even in MM6, which (at least subjectively) has more diverese and and colorful textures. MM7 and MM8 try to give towns more uniform look, which makes them more dull.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 05 Apr 2020, 23:05

Pitsu wrote:- Character paper dolls
In my opinion the MM8 doll has a bit strange propotions regarding body and leg proportions, but maybe it is just my eyes that decieve me.
Yes, that for me was a bit strange when playing MM8 originally; especially for the Trolls (and perhaps Minotaurs) apparently shorter legs in relation to their torsos; but, since they are fantasy monster characters (and that it's harder to tell realistic similarities with human bodies), I eventually started to find such feature… interesting. :hoo:

But now that you've mentioned, I've rechecked with more attention the other humanoid paper dolls, and, indeed! there seem to be, in these cases (both Male and Female, but especially the latter), a huge difference in the size between right and left legs; they've thrown a chance in perspective maybe, but that seem to have created some trouble. Fundamentally, the left (eastern) leg is shorter than the right (western) leg; additionally, it is likely that, if you have the left leg as the 'correct' size for both legs (try to imagine it), it would also seem that there would be a bad proportion relative to the torso; so the right leg seem the more proportionated one, although it could also be a bit too lengthy (the thigh I guess). I've never noticed these stuff to this degree of perception, really impressive.

On the other hand, for me, MM7 also had lots of 'wrong' proportions; and that I often found strange. Except for the Dwarves (both Male and Female), which I think seem adequated for their specific proportions,
usually the problem is that the Human/Elf/Goblin Female arms (not the forearms) seem too long in relation to the torso and the forearms (ESPECIALLY the right/western arm), and also, both the Male and Female shins (ESPECIALLY in Females but would say in Males a bit too) seem too short in relation to the thighs. Actually, what could be said about this issue is that the knees 'were set a bit too low in the legs — if the legs could be seen straight.

I know there are more stuff, in MM7 and maybe in MM8 paperdolls; but this is my current analysis for the time being.

In conclusion, you probably have Grand-Mastered Perception Skill in MM8, and me, instead, in MM7. :D
Personally, I still find all the paperdolls base models quite charming and that the issues do not overshadow the overall creative roleplay feature of developing and playing with the characters in MM6-8. :hug:
Last edited by Kinox on 05 Apr 2020, 23:09, edited 3 times in total.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 06 Apr 2020, 13:38

No doubt 7. MM6 look too modern and dungeons seem bit too similar and grim. Mm7 have way better design even if everything is smaller. MM8 look bit empty in general, though custom models like troll or mintaur with their special amor look are cool

- NPC Portraits

MM7 hands down. MM6 seem really out of place , and 8 while they have some exotic stuff , mm7 have best of bunch of portraits. Voices are best in mm6 as well
- Character paper dolls
I guess all of them are good , MM8 have nice custom armor looks, but i wouldnt really give winner to any one of 3 . MM 6 some of them are bit ugly.
- GUI
I guess mm 8 have most optimized one , as its last game. Though visually i still like mm7 one better.
Mm7 but like with paper dolls , all sprites of inventory are cool
Hands down mm7 . MM 8 can be felt to be somewhat shrotcuted in quality
- Spell book icons
MM8 , have most intreresting spellbook as they actually made it to look different for each school ,and outside the standartized icon space
- Monster sprites
Again , mm 7 hands down , same reason as portrait argument.
Again , mm 7 hands down , same reason as portrait argument.
Last edited by Tress on 06 Apr 2020, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 07 Apr 2020, 10:22

GUI - perhaps, MM7. MM6 is close. MM8's dark-green UI is bad, very bad.
Paper dolls - hard to tell, I like all 3.
Character Portraits - probably MM7.
Textures - MM6.
Monsters - MM7.
Spell book - MM6 > MM7 > MM8. I chose MM6 mostly due to spells always having color, not just when under mouse.
Last edited by GrayFace on 07 Apr 2020, 11:04, edited 4 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 14 Apr 2020, 21:47

I have a VERY soft spot for mm6 because it was my first RPG ever, but even so...

- NPC Portraits: MM6, the ones in MM7 are horrible.
- Character paper dolls: MM6 - I dislike two handed weapons in MM8, and when a woman in MM7 holds a two handed weapon her arms look unhealthy.
- GUI: not sure
- Weapons/items/armor in inventory: one of MM7/MM8
- Weapons/armor on character paperdoll: one of MM7/MM8
- Landscaping (trees, rocks, bridges, etc.): did I mention I have a soft spot for MM6?
- Spell book icons: MM7!
- Monster sprites: not sure
- Overall textures in the world (dungeon textures, textures in towns, textures in the wilderness): MM6

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 20 Apr 2020, 18:52

- NPC Portraits

MM8 followed closely by MM7. MM6 are too uneven size-wise and it's quite clear they're based on real-like faces which I'm not a fan of. MM6 had WAY better NPC portraits though. The absolute best of the 3, the MM7 ones look like they're made of rubber and MM8 ones are recycled to hell and back.

