Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Daedros
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 144
Joined: 04 Apr 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Daedros » Feb 17 2021, 23:10

Another thing. There are certain Classes that don't seem to appear as Random Hirelings in Training Centers. I've been specifically looking to get a Goblin Master (Monk), and have yet to see any Masters pop up in Training Centers. My party has aligned itself with the Pit (Evil), yet i see the Celeste (Good) aligned classes (such as Archmage) pop up in Training Centers, yet no Masters. Plenty of Monks, Initiates, and Ninjas though.
Master > Ninja, the Expert Body/Mind/Spirit is far more useful than the Master Disarm.

I've spent about 3 hours save scumming and TPing around Harmondale/Erathia/Tularean Forest, and have yet to see any Master pop up in a Training Center.
I also have yet to see any Vampire, Troll, or Dragon show up in Antagarich's Training Centers. Seen Minotaurs and Dark Elves show up in them.
Last edited by Daedros on Feb 18 2021, 1:04, edited 3 times in total.

xyllia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 12
Joined: 24 Jan 2021

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby xyllia » Feb 18 2021, 3:21

Yeah, that's a bug I noticed in the Merge Mod -- when you try to rest, you really need to touch absolutely nothing. Don't touch the keyboard, don't touch the mouse, until you get to the desired time.

What's happening is the game pauses during the rest to calculate things, I assume and if you click anything, it interrupts the rest and that's what you're seeing. I've tried just not clicking anything even if it seemingly stops and it will resume after a second or two.

I also have yet to see any Vampire, Troll, or Dragon show up in Antagarich's Training Centers. Seen Minotaurs and Dark Elves show up in them.


Not sure why you need/want those classes to show up in training centers when there are already 3 of each of those to recruit in Jadame?

If you started in Antagarich, then you likely started with a group that you rolled, and if you started in Jadame, you already should have those classes available for recruitment?

Not sure I get what the issue is.
Last edited by xyllia on Feb 18 2021, 3:24, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Daedros
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 144
Joined: 04 Apr 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Daedros » Feb 18 2021, 7:56

xyllia wrote:Yeah, that's a bug I noticed in the Merge Mod -- when you try to rest, you really need to touch absolutely nothing. Don't touch the keyboard, don't touch the mouse, until you get to the desired time.

What's happening is the game pauses during the rest to calculate things, I assume and if you click anything, it interrupts the rest and that's what you're seeing. I've tried just not clicking anything even if it seemingly stops and it will resume after a second or two.

I also have yet to see any Vampire, Troll, or Dragon show up in Antagarich's Training Centers. Seen Minotaurs and Dark Elves show up in them.


Not sure why you need/want those classes to show up in training centers when there are already 3 of each of those to recruit in Jadame?

If you started in Antagarich, then you likely started with a group that you rolled, and if you started in Jadame, you already should have those classes available for recruitment?

Not sure I get what the issue is.

I'm playing with Templayer's Race Unlocker option, which let's you use any Class with any Race. For example, the party i created consists of a Vampire Necromancer (now a Vampire Lich),a Vampire Cleric (Priest of the Light), a Troll Knight (Black Knight), a Troll Monk (Ninja), and a Dark Elf Thief (Assassin). I haven't seen Vampire, Troll, or Dragon show up as a Race option in Antagarich, while i've seen Human, Elf, Dwarf, Goblin, Minotaur, and Dark Elves of various Classes show up in Antagarich.
Been specifically trying to get a Goblin Master, because Goblin allows for GM Armsmaster then. With GM Armsmaster, the Goblin Master will deal more damage than my Troll Ninja, and with a Bone Staff of Darkness, would therefore also regain more HP, making him both deadlier and tankier.
Last edited by Daedros on Feb 18 2021, 9:00, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
Scout
Scout
Posts: 172
Joined: 05 Jul 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby raekuul » Feb 18 2021, 11:13

I didn't know Templayer's Race Unlocker carried over to playable hirelings. I thought it was just for the initial character creation.

User avatar
Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 66
Joined: 28 Jun 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Roxterat » Feb 18 2021, 20:31

Please let me ask again, where is positioning for statbl, statG, statR and statY in turn based for MM7 interface coded? It's so down off when I switch, does it do it to you too? :'(

Narsil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 7
Joined: 21 Jul 2012

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Narsil » Feb 19 2021, 14:23

Hi, first of all, I love this mod. This is all I was dreaming about.

I have started with MM6, where I can find trainers for ID Monster, Dark Elf abilities? How I can join path of Light/Dark?

