New Sorpigal Unreal Engine 4

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
d4rk3lf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: New Sorpigal Unreal Engine 4

Unread postby d4rk3lf » 28 Apr 2019, 21:41

Prince_of_Thieves wrote: If youn don’t mind, i’m making series of posts about your projects in russian community (more than 3k fans) and other social networks, dedicated to might and magic (facebook page @love.enroth).
Well, I am from Serbia.
How could I matter anything related to mother Russia? :)
Of course not mate, and anyone can share anything what wants.
This is a totally free fun project.
random_content wrote: Is Autodesk required (is there a proprietary lock?) to unpack and do 3D/CAD conversion? Does Unreal or any/every other CAD program have this functionality?
There's no any lock (as I know), the only thing is... why would I export you you CAD flie, that you will export to FBX or DataSmith to load to Unreal, if I can export you (fbx or datasmith) straight, that you can load into Unreal? :)
Actually, I am planning to export all my Unreal project files, so anyone can look on them.
It's just, they are 12 GB (so far) , and upload will be long.. and if someone can get me free ftp space, I?ll gladly upload the whole project.
lapislosh wrote:Hey, just wanted to chime in.
Not sure what the status of this project is currently
Hey mate!
You did AMAZING job.
Even I personally didn't like all the changes you made, I realized that you want something completely different.
And I like it. Really looking forward to see what new stuff you invented.

Erisian
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Erisian » 02 May 2019, 11:09

d4rk3lf wrote: 2) I will upload my last exe file. This time it has some minor changes, but includes day/night cycle that I tried to do slow like in the real MM6. Try to wait 5 minutes or a bit longer, and it will be night.. then sunrise.. etc.

This time I am uploading exe on my personal google drive, so even if I am out of here for months, anyone can look into it.
Here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D6We-S ... sp=sharing
Awesome - thanks!
"It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end"
(Ursula K Le Guin)

random_content
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby random_content » 04 May 2019, 04:23

I fried my video card and have spent half a year with a card too old to run Unreal and learn. So I did other projects. New card coming soon and hopefully some fun projects.
What I have learned.

DATASMITH is an Unreal Engine plugin that can export 3ds files to Unreal.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Stu ... mith/HowTo

Autodesk FBX Converter standalone or plugin for Autodesk/Maya
https://www.autodesk.com/developer-netw ... r-archives Autodesk FBX Converter download page.
http://download.autodesk.com/us/fbx/201 ... index.html Instruction manual for Autodesk FBX Converter.

I cannot comment on these tools functionality as this time.

@ d4rk3lf - your .rar files are corrupt as of the time of this posting.

d4rk3lf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby d4rk3lf » 04 May 2019, 09:31

random_content wrote: What I have learned.
DATASMITH is an Unreal Engine plugin that can export 3ds files to Unreal.
I cannot comment on these tools functionality as this time.
Datasmith is great for 3DS Max.
The main advantage (for me) is it's material export abilities. With fbx you can export meshes, but you have to change to standard 3DS Max material, if you want (only) diffuse and normal texture to be exported, and that's it.
Datasmith can automatically convert very complex Vray materials (or standard), trying to respect almost every material property (reflection, glossiness, transparency... etc)...
The resulting material in UE is often very complex and unoptimized, but you can't expect better job for an automated process, and I am personally very happy with the results, as the material really tends to look very very similar like in the 3DS Max.
random_content wrote: @ d4rk3lf - your .rar files are corrupt as of the time of this posting.
I just downloaded, unpacked and started exe, and everything works for me.
Anyone else have a problem?

DrakeBD
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby DrakeBD » 03 Sep 2019, 16:01

DrakeBD wrote:I have also been working on the level from scratch
Also used the M&M8 terrain texture sets as there more up to date and look better.
That's great man!
If you ask me... I'd place less fog in there, and a little more ambient light (your dark (shaded) parts, are way too dark), and everything else is great!
As for the sprites, I think it's much easier using 3D models in Unreal then sprites. I know it's hard to find that exact 3D model, but only a basic 3D mesh, with some simple mapping of that texture could work. And will release you a lot's of headache's with 2D sprites. I still haven't got to that part, so my advices are only theoretical
As for the textures and MM8. That's great idea, but I am unsure how even MM8 textures handles todays standards.
That being said, I am uploading a PSD with all textures I created (so far), that you can use freely on your own project (or anyone else):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ikbrge ... sp=sharing[/quote]

Thanks for the info i placed abit more fog due to being able to see off the edge of the map when going close to the edges plus does create some nice light shafts through the trees and the old might and magic games did have a distance fog enabled so trying to replicate that somewhat.

sorry for the late reply myself life took a different turn and i have to take a break from most things computer related but still have all my files for the project so thats a plus just updated it to the new UE4 version.

