mm6 my best parties (Over 20 years of experience)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Gallimar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

mm6 my best parties (Over 20 years of experience)

Unread postby Gallimar » 16 Jan 2019, 02:45

Hello everyone, ive been reading alot of posts on many forums and i have to say im quite baffled about how much people miss in a party formation (Powergaming wise).

Anyways i wont go into much detail but instead post what and why the best formations i know are.
Note that this is and has always been my favourite game thoughout alltime and i even held the highest highscore on the 3do site before it was closed down. Not that the highscore part has any significant meaning... Just a hint to let people know i know what im talking about here =).

So for the parties:

Knight Knight Druid Knight is by far my favourite melee party since it breezes through the game as it was nothing (for a melee party that is). Im well aware of the lack of Light magic but in all honesty... Just give the druid all the horseshoes, then boost your magic skills accordingly:

Fire magic up to 12 (Haste).
Water magic up to 12 (Lloyds/Portal).
Air magic 4 (Can master at 4 for Fly/Shield spell)
Body magic 4 (Master isnt needed)
Spirit magic 20+ for (heroism/bless/Shared life)
Leave earth/mind magics at 1.......

Just keep boosting spirit as mush as u can when you are satisfied with your other druid skills.
Heroism and bless is really all you need aside from haste and shield (Just donate at some church to get Day of protection)
Also i cannot stress enough how good Shared life spell is when you have knights in your party (they reach 800+ hp)
I cleared the entire tomb of varn just running around slaughtering everything that came against me. I only had to Lloyds back to town twice during the entire dungeon, and it was a fast and fun run through the tomb
With this party you have all the convinient travel spells, a group who fucking wrecks dungeons.
Also one last final note that really makes me speechless everytime i read it.... Spear/Sword combo?! Are you guys fucking serious?! 99% of the community thinks this is the way to go....... Well all i can say is: Fuck that.

Now this is what you do for a melee party: Axe/Dagger combo (Darkness axe with an elemental dagger)
Once you get axe skill around 20+ you will hit the recovery cap of 30, if you also find a "Helmet of recovery" Your recovery time goes down to 27...
Also a side note: Dont forget to give your druid Morgan/Igraine and other rings that boosts spirit/fire magic
I will let you guys figure out the rest for yourselfes when it comes to this party.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Next is the magic party:
And yes ive tested them all (DDDS/SSSC/SCSC/SSSS)
However... there is one major thing "Again" that people tend to agree on but are totally wrong about... Dark magic?? Yes dark magic does have some heavy damage spells... But you will have to Lloyd back to a church all the time and it isnt "Really" that good honestly. One spell school that ppl forget (when it comes to having a skill of 25+)
Is air magic (Water works aswell with acid/Ice bolt)
Once you get air magic up to 15+ (Just keep pumping it above even) and with a ring of "Air magic" wich boosts your magic skill by 50% (skill lvl 20 becomes 30 etc etc, skill lvl 30 becomes 45)
Your lightning bolt will hurt alooooot. And if someone is immune to air then.... Implosion deals physical damage (Water magic deals ice and poison dmg)
Lighting bolt at lvl 40+ is very very mana efficient. You basically do this the entire game:
Small space dungeons: Sparks
Big space dungeons: Lightning/Implosion
Grinding outddoor: Starburst

The magic party is much easyer and shorter to explain. Just pump one magic skill up all you can and get rings or amulets of that spellschool (Artifacts stack with normal rings btw but there is only Morgan for elemental and Guinivere for Light/Dark)
And as i said with the last party. The rest is for you to figure out
Last edited by Gallimar on 16 Jan 2019, 03:00, edited 2 times in total.

Gallimar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: mm6 my best parties (Over 20 years of experience)

Unread postby Gallimar » 01 May 2019, 07:57

Bump

Roticet
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roticet » 16 Jun 2019, 12:12

Gallimar wrote:Hello everyone, ive been reading alot of posts on many forums and i have to say im quite baffled about how much people miss in a party formation (Powergaming wise).

Anyways i wont go into much detail but instead post what and why the best formations i know are.
Note that this is and has always been my favourite game thoughout alltime and i even held the highest highscore on the 3do site before it was closed down. Not that the highscore part has any significant meaning... Just a hint to let people know i know what im talking about here =).

So for the parties:

Knight Knight Druid Knight is by far my favourite melee party since it breezes through the game as it was nothing (for a melee party that is). Im well aware of the lack of Light magic but in all honesty... Just give the druid all the horseshoes, then boost your magic skills accordingly:

Fire magic up to 12 (Haste).
Water magic up to 12 (Lloyds/Portal).
Air magic 4 (Can master at 4 for Fly/Shield spell)
Body magic 4 (Master isnt needed)
Spirit magic 20+ for (heroism/bless/Shared life)
Leave earth/mind magics at 1.......

Just keep boosting spirit as mush as u can when you are satisfied with your other druid skills.
Heroism and bless is really all you need aside from haste and shield (Just donate at some church to get Day of protection)
Also i cannot stress enough how good Shared life spell is when you have knights in your party (they reach 800+ hp)
I cleared the entire tomb of varn just running around slaughtering everything that came against me. I only had to Lloyds back to town twice during the entire dungeon, and it was a fast and fun run through the tomb
With this party you have all the convinient travel spells, a group who **** wrecks dungeons.
Also one last final note that really makes me speechless everytime i read it.... Spear/Sword combo?! Are you guys **** serious?! 99% of the community thinks this is the way to go....... Well all i can say is: **** that.

