New Sorpigal Unreal Engine 4

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

d4rk3lf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

New Sorpigal Unreal Engine 4

Postby d4rk3lf » Aug 25 2018, 0:26

VIDEO BELLOW

Hi Hoy. ;)

I've started to learn Unreal 4 engine few weeks a go, and naturally (because I am in the middle of my mm6 gameplay :-D ) , I wanted to see how New Sorpigal would look inside it.
With the help of Grayface editor, I was able to extract whole level, bring it to 3DS Max, clean it up a little (mostly smoothing groups), and I was able to then import it in Unreal. Oh man, I was happy then. :)
Thanks Grayface!

The Goal:
I am not recreating the game. Nothing programming related. I don't have the knowledge, and time to do it.
All I want is to see how New Sorpigal could look, if it is polished by today graphic standard. I will make exe file, that I will share, so anyone can download and walk on the level (I guess the size will be few GB's... but.. oh well :) )
Eventually, if I finish the whole level with satisfying results, I'll try to make day-night switch, and will try to make some function like the "rest" in the game is, so when you press "h" hours are passing by quickly. I don't know, shouldn't be hard... but who knows...
At this point, I have zero knowledge about unreal blueprint (visual programming editor).

Anyways, I started with replacing the textures.
Here's the example:

Most of the ground textures is finished, I've made 1024 res textures.

Then I added some free foliage (trees mostly), from free unreal assets in the assets store.
I played with light... collision object... then I place some more objects (more in the video bellow)
And here it is, the first video update:
https://youtu.be/3gsHRmS3ZcM

Sorry about fast mouse movement. When I was recording everything was like slow motion.

That's it, feel free to suggest anything, to like it, or dislike it, to give ideas... etc.
Cheers to all!

unknownone
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Re: New Sorpigal Unreal Engine 4

Postby unknownone » Aug 25 2018, 14:32

Hi! This UE4 version of New Sorpigal looks nice, it is a great proof of principle.
Last edited by unknownone on Aug 26 2018, 7:30, edited 1 time in total.
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

Galaad
Succubus
Succubus

Postby Galaad » Aug 25 2018, 15:02

OMG this is absolutely fantastic, I would so much play this, it's like an HD remaster!!
Last edited by Galaad on Aug 25 2018, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

d4rk3lf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby d4rk3lf » Aug 26 2018, 23:24

Thanks guys! :)

@unknownone
Yes! This is exactly "proof of concept" that I am trying to do.
Let's see how much we can push this out, and if it turns out good, we can all scream at Ubisoft to make a remake.
I don't think they care at all, but.. we can dream.
Anyway, I am positive that remake of this game could be financially very rewarding, because it has all in it, and with a huge graphics changes, and minor UI/Concept changes, young generations would accept it better then Assassins Creed.

@Galaad
Thanks mate.
I am trying my best. My demo (if ever will be finished) wouldn't be playable game, but at least you could walk on the level.
I've already tried to make an exe file of this, but some errors occurred, and I must ask for advise on Unreal forum.
Once that is sorted out, I will be happy to upload exe file, anytime you guys want.
--------------------------

Trying to remake (re-model, re-texture) basic house in New Sorpigal. I've taken one of the houses (that are same) of Body, Spirit, and Mind Expert teachers.
Still not very happy with the results, but this is the progress so far.
I am still unsure should I re-model all houses like this (adding extrusions, separate planks models... etc), or should I keep the initial models intact, and just change the textures.
I've tried to stay as much as I can with the original design.

Although, I am kind of 3D generalist, my primary skills are certainly not modeling and texturing, so any advice is very appreciated.
And also, every comments from a true MM fans are very appreciated (in terms of how do we keep the same feel, yet, improve it).

Cheers to all!

unknownone
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Postby unknownone » Aug 27 2018, 9:38

I totally agree with you.
Concerning the house, I believe that the original designers went with textured flat buildings to keep the polygon count lower and make the game more accessible to the people at that time. Probably, if they were to do it now, they would make more detailed buildings like the one you did. Extruding the details in the textures seems to me the way to go, but obviously within your time constraints.
There was a thread in the forum about a Unity implementation of MM6 remake, could this work in UE4 benefit or contribute to that, at least for the models?
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

Echo
Scout
Scout

Postby Echo » Aug 31 2018, 12:05

Fun stuff :D So weird to see actual horses in MM6 location!

Xfing
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Xfing » Sep 11 2018, 10:21

This looks gorgeous! Man, if only Might and Magic had the budget of the AAA franchises, we could get real stuff like this too then ;<

Return to “Might and Magic”