Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.05.2019]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Xfing
Golem
Golem
Posts: 601
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 3 2018, 12:29

GrayFace wrote:Yes, zombies are kind of wasted, whole characters just for an easter egg. What would be really cool is to turn them into an actual new race. Who's got ideas for skills and promotions? I guess they should go to MM7 or MM8 continent, with the latter being easier, because it's 1 promotion quest instead of 3. Unused stonehenge in Murmurwoods could be the target of it.


Well, if you care much about canonicity, I wouldn't go that way, really, since Zombie is a condition that vastly lowers all your stats and screws you up in a lot of different ways to boot. I would definitely enjoy at least having the temporary Zombie condition, portrait-changing and all - back. That would require only a single male and female paperdoll (you could make trolls and minos unavailable to use Reanimate on), but yeah, it'd be fun to be able to use Reanimate on party members too. Useless, but fun! (these things are important for immersion though)

User avatar
Templayer
Blood Fury
Blood Fury
Posts: 479
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 3 2018, 15:29

Rodril wrote:Speaking of zombies, i have no idea how they can fit in might and magic lore as independent race, are not they were always supposed to be just necromancer's semi-brainless slaves?

Well, Might and Magic is the original source material (whereas Heroes is the spinoff), and since you can become a zombie in vanilla MM7,....
... even though the term "race" ... they are a technical race, lore-wise it is a status. Same for Liches and Vampires.

Previously I had an idea of being able to CHOOSE a Lich form, with Skeleton being the base, Zombie and Vampire Liches as special new quests. It was turned down because no Lich in MM universe was something else.

Also raising party members with reanimate (including from an evil-alligned town) could be made to have a 50/50 chance of raising the character as a Zombie, or a Skeleton (Lich graphics, new stats and sounds).
It's all for fun and flavour though.

Also since we can now make Dragon Necromancers.... having a Dracolich graphics would be nice! :D
MMMerge Task Tracker (= Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: http://www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 7
Joined: 26 Sep 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Strobe » Oct 3 2018, 19:08

Also raising party members with reanimate (including from an evil-alligned town) could be made to have a 50/50 chance of raising the character as a Zombie, or a Skeleton (Lich graphics, new stats and sounds).
It's all for fun and flavour though.


That's actually not a bad idea, imho. Not so hard task to repaint the lich portrait to a regular skeleton, and also not so extreme to not fit the lore.

Btw, im currently playing the merge, and noting the bugs, strange anomalies i found.
Maybe most of them already known, but i want to be sure you also noticed these.
I started the party in Antagarich.

Bugs:
- Heroic Sword (Two-Handed) right hand texture is buggy (which doesn't hold the sword)
- No stealing skill (i know its well known)
- Hirelings don't take gold/percentage


And some tips, ideas:
- Travel with Stable to Tularean Forest is a bit too rare (it seemed more often in vanilla game imo)
- No wind and gate master hirelings (or maybe very-very rare)
- Citizens are not changing randomly through reloading the saved game, or travel (spending some time)
- Racial bonuses seem to be uncompleted
- About Arcomage deck: the player shouldn't get a deck before the mm7 quest, or as an alternative, it could be buyable in some inn's in all over the 3 continent
- Starting kit should be more randomized imo
- More accurate descriptions, mentioning all the classes in the stats (it only has the mm8 classes, bit confusing)
- Hirelings are too cheap to hire (all of them were only 200 gold, but im sure its just a placeholder value)

And a question: how do i know if i want to start repaint items, that which ones are not completed?

Its a great mod, i enjoy it a lot. Can't wait to get more ram, because its pretty laggy for me yet. :D :applause:

User avatar
Xfing
Golem
Golem
Posts: 601
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 3 2018, 20:30

Hey, just checked some of my uniques collection, and I've noticed that as of this patch Ulysses the bow is at 5d2+13, which makes it quite weak compared to other unique bows. The suggested damage value in my files is 6d2+14, though I suppose you may have decided to nerf this damage a little bit in the meantime considering its added elemental damage. I do believe I've mentioned this in the past and one of your patches fixed it, but looks like one of the newer ones rolled the changes back :D

When examining the file I made with the suggested changes, all unique bows that had 5d2+10 were boosted to the same value of 6d2+14 for consistency.
Last edited by Xfing on Oct 3 2018, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 44
Joined: 23 Nov 2016
Location: Russian

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby kristal » Oct 4 2018, 5:07

In MM7, 8 would be more interesting with an NPC BTB.txt

User avatar
Xfing
Golem
Golem
Posts: 601
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 4 2018, 5:55

Rodril wrote:Yes, definitely, erudine chainmail looks and fits a lot better, i've changed it. These conversions were made by Grayface, i'm not sure i'll ever have enough patience for such painstaking work.