As for the sprites because there animated in themselves using a texture alone on a mesh would not work very well but i think the process i have used to get them to work is working well
here is abit of the logic i managed to get together for the sprites camera angle and movement for said camera angle.

KirillShelepaev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KirillShelepaev » 13 Sep 2019, 05:34

Hi guys. MM6 is my favorite childhood game. In our Russia, even with the localization of foreign games in those days it was bad, MM6 was localized and officially released in Russia only in 2003, so in my childhood I played the pirated version in English, which I downloaded from the Internet. The project to create this game in UE4 is a great idea. I decided to try the same in this path.
Soon I will post my best practices here.

KirillShelepaev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KirillShelepaev » 13 Sep 2019, 05:44

I have a lot of ideas on this project so that the game on UE4 would not be a copy, but an improved version (not only in the graphics). In the original MM6 there were about 20 locations, there were a bunch of downloads between them, I propose to make a seamless world with one location of the outside world. Then, for the speed of creating volume for buildings, use the following methodology: do not look for new textures, but improve old ones using neural networks, extrude from flat polygons in 3D Max or squeeze shapes (for this, the polygon can simply be divided into a bunch of small polygons), I can create monsters in SculptVR using virtual reality.

KirillShelepaev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KirillShelepaev » 30 Sep 2019, 09:35

Hi guys. This is your friend from Russia again. Did you think I was joking? No, I worked all the time. Here is my experience.

KirillShelepaev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KirillShelepaev » 30 Sep 2019, 09:45

Hi guys. This is your friend from Russia again. Did you think I was joking? No, I worked all the time. Here is my experience. Image
Last edited by KirillShelepaev on 30 Sep 2019, 10:09, edited 12 times in total.

unknownone
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby unknownone » 30 Sep 2019, 11:29

Hi, that's a very nice improvement. Could this strategy be used to upscale all textures and use them in MM678 Merge?
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

WooptyDoo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby WooptyDoo » 30 Sep 2019, 18:01

Hey guys, I've been following this thread with great interest and I've even tried to import the New Sorpigal map into Unreal Engine myself. However I run into some issues and I was hoping you guys could help.
d4rk3lf wrote: Here is the steps I did for this:
1) Exported with Grayface patch - imported in 3DS Max.
2) In 3DS Max applied to everything "smooth" modifier and checked "autosmooth" (it wil work without this, but I highly recommend it)
3) Exported as fbx.
4) Imported in Unreal in some of the preset walking scenes.
There you go . :) You have all the stuff within modern engine.. shadows... everything :)
And that's it..
I followed these steps as best I could. The only thing I couldn't exactly follow was the usage of 3DS Max (it comes with a $2.000+ subscription a year :( ) Instead I used Blender (and maybe thats where the issues come from).

So I
  1. exported the New Sorpigal map as an .obj file using Grayface's map editor
  2. imported it into Blender.
  3. exported it to .fbx format using the Edge smoothing option (settings here)
  4. imported the .fbx file into Unreal Engine 4 (from the content window) in a project with the FPS template using these settings
  5. after compiling almost 4K shader models (is this right?), which takes a LONG LONG time, I can see a fully rendered New Sorpigal map in the Unreal Engines viewport. Also, I got a lot of materials, textures and a single static mesh in the content window at the bottom after the import. By dragging the static mesh into the engine viewport, I can see the NewSorpigal map starting to appear. Like so (large image):
  6. when I try to play in this map however, my player always starts above the map and collision doesn't seem to work
So anyway, what exactly is the type you guys are dragging into the viewport? Is it a static mesh? Do you have to fiddle with the collisions before actually walking around on New Sorpigal?

KirillShelepaev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KirillShelepaev » 01 Oct 2019, 03:50

unknownone wrote:Hi, that's a very nice improvement. Could this strategy be used to upscale all textures and use them in MM678 Merge?
Greetings. My model is made for a third of work only, and weighs more than 6000 polygons already. The final result will be about 18,000 polygons. I will try to make an open world for the whole mm6. I even tried to shove old models from around the world in UE4 at a time, so my laptop hung in a dream. If the computer is very powerful, then you can try to make an open world for all 3 series of mm.
In order for the open world to work normally, I immediately make models optimized: I break the model into separate meshs (4 walls of the first floor, 4 walls of the second floor, roof, stairs, internal walls), I manually create LODs and MipMaps for textures.

KirillShelepaev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KirillShelepaev » 01 Oct 2019, 03:53

unknownone wrote:Hi, that's a very nice improvement. Could this strategy be used to upscale all textures and use them in MM678 Merge?

