Optimal graphical settings?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Optimal graphical settings?

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Nov 2018, 13:55

I got the GOG version of MM6 and it runs brilliantly on my Win 8.1 (albeit requires Win XP SP3 compatibility mode). The framerate is silk smooth, ant alt-tabbing and coming back don't break anything.

But in my non-GOG MM7 and MM8 the framerate is somewhat clunky, and alt-tabbing leads to this:

All 3 games are Grayface'd and have the same compatibility mode set for them (Win XP SP3). Is there something I can do to replicate the effect I have in MM6? MM8 is the most essential, as it serves as the base for the merge.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Re: Optimal graphical settings?

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Nov 2018, 14:03

Lol nvm, works gorgeous with Grayface 2.1 :D

So the question for now: since the game runs best in borderless windowed mode - is it possible to alter the aspect ratio from the original 4:3 to 16:9 so that it stretches and covers the full screen at the standard 1920x1080 resolution?
Last edited by Xfing on 06 Nov 2018, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 12 Nov 2018, 18:33

Yes, I just need to release the new versions of patches, for which all I need to do is ReadMe files, so don't expect them any time soon :D I can send you WIP versions though.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Vulsvang
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vulsvang » 12 Nov 2018, 19:00

GrayFace wrote:Yes, I just need to release the new versions of patches, for which all I need to do is ReadMe files, so don't expect them any time soon :D I can send you WIP versions though.
I literally just opened a thread talking about the audio problems I am facing and that I cannot use your patch since it changes my resolution and I cannot change it (by setting the option to 0 in the ini file) because it causes a d3d error.

Knowing you're working on a higher resolution makes me feel a bit more hopeful for using the patch on mm8. on 6 and 7 it worked great, and even the resolution wasn't a henderance, but with 8, since my computer's resolution is 1600x900, any changes to the game's resolution causes everything to be stretched and thin/squished looking. I absolutely cannot stand that.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 12 Nov 2018, 23:07

GrayFace wrote:Yes, I just need to release the new versions of patches, for which all I need to do is ReadMe files, so don't expect them any time soon :D I can send you WIP versions though.
Sure, I'd happily take all three, especially if the readme is the only thing that you still need to do :D

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 13 Nov 2018, 20:32

Vulsvang wrote:Knowing you're working on a higher resolution makes me feel a bit more hopeful for using the patch on mm8.
I've already done it in version 2.1. Xfing wants the opposite effect of having the game stretch to fill the whole screen.
Last edited by GrayFace on 13 Nov 2018, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Vulsvang
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vulsvang » 14 Nov 2018, 02:52

GrayFace wrote:
Vulsvang wrote:Knowing you're working on a higher resolution makes me feel a bit more hopeful for using the patch on mm8.
I've already done it in version 2.1. Xfing wants the opposite effect of having the game stretch to fill the whole screen.

That's what I am wanting as well, other than a possible simple fix to the dang Stables and Boats dialogues being choppy (without requiring a patch that re-balances everything and changes my resolution).

under the regular patch, it changes my resolution, and everything is squished. It cannot be changed. I try to change it, and I get a d3d error. So I cannot use the patch with mm8

the patches for mm6 and 7 work fine, but when it comes to 8, i simply have to settle for playing vanilla style.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 14 Nov 2018, 15:06

GrayFace wrote:
Not really opposite, because I'd still fancy it being high-res and in borderless windowed mode at the same time :D

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 04 Dec 2018, 12:46

Vulsvang wrote:possible simple fix to the dang Stables and Boats dialogues being choppy
What do you mean? Try removing compatibility mode on the EXE or setting it to Win 7 or 8. I heard Gog sets it to Win 95 and that causes music to stutter in these dialogs.

Return to “Might and Magic”