I'm sure it is! And yeah, it definitely looks splendid now, just like something made by the original authors! Royal Leathers could come next, as those are still findable from Land of Giants dragons. But I do realize it's easier said than done.

So, could you spoil which armors have been added as of now apart from Hareck's Leather?

User avatar
equs
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 63
Joined: 14 Dec 2017

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby equs » Oct 4 2018, 7:17

Templayer wrote:
Rodril wrote:Speaking of zombies, i have no idea how they can fit in might and magic lore as independent race, are not they were always supposed to be just necromancer's semi-brainless slaves?

Well, Might and Magic is the original source material (whereas Heroes is the spinoff), and since you can become a zombie in vanilla MM7,....
... even though the term "race" ... they are a technical race, lore-wise it is a status. Same for Liches and Vampires.

Previously I had an idea of being able to CHOOSE a Lich form, with Skeleton being the base, Zombie and Vampire Liches as special new quests. It was turned down because no Lich in MM universe was something else.

Also raising party members with reanimate (including from an evil-alligned town) could be made to have a 50/50 chance of raising the character as a Zombie, or a Skeleton (Lich graphics, new stats and sounds).
It's all for fun and flavour though.

Also since we can now make Dragon Necromancers.... having a Dracolich graphics would be nice! :D



These ideas sounds absolutely awesome for me!!! :applause:
I also think the dragon race is completely overpowered. and the Dracolich (or Dragon Necromancer) could be balanced again. with high magic power and low strength, durability and life points

User avatar
Templayer
Blood Fury
Blood Fury
Posts: 479
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 4 2018, 15:26

Hmm, it seems that in addition to a bug tracker, we might need a repaint tracker as well, seeing that there are now people here that want to try to repaint stuff, but do not know what has been repainted already and what wasn't.

RODRIL! HEAR OUR PLEAS, OH LORD AND SAVIOUR!

Also I'm glad that some people now agree with my suggestions for the undead modifications. Also Undead Abilities would be cool. Like "Touch of Decay", "Rigor Mortis", and that Heroes spell that raises age (and Spectres and other undead are capable of). Heroes actually had quite a few "undead spells". In the same manner as Regeneration, there could be Magic resistivity (for Dwarves), Light Elf Abilities (replacing Darkfire with something like ... a "Song of the Forest" or something) and goblins having Shamanistic magic. But I digress.

Another suggestion was to do something the original developers of MM8 wanted - racial skills. Skills that were not bound to a class, being bound to a race instead. I guess they didn't have the time to implement it, thus we got the half-baked half-class half-race system of MM8.

A new section on the skill window would be nice - something like "Racial skills".
With the skills like Dragon Ability, Dark Elf Ability, Regeneration, and such.
So a Vampire Priest of the Dark would get regen and Vampire Ability skills, even though it would be technically a priest.

Dragons' revamp: Since the dragon ranged attack is an override that overrides the melee attack and Rodril said that it can be removed, we could remove it and instead put something more funny there:

Non-removable items. Three of them - "dual wielding" a "claw weapon" and a "maw weapon", with the ranged weapon being the "Breath weapon" (all of them using the Dragon Ability skill as a base, the Breath weapon being essentially a bow, with grandmaster it could shoot twice, with the projectiles changed from arrows to the current breath attack projectile), while the claw weapon + maw weapon synergizing with the Unarmed skill (like how the Staff + unarmed works, but instead Dragon Ability + unarmed). And an dragon scales as an armour that uses the Dragon Ability skill and synergizes with dodging. And the Breath weapon having different elemental effects depending on the colour of the dragon would be awesome. And having all the dragon types, but we would need a master painter for that.

