MM7Rev4modR1 Redone

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

DaveHer
Assassin
Assassin

Re: MM7Rev4modR1 Redone

Postby DaveHer » Jun 8 2020, 10:39

cthscr wrote:
DaveHer wrote:If you want to move the image to the left, you need to add columns of pixels (blue) on the right side

Don't you need to remove the exact amount from the left side?

You may be right. I made some new helmets for MM7 and had to position them using that technique, but I didn't have to subtract from the other side. However, armor is bigger and you may have to subtract from the other side.
David

lightbringer23
Peasant
Peasant

Postby lightbringer23 » Jun 8 2020, 20:46

That would make sense. I was wondering how the position of the box within the paper doll was determined. If it's a fixed positioning, then you have a fixed area within which to move the image. That's the part of the problem -- at least with the Plain Clothes (probably others, too). There's no more room on the left side to subtract.

@Daveher if you can find a quick and easy way to solve with Corel Draw, then that sounds great. In the meantime, I'll try and see if I can reshape with Gimp, like I did last night. I saw someone in another thread talk about converting to PNG for their manipulation, then converting back to BMP when finished. I wonder if doing so might remove the blue outline. I bet it's from some kind of distortion or corruption from the warping process.

lightbringer23
Peasant
Peasant

Postby lightbringer23 » Jun 8 2020, 22:28

I played with Gimp a little more, messing with Layers and Transparencies, getting in way over my head, and discovered that the armors really are shaped just right. I was moving the armor as a layer on top of a paper doll, trying (and failing) to figure out how to get Gimp to remove the blue background, when I saw that the shapes matched perfectly when aligned correctly.

There's no shaping mismatch, it's just displaced by 7 pixels to the right. If the entire image block were to be moved 7 pixels to the left, it would line up perfectly. As there's no room on the left side of the image block, the whole block would have to be moved. That sounds like a MM7 thing, not a Gimp or Corel thing -- unless I'm completely mistaken, which is quite possible.

lightbringer23
Peasant
Peasant

Postby lightbringer23 » Jun 8 2020, 22:52

Great news! I figured out how to get Gimp to simply move the image over within the background. It was the "Fit Layer to Image" option. There still isn't room to move the image to the left, but I figure a little missing leg or shoulder strap is a small price to pay for the rest of it mostly fitting. Behold the workaround:

Edit: Hmm.. Don't know why I'm not seeing imbedded images. Here's the link.
https://imgur.com/oCli7Ju
Last edited by lightbringer23 on Jun 8 2020, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

DaveHer
Assassin
Assassin

Postby DaveHer » Jun 8 2020, 23:20

lightbringer23 wrote:Edit: Hmm.. Don't know why I'm not seeing imbedded images. Here's the link.
https://imgur.com/oCli7Ju

That doesn't look bad at all. Good work. :tsup:
David

lightbringer23
Peasant
Peasant

Postby lightbringer23 » Jun 8 2020, 23:30

Thanks! It was essentially a 3 step process in Gimp. Move image 7 pixels over, Layer>Layer to Image Size, Export. Took just a few minutes to do the female versions of all the armors. Now time to go and enjoy the game and your mod :D

Edit: Turns out, just a couple armors had no room to the left. Most did. Regardless, a little shaved off a leg or shoulder is almost unnoticeable.
Last edited by lightbringer23 on Jun 8 2020, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

lightbringer23
Peasant
Peasant

Postby lightbringer23 » Jun 10 2020, 7:38

Got a couple of bugs to report, both involving CTDs -- one minor and one more significant.
The minor:
As part of the "Find a Herondale's Lost Shield" quest in Harmondale, there's an NPC who wants amulets in exchange for plate armor. Before you get told to seek plate armor, that part of that NPCs dialogue says "White Barrel" and causes a crash when I click on it. After I received the quest step to acquire guardian plate, the correct text appeared on that NPC and all was well.

The not-so-minor:
This may be that "too many monsters" CTD appearing in Harmondale. I did summon Grognard's army via the signal fires before I had killed more than a handful of other goblins on the map, thereby increasing the monster count. I cleared almost the whole map -- picking up the corpses as I went -- except for the mountain pass behind the caves on the way to the Arbiter.

The last group of goblins before the arbiter kept causing CTDs. I don't think it was tied directly to summoning, though there were certainly Chiefs who summoned. It seemed tied to the group of enemies. If I booked it out of there without fighting them at all, I could avoid a crash. If I tried to run through to the Arbiter, I would end up crashing. If I lured the goblins away from that part of the pass -- further back, or toward the Arbiter's lake -- I would end up crashing. It seemed that the longer I was in combat with them, the greater the likelihood of a crash. I duplicated this many times. Some crashes occurred without me attacking or spellcasting at all.

I was able to continue on with the game by just leaving them alone. I'm hoping that if I approach the Arbiter from a different direction, I won't trigger the issue later on.

Otherwise, good fun so far.

DaveHer
Assassin
Assassin

Postby DaveHer » Jun 10 2020, 11:29

lightbringer23 wrote:Got a couple of bugs to report, both involving CTDs -- one minor and one more significant.
The minor:
As part of the "Find a Herondale's Lost Shield" quest in Harmondale, there's an NPC who wants amulets in exchange for plate armor. Before you get told to seek plate armor, that part of that NPCs dialogue says "White Barrel" and causes a crash when I click on it. After I received the quest step to acquire guardian plate, the correct text appeared on that NPC and all was well.

The not-so-minor:
This may be that "too many monsters" CTD appearing in Harmondale. I did summon Grognard's army via the signal fires before I had killed more than a handful of other goblins on the map, thereby increasing the monster count. I cleared almost the whole map -- picking up the corpses as I went -- except for the mountain pass behind the caves on the way to the Arbiter.

The last group of goblins before the arbiter kept causing CTDs. I don't think it was tied directly to summoning, though there were certainly Chiefs who summoned. It seemed tied to the group of enemies. If I booked it out of there without fighting them at all, I could avoid a crash. If I tried to run through to the Arbiter, I would end up crashing. If I lured the goblins away from that part of the pass -- further back, or toward the Arbiter's lake -- I would end up crashing. It seemed that the longer I was in combat with them, the greater the likelihood of a crash. I duplicated this many times. Some crashes occurred without me attacking or spellcasting at all.

I was able to continue on with the game by just leaving them alone. I'm hoping that if I approach the Arbiter from a different direction, I won't trigger the issue later on.

Otherwise, good fun so far.

Do not click on those topics. "Barrels". The game is not set up to show those topics and yet they show up anyway. I have no idea why.
I cleared all the monsters all around the cave using the lighting spell with out CTD and then again I patch my copy of MM7 with a program call 4gb_patch. This program forces 32bit programs to use 4mega bites of memory. All 32bits programs use only 2mega bites. Use a search engine to find and down load this program. I hope it helps. You need to patch it to MM7.exe
David
Last edited by DaveHer on Jun 10 2020, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

lightbringer23
Peasant
Peasant

Postby lightbringer23 » Jun 10 2020, 14:57

Ah! Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out.

Edit: Found a 4gb patch at Ntcore.com. I applied it to mm7.exe. I loaded a spare save at the area where the crashing occurred, and the CTDs persisted.

On the plus side, I was able to easily approach the Arbiter from the west instead of through the pass, so at least there's a workaround. I'll keep an eye out for other instances.
Last edited by lightbringer23 on Jun 10 2020, 15:31, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”