MM8 Audio Problems (NOT music)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Vulsvang
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM8 Audio Problems (NOT music)

Unread postby Vulsvang » 12 Nov 2018, 18:46

Before I get to my question, I must iterate that this is NOT about the MUSIC files. The music files are not what this is about, the music is fine.

Also, all google-fu got me was a lot of information on fixing boats and fence posts. Useless for what I am after, but at least now I know how deep to dig a hole to put in a new fence post....

I am also using the gog vanilla version.

What I am coming here for deals with the audio of the Stables and Boat npcs. When interacting with them, after I click to travel somewhere the audio is all jumpy and skippy. Is there a way to fix this, without grayface's patch?

This audio glitch/bug also happens on mm6 and 7, and I just cannot suffer through it a third time. (I am replaying all games vanilla before patching)

I do not want to use grayface's patch because it causes an entirely different problem - I cannot change the resolution. Using his 'fix' by going under the ini file and changing the borderless option to 0 breaks the game. It will give a No D3D error. So, I cannot use greyface's patch to fix this audio bug (although except for the changing of my resolution the patch is solid).

I also do not want to play with the sound muted.

So, is there any way at all to fix the Stables and Boat npc dialogues without greyface patch? Easily anyways, if it takes modding to do, then I guess I am SoL and just have to suffer :tongue:

EDIT : Also, long time lurker. Nice community here.
Last edited by Vulsvang on 12 Nov 2018, 21:03, edited 3 times in total.

Vulsvang
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: MM8 Audio Problems (NOT music)

Unread postby Vulsvang » 16 Nov 2018, 04:55

Well, seeing as no one has answered I'm just going to assume it takes a bit of modding to fix the damn audio.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 16 Nov 2018, 08:34

I think that's how its always been, when voice line is given over loading. Dont think there is too much of a way to fix aside of fan made patches. Dont think that is that much of an issue though as you generally travel by those means maybe 10-20 times per play through.

vocab
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vocab » 18 Nov 2018, 10:11

Change the Windows compatibility to XP SP3/Windows 7. The gog versions by default use win 95 compat which only uses one core.
Last edited by vocab on 18 Nov 2018, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

Vulsvang
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vulsvang » 05 Dec 2018, 17:54

Tress wrote:I think that's how its always been, when voice line is given over loading. Dont think there is too much of a way to fix aside of fan made patches. Dont think that is that much of an issue though as you generally travel by those means maybe 10-20 times per play through.
yeah, i remember this happening once I upgraded to XP i do believe and though a little annoying, it's not a big issue.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 26 Aug 2020, 01:54

vocab wrote:Change the Windows compatibility to XP SP3/Windows 7. The gog versions by default use win 95 compat which only uses one core.
Thank you, it was all it took.. and I've spent like 2 hours trying to figure it out.

Ser Ironfist
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ser Ironfist » 13 Mar 2022, 21:29

Does anyone know why there are audio problems with monsters that were summoned by other monsters? It does not matter which ones, most of the time they are silent. But the weird thing is how it is not always the case. Sometimes it seems to work just fine. I just tried reloading multiple save files and in some instances it works and in others it does not. Changing compatibility did not change anything.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 13 Mar 2022, 22:36

I dunno about monsters in particular, but I had similar weird sound problems in my MM7 mod after moving wands into the missile weapon slot. Sometimes they'd shoot silently, sometimes there would be sound, and there was no apparent pattern to it. It turned out that sounds sometimes need to be 'preloaded' by a separate function, for each PC, before they can be played, and that function still thought the wands are supposed to be in the right hand, so the spell sounds were not preloaded properly, except if the PC has cast the same spell from the spellbook before (since last launching the program). So maybe (going out on a limb here) monster sounds also need to be preloaded, but the summoning code doesn't always do it properly? Or you broke it somehow. Try asking GrayFace, if it's a vanilla bug and it's reproducible, then it should interest him.

Return to “Might and Magic”