We need that painting tracker ASAP, since there are people that are willing to at least try.
MMMerge Task Tracker (= Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: http://www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Xfing
Golem
Golem
Posts: 601
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 4 2018, 16:48

Well, all those change ideas are really cool, but personally I'm happy this merge has remained as vanilla as can be. If some serious, game-altering changes were to be implemented, it would probably be better if they were a separate, parallel release. Just so us purists can be happy too :P

User avatar
GrayFace
Wraith
Wraith
Posts: 1273
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby GrayFace » Oct 4 2018, 17:31

Rodril wrote:Speaking of zombies, i have no idea how they can fit in might and magic lore as independent race, are not they were always supposed to be just necromancer's semi-brainless slaves?

Indeed. Gray hair stops us from makings them black knights either.

Xfing wrote:Royal Leathers could come next, as those are still findable from Land of Giants dragons.

They're not artifacts.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 7
Joined: 26 Sep 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Strobe » Oct 4 2018, 18:24

Xfing wrote:Well, all those change ideas are really cool, but personally I'm happy this merge has remained as vanilla as can be. If some serious, game-altering changes were to be implemented, it would probably be better if they were a separate, parallel release. Just so us purists can be happy too :P


I couldn't agree more sir. :yes:
I'd only like new features/races/stuff, if its not so much a game-altering change.
So yeah, if some new stuffs going to be added, it should fit the MM lore and "spirit".

User avatar
Xfing
Golem
Golem
Posts: 601
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 4 2018, 21:00

Royal leathers might not be artifacts, but why not add them further down the pipeline too? I think that the final product should have all the armors, helmets, belts and boots repainted for supreme variety. We could also do the same thing to them that we did to the weapons, tiering them again with altered stats. Having 15 leather armors to choose from rather than 5 would be amazing. Like with the weapons, the lowest tier MM7 armor options wil probably be the **** most of the time, with a few exceptions like the Rusty Breastplate or the Rusty Mail Vest for instance. But that would also allow for one type of armor per category to be moved exclusively to Tier 6 and be as hard to get as artifacts proper. Yeah, that's going to be tons of fun, which is why I'm super thankful to whoever is willing to do the repainting!

User avatar
Templayer
Blood Fury
Blood Fury
Posts: 479
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 5 2018, 5:50

Strobe wrote:
Xfing wrote:Well, all those change ideas are really cool, but personally I'm happy this merge has remained as vanilla as can be. If some serious, game-altering changes were to be implemented, it would probably be better if they were a separate, parallel release. Just so us purists can be happy too :P

I couldn't agree more sir. :yes:
I'd only like new features/races/stuff, if its not so much a game-altering change.
So yeah, if some new stuffs going to be added, it should fit the MM lore and "spirit".

The problem with the Racial skills is that they WERE supposed to be in vanilla MM8. The developers didn't have time to finish it.
And the dragons in vanilla MM8? They are just broken. I made suggestions on how to fix them properly.

Xfing wrote:Royal leathers might not be artifacts, but why not add them further down the pipeline too? I think that the final product should have all the armors, helmets, belts and boots repainted for supreme variety. We could also do the same thing to them that we did to the weapons, tiering them again with altered stats. Having 15 leather armors to choose from rather than 5 would be amazing. Like with the weapons, the lowest tier MM7 armor options wil probably be the **** most of the time, with a few exceptions like the Rusty Breastplate or the Rusty Mail Vest for instance. But that would also allow for one type of armor per category to be moved exclusively to Tier 6 and be as hard to get as artifacts proper. Yeah, that's going to be tons of fun, which is why I'm super thankful to whoever is willing to do the repainting!

I agree, even though the artifacts and relics should have a priority. And since there are now multiple people wishing to try to repaint armours... perhaps Grayface would be interested in making a paint-tracker? Hmmm? I agree that I wish as well to have a greater variety than a few armours and that is it.
MMMerge Task Tracker (= Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: http://www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Xfing
Golem
Golem
Posts: 601
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 5 2018, 9:31

Yeah, a tracker would be very helpful, definitely. I've asked 2 times already which chain armors have been redone, and received no answer :D

User avatar
Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 7
Joined: 26 Sep 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Strobe » Oct 5 2018, 9:53

The problem with the Racial skills is that they WERE supposed to be in vanilla MM8. The developers didn't have time to finish it.
And the dragons in vanilla MM8? They are just broken. I made suggestions on how to fix them properly.


Oh, that's new info for me. I've read about some features which wasn't included in the vanilla game, and i agree.
It is a very good idea, to add these, as they were originally planned.

