MM7Rev4modR1 Redone

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Re: MM7Rev4modR1 Redone

Unread postby DaveHer » 08 Jun 2020, 10:39

cthscr wrote:
DaveHer wrote:If you want to move the image to the left, you need to add columns of pixels (blue) on the right side
Don't you need to remove the exact amount from the left side?
You may be right. I made some new helmets for MM7 and had to position them using that technique, but I didn't have to subtract from the other side. However, armor is bigger and you may have to subtract from the other side.
David

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 08 Jun 2020, 20:46

That would make sense. I was wondering how the position of the box within the paper doll was determined. If it's a fixed positioning, then you have a fixed area within which to move the image. That's the part of the problem -- at least with the Plain Clothes (probably others, too). There's no more room on the left side to subtract.

@Daveher if you can find a quick and easy way to solve with Corel Draw, then that sounds great. In the meantime, I'll try and see if I can reshape with Gimp, like I did last night. I saw someone in another thread talk about converting to PNG for their manipulation, then converting back to BMP when finished. I wonder if doing so might remove the blue outline. I bet it's from some kind of distortion or corruption from the warping process.

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 08 Jun 2020, 22:28

I played with Gimp a little more, messing with Layers and Transparencies, getting in way over my head, and discovered that the armors really are shaped just right. I was moving the armor as a layer on top of a paper doll, trying (and failing) to figure out how to get Gimp to remove the blue background, when I saw that the shapes matched perfectly when aligned correctly.

There's no shaping mismatch, it's just displaced by 7 pixels to the right. If the entire image block were to be moved 7 pixels to the left, it would line up perfectly. As there's no room on the left side of the image block, the whole block would have to be moved. That sounds like a MM7 thing, not a Gimp or Corel thing -- unless I'm completely mistaken, which is quite possible.

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 08 Jun 2020, 22:52

Great news! I figured out how to get Gimp to simply move the image over within the background. It was the "Fit Layer to Image" option. There still isn't room to move the image to the left, but I figure a little missing leg or shoulder strap is a small price to pay for the rest of it mostly fitting. Behold the workaround:

Edit: Hmm.. Don't know why I'm not seeing imbedded images. Here's the link.
https://imgur.com/oCli7Ju
Last edited by lightbringer23 on 08 Jun 2020, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 08 Jun 2020, 23:20

lightbringer23 wrote: Edit: Hmm.. Don't know why I'm not seeing imbedded images. Here's the link.
https://imgur.com/oCli7Ju
That doesn't look bad at all. Good work. :tsup:
David

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 08 Jun 2020, 23:30

Thanks! It was essentially a 3 step process in Gimp. Move image 7 pixels over, Layer>Layer to Image Size, Export. Took just a few minutes to do the female versions of all the armors. Now time to go and enjoy the game and your mod :D

Edit: Turns out, just a couple armors had no room to the left. Most did. Regardless, a little shaved off a leg or shoulder is almost unnoticeable.
Last edited by lightbringer23 on 08 Jun 2020, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 10 Jun 2020, 07:38

Got a couple of bugs to report, both involving CTDs -- one minor and one more significant.
The minor:
As part of the "Find a Herondale's Lost Shield" quest in Harmondale, there's an NPC who wants amulets in exchange for plate armor. Before you get told to seek plate armor, that part of that NPCs dialogue says "White Barrel" and causes a crash when I click on it. After I received the quest step to acquire guardian plate, the correct text appeared on that NPC and all was well.

The not-so-minor:
This may be that "too many monsters" CTD appearing in Harmondale. I did summon Grognard's army via the signal fires before I had killed more than a handful of other goblins on the map, thereby increasing the monster count. I cleared almost the whole map -- picking up the corpses as I went -- except for the mountain pass behind the caves on the way to the Arbiter.

The last group of goblins before the arbiter kept causing CTDs. I don't think it was tied directly to summoning, though there were certainly Chiefs who summoned. It seemed tied to the group of enemies. If I booked it out of there without fighting them at all, I could avoid a crash. If I tried to run through to the Arbiter, I would end up crashing. If I lured the goblins away from that part of the pass -- further back, or toward the Arbiter's lake -- I would end up crashing. It seemed that the longer I was in combat with them, the greater the likelihood of a crash. I duplicated this many times. Some crashes occurred without me attacking or spellcasting at all.

I was able to continue on with the game by just leaving them alone. I'm hoping that if I approach the Arbiter from a different direction, I won't trigger the issue later on.

