I think I broke something....

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Vulsvang
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

I think I broke something....

Unread postby Vulsvang » 05 Dec 2018, 18:11

Alright, so I am having some troubles with grayface's patch for MM8, and not the non-full screen issue.

I now cannot even run the game after installing the patch.

Last time I installed the patch, everything was fine, except the resolution. The game would run, I could do all the things you can do in mm8.

But now.... after I install the patch, i get a D3D error. I cannot even START the game this time.

I have MM8 folder in two places, the GOG default and the one where I placed it, and mm6&7, for modding purposes.

I am installing the patch in my 'custom directory' as I did the last time I applied the patch.

I did not do anything different than the last time I tried installing the patch and it ran fine. I have absolutely no idea why this is happening. Installing a patch or a mod is not difficult but apparently I have failed somewhere when failure shouldn't even be an issue.

It's rather annoying. It worked before, i didn't like how it set my resolution to use only like half of my screen, so i just deleted it and moved on.

But today I decided I'd install the patch, JUST see if I could tweak anything WITHOUT breaking the game like it did last time I installed the patch and told the .ini file to set borderless mode to 0 or whatever, which resulted in a D3D error back then. But, I cannot even start the game after a clean install of the patch and not changing a darn thing.

Again, I have changed NOTHING after applying the patch. It is a clean install. It is getting installed in the correct folder. I am getting a D3D error when I attempt to start the game. I did not get this issue the last time I experimented with this patch. last time the game would run, no D3D error on start up, it just changed my resolution. It was only after I tried to tell it to not change my resolution i got a D3D error. Now I get a D3D error after a clean install.

There are no other mods or patches. It is just a copy of the official GOG mm8 folder. the only difference between a clean install of mm8 and my folder is the saved games. Could they somehow be causing this error? Could my computer just hate me and not want to change vanilla mm8? Will Ron and Hermione get a divorce?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: I think I broke something....

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Dec 2018, 21:38

Send me the ErrorLog.txt file from the game folder. Are you sure mm8.ini doesn't contain settings that resulted in crashes previously?
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Vulsvang
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vulsvang » 05 Dec 2018, 22:00

I'll send the errorlog sometime after dinner. roughly 2 hours from now.

as for the ini file.

Last time when I tried this patch, back when I was looking for not only a fix for stuttering dialouge, but to also get ALL the bling out of chests, I did not change anything. Like this time, I have changed nothing. Last time I changed nothing. The game ran. The resolution was not good (I cannot even supply a screenshot along with a photo of my monitor now that I cannot even load the game). I could still play the game fine though. Played through part of Dagger Wound before I could not stand the resolution anymore. THAT is when I touched the ini file, and that is when I got the D3D error orignally.

But this time, I can't even start the game. I have changed nothing. Touched nothing. I installed the patch, and clicked the exe. Gave D3D error.

EDIT: Also, thanks for not only a fast response, but for all of your work. I'd love to get mm8 to work with your patch so i can finally play mm8 semi-vanilla again before I attempt to do the Merge
Last edited by Vulsvang on 05 Dec 2018, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 06 Dec 2018, 18:17

Maybe the first time it just ran in Software mode.
I've experienced the same error on Win 10 machine. I'll try on my father's one to see if it's reproduced.
Hardware 3D runs fine in the regular game, right?
I heard of 2 possible solutions for this:
1) Setting compatibility of mm8.exe to Win 7 or 8. Setting compatibility of mm8setup.exe to Win XP, running it and selecting the Hardware 3D mode.
2) Installing DX8 and earlier runtime.
Vulsvang wrote:EDIT: Also, thanks for not only a fast response, but for all of your work.
The fast response is a happy accident :) Yesterday I though I'd visit the forum, after about a month of absence.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Vulsvang
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vulsvang » 06 Dec 2018, 21:40

well I guess since my gacha game luck was bad my overall internet luck was good. Silver linings.

I may have overlooked osmething in the readme or a forum post, but is this patch compatible with previous saves or must I start a new game?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 Dec 2018, 08:49

Sure they are. Indeed I should mention it in the readme.
Last edited by GrayFace on 08 Dec 2018, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”