Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Daedros
Scout
Scout

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Unread postby Daedros » 17 Feb 2021, 23:10

Another thing. There are certain Classes that don't seem to appear as Random Hirelings in Training Centers. I've been specifically looking to get a Goblin Master (Monk), and have yet to see any Masters pop up in Training Centers. My party has aligned itself with the Pit (Evil), yet i see the Celeste (Good) aligned classes (such as Archmage) pop up in Training Centers, yet no Masters. Plenty of Monks, Initiates, and Ninjas though.
Master > Ninja, the Expert Body/Mind/Spirit is far more useful than the Master Disarm.

I've spent about 3 hours save scumming and TPing around Harmondale/Erathia/Tularean Forest, and have yet to see any Master pop up in a Training Center.
I also have yet to see any Vampire, Troll, or Dragon show up in Antagarich's Training Centers. Seen Minotaurs and Dark Elves show up in them.
Last edited by Daedros on 18 Feb 2021, 01:04, edited 3 times in total.

xyllia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xyllia » 18 Feb 2021, 03:21

Yeah, that's a bug I noticed in the Merge Mod -- when you try to rest, you really need to touch absolutely nothing. Don't touch the keyboard, don't touch the mouse, until you get to the desired time.

What's happening is the game pauses during the rest to calculate things, I assume and if you click anything, it interrupts the rest and that's what you're seeing. I've tried just not clicking anything even if it seemingly stops and it will resume after a second or two.
I also have yet to see any Vampire, Troll, or Dragon show up in Antagarich's Training Centers. Seen Minotaurs and Dark Elves show up in them.
Not sure why you need/want those classes to show up in training centers when there are already 3 of each of those to recruit in Jadame?

If you started in Antagarich, then you likely started with a group that you rolled, and if you started in Jadame, you already should have those classes available for recruitment?

Not sure I get what the issue is.
Last edited by xyllia on 18 Feb 2021, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 18 Feb 2021, 07:56

xyllia wrote:Yeah, that's a bug I noticed in the Merge Mod -- when you try to rest, you really need to touch absolutely nothing. Don't touch the keyboard, don't touch the mouse, until you get to the desired time.

What's happening is the game pauses during the rest to calculate things, I assume and if you click anything, it interrupts the rest and that's what you're seeing. I've tried just not clicking anything even if it seemingly stops and it will resume after a second or two.
Not sure why you need/want those classes to show up in training centers when there are already 3 of each of those to recruit in Jadame?

If you started in Antagarich, then you likely started with a group that you rolled, and if you started in Jadame, you already should have those classes available for recruitment?

Not sure I get what the issue is.
I'm playing with Templayer's Race Unlocker option, which let's you use any Class with any Race. For example, the party i created consists of a Vampire Necromancer (now a Vampire Lich),a Vampire Cleric (Priest of the Light), a Troll Knight (Black Knight), a Troll Monk (Ninja), and a Dark Elf Thief (Assassin). I haven't seen Vampire, Troll, or Dragon show up as a Race option in Antagarich, while i've seen Human, Elf, Dwarf, Goblin, Minotaur, and Dark Elves of various Classes show up in Antagarich.
Been specifically trying to get a Goblin Master, because Goblin allows for GM Armsmaster then. With GM Armsmaster, the Goblin Master will deal more damage than my Troll Ninja, and with a Bone Staff of Darkness, would therefore also regain more HP, making him both deadlier and tankier.
Last edited by Daedros on 18 Feb 2021, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 18 Feb 2021, 11:13

I didn't know Templayer's Race Unlocker carried over to playable hirelings. I thought it was just for the initial character creation.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 18 Feb 2021, 20:31

Please let me ask again, where is positioning for statbl, statG, statR and statY in turn based for MM7 interface coded? It's so down off when I switch, does it do it to you too? :'(

Narsil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Narsil » 19 Feb 2021, 14:23

Hi, first of all, I love this mod. This is all I was dreaming about.