Otherwise, good fun so far.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 10 Jun 2020, 11:29

lightbringer23 wrote:Got a couple of bugs to report, both involving CTDs -- one minor and one more significant.
The minor:
As part of the "Find a Herondale's Lost Shield" quest in Harmondale, there's an NPC who wants amulets in exchange for plate armor. Before you get told to seek plate armor, that part of that NPCs dialogue says "White Barrel" and causes a crash when I click on it. After I received the quest step to acquire guardian plate, the correct text appeared on that NPC and all was well.

The not-so-minor:
This may be that "too many monsters" CTD appearing in Harmondale. I did summon Grognard's army via the signal fires before I had killed more than a handful of other goblins on the map, thereby increasing the monster count. I cleared almost the whole map -- picking up the corpses as I went -- except for the mountain pass behind the caves on the way to the Arbiter.

The last group of goblins before the arbiter kept causing CTDs. I don't think it was tied directly to summoning, though there were certainly Chiefs who summoned. It seemed tied to the group of enemies. If I booked it out of there without fighting them at all, I could avoid a crash. If I tried to run through to the Arbiter, I would end up crashing. If I lured the goblins away from that part of the pass -- further back, or toward the Arbiter's lake -- I would end up crashing. It seemed that the longer I was in combat with them, the greater the likelihood of a crash. I duplicated this many times. Some crashes occurred without me attacking or spellcasting at all.

I was able to continue on with the game by just leaving them alone. I'm hoping that if I approach the Arbiter from a different direction, I won't trigger the issue later on.

Otherwise, good fun so far.
Do not click on those topics. "Barrels". The game is not set up to show those topics and yet they show up anyway. I have no idea why.
I cleared all the monsters all around the cave using the lighting spell with out CTD and then again I patch my copy of MM7 with a program call 4gb_patch. This program forces 32bit programs to use 4mega bites of memory. All 32bits programs use only 2mega bites. Use a search engine to find and down load this program. I hope it helps. You need to patch it to MM7.exe
David
Last edited by DaveHer on 10 Jun 2020, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 10 Jun 2020, 14:57

Ah! Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out.

Edit: Found a 4gb patch at Ntcore.com. I applied it to mm7.exe. I loaded a spare save at the area where the crashing occurred, and the CTDs persisted.

On the plus side, I was able to easily approach the Arbiter from the west instead of through the pass, so at least there's a workaround. I'll keep an eye out for other instances.
Last edited by lightbringer23 on 10 Jun 2020, 15:31, edited 2 times in total.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 13 Jul 2021, 12:04

Amazing mod, I had tons of fun playing it! One thing, everyone who is thinking about playing it make sure to install provided patch, because otherwise gargoyles will crash your game. Also, I removed the gold given at start with

Code: Select all

evt.Sub("Gold", 29000)
because monster drops and expert merchant 6 to everyone already make gold management easy (I could comment out the gold addition in script files, but wasn't sure if I wanted to play with it).

Also a small bug, because of raised height in Tularean Forest town portal from Erathia puts you under the settlement and you fall (but thankfully take no damage).
And another bug, if you cancel out of BDJ's dialog, you don't get the gold and exp.
Last edited by Eksekk on 13 Jul 2021, 13:18, edited 2 times in total.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 15 Jul 2021, 02:02

Eksekk wrote:Amazing mod, I had tons of fun playing it! One thing, everyone who is thinking about playing it make sure to install provided patch, because otherwise gargoyles will crash your game. Also, I removed the gold given at start with

Code: Select all

evt.Sub("Gold", 29000)
because monster drops and expert merchant 6 to everyone already make gold management easy (I could comment out the gold addition in script files, but wasn't sure if I wanted to play with it).

Also a small bug, because of raised height in Tularean Forest town portal from Erathia puts you under the settlement and you fall (but thankfully take no damage).
And another bug, if you cancel out of BDJ's dialog, you don't get the gold and exp.
Thank You for the compliment. Yes you are right about the 29000 Gold at the beginning. About the bug in Tularean Forest, I left it like that to give the player a little shock. It shock me when I was testing it. Thought I was going to be splatted all over the place. :D David

grimcreaper
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby grimcreaper » 24 Dec 2021, 08:44

Not sure if im missing something, but ive been trying to do some of the promotion quests and the only response from the quest givers is "No promotions during the Festival of the Five Moons, come back after the holidays"

I just got the Dwarves to fix up my castle and really want to get Fly on my mage, but im locked to the starting classes it seems.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 26 Dec 2021, 09:18

grimcreaper wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 08:44 Not sure if im missing something, but ive been trying to do some of the promotion quests and the only response from the quest givers is "No promotions during the Festival of the Five Moons, come back after the holidays"

I just got the Dwarves to fix up my castle and really want to get Fly on my mage, but im locked to the starting classes it seems.

