High Resolution Might and Magic 6 7 8 with dgVoodoo 2

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
UnknownHuman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: High Resolution Might and Magic 6 7 8 with dgVoodoo 2

Unread postby UnknownHuman » 20 Apr 2018, 07:54

waltc wrote:
UnknownHuman wrote:Hi there.

I can get "high res" but not better looking graphics.
It looks the same as the original game, bulky.

The pictures further up in thread is what I wanted.
I followed exactly but can never get it to work.

Any ideas please ?
Well, the instructions as published here work perfectly--I can attest to that, myself--so if you are having a problem it's definitely on your end. As well, without your furnishing a lot more configuration information you'll have little hope of being helped, even if someone would like to try--you simply haven't provided enough specific info. If you are experienced enough to imagine it, try and imagine the sort of information you'd need to see if you were going to try and help someone else--and then provide that information about your own configuration. Good luck... :yes:
Well, strange because I follow exactly what is said here.
I get just High Res, but with bulky textures and models.
Wonder if its the damn GFX card not correct in the config :devious:
Still, thanks.

UnknownHuman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby UnknownHuman » 20 Apr 2018, 17:25

Never mind, got it to work :D

So happy, was Windows 10 Scaling DPI crap.
Thanks !!

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 22 Apr 2018, 18:43

I can't get a full screen when using the mouselook workaround. Everything is set precisely as the instructions say, and all I get is a small ,4:3 window for the game in the middle of the screen.

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 25 Apr 2018, 20:40

Xfing wrote:I can't get a full screen when using the mouselook workaround. Everything is set precisely as the instructions say, and all I get is a small ,4:3 window for the game in the middle of the screen.
Hit F4 once or twice after you see that and see what happens...;)
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 25 Apr 2018, 20:42

UnknownHuman wrote:Never mind, got it to work :D

So happy, was Windows 10 Scaling DPI crap.
Thanks !!
Excellent!--actually, I think the DPI scaling option in 10 is pretty cool...;) I set every game executable I have to "application" and it works fine...! Probably Microsoft needs to expand on those instructions, no doubt!
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

Capell
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Capell » 26 Apr 2018, 15:32

Great guide! Unfortunately I can't really seem to make it work.

Following the guide to a point (MM7, GOG version) it seems that the game is scaled to the resolution chosen in full-screen mode, but once I press F4 and it switches to windowed mode, the size of the window hasn't been changed from the default size. Any suggestions?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 26 Apr 2018, 19:06

waltc wrote:
Xfing wrote:I can't get a full screen when using the mouselook workaround. Everything is set precisely as the instructions say, and all I get is a small ,4:3 window for the game in the middle of the screen.
Hit F4 once or twice after you see that and see what happens...;)
All that happens is the upper window bar appears and disappears :(

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 30 Apr 2018, 16:21

Xfing wrote:All that happens is the upper window bar appears and disappears :(
I've posted link for temporary mouselook script above, it works without tweaking dgVoodoo and may solve the problem, if you use mm678, script is already in "Scripts\General" folder - find "MouseLookTmp.lua.off" and rename it to "MouseLookTmp.lua", setup dgVoodoo in usual way and use backspace to toggle mouselook.

chiyolate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby chiyolate » 01 May 2018, 07:06

I use 1280 x 960 resolution instead of 1440 x 1080, and I also unchecked the "Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state" checkbox, so when I load the game, it goes straight into a nice 1280 x 960 window without the need to press F4 (several times), and because it's 960p, it doesn't get blocked by th taskbar!!! so you can leave the taskbar alone :D

I also tried 2880 x 2160 and it looks AMAZING!!!
Too bad thought I don't have a 4K monitor yet! LOL
Here's the screenshot (open the image in new tab to see the full resolution)

There is a minor glitch though with the mouse cursor when dragging item around the inventory..

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 02 May 2018, 15:22

Rodril wrote:
Xfing wrote:All that happens is the upper window bar appears and disappears :(
I've posted link for temporary mouselook script above, it works without tweaking dgVoodoo and may solve the problem, if you use mm678, script is already in "Scripts\General" folder - find "MouseLookTmp.lua.off" and rename it to "MouseLookTmp.lua", setup dgVoodoo in usual way and use backspace to toggle mouselook.
It does work, it would be nice to have sidestepping on A and D like it was in Grayface's original patch :P

chiyolate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby chiyolate » 03 May 2018, 16:28

I have found a workaround (at least for NVIDIA users) for:

1. Items blinking when dragged around inside the inventory window
2. Mouse cursor feels inaccurate or strange
3. Spinning mouse look
4. Having to press F4 multiple times
5. Having to hide the taskbar

Here's how:
1. Go to NVIDIA control panel, then go to "Adjust desktop size and position"
2. Check the "Enable desktop resizing" checkbox
3. Press the Resize button, then slide your monitor width to 1440 (assuming you have a 1920 x 1080 monitor)
Apply that, now you have a virtual 1440 x 1080 monitor.