I have started with MM6, where I can find trainers for ID Monster, Dark Elf abilities? How I can join path of Light/Dark?

Also, "teacher locations" part in journal is always empty no matter how many teachers I met

Dess
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dess » 19 Feb 2021, 16:06

Narsil wrote:Hi, first of all, I love this mod. This is all I was dreaming about.

I have started with MM6, where I can find trainers for ID Monster, Dark Elf abilities? How I can join path of Light/Dark?

Also, "teacher locations" part in journal is always empty no matter how many teachers I met
It sure is a great mod, isnt it?

As for your questions there is no ID monster or Dark elf trainers in the MM6 continent, and no Dark elf trainer in the MM7 one either.

In MM6 your High Priest and Master Wizard promotions (the second one) will give both classes a Master in both light and dark, however you can see the Light and Dark guild membership sellers about picking a path, and it can be done per character, your whole party doesnt have to pick the same thing, and it will swap your classes to Priest of Light or Dark, and Archmage or Master Necromancer. Be warned though that if you put points into light magic as a Master Wizard and then switch class it will make you lose those skillpoints as well as the spells you have learned in light magic and vice versa.

Teacher locations is a bit wonky, sometimes it works on other continents.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 19 Feb 2021, 17:36

raekuul wrote:I didn't know Templayer's Race Unlocker carried over to playable hirelings. I thought it was just for the initial character creation.
Mercenaries classes are based on continent starting ones. Though you might end with random class (IIRC in MM8 with Party[0] being tier0 class).
Roxterat wrote:Please let me ask again, where is positioning for statbl, statG, statR and statY in turn based for MM7 interface coded? It's so down off when I switch, does it do it to you too? :'(
Data/patch.UI.txt ?
Narsil wrote:Also, "teacher locations" part in journal is always empty no matter how many teachers I met
MM6 teacher autonotes are absent. Their texts should be written from scratch. (And events should be modified after that.)
Last edited by cthscr on 19 Feb 2021, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 19 Feb 2021, 20:36

cthscr wrote:
Roxterat wrote:Please let me ask again, where is positioning for statbl, statG, statR and statY in turn based for MM7 interface coded? It's so down off when I switch, does it do it to you too? :'(
Data/patch.UI.txt ?
I gotta try that one right away!

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 19 Feb 2021, 20:56

Actually I don't see MM7 Interface coded there, it's either elsewhere or I'm blind..

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 20 Feb 2021, 06:41

Roxterat wrote:Actually I don't see MM7 Interface coded there, it's either elsewhere or I'm blind..
Well, try to look at 'Additional UI.txt'/'Additional UI.lua' then.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 20 Feb 2021, 07:07

It feels like 'Additional UI.txt' is missing a whole lot of code to regulate the turn based phase of interface, it does contain real time interface.. Also somehow front UI to cover the bluish MM8 original portrait is missing, like I wish to know how to do that one.. ^^

darkdill
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby darkdill » 20 Feb 2021, 22:25

cthscr wrote:
darkdill wrote:
cthscr wrote:BolsterMul is not a static multiplier but an argument for functions of 'Data/Tables/Bolster - formulas.txt'. Yes, each attribute's change is done by its own function. Change them at your please.
I know, but that's tricky to work with. Any time I've tried to change the formula, the effect ends up being really wonky.
Well, if you can fill spreadsheet with each monster default stats and desired stats - you'll be able to create your own formulae. Tweaking existing formulae with 'trial and error' method is not the best way to achieve anything.
Easiest example:

Code: Select all

def	HP	HP*(1+BolsterMul)
def	MaxDamage	MaxDamage*(1+2*BolsterMul)
Those values seem kinda weak.