Also, "teacher locations" part in journal is always empty no matter how many teachers I met

Dess
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 39
Joined: 20 Apr 2008

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Dess » Feb 19 2021, 16:06

Narsil wrote:Hi, first of all, I love this mod. This is all I was dreaming about.

I have started with MM6, where I can find trainers for ID Monster, Dark Elf abilities? How I can join path of Light/Dark?

Also, "teacher locations" part in journal is always empty no matter how many teachers I met


It sure is a great mod, isnt it?

As for your questions there is no ID monster or Dark elf trainers in the MM6 continent, and no Dark elf trainer in the MM7 one either.

In MM6 your High Priest and Master Wizard promotions (the second one) will give both classes a Master in both light and dark, however you can see the Light and Dark guild membership sellers about picking a path, and it can be done per character, your whole party doesnt have to pick the same thing, and it will swap your classes to Priest of Light or Dark, and Archmage or Master Necromancer. Be warned though that if you put points into light magic as a Master Wizard and then switch class it will make you lose those skillpoints as well as the spells you have learned in light magic and vice versa.

Teacher locations is a bit wonky, sometimes it works on other continents.

cthscr
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 267
Joined: 12 Jan 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby cthscr » Feb 19 2021, 17:36

raekuul wrote:I didn't know Templayer's Race Unlocker carried over to playable hirelings. I thought it was just for the initial character creation.

Mercenaries classes are based on continent starting ones. Though you might end with random class (IIRC in MM8 with Party[0] being tier0 class).
Roxterat wrote:Please let me ask again, where is positioning for statbl, statG, statR and statY in turn based for MM7 interface coded? It's so down off when I switch, does it do it to you too? :'(

Data/patch.UI.txt ?
Narsil wrote:Also, "teacher locations" part in journal is always empty no matter how many teachers I met

MM6 teacher autonotes are absent. Their texts should be written from scratch. (And events should be modified after that.)
Last edited by cthscr on Feb 19 2021, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 66
Joined: 28 Jun 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Roxterat » Feb 19 2021, 20:36

cthscr wrote:
Roxterat wrote:Please let me ask again, where is positioning for statbl, statG, statR and statY in turn based for MM7 interface coded? It's so down off when I switch, does it do it to you too? :'(

Data/patch.UI.txt ?

I gotta try that one right away!

User avatar
Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 66
Joined: 28 Jun 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Roxterat » Feb 19 2021, 20:56

Actually I don't see MM7 Interface coded there, it's either elsewhere or I'm blind..

cthscr
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 267
Joined: 12 Jan 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby cthscr » Feb 20 2021, 6:41

Roxterat wrote:Actually I don't see MM7 Interface coded there, it's either elsewhere or I'm blind..

Well, try to look at 'Additional UI.txt'/'Additional UI.lua' then.

User avatar
Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 66
Joined: 28 Jun 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Roxterat » Feb 20 2021, 7:07

It feels like 'Additional UI.txt' is missing a whole lot of code to regulate the turn based phase of interface, it does contain real time interface.. Also somehow front UI to cover the bluish MM8 original portrait is missing, like I wish to know how to do that one.. ^^

darkdill
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 27
Joined: 06 Apr 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby darkdill » Feb 20 2021, 22:25

cthscr wrote:
darkdill wrote:
cthscr wrote:BolsterMul is not a static multiplier but an argument for functions of 'Data/Tables/Bolster - formulas.txt'. Yes, each attribute's change is done by its own function. Change them at your please.

I know, but that's tricky to work with. Any time I've tried to change the formula, the effect ends up being really wonky.

Well, if you can fill spreadsheet with each monster default stats and desired stats - you'll be able to create your own formulae. Tweaking existing formulae with 'trial and error' method is not the best way to achieve anything.
Easiest example:

Code: Select all

def   HP   HP*(1+BolsterMul)
def   MaxDamage   MaxDamage*(1+2*BolsterMul)

Those values seem kinda weak.

For HP, in particular, I was thinking something like:
max(HP, (MonSettings.HPBySize and MonsterHeight/160 or 1)*((HP/MonsterLevel*(PartyLevel-MonsterLevel))*((BolsterMul+1)^BolsterMul))/#)

I just can't decide on what # should be. If I use MonsterPower, it can cause things like Gold Dragons to have less HP than Blue Dragons.
Last edited by darkdill on Feb 20 2021, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 66
Joined: 28 Jun 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Roxterat » Feb 22 2021, 21:21

How about walk/run on snow? I tried making that happen but still could not..
I've heard Greyface is comming back to town, might save us once again.

