I hope one day MM will get something similar to OpenMW or Daggerfall Unity

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
michal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

I hope one day MM will get something similar to OpenMW or Daggerfall Unity

Unread postby michal » 16 Feb 2019, 09:02

Hello,

Check out those projects:
https://www.dfworkshop.net/
http://openmw.org/en/

Those projects are (from scratch) engine reimplementations for Daggerfall and Morrowind. Both projects are playable, allows modding etc. Those projects depends on original game data, so it requires less work (no need for remaking assets).

I hope some day someone will make something similar for MM6-8. This could allow many cool things like:
  • support for any resolution
  • support for new operating systems
  • texture replacements
  • models replacements
  • modding
  • etc
There is one project (which i know about) for MM8, but sadly looks like it's dead now:
https://github.com/pjasicek/OpenMM8

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Re: I hope one day MM will get something similar to OpenMW or Daggerfall Unity

Unread postby Tress » 19 Feb 2019, 09:00

Pretty sure there is few project like that. If you check this forum, there is pinned thread with "total remake" which basically is just that, think last commit was just a couple month ago so its not complitelly dead yet.
Of course MM community(specially modding) is barely a faction of what TES have, so its hard to expect project that is on same sclae as one for Daggerfall. If we see effort put into Skyrim mods, and even fraction of that would be put into MM games , we would be with at least several MM fan games by now, specially considering MM world size is fraction of what any TES game is.

Neecko
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Neecko » 22 Mar 2019, 14:02

Openmm8 isn't quite dead. Just REALLY slow. The code base is really great though. I'm working off of it myself.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 23 Mar 2019, 10:06

Neecko wrote:Openmm8 isn't quite dead. Just REALLY slow. The code base is really great though. I'm working off of it myself.
ANOTHER MM project noone knows about! How did you find it? On Polish forums?
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Neecko
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Neecko » 24 Mar 2019, 04:04

GrayFace wrote:
Neecko wrote:Openmm8 isn't quite dead. Just REALLY slow. The code base is really great though. I'm working off of it myself.
ANOTHER MM project noone knows about! How did you find it? On Polish forums?
lol he posted here awhile ago. He thanks you a lot for the work you've done too.

edit: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 46#p372346
Last edited by Neecko on 24 Mar 2019, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 24 Mar 2019, 21:00

Neecko wrote:
GrayFace wrote:lol he posted here awhile ago. He thanks you a lot for the work you've done too.

Oops, my bad. Didn't pay attention. YouTube videos look way cooler than the screenshots.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Neecko
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Neecko » 25 Mar 2019, 04:57

GrayFace wrote:
Neecko wrote:
GrayFace wrote:lol he posted here awhile ago. He thanks you a lot for the work you've done too.

Oops, my bad. Didn't pay attention. YouTube videos look way cooler than the screenshots.
Yeah I've been digging into the code the last few days. Some of it's a little sloppy, but overall it's a really great start. If you have any other questions about it let me know.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 29 Mar 2019, 11:18

Tress wrote:Pretty sure there is few project like that. If you check this forum, there is pinned thread with "total remake" which basically is just that, think last commit was just a couple month ago so its not complitelly dead yet.
Of course MM community(specially modding) is barely a faction of what TES have, so its hard to expect project that is on same sclae as one for Daggerfall. If we see effort put into Skyrim mods, and even fraction of that would be put into MM games , we would be with at least several MM fan games by now, specially considering MM world size is fraction of what any TES game is.
Most fizzle out though, as far as ive seen over all these years.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Neecko
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Neecko » 31 Mar 2019, 23:35

I think a lot of people don't realize what a big undertaking it's going to be when they first start. It's also pretty niche so it may not be a commercial success either.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 01 Apr 2019, 06:53

Dont think any game with "open" in the name and such remakes are ever made with being "commercial success " in mind. All those games are fans making stuff for other fans. Unfortunately TES player base is bigger, and have better tools to have better creativity.

Return to “Might and Magic”