- Character paper dolls

MM8, no discussion. MM7 poses are atrocious, they look stiff and unnatural. MM6 just feel outdated, but at least they were posed naturally.

- GUI

MM8 looks the sleekest, but none of them bother me.

MM8, they look sleek, modern (well, in comparison to 6 and 7 ofc), and colorful.

MM8 by far, they're closely tied to paperdoll quality and as I said above MM8 paperdolls are the only ones I can enjoy looking at.

Honestly never paid enough attention to these to judge.

- Spell book icons

MM7 or MM8, not a fan of MM6 but not a crucial factor for me either way.

- Monster sprites

No preference here. There are some cool looking monsters in all 3 games like Cuisinarts/Archers from MM6, Medusas/Speaker of the Dead ladies from MM7, phoenixes/winged sneks from MM8. I generally like the three MM games monster design a lot.

MM8 due to the more saturated colors. I have retextured all MM7 grounds etc when I played it cause I don't like the desaturated world here. It doesn't feel atmospheric to me as some desaturated worlds can in other games. It just looks bland. MM6 ground textures look outdated in comparison to both MM7 and MM8.

Treesprite17
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Treesprite17 » 19 Aug 2020, 13:12

-NPC Portraits
Love the MM6 ones. So much personality and variation, I felt MM7 and MM8 were so basic by comparison.

- Character paper dolls
They all have their own charm. MM6 do look a bit out of place, I find I can't mix them with MM7 and MM8 characters when playing the fantastic Merged Mod for instance, they look too jarring. If I had to pick I'd say 7.

- GUI
MM6 and MM7 Is it weird that I really like all the different book selections on my screen? I also love all these little pretty icons for spell effects. The skull icon in MM8 for opening your spellbook is just ugh to me. Bring back my little wizard's bookshelf any day.

MM6 and MM& had the prettiest items and weapons. I love the faerie amulet with the dancing spark from MM6 in particular. MM6 Potion bottles are the nicest.

The enchanted leather armour from MM6 is one of my favourites, it really does look enchanted!

MM6 Apple trees!

- Spell book icons
MM6 has the best spellbook icons, I love them. First aid being a little apple for instance as opposed to some bloody wound or guy in pain like MM7 and MM8.

- Monster sprites
MM6 Goblins! Nostalgia.

New Sorpegul's textures will always be my favourite. When I was a child I thought it was simply the prettiest town and I'd love to live there haha!
Last edited by Treesprite17 on 19 Aug 2020, 13:14, edited 2 times in total.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 26 Aug 2020, 18:47

Anubis wrote:Just out of curiosity, from the following three games (Might and Magic 6/7/8), which graphics/artwork are the most appealing/memorable to you in terms of:

- NPC Portraits
- Character paper dolls
- GUI
- Spell book icons
- Monster sprites
- NPC Portraits

MM8.
MM6 was often weird, though I am sure people making it had fun and MM7 human females were ugly, though other races got super pretty females.
MM8 got it right.

- Character paper dolls

MM8 probably.
MM6 got that monotonous, MM7 too, though it got a feeling to it. MM8 got variability and adaptive dolls.

- GUI

MM7.
Seriously? The options.. Neutral, Good, Evil.. books on right, all them click sounds.. lovely!

MM7.
Alchemy is <3. Shapes of items suits my feeling, other games items were "fat" in inventory.

Same as Character paper dolls.

MM7 and MM8.
MM6 is way too.. clumsy and, well, ground opens up to skies and walls disappear at times..
Those two didn't had those issues and got a feeling to them.

- Spell book icons

MM6 or MM7.
MM6 is organized at the expense of creativity while MM7 got a great feeling about the icons.
MM8 is.. meh..

- Monster sprites

I can literally spend hours thinking about this and not comming to a conclusion, sorry.
All got mostly suitable sprites.. for being sprites.

- Overall textures in the world

All good, but this is one thing that seems to have developed in a good way over time from MM6 to MM8.
I wish Dark Dwarves didn't used copied dungeon though, like really..?

sator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sator » 09 Nov 2020, 13:02

Anubis wrote: - NPC Portraits
- Character paper dolls
- GUI
- Spell book icons
- Monster sprites
For all of these I vote Might and Magic 7. M&M 6 uses painted on photographs for character portraits and the paperdolls are lackluster. For M&M 8 I severely dislike the interface, the spellbook artwork, the item images and some of the paperdolls. M&M 7 is the pinnacle IMO.

Return to “Might and Magic”