MM8 Chatter

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

MM8 Chatter

Unread postby GrayFace » 13 Sep 2018, 09:01

Continuing from https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 00#p372679
Templayer wrote:Actually no. It's due to their skills. I've played the game (MM8) multiple times and the Dark Elf was a mainstay in most of my runs.
They are basically a combination of an Archer and a Thief, while getting the best of everything they can. Disarm traps. GM bow. GM chainmail. Master arcane magic. Great melee skills. Trading. And a quite few more things to a lesser degree, and some more etc. skills. Also they have a magical "school" dedicated to them.
Skill-wise, it's just way too convenient. Way too much. They are like two and a half member of a party from one of the previous games.
Melee skills are good up to some point, but very bad on high levels - not even a single skill with damage bonus.
You got me thinking of doing a Dark Elf solo run. I already I tried, but dropped. Melee felt too weak even halfway through due to no vampiric sword artifacts and not that much HP. Bow was a cheat. These 2 facts combined made me uninterested in continuing. Now I'm thinking of focusing on Poison Spray and seeing how it plays out.
Last edited by GrayFace on 13 Sep 2018, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

NotABroom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: MM8 Chatter

Unread postby NotABroom » 13 Sep 2018, 14:11

Dark elves can deal quite a bit of dmg with 2 swords equipped, but they get nowhere near a knight with armsmaster or a vampire with really high dagger skill (20+).
Dark elves are nice for lazy people like me who don't like casting torch light and magic eye seperatley. Not so much use if you want a really really tough party. Then again I usually stick with one as well, since you can get Cauri very early on whilst she is 10 times tougher than the rest of your party at that point.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 13 Sep 2018, 16:17

NotABroom wrote:Dark elves can deal quite a bit of dmg with 2 swords equipped, but they get nowhere near a knight with armsmaster or a vampire with really high dagger skill (20+).
Dark elves are nice for lazy people like me who don't like casting torch light and magic eye seperatley. Not so much use if you want a really really tough party. Then again I usually stick with one as well, since you can get Cauri very early on whilst she is 10 times tougher than the rest of your party at that point.
Yes, they deal less damage than Knights and Vampires, but not by that much (MASTER SWORD!), the main thing is their other specialities. Can Knights/Vampires do that much damage with a bow? What about Magic? Disarming? Trading?

Yes, I have said that they were like two and a half party members from the previous games, but I didn't mean as melee characters!
It's ALL the other parts of them that are somewhat insanely packed into a single character. The quite decent melee potential is only a cherry on top of that.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 14 Sep 2018, 02:01

GM Chain helps mitigate a Dark Elf's lack of toughness.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 14 Sep 2018, 16:34

Bandobras Took wrote:GM Chain helps mitigate a Dark Elf's lack of toughness.
That is like the ONE thing on a Dark Elf that I am fine with! :D

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 02 Oct 2018, 22:11

I've finished a Dark Elf solo run. He was fine. Damage output from Poison Spray was very decent, but I had to go to the temple a lot.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 03 Oct 2018, 15:31

GrayFace wrote:I've finished a Dark Elf solo run. He was fine. Damage output from Poison Spray was very decent, but I had to go to the temple a lot.
Try a MM7 Zombie Paladin Solo run. :d

garyd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby garyd » 30 Jul 2019, 19:09

Just a few comments first my current DE solo is level 76, getting ready to take out the skeleton Transformer. MOstly going to level up the forced cleric so he doesn't get killed. Lack of hit points isn't a problem if you take full advantage of rock blast. NOthing like being able to shoot around corners. Lvl 15 earth magic. The best ranged weapon I've found so far is a caravaners crossbow 4d2 +6 or 7 however casting fire arrow on it makes it four d2 plus 3d6 plus 21 or 22 Level 15 bow skill +6 or 7 You have no earthly reason to get up close and personal with stuff, like cyclopes, can take you out with a couple of hits stone skin helps so can shield but not usually enough to matter even at master level.

Return to “Might and Magic”