Now this is what you do for a melee party: Axe/Dagger combo (Darkness axe with an elemental dagger)
Once you get axe skill around 20+ you will hit the recovery cap of 30, if you also find a "Helmet of recovery" Your recovery time goes down to 27...
Also a side note: Dont forget to give your druid Morgan/Igraine and other rings that boosts spirit/fire magic
I will let you guys figure out the rest for yourselfes when it comes to this party.
Next is the magic party:
And yes ive tested them all (DDDS/SSSC/SCSC/SSSS)
However... there is one major thing "Again" that people tend to agree on but are totally wrong about... Dark magic?? Yes dark magic does have some heavy damage spells... But you will have to Lloyd back to a church all the time and it isnt "Really" that good honestly. One spell school that ppl forget (when it comes to having a skill of 25+)
Is air magic (Water works aswell with acid/Ice bolt)
Once you get air magic up to 15+ (Just keep pumping it above even) and with a ring of "Air magic" wich boosts your magic skill by 50% (skill lvl 20 becomes 30 etc etc, skill lvl 30 becomes 45)
Your lightning bolt will hurt alooooot. And if someone is immune to air then.... Implosion deals physical damage (Water magic deals ice and poison dmg)
Lighting bolt at lvl 40+ is very very mana efficient. You basically do this the entire game:
Small space dungeons: Sparks
Big space dungeons: Lightning/Implosion
Grinding outddoor: Starburst

The magic party is much easyer and shorter to explain. Just pump one magic skill up all you can and get rings or amulets of that spellschool (Artifacts stack with normal rings btw but there is only Morgan for elemental and Guinivere for Light/Dark)
And as i said with the last party. The rest is for you to figure out

One problem, in Vanilla MM7, Implosion was bugged and didn't work. The more I think about it, the more I'm wondering if it was actually lightening bolt or starburst that was bugged in Vanilla, but I'm pretty sure it was implosion.

The reason that most of the community went Spear/Sword was because of the AC bonuses. I was guilty of that too for a long time. But then I figured out I get better damage and recovery with 2 swords, or a sword and another weapon besides spears. Usually depended on what artifacts I had towards end game, but I typically combined 2 artifact swords. Also, relatively recently, the mindset of using Spear/Sword has been kinda faltering and more and more people are beginning to see the wrongness of their heathen ways! :tongue:

Also, THANK YOU!!! for pointing out that Dark Magic, while strong, is more or less a mana dump. I always used lightening bolt and other elemental damaging spells over pretty much any dark magic. I would use Armageddon (because why not) and the dark enchant spell and that was pretty much it. That's also one of the reasons I almost always go Light for MM7. Too expensive for mana costs vs. damage, and no buff spells like Light gets (which I understand to an extent). I would even argue that Hour of Power should be accessible via both schools of magic.

EDIT: Wrote this while at work running off of 2 hours of sleep on a super busy day. For some reason I didn't grasp that this was for MM6. My point on Dark Magic still stands. And for weapons, still depended on what artifacts I had. And yeah, implosion is one of the highest damaging spells. The only ones that do more are the high end AOE's like Dragon Breath and Armageddon. And that's simply because those hit multiple creatures. Single target, implosion is one of the best if not the best. I used that spell ALL the time.
Last edited by Roticet on 16 Jun 2019, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 16 Jun 2019, 13:02

n/t
Last edited by Anubis on 16 Jun 2019, 21:27, edited 2 times in total.

Gallimar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gallimar » 05 Apr 2021, 18:06

I just recently found the MM community discord https://discord.gg/JuvqQmmx

Join it, its great!

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 09 Apr 2021, 11:43

Assuming that you use the Grayface patch, why Axe+Dagger, instead of Axe+Sword? The recovery time difference doesn't matter because it uses the recovery time of the axe in either case...

Other than that, I agree with Axe being better than spear/mace IF you don't have access to light magic. Without Day of the Gods, you would have to invest heavily in your weapon skill to reach the recovery time cap, so you might as well use an axe so that that investment also goes toward your damage.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Gallimar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gallimar » 24 Jun 2023, 05:34

The dagger or sword was an error of my part. Sword gives slightly more damage.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 24 Jun 2023, 08:44

In MM6 I'd say there's little reason to pick a Knight over a Paladin, since both can use any weapon or armor, but Paladins also heal. They basically trade 3 HP/level for 3 SP/level that can be always converted back to HP with more than 1:1 efficiency, so it's obviously better! Besides, if you combine Knights with spellcasters, Shared Life becomes inconvenient because of wildly different HP pools -- often all that Knight HP overflows the other PC's pool and some of it gets wasted.

Also if you must focus on a single magic school, I'd recommend Earth instead. AoE spells are very mana-efficient, and Rock Blast is the best as it's more powerful than Fireball, much cheaper than Dragon Breath, and is generally hard to resist as it deals Physical damage. And Mass Distortion is arguably the best single-target damage spell, as with high enough skill it instantly kills everyone who's not immune (sadly, a bunch of monsters are!) Blades suck, though, but between the former two spells you rarely need anything else.

Return to “Might and Magic”