Hmm, it seems that in addition to a bug tracker, we might need a repaint tracker as well, seeing that there are now people here that want to try to repaint stuff, but do not know what has been repainted already and what wasn't.


If i'd know about this project sooner, i'd be able now to do some help. And if there any other hardcore fan like me, then we really should make some trackers to know clearly what to do. MM series is absolutely my all time favorite, and i always wanted to do something. Im bad in coding, studied c# and java for couple of months in high school, but im learning the coding from MMMerge files. Also, i was an oblivion modder for 3-4 years, mostly doing textures and models in 3dsmax. So, i mostly want to work with texturing, and if needed, i can do any kind of sound/music work. Im a sound engineer, so that's what i can do the best.

User avatar
equs
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 63
Joined: 14 Dec 2017

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby equs » Oct 5 2018, 11:01

Just an idea, modifying the dragon race a little bit could make the gameplay a little bit better. Maybe giving dragons the ability to wear weapons. They can wear rings, so why not a weapon?. Ok of coure no bows or armors, but a spear, a mace, or something else a dragon could hold in the hands. Also the dragon race is extremely overpowered. Too many life points and the fire breath attack is too strong and fast. Also the possibility to transform a dragon to a lich, or Draco-Lich would be awesome (if someone could create one). A Draco-Lich maybe could learn Dark Magic like a necromancer but loose some attribute points.
What you guis think about it?

User avatar
Templayer
Blood Fury
Blood Fury
Posts: 479
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 5 2018, 11:56

equs wrote:Just an idea, modifying the dragon race a little bit could make the gameplay a little bit better. Maybe giving dragons the ability to wear weapons. They can wear rings, so why not a weapon?. Ok of coure no bows or armors, but a spear, a mace, or something else a dragon could hold in the hands. Also the dragon race is extremely overpowered. Too many life points and the fire breath attack is too strong and fast. Also the possibility to transform a dragon to a lich, or Draco-Lich would be awesome (if someone could create one). A Draco-Lich maybe could learn Dark Magic like a necromancer but loose some attribute points.
What you guis think about it?

Templayer wrote:Dragons' revamp: Since the dragon ranged attack is an override that overrides the melee attack and Rodril said that it can be removed, we could remove it and instead put something more funny there: Non-removable items. Three of them - "dual wielding" a "claw weapon" and a "maw weapon", with the ranged weapon being the "Breath weapon" (all of them using the Dragon Ability skill as a base, the Breath weapon being essentially a bow, with grandmaster it could shoot twice, with the projectiles changed from arrows to the current breath attack projectile), while the claw weapon + maw weapon synergizing with the Unarmed skill (like how the Staff + unarmed works, but instead Dragon Ability + unarmed). And an dragon scales as an armour that uses the Dragon Ability skill and synergizes with dodging. And the Breath weapon having different elemental effects depending on the colour of the dragon would be awesome. And having all the dragon types, but we would need a master painter for that.
MMMerge Task Tracker (= Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: http://www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Daedros
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 110
Joined: 04 Apr 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Daedros » Oct 5 2018, 12:13

If Races/Classes were ever separated, i'd love to see Korbu become a hireable Nosferatu Black Knight after completing the Nosferatu promotion quest in M&M8. That'd be badass. I always imagined Korbu as some sort of Death Knight.

User avatar
Templayer
Blood Fury
Blood Fury
Posts: 479
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 5 2018, 12:16

Screw it! I'm making the trackers myself!

They are going to be pretty rudimentary, though.
MMMerge Task Tracker (= Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: http://www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Blood Fury
Blood Fury
Posts: 479
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 5 2018, 12:36

Here are rudimentary trackers. You can see me work on them in real time, if I remember some guy using it in school back when correctly.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xf4 ... sp=sharing

For Rodril and Grayface - please give me your Google account names, so I can add you as editors.

For people that want to contribute and report - send me something I can show on the trackers, etc. For example - repainting jobs - a picture of the given character wearing it. Or for bug tracking - tell me about the bug and I will write it down there. I have read every single post in this thread and from now on, I will track the reported bugs into the tracker, actively. I will however not go back the thread / remember stuff already reported, so it's going to be from now on.

Anyway, there are three paperdoll types in MM8, correct? Normal, Minotaur, Troll? Or are there more?
MMMerge Task Tracker (= Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: http://www.youtube.com/Templayer


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests