Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Unread postby Roxterat » 14 Sep 2020, 15:34

To devs:
What NPC number should I use when I create a monster and I want it to say "Dont cause any trouble!" as a guard?

Archheretic
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Archheretic » 17 Sep 2020, 08:33

First of all thanks for this mod!
Is there a way to add Emerald Island to the Dimensional door location? I kinda want as close to the vanilla experience when entering a new continent.
Last edited by Archheretic on 17 Sep 2020, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 18 Sep 2020, 06:45

If you go to Erathia, you will be invited for a Harmondale competition, and ship from Erathia leaves on Sunday. NPC will talk to you once you enter Erathia.

Mercs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mercs » 19 Sep 2020, 16:33

I've been playing this mod for a while now and I totally love it. Thank you so much!

One question though, are you planning on doing anything with damage calculation formula for dual-wield? I actually wanted to submit a bug about my axe skill not giving bonus damage when used with a sword in the other hand (by a Knight), but read into it and realised it "works as intended"... does it really? I was kinda looking forward to axe+sword for insane lategame party :( Thanks.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 19 Sep 2020, 18:21

Roxterat wrote:What NPC number should I use when I create a monster and I want it to say "Dont cause any trouble!" as a guard?
0. They aren't NPCs (as in NPCData). Check monster for Group.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 19 Sep 2020, 18:26

Roxterat wrote:Hey peeps!
I got an issue, I've let my character learn any skill and now, well, the UI for skills and skill point distribution is too small.
I mean, I seem to be able to enhance any Weapon, Armor and Misc skill, but Magic skills got somehow cut (I can't see Light, Vampire etc., only first 7 on the list).
Any way I can access those? The UI somehow doesn't seem to let the list expand for Magic skills..
Thanks!
To show Stealing I have patched mm8.exe. I suspect you have to inspect [binary] code near that asmpatch from Stealing.lua.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 19 Sep 2020, 18:59

pheYonyx wrote:
cthscr wrote:That's Minotaur Lich with Face=69 (icon files starts with "LMin"). Shown properly in my installation (with 'rodril-fixes' on top). Check your Data/icons.lod, Data/patch.icons.lod, 'Data/Tables/Character portraits.txt'.
How would i do that?
I don't understand anything code-related, might need a step by step for dummies.
Well, basic check is by files modification times. Looks to me like you may have different resources and scripts (like Data/*.lod not from v. 12.07.2020 from the first post).

Gethain22
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gethain22 » 20 Sep 2020, 00:13

I don't know if someone has asked this before. But is there anyway to change the color of the minimap background? the blue makes it kind of hard to see if there are treasures or other points of interest. Hopefully it is an easy solution but if there are steps and its laid out i can follow that.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!!

saaws
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby saaws » 20 Sep 2020, 05:25

Rodril wrote:
Wondersausage wrote:Help sure appreciated - Save game http://www.pcdominion.com/quicksave.lod
Thank you. I could not figure out, what causes that. When i load this savegame, guards are not hostile for me (at least in New Sorpigal).
Try to do following:
1. Put this file into "Data\Tables" folder, replacing existing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg1ynu8r5aaxh ... s.txt?dl=0
2. Launch game and load your savegame.
3. Enter any map with previously hostile guards, if they are hostile, open debug console with ctrl+f1 and execute this code with ctrl+enter:

Code: Select all

for i,v in Map.Monsters do
		if v.Group == 38 or v.Group == 55 then
			v.Hostile = false
		end
	end
4. Check if they will become hostile again anytime soon, and tell me if they do.
I need more time to understand what could cause it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPpomR_-zdA

I just finished MM6 portion of the mod, and as you can see in this youtube video I made, there was a error when I killed Reactor, it shows an error screen, then after ending video, guards in New Sorpigal attack me. If I follow this advice to de-hostilize the guards, afterwards should I undo the continent setup text file? Also when I ran this debugging, guards did stop attacking me but my reputation in MM6 continent stays -3499 Hated. does this mean when the map resets guards will attack me again?

Also, in MM7 wizard promotion, there is this bug it seems. I followed the installation word by word, clean gog install and only download the mod and then latest august update, no localization or any fan mod or anything.

But besides these issues, I thank you for doing this. I did finish 7 and 8 back in 2001, 2002 in Korea, but MM6's dated graphics always was a big challenge in addition to the difficulty and I am grateful for everyone's hard work. Kudos!
Last edited by saaws on 20 Sep 2020, 05:37, edited 2 times in total.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 21 Sep 2020, 05:13

Would be nice to have the ability to "respec" a character. As in refund all their skill points and set all their skills back to 1. Some hireable NPCs come with skill points in non-optimal skills. Maybe add a new craftable black potion that respecs the skill points of a character that drinks it.
Last edited by Daedros on 21 Sep 2020, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 21 Sep 2020, 10:04

Daedros wrote:Would be nice to have the ability to "respec" a character. As in refund all their skill points and set all their skills back to 1.
With 10% skillpoints penalty (rounded up). ;)

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 21 Sep 2020, 10:25

cthscr wrote:
Daedros wrote:Would be nice to have the ability to "respec" a character. As in refund all their skill points and set all their skills back to 1.
With 10% skillpoints penalty (rounded up). ;)
NOOOOOOO 8|

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 21 Sep 2020, 10:29

saaws wrote: If I follow this advice to de-hostilize the guards, afterwards should I undo the continent setup text file?
No, if you don't want attacks.
saaws wrote:my reputation in MM6 continent stays -3499 Hated. does this mean when the map resets guards will attack me again?
AFAIK, they should attack next time you enter map. If you undo change in continent settings.
saaws wrote:Also, in MM7 wizard promotion, there is this bug it seems. I followed the installation word by word, clean gog install and only download the mod and then latest august update, no localization or any fan mod or anything.

HeroOfPunk wrote:
@HeroOfPunk, someone has to tell Bryan!

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 24 Sep 2020, 02:52

cthscr wrote:
Roxterat wrote:What NPC number should I use when I create a monster and I want it to say "Dont cause any trouble!" as a guard?
For 0 they say the Lizardman line about pirates breaching through, I use this to summon:

local mon = SummonMonster(1, Party.X, Party.Y, Party.Z, true) --(ID, X, Y, Z, Gold)
mon.NPC_ID = 1 --(NPC ID)
mon.Hostile = false --(Hostility)

If I use lacal mon to summon it's always the same line about pirates, with or without mon.NPC_ID...

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 24 Sep 2020, 07:20

Roxterat wrote:
cthscr wrote:
For 0 they say the Lizardman line about pirates breaching through, I use this to summon:

local mon = SummonMonster(1, Party.X, Party.Y, Party.Z, true) --(ID, X, Y, Z, Gold)
mon.NPC_ID = 1 --(NPC ID)
mon.Hostile = false --(Hostility)

If I use lacal mon to summon it's always the same line about pirates, with or without mon.NPC_ID...
Once again: regular peasants, guards, pirates - all have NPC_ID=0. Check mon.Group. Check mon.Group!

for k, v in Map.Monsters do
  print(k, v.NPC_ID, v.Id, v.Group, Game.MonstersTxt[v.Id].Name)
end

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 25 Sep 2020, 14:12

I want to report some bugs that were reported by other players from a Chinese MM community. And I saw you have already spotted the bugs and been discussing them.
pheYonyx wrote:
Roxterat wrote:
pheYonyx wrote: Lord Markham gave me the Feather for a quest by Norbert Thrush from Erathia while I was on the Emerald Island. He shouldn't have that dialogue option on the Island, only when he's in his manor in Tatalia. Because it's a response line, not a quest starter.
And there are WAY too many dialogues that are just TOO opened for a player to deal with, Markham is the slightest. You can say Artifact to Catherine or Elf king and they just reward you. Just like that. :D
Oh and Oracle gives you a crapload of stuff too...
Neither of those gave me anything when I clicked that button but when I tried to run a test start in mm8, Dadeross, minotaur caravaneer in the Town Hall of Dagger Wound Island confirmed that Baltazar's Axe is genuine despite me just starting the game.
I don't really like that but now I will know to save before clicking and reloading if it will give me a free quest completion.
I just want to give some more details:
I can confirm that if you start a fresh game in Antagarich and go straight to Markham's, he will congrate you, give you the ship to Harmondale despite you having done nothing, then give you the Feather and the Norbert Thrush quest.