TrentWoodruff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 5
Joined: 23 Feb 2021

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby TrentWoodruff » Feb 23 2021, 10:10

I have downloaded the merge between VI-VII-VIII and I want to play it, but I find the new "mouselook" way of moving around the map so far removed from how the original games did things that I don't know how to fight. How do I pick out which goblin (for example) I want to shoot at or hit? I have no cursor to select with.

Also, I can't figure out how to turn off the snow/rain. It's painfully "thick" and really makes it difficult to see anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kaikhorus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 17
Joined: 18 Mar 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Kaikhorus » Feb 23 2021, 11:07

TrentWoodruff wrote:I have downloaded the merge between VI-VII-VIII and I want to play it, but I find the new "mouselook" way of moving around the map so far removed from how the original games did things that I don't know how to fight. How do I pick out which goblin (for example) I want to shoot at or hit? I have no cursor to select with.

Also, I can't figure out how to turn off the snow/rain. It's painfully "thick" and really makes it difficult to see anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.


If you press caps lock, you will toggle between mouselook and the original mouse moving across the screen interface. If you'd like to try learning the mouselook style, there is a small pointer in the centre that you will have to aim at the goblin you want to shoot/swing at. It's sort of emulating a more FPS style.

For the extra weather effects (which I fully agree with!), you can go to the options menu and you'll see an extra settings section at the top where you can turn them on/off amongst other things.

Hope this helps you enjoy the Merge :)
Last edited by Kaikhorus on Feb 23 2021, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
Scout
Scout
Posts: 172
Joined: 05 Jul 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby raekuul » Feb 23 2021, 11:42

yeah, I turn the weather effects off as a matter of course - the games all start in January and for whatever reason Merge decides that that means snow so thick it causes my machine to choke trying to process it.

TrentWoodruff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 5
Joined: 23 Feb 2021

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby TrentWoodruff » Feb 23 2021, 22:29

Kaikhorus wrote:
TrentWoodruff wrote:I have downloaded the merge between VI-VII-VIII and I want to play it, but I find the new "mouselook" way of moving around the map so far removed from how the original games did things that I don't know how to fight. How do I pick out which goblin (for example) I want to shoot at or hit? I have no cursor to select with.

Also, I can't figure out how to turn off the snow/rain. It's painfully "thick" and really makes it difficult to see anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.


If you press caps lock, you will toggle between mouselook and the original mouse moving across the screen interface. If you'd like to try learning the mouselook style, there is a small pointer in the centre that you will have to aim at the goblin you want to shoot/swing at. It's sort of emulating a more FPS style.

For the extra weather effects (which I fully agree with!), you can go to the options menu and you'll see an extra settings section at the top where you can turn them on/off amongst other things.

Hope this helps you enjoy the Merge :)


Perfect - thank you so much!

xyllia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 12
Joined: 24 Jan 2021

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby xyllia » Feb 24 2021, 13:06

If you want to turn mouselook off and go back to original, there's a setting in the .ini file for that:

\mm8.ini

Line 21: MouseLook=1

change that to

Line 21: MouseLook=0

Blackjack
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 1
Joined: 25 Feb 2021

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Blackjack » Feb 25 2021, 3:40

I am having a hard time getting this to work. I followed the installation instructions and the game starts up fine, but after I choose my starting continent, make my party, and click Okay an error window pops up. After closing it, the game starts like normal but I only have one character in my party.

Code: Select all

...ight and Magic 8\Scripts\General\MenuChooseCharacter.lua:320: attempt to index a nil value

stack traceback:
   ...ight and Magic 8\Scripts\General\MenuChooseCharacter.lua: in function 'PrepareChar'
   ...ight and Magic 8\Scripts\General\MenuChooseCharacter.lua:516: in function 'v'
   Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of 'PrepareChar':
   (*temporary) = 0
   (*temporary) = 0

local variables of 'PrepareChar':
   (*temporary) = (table: 0x220caa38)
   (*temporary) = (table: 0x220caaf0)
   (*temporary) = (table: 0x05582b70)
   (*temporary) = 0
   (*temporary) = 38
   (*temporary) = 1
   (*temporary) = 0
   (*temporary) = nil
   (*temporary) = 6
   (*temporary) = 44
   (*temporary) = 0
   (*temporary) = "Olive"
   (*temporary) = "Human"
   (*temporary) = 1.8731260036954e-279
   (*temporary) = 1.0624094532461e-312
   (*temporary) = "attempt to index a nil value"


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 19 guests