You must do the all quests given by the courier guild in Erathia.

Karol
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Karol » 15 Feb 2022, 12:19

I have used GF Patch 2.5.6 instead of the embedded one.
Could this have caused following problem?
I got the Emerald Isle Portal Key from the Dwarven King in Stone City, but his key is not working with the well in Harmondale (all other keys do work).
I can't get to Evernmorn Isle, without giving the map to the Priest Quest giver.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 15 Feb 2022, 12:53

IIRC the Emerald Isle key is not for the well, it activates
Spoiler:

Karol
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Karol » 15 Feb 2022, 21:17

Tomsod wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 12:53 IIRC the Emerald Isle key is not for the well, it activates
Spoiler:
Holy puck, I totally missed that one little detail... FFS!
Thank you

Karol
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Karol » 16 Mar 2022, 20:17

1) BTW, who in the games tells you how to use the Emerald Isle key?
Dwarven King mentions a women in Harmondale, but she only generally describes the usage (that does somehow suffice for the well), and then the guild. The guild master gives you 4 quests, and at the end just mentions, that she is interested in Evernmorn Island key (for 10K gold), but I missed who informs the player about the true way of using it...

2) Is there a way to revert NPC few 'steps' back?
School of Magic in Bracada : 2nd promotion "but only if you go there right now" ... but as I clicked the dialogue option, the quest gone void. I even lost my autosave, because I quickly left the school, hoping that I will be teleported to the quest dungeon. Of course it was a flop.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 19 Mar 2022, 18:59

Karol wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 20:17 1) BTW, who in the games tells you how to use the Emerald Isle key?
Dwarven King mentions a women in Harmondale, but she only generally describes the usage (that does somehow suffice for the well), and then the guild. The guild master gives you 4 quests, and at the end just mentions, that she is interested in Evernmorn Island key (for 10K gold), but I missed who informs the player about the true way of using it...

2) Is there a way to revert NPC few 'steps' back?
School of Magic in Bracada : 2nd promotion "but only if you go there right now" ... but as I clicked the dialogue option, the quest gone void. I even lost my autosave, because I quickly left the school, hoping that I will be teleported to the quest dungeon. Of course it was a flop.
The Dwarven King should have told you where to use the key. You must have the key in the inventory of the first party player. Then go to Bracada desert. Right next to the stables is the teleporter plate form. Step on it and it will take you to Emerald Island.
David :-D

Karol
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Karol » 20 Mar 2022, 22:28

Thank you for your reply.

The Dwarven King is not informative on 'how to use the key', part at all:

And the Harmondale girl tells you how to use the key, only if you have selected PC with the said key in inventory (these kind of peculiar features are specific for this mod)

So if you speak with her and your hero has the Emerald Island Key in inventory : you get the right hint / information:
https://ibb.co/3rvc0mT
https://ibb.co/HDmR3Kh

With the bad luck and stupid coincidence, I never spoke with her, while having the key in the inventory of my active PC.
So I had to learn how to use the key here on this forum :(
Just much later, after I play through this mod for 2nd time, I realized, I get totally different (and helpful) advice from her, when I have the right dude (dudess) selected...

And now I got the "Siege of Barrow Downs/Stone City", in less than a week I cleared the map and entered Stone City, but the King won't recognize the completion and no reward is given (I have the quest in my quest book, but he ignores me fully) And now I can't guess if it has to do with selecting the correct party member, as this quest is not item related.

Well, yet another quest will fall through.

EDIT:
Could not find the triggering event for Stone City siege. So I rather decided to load much older quick save.
The quest was not half bad. And I also learned, why I was not able to finish it the first time: As the city was locked, I town portaled to Nighon, and traveled from there into Stone City... which somehow broke the whole event setup and also removed "the gate is locked" from Barrow Downs to Stone City (as soon all spiders and ghosts are gone, it is at the locked gate, where you get the reward and also next follow-up quest)

And the follow up quest was also something I had to properly prepare for (also due short time limit)

I think the reason I was not able to find the starting even for the Stone City Siege, is that it is 'owned' by a "messenger", and not by the Dwarven King himself.
https://ibb.co/TM8QpnQ
https://ibb.co/XYb56sJ

But the 'keep your friends alive' battle was quite a pinnacle. Compared to the previous quests / battles, I sensed huge jump up in difficulty. And there are still some battles + quests ahead of me. (I am also confused in where to find blaster trainers, I thought they should be in Celeste...and Black Magic GM - The castle in the Pit has the throne room locked... so I hope the trainer is to be found somewhere else)
I really believe that GM blaster + Soul Drinker will be the tools to make the fights somehow more manageable.

Karol
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Karol » 22 Mar 2022, 07:43

Finally finished the mod (after many attempts)
As for the visuals - I liked them and were quite the positive ad-on to the MM7 world. The sole downside was reduced visibility of outside world (huge treed, flowers...). Which was somehow mitigated with higher tree trunks, so while walking, the sight-view altitude was not on the level of tree crown, so I could spot enemies and keep visibility of my surroundings (during winter it was the best ). Some trees (mostly in Barrow Downs or Evernmorn Island) were visually 'thin' but did pose a real obstacle for projectiles (which can turn dangerous, while using the 'explosive' bows).
Still, the whole visual overhaul was more than welcomed.

As for the mod itself, despite I was aware that it was never really finished (polished) I was shocked about how many times my best effort can go south without a warning and without a corrective ways to fix it.
To anyone who is playing or is planning to play this mod: make as many saves (try not to overwrite) as possible (maybe change the # of quicksaves from 3 to 300?)
The same applies for the difficulty. Despite you can find relics right on the starting island, there never will be real advantage. Later the Paladin quest directs you to the legendary panoply, but that also won't give your real battle power against the hordes of enemies.
Somewhere mid-game it turns a bit more manageable. As it turns out as quite 'easy' (more like doable, than easy, tho) to clean all the basic locations (Tatalia, Avlee, Enroth, Tularean forest, Harmondale, Bracada Desert) and most of the dungeons on these maps. This will solve the economical part of RPG struggles, and partially also the level-up (not only XP, but this mod is generous on horse shoes and occasionally black potions)
But how the difficulty was generally tuned up, is also visible in the aspect of stats: While in the original game, barrels were giving +2 to respective stat, here you get awarded with +5 bonus, and yet you will struggle to keep up with most battle challenges round the game.
Resistance cauldrons are granting you even more, +10 per use, but enemy attacks still could get my weaker members unconscious. (if I played it stupid, then even dead)

Here I had the feeling, that enemies somehow prefer targeting the one hero, with the highest Armor Class. (which is good, IMO)
Despite this mod has no bolstering (at least I don't think it does), I never felt that fighting same areas again is extremely easier.

While in MMMerge, I sometimes edit the MAPSTATS.TXT to double or triple the # of generated enemies for more fun, I never had the slightest desire to do so in Rev4modR1

Which is why I considered this mod quite hard, when the new/modded quests were not very well versed and tested, and I often failed due a detail that caused the whole quest to fail (and with it usually the subsequent set of quests)

At the end, I got the blasters and even found the trainers for this skill (I could not first find them, as I was teleporting to The Pit, but it was needed to enter Pit normally, before the houses got populated with the trainers). I was missing Dark Magic GM, Souldrinker is quite neat.

Some quests really are bound to be replayed (like: get me a potion from Avlee and return with it in Barrow Downs in less than 2 days...)
Some were neat and cute (get me an apple...or the beauty elixir)

Sometimes I got fooled. The Gauntlet looked like the game finally won't be punishing me with extreme battle difficulties (as the elementals were manageable), but then the difficulty escalated quickly once again just before the final showdown.

I must admit, that it was the general difficulty that made me to play the game and be even anxious to play it. But as for the main story line (built on the set of quests), I would not be able to complete it, without reaching out to this forum and sometimes even using Extension scripts.

I also got stuck in between objects (mostly in the new housings, where narrow spaces were crated between the new city walls and individual houses, so I got stuck in Nighon, Barrow Downs, Pierpont... and the reduced visibility due the flowers/ flora did not help with navigation either)
Yet again - apart loading a save game, I had to use ALT + F1 to unstuck myself (especially as Town Portal just like Lloyd's Beacon are banned for most part of the game)

Maybe I am not actually finished, or I missed something, but the game did not require me to enter the underwater space ship (Lincoln?) and also not the Lands of Titans (Eofol?) ..

Side note: I wish, there could be different buttons for ranged / melee (I often killed my own party by shooting at short distance with explosive bows)

Ad endum: considering, how deep hiatus I just have after finishing this mod... generally the mod is freaking good. Crazy, but dangerously playable.

Return to “Might and Magic”