Next, use this dgVoodoo settings:

1. General tab -> choose Windowed -> Centered
2. Check the "Inherit color profile in fullscreen mode" (for better contrast)
3a. IMPORTANT! FOR Original MM7: Check the "Capture mouse" checkbox
3b. IMPORTANT! FOR MM678: Uncheck the "Capture mouse" checkbox
(This one is for the spinning mouselook!)

DirectX tab:
4. Check "Application controlled fullscreen.."
5. Check "Disable alt-enter to..."
6. Set resolution to 1440 x 1080, 60Hz

DONE!

Now you can play MM in 1440 x 1080 (fullscreen) perfectly without being blocked by the taskbar, and glitchfree! And no longer need to press F4!
Last edited by chiyolate on 03 May 2018, 17:27, edited 10 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 03 May 2018, 18:50

Xfing wrote:It does work, it would be nice to have sidestepping on A and D like it was in Grayface's original patch :P
Find file "mm8.ini" in your game folder, open it with any text editor, find line "AlwaysStrafe=0" and change it to "AlwaysStrafe=1", though, after it you'll have to press ctrl+a/d to turn party even w/o mouselook. Think, i'll try to add this flag in game menu.

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 05 May 2018, 21:04

chiyolate wrote:I use 1280 x 960 resolution instead of 1440 x 1080, and I also unchecked the "Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state" checkbox, so when I load the game, it goes straight into a nice 1280 x 960 window without the need to press F4 (several times), and because it's 960p, it doesn't get blocked by th taskbar!!! so you can leave the taskbar alone :D

There is a minor glitch though with the mouse cursor when dragging item around the inventory..
Don't see a glitch moving inventory, but I certainly agree with you--the high resolution makes all the difference--especially in MM6--I run @ 2560x1440 and it is very, very nice indeed--like a new game graphically, when combined with the MM8 full window view. Very nice. (Rodril deserves a medal of some kind... :tsup: ))

Hmmm...just noticed it! Your screen shot appears to be from the standard game, as the MM8 window view isn't there...? Eh?
Last edited by waltc on 05 May 2018, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 05 May 2018, 21:08

waltc wrote:
chiyolate wrote:I use 1280 x 960 resolution instead of 1440 x 1080, and I also unchecked the "Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state" checkbox, so when I load the game, it goes straight into a nice 1280 x 960 window without the need to press F4 (several times), and because it's 960p, it doesn't get blocked by th taskbar!!! so you can leave the taskbar alone :D

Don't see a glitch moving inventory, but I certainly agree with you--the high resolution makes all the difference--especially in MM6--I run @ 2560x1440 and it is very, very nice indeed--like a new game graphically, when combined with the MM8 full window view. Very nice. (Rodril deserves a medal of some kind... :tsup: ))

Hmmm...just noticed it! Your screen shot appears to be from the standard game, as the MM8 window view isn't there and you should have five character slots available...? Eh?
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

chiyolate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby chiyolate » 06 May 2018, 04:55

waltc wrote:

Hmmm...just noticed it! Your screen shot appears to be from the standard game, as the MM8 window view isn't there...? Eh?
Yes I'm currently playing the original MM7!
Next time I will definitely try the merged MM6. I have tried a few days ago but couldn't figure out how to Hire an NPC???

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 10 May 2018, 20:51

chiyolate wrote:
waltc wrote:

Yes I'm currently playing the original MM7!
Next time I will definitely try the merged MM6. I have tried a few days ago but couldn't figure out how to Hire an NPC???
I thought the way it worked is that after you made room from an extra character in your team by dismissing a player, you could then hire the npc. The dismissed player could then be found in the AG in Free Haven...
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

Skullguise
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Skullguise » 01 Jul 2018, 03:15

chiyolate wrote:I have found a workaround (at least for NVIDIA users) for:
Thanks for that. This helps a lot. But only in fullscreen. When I run it windowed the window is TINY. I really wish the mouse wouldn't spin because turning off mouse lock makes it super annoying to find my mouse.
Last edited by Skullguise on 01 Jul 2018, 03:55, edited 3 times in total.

Skullguise
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Skullguise » 02 Jul 2018, 19:16

Is there any way to change the window size?

I have tried disabling the application controlled window size box and then I can drag the window size to something larger but then the mouse doesn't scale. It still seems to track the old resolution.

If I could just effectively change the windowed size then this would be perfect for me.

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 23 Jul 2018, 01:46

Moved Post to the regular MM8 Merge6,7,8 thread...
Last edited by waltc on 25 Jul 2018, 20:57, edited 2 times in total.
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

Cravez
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cravez » 12 Aug 2018, 20:07

Does this program get rid of the black bars on either side of the screen? I installed M&M8 with the M&M6/7/8 Extension - https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/16657

I then downloaded dgVoodoo 2 and followed the instructions as per this thread, however the black bars are still there in the game. Can anyone help/advise or was the program never meant to do this?

Providing images of what this looks like in-game and the dgVoodoo 2 settings:
- M&M 8 Menu Black Bars:

- M&M 8 Setup:

- dgVoodoo 2 General tab:

- dgVoodoo 2 DirectX tab:
Last edited by Cravez on 12 Aug 2018, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”