MMche editors on Win8 64bit (SOLVED)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Erisian
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MMche editors on Win8 64bit (SOLVED)

Unread postby Erisian » 15 Mar 2019, 09:29

I recently started playing again after a number of years but operating systems have moved on from then. I've managed to get MM8 and MM7 to play but now I want to use an editor. I tried adding a ring to my game using MM7che into my paladins inventory but it didn't appear in the game. It did however appear when I opened party.bin in MM7view. It seems odd that it is saving in the right file but not appearing in the game. My computer is 64bit with Windows8. Is anybody else aware of this problem?
Last edited by Erisian on 16 Mar 2019, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

Erisian
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: MMche editors on Win8 64bit

Unread postby Erisian » 16 Mar 2019, 16:44

I have it solved. The games are now saved in a hidden folder and changing the saves file in program files doesn't do anything. As the editor can't fnd the folder, I found it using a search, copied the save file and pasted it over the other one. I hope this makes sense. The hidden folder is "app data" and is somewhere in user-your name. The full path to the file is C:\Users\<your_account>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\3DO\mm7\saves.

Erisian
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: MMche editors on Win8 64bit (SOLVED)

Unread postby Erisian » 20 Mar 2019, 07:53

In case anybody else has this problem, the editors are opening saves from program files but saving them in app data. You have to make app data visible first then copy the save file from C:\Users\<your_account>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\3DO\mm7\saves and paste into your 3DO saves folder in program files.

If you want to change something else later, you first have to delete the save file in app data before rerunning the editor because the editor won't save over it for some reason.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end"
(Ursula K Le Guin)

Erisian
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: MMche editors on Win8 64bit (SOLVED)

Unread postby Erisian » 03 Apr 2019, 12:04

Discovered that MM6che works as normal, it's just 7 and 8 that you need to work around.
Last edited by Erisian on 03 Apr 2019, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end"
(Ursula K Le Guin)

Return to “Might and Magic”