Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Unread postby raekuul » 05 Mar 2020, 23:00

AllVladin wrote:Hi fellas,

I came across an interesting question. Do bolsted monsters give more XP per kill? And if not, why?

Thanks,

AV.
It was decided to not increase Per-Kill XP in order to keep player strength in check. I believe this is still in consideration for the Bolster Rework, though.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 05 Mar 2020, 23:27

NotABroom wrote:Are monsters that are needed for bounty supposed to spawn randomly in the map where you accept the quest? First I had a random priest of baa in the Tularean Forest. And this time I had a lonely crusader spawning. He showed a lot of courage when he single handedly took on the fight with the entire Pit.
Yep, it's explained in the tracker, except that Jadame still works the same.

NotABroom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NotABroom » 06 Mar 2020, 13:23

eilacomeva wrote:
NotABroom wrote:Are monsters that are needed for bounty supposed to spawn randomly in the map where you accept the quest? First I had a random priest of baa in the Tularean Forest. And this time I had a lonely crusader spawning. He showed a lot of courage when he single handedly took on the fight with the entire Pit.
Yep, it's explained in the tracker, except that Jadame still works the same.
Ah, thanks for the info. I actually really like the idea. But it can produce some funny situations (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

AllVladin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AllVladin » 06 Mar 2020, 15:11

raekuul wrote:

I came across an interesting question. Do bolsted monsters give more XP per kill? And if not, why?

Thanks,

AV.
It was decided to not increase Per-Kill XP in order to keep player strength in check. I believe this is still in consideration for the Bolster Rework, though.
Well the problem with this (in my case with continual full journey 6-7-8 without hopping) is that as soon as you hit bolstered monsters in MM7, you became weaker and weaker. The main cause is, that you are unable to upgrade your gear any more. XP then goes wery slowly up and the 1lvl difference in your strenght is minor.

Is there an option to enable dropped/shopped items bolstering? In that case you can progress continuously with your oponents and you can go throught all 3 games.
Also it is sad, that you stay basically the whole MM7 and MM8 with your gear from late-game MM6.

Thanks,
AV

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 06 Mar 2020, 19:21

Bolster is relative to your party level and how many relics/artefacts you have, so the longer you wait to start hopping continents the worse the power/reward disparity will be.
Last edited by raekuul on 06 Mar 2020, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 07 Mar 2020, 11:18

The problem with current Monster Bolstering is that when you have a very high level such as this:

And you set Bolster to maximum (200%) the HP gets so exponentially high that it starts to glitch out:

Some monsters will have a ton of health but the bar shows as red (enemy hasn't been damaged yet), possibly because there's a limit on the engine.

Other monsters will even get negative values, so they can be one shotted (if you land the hit), breaking the Bolster mechanic completely.

Greenage3348
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Greenage3348 » 07 Mar 2020, 16:47

Hoping to get some help. I downloaded the merge files from this thread. With or without greyface the merge doesn't allow me to click on quests. I can start the game and make a party on any island but when I click quests the NPCs ignore the fact that I've clicked anywhere.

I am taking the following steps to set up the game.

Install 8
Paste the files into 8s folder overwriting any currently existing. (Am able to start, unable to click quests showing me the problem is here already)
Install the current greyface patch. Problem still exists. Any help? Id love to replay these with the patch.

KeyOfGeneralUse
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KeyOfGeneralUse » 08 Mar 2020, 11:17

1.) I've found a trainer for the normal rank Dark Elf skill in Alvar. As the Troll race and a non-troll class, can I learn the Troll's normal rank Regeneration skill from a Trainer?

2.) Can I switch classes mid game? E.g. Start as a Troll (class) and switch to a Monk later?
Last edited by KeyOfGeneralUse on 08 Mar 2020, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 08 Mar 2020, 13:00

1) Regeneration is taught in temples

2) That's... never been a feature.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Mar 2020, 13:20

Toby wrote:Good Evening, everyone. I'm the new guy, Toby (actually I have been around a long time but I never intervened until now). I hope I can help Templayer, Spectra and everyone else who contributed to the merge to make this piece of art a little bit better for everyone. :D
Toby got pretty much most if not all topics from the Suggestion Tracker into GitLab as Issues, which must've been A LOT OF WORK, so big kudos to him for that!

At the same time I did move most of the Implementation Queue into GitLab (assets and stuff that is already finished, but needs to be implemented).

Both of those are too numerous to post, so check out the entire Issues. If you want to see the Suggestions, filter Issues based on the suggestion label. If you want to see Issues from the Implementation Queue, filter based on the implementation label.

https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues

Also to avoid people thinking Issues are problems. Issues do not have to be problems. But I agree that the naming GitLab gave to its features is kinda confusing. :S
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Mar 2020, 13:24

Yes. Even though that is a custom feature and might need fine tuning. Also they shouldn't appear in cities and towns, and should also be able to spawn inside sub-areas of a map (i.e. dungeons in a map). Makes bounty hunting easier and also much more fun. Also they should be closer to the party level I think (if not, we need to make it into an Issue).
NotABroom wrote: Ah, thanks for the info. I actually really like the idea. But it can produce some funny situations (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).
Well, we had Flying Sharks and Kreegan Reactors as bounty hunts before, so .... we already limited that somewhat. :D

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Mar 2020, 13:25

Thanks,

AV.
This was discussed many times before - it is a vicious cycle. If they give out more XP, you gain more XP, thus the bolster needs to bolster monsters further. Which would make them give you more XP ... it is a circle of problems. Very hard to balance.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Mar 2020, 13:28

AllVladin wrote:
Well the problem with this (in my case with continual full journey 6-7-8 without hopping) is that as soon as you hit bolstered monsters in MM7, you became weaker and weaker. The main cause is, that you are unable to upgrade your gear any more. XP then goes wery slowly up and the 1lvl difference in your strenght is minor.