Forgot to write. Textures I do heavy 1024 by 1024. I get them by converting to neural networks. It turns out to be very difficult, which I then convert to Adobe Fotoshop to the resolution I need. This is the only way optimization of textures in UE4 will work, if I understand correctly. He is new to this business. If you do not engage in optimizations from the very beginning, you can forget about the open world. I hope PROMT normally translated into your language =)
Last edited by KirillShelepaev on 01 Oct 2019, 04:01, edited 2 times in total.

unknownone
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby unknownone » 01 Oct 2019, 20:13

Thank you very much for your explanation. What kind of neural network are you using? Which images did you use to train it?
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

KirillShelepaev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KirillShelepaev » 02 Oct 2019, 03:19

unknownone wrote:Thank you very much for your explanation. What kind of neural network are you using? Which images did you use to train it?
I used a ready-made service with ready-made neural networks on the site https://letsenhance.io for improve the texture

KirillShelepaev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KirillShelepaev » 03 Oct 2019, 09:22

WooptyDoo wrote:Hey guys, I've been following this thread with great interest and I've even tried to import the New Sorpigal map into Unreal Engine myself. However I run into some issues and I was hoping you guys could help.
d4rk3lf wrote: Here is the steps I did for this:
1) Exported with Grayface patch - imported in 3DS Max.
2) In 3DS Max applied to everything "smooth" modifier and checked "autosmooth" (it wil work without this, but I highly recommend it)
3) Exported as fbx.
4) Imported in Unreal in some of the preset walking scenes.
There you go . :) You have all the stuff within modern engine.. shadows... everything :)
And that's it..
I followed these steps as best I could. The only thing I couldn't exactly follow was the usage of 3DS Max (it comes with a $2.000+ subscription a year :( ) Instead I used Blender (and maybe thats where the issues come from).

So I
  1. exported the New Sorpigal map as an .obj file using Grayface's map editor
  2. imported it into Blender.
  3. exported it to .fbx format using the Edge smoothing option (settings here)
  4. imported the .fbx file into Unreal Engine 4 (from the content window) in a project with the FPS template using these settings
  5. after compiling almost 4K shader models (is this right?), which takes a LONG LONG time, I can see a fully rendered New Sorpigal map in the Unreal Engines viewport. Also, I got a lot of materials, textures and a single static mesh in the content window at the bottom after the import. By dragging the static mesh into the engine viewport, I can see the NewSorpigal map starting to appear. Like so (large image):
  6. when I try to play in this map however, my player always starts above the map and collision doesn't seem to work
So anyway, what exactly is the type you guys are dragging into the viewport? Is it a static mesh? Do you have to fiddle with the collisions before actually walking around on New Sorpigal?
Hello. I noticed that you did not have all the textures drawn, I had this when importing from 3D Max. The solution to this problem is that I installed a very old version of 3D Max. C new glitches occur during import, because the versions of the models in the game are very old. Further on your question, you need to configure collisions. If UE4 created a collision curve, then delete it and create new ones.

KirillShelepaev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KirillShelepaev » 08 Oct 2019, 03:53

What I did on the project:
1) Using the plug-in, I pulled out all the cards and dreamed in 3D max.
2) Moved the New Sorpigal card to UE4.
3) Improved the texture of the tower and the bar, did the work on architecture, broke it into simple meshes for better tracing of the dynamic response.
4) Put in the project a cool ship that sways on the ocean, its sails are developing.
5) Put in the project amazing ocean.

Currently engaged in realistic vegetation At the moment.

KirillShelepaev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KirillShelepaev » 08 Oct 2019, 03:54

There will be screenshots tomorrow. Oh yes, I forgot to say that I made a dynamic change of day and night.
Last edited by KirillShelepaev on 08 Oct 2019, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.

d4rk3lf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby d4rk3lf » 08 Dec 2019, 10:28

Guys.

I've been very busy with regular work, so couldn't yet proceed with this project.
However, I uploaded all project files, if someone wants to proceed, and will post again exe file.

So, here they are:

Exe file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D6We-S ... gVPN3/view
Source files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PKkwA8 ... 009ap/view

DrakeBD
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby DrakeBD » 13 Dec 2019, 10:05

d4rk3lf wrote:Guys.

I've been very busy with regular work, so couldn't yet proceed with this project.
However, I uploaded all project files, if someone wants to proceed, and will post again exe file.

So, here they are:

Exe file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D6We-S ... gVPN3/view
Source files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PKkwA8 ... 009ap/view
I will check out the source and see how you have done it compared to my attempt see if they can be combined thanks for this will help greatly

EDIT
I have now checked out your source map and material and see it is very basic that being said liked some of the things you did that i didnt like the terrain smoothing
see that you did not optimize the static meshes for structures and other assets though so thats still in the pre import state i would happily share my source with you so you can have a look at how i did the terrain granted its not perfect either and some things are still dodgy but its a learning curve for us both shame you dont have more time to work along side me to make somthing better of this.
Last edited by DrakeBD on 13 Dec 2019, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”