For HP, in particular, I was thinking something like:
max(HP, (MonSettings.HPBySize and MonsterHeight/160 or 1)*((HP/MonsterLevel*(PartyLevel-MonsterLevel))*((BolsterMul+1)^BolsterMul))/#)

I just can't decide on what # should be. If I use MonsterPower, it can cause things like Gold Dragons to have less HP than Blue Dragons.
Last edited by darkdill on 20 Feb 2021, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 22 Feb 2021, 21:21

How about walk/run on snow? I tried making that happen but still could not..
I've heard Greyface is comming back to town, might save us once again.

TrentWoodruff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TrentWoodruff » 23 Feb 2021, 10:10

I have downloaded the merge between VI-VII-VIII and I want to play it, but I find the new "mouselook" way of moving around the map so far removed from how the original games did things that I don't know how to fight. How do I pick out which goblin (for example) I want to shoot at or hit? I have no cursor to select with.

Also, I can't figure out how to turn off the snow/rain. It's painfully "thick" and really makes it difficult to see anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kaikhorus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaikhorus » 23 Feb 2021, 11:07

TrentWoodruff wrote:I have downloaded the merge between VI-VII-VIII and I want to play it, but I find the new "mouselook" way of moving around the map so far removed from how the original games did things that I don't know how to fight. How do I pick out which goblin (for example) I want to shoot at or hit? I have no cursor to select with.

Also, I can't figure out how to turn off the snow/rain. It's painfully "thick" and really makes it difficult to see anything.

If you press caps lock, you will toggle between mouselook and the original mouse moving across the screen interface. If you'd like to try learning the mouselook style, there is a small pointer in the centre that you will have to aim at the goblin you want to shoot/swing at. It's sort of emulating a more FPS style.

For the extra weather effects (which I fully agree with!), you can go to the options menu and you'll see an extra settings section at the top where you can turn them on/off amongst other things.

Hope this helps you enjoy the Merge :)
Last edited by Kaikhorus on 23 Feb 2021, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 23 Feb 2021, 11:42

yeah, I turn the weather effects off as a matter of course - the games all start in January and for whatever reason Merge decides that that means snow so thick it causes my machine to choke trying to process it.

TrentWoodruff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TrentWoodruff » 23 Feb 2021, 22:29

Kaikhorus wrote:
TrentWoodruff wrote:I have downloaded the merge between VI-VII-VIII and I want to play it, but I find the new "mouselook" way of moving around the map so far removed from how the original games did things that I don't know how to fight. How do I pick out which goblin (for example) I want to shoot at or hit? I have no cursor to select with.

If you press caps lock, you will toggle between mouselook and the original mouse moving across the screen interface. If you'd like to try learning the mouselook style, there is a small pointer in the centre that you will have to aim at the goblin you want to shoot/swing at. It's sort of emulating a more FPS style.

For the extra weather effects (which I fully agree with!), you can go to the options menu and you'll see an extra settings section at the top where you can turn them on/off amongst other things.

Hope this helps you enjoy the Merge :)
Perfect - thank you so much!

xyllia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xyllia » 24 Feb 2021, 13:06

If you want to turn mouselook off and go back to original, there's a setting in the .ini file for that:

\mm8.ini

Line 21: MouseLook=1

change that to

Line 21: MouseLook=0

Blackjack
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Blackjack » 25 Feb 2021, 03:40

I am having a hard time getting this to work. I followed the installation instructions and the game starts up fine, but after I choose my starting continent, make my party, and click Okay an error window pops up. After closing it, the game starts like normal but I only have one character in my party.

Code: Select all

...ight and Magic 8\Scripts\General\MenuChooseCharacter.lua:320: attempt to index a nil value

stack traceback:
	...ight and Magic 8\Scripts\General\MenuChooseCharacter.lua: in function 'PrepareChar'
	...ight and Magic 8\Scripts\General\MenuChooseCharacter.lua:516: in function 'v'
	Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of 'PrepareChar':
	(*temporary) = 0
	(*temporary) = 0

local variables of 'PrepareChar':
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x220caa38)
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x220caaf0)
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x05582b70)
	(*temporary) = 0
	(*temporary) = 38
	(*temporary) = 1
	(*temporary) = 0