Is there an option to enable dropped/shopped items bolstering? In that case you can progress continuously with your oponents and you can go throught all 3 games.
Also it is sad, that you stay basically the whole MM7 and MM8 with your gear from late-game MM6.

Thanks,
AV
Do you know about the Community Branch on GitLab? That has a settings file for the Merge, and you can switch to Fanasilver's method of calculating enemy health, which should make it much easier. https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/ ... /README.md

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Mar 2020, 13:36

eilacomeva wrote:Btw, not sure if it's a bug or intended, but I found a zombie npc in enroth - https://ulozto.net/file/yMThSycsI5qo/zombie-npc-dod

Also the water master bug, the last two arguments to CastFollowerSpells are inverted for water masters and fly npcs;
try https://ulozto.net/file/0RtRyQ8qXOUs/wa ... er-bug-dod, edit Scripts/Global/NPCFollowersSkill.lua and see for yourself (I only verified the water master to be honest).
I propose to add a check to NPCFollowersSkill (or CastSpellDirect?) that checks if "Mastery" is a valid value, but I'm not sure what to do if it's not - show a message to the user? log to errorlog.txt?
Zombie NPC in Enroth
Water Master Bug

Savegames rehosted on GitLab as backup.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Mar 2020, 13:42

joanthedark wrote:The problem with current Monster Bolstering is that when you have a very high level such as this:

And you set Bolster to maximum (200%) the HP gets so exponentially high that it starts to glitch out:

Some monsters will have a ton of health but the bar shows as red (enemy hasn't been damaged yet), possibly because there's a limit on the engine.

Other monsters will even get negative values, so they can be one shotted (if you land the hit), breaking the Bolster mechanic completely.
Bolster Monster Overflow

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Mar 2020, 13:50

Greenage3348 wrote:Hoping to get some help. I downloaded the merge files from this thread. With or without greyface the merge doesn't allow me to click on quests. I can start the game and make a party on any island but when I click quests the NPCs ignore the fact that I've clicked anywhere.

Install 8
Paste the files into 8s folder overwriting any currently existing. (Am able to start, unable to click quests showing me the problem is here already)
Install the current greyface patch. Problem still exists. Any help? Id love to replay these with the patch.
I think the last time I came across this problem was that somebody tried to use the merge on a localized installation of MM8.

Do you have MM8 GOG version in English?

Does starting a new game allow you to select a continent / is there a different menu picture / (basically asking if you are sure you have installed the Merge correctly)

Also you need to copy paste the files from the Base merge, then from a patch FOR THE MERGE, and THEN GF patch. (two patches!!)

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Mar 2020, 13:56

KeyOfGeneralUse wrote:1.) I've found a trainer for the normal rank Dark Elf skill in Alvar. As the Troll race and a non-troll class, can I learn the Troll's normal rank Regeneration skill from a Trainer?

2.) Can I switch classes mid game? E.g. Start as a Troll (class) and switch to a Monk later?
Regeneration is not limited to trolls. Other races have Regeneration too in vanilla. Like Vampires.

Class switching is not a thing in MM. I will make an issue for it, though. It does remind me of the Dual-class and Multi-class from Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale and Wizardry...

Class Switching
Last edited by Templayer on 08 Mar 2020, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Mar 2020, 22:31

Website - Basic functionality is finished, same with design. :D
@all
Check it out: http://www.MMMerge.Templayer.cz
Try hovering over everything! :D

The Language buttons do not currently lead anywhere, I will start doing different languages after I am done with the English one.

tomchen1989 wrote: *The Font Guy*
I require assistance, as I need a Might and Magic truetype font (ttf), even with stuff like Czech diacritics, or possibly Russian azbuka. :D :D

GitLab Issue: https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues/421
Last edited by Templayer on 08 Mar 2020, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

Greenage3348
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Greenage3348 » 09 Mar 2020, 02:41

Templayer wrote:
Greenage3348 wrote:Hoping to get some help. I downloaded the merge files from this thread. With or without greyface the merge doesn't allow me to click on quests. I can start the game and make a party on any island but when I click quests the NPCs ignore the fact that I've clicked anywhere.

Install 8
I think the last time I came across this problem was that somebody tried to use the merge on a localized installation of MM8.

Do you have MM8 GOG version in English?

Does starting a new game allow you to select a continent / is there a different menu picture / (basically asking if you are sure you have installed the Merge correctly)

Also you need to copy paste the files from the Base merge, then from a patch FOR THE MERGE, and THEN GF patch. (two patches!!)
Yes, I have the GOG versions in English. I get the different pic and choice. When I am transferring files I am copying and pasting only, doing the merge, patch, then GF.

I even separated them to see where the issue is. The issue starts immediately after I install the merge.

Return to “Might and Magic”