I can also confirm that this bug does not exist in 2020-07-12 version (and earlier versions), it exists only in the latest 2020-08-16 patched version.

Players from Chinese community also reported free quest completion bugs for: Dagger Wound yellow fever quest, troll village item finding quest, lich promotion quest, Power Stone quest, some Potion quests and many more.

I didn't verify these bugs other than the Markham one. Do they all exist in Version 2020-08-16 but not in earlier versions? If so, rolling back to 2020-07-12 may fix these bugs.

These bugs are pretty serious to the gameplay, hope they can be fixed soon in the next version.
Last edited by tomchen1989 on 25 Sep 2020, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 25 Sep 2020, 14:47

Ah got it. It seems these free quest completion bugs and dialogue mess are due to Version 2020-08-16's changes in the file Scripts/Structs/After/RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua. Although I don't fully understand what these changes were made for and how they result in the bugs, rolling back to RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua of Version 2020-07-12 may fix these bugs.

I uploaded RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua of Version 2020-07-12. You can download here. Put it in the folder Scripts/Structs/After/
Last edited by tomchen1989 on 25 Sep 2020, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

pheYonyx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pheYonyx » 26 Sep 2020, 03:22

tomchen1989 wrote:I don't fully understand what these changes were made for and how they result in the bugs
If I'm not mistaken, they were made for cross-game promotions adding up to three (four?) re-promotions in a different world in addition to already existing 2-4 lines NPC already had. Without that change new Promotion lines were not appearing.

I assume they result in bugs due to being applied universally to every NPC in every world which results in quest restrictions being ignored as well as ye old original QA notes.
cthscr wrote:someone has to tell Bryan!
It might be a problem. Last time I saw the only Bryan that fits was some 2013's C&C announcement/teaser/interview video.
There's also a similarly worded message hidden in mm7 involving Alice Hargreaves:

It should be impossible for you to see this right now.  If you are reading this, tell Bryan that the event and/or logic of this quest is messed up because you should either be good attempting the Hero quest, or evil attempting the Villain quest and you are apparently neither.
cthscr wrote:Well, basic check is by files modification times. Looks to me like you may have different resources and scripts (like Data/*.lod not from v. 12.07.2020 from the first post).
Well, I had the clean installation from 12.06.2019 that I haven't touched since 10.08.2019. I came here to see that there were new updates, so I followed the main post's instructions (how I understood them):
I grabbed the files from mega link titled 'Update' and pasted them in, confirming the replacement for all files with the same name.
Then I grabbed the files from dropbox link titled 'Patch 16.08.2020' and did the same. And went in.
Because I started in mm7's world with a couple of self-imposed restrictions, it took me a while to come across a problem.
Last edited by pheYonyx on 26 Sep 2020, 03:41, edited 3 times in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 26 Sep 2020, 06:26

pheYonyx wrote:I grabbed the files from mega link titled 'Update'
Might be a problem. Update could cover version of 19.04.2020. If you have earlier version, I'd recommend to use main file 'MM678 Merged 12.07.2020'.
Minotaur images were patched by Data/patch.icons.lod of 2019-10-06. This file isn't present in Update.

If one uses 'master' or 'rodril-fixes' branch of Community repo, he can check files by calling in debug console (Ctrl-F1):

CheckFiles()
Current output for 'rodril-fixes' (because of fresh monster spells fix):

---- Log File Output: -------------------------------------------------------------
Scripts/General/MiscTweaks.lua: checksum mistmatch
Last edited by cthscr on 26 Sep 2020, 06:37, edited 2 times in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 26 Sep 2020, 06:55

tomchen1989 wrote:It seems these free quest completion bugs and dialogue mess are due to Version 2020-08-16's changes in the file Scripts/Structs/After/RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua.
Looks like these changes aren't in git (see https://gitlab.com/letr.rod/mmmerge), so Community branch was unaffected.

Return to “Might and Magic”