Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Feb 9 2020, 22:36

BMJedi wrote:@Templayer , thank you for the quick reply.

I can't find an "unlocker" to look at settings or unlock character classes and races available to each continent. Can you help?

The tracker seems to be written for people who are working on debugging and creating assets for the program, and it's very big and hard to find anything specific. We users could really use a short summary of program features and how to manage them, i.e. a quick reference sheet. The first post that tells how to install the mod doesn't say anything about adjusting settings that I can find.

Thank you for all this incredible work. I can't imagine the hours that have gone into this project. It's awfully nice to have a modernized version of these great old games.

That is actually not quite true. There is an index of contents at the start that is clickable and leads to various places.
For a summary of features visit the MERGE DESCRIPTION, FEATURES AND CHANGES (you can just ctrl+f and copy paste that to find it...). Read a few pages after that section.

Next stop - optional content for the Base Merge - search for (or just find it inside the index) OPTIONAL MODIFICATIONS TO THE MERGE

Eventually, you might visit the TUTORIALS section.

These three sections are pretty much everything that you should ever need.
Also we cannot edit the first post on this thread, so make sure you get either the community-made bug-fixing package for the Base Merge, or the Community Branch of the Merge (which contains additional community-made content, like Druid Summoning).
Community Branch of the Merge, or the Base Merge branch with fixes

EDIT: The actual place for debugging and creating assets is on GitLab. Check this README file for the Community Branch:
https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/blob/master/README.md
And here we have our Task Tracker with labels and priorities:
https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/issues
Last edited by Templayer on Feb 9 2020, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Feb 9 2020, 22:48

joanthedark wrote:
cthscr wrote:I'm not sure if this help or bring more problem: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B3cEs ... 0WBPM7cfq6 (replaces Scripts/General/ExtraEvents.lua)

Looks like monster pointer is outside even original Map.Monsters array.


The error is not popping up anymore after encountering some Genies and the few minutes I tried your ExtraEvents.lua, I will continue playing extensively later on and see if there's anything strange, but so far it works! The only issue is that no more Dust Devils are being spawned, probably due to the monster cap.

cthscr wrote:Also, can you please do in Debug Console:

Code: Select all

print(Map.Monsters.count)


Code: Select all

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Debug Mode Started. Press Ctrl+Enter to execute commands.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> print(Map.Monsters.count)
---- Log File Output: ------------------------------------------------------------
500


500 seems to be the cap, at least in Tomb of VARN and Castle Alamos, the two dungeons I had that error popup.

Excellent. Keep testing if something else didn't break by that fix. :P
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

TheAnyKey
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 73
Joined: 10 Oct 2010

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby TheAnyKey » Feb 10 2020, 11:12

Hello. I cannot seem to download the mod. At the Mega.nz link the download stops at about 80% and I'm told "Transfer Quota exceeded". I have also installed the Mega download manager but I can still only download about 80%.
At the One Drive link the download seems to be no longer available. Do I have to create a paid account at Mega.nz to download the mod?

Are there other links for the download?

Thank you.

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Feb 10 2020, 14:29

joanthedark wrote:
cthscr wrote:I'm not sure if this help or bring more problem: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B3cEs ... 0WBPM7cfq6 (replaces Scripts/General/ExtraEvents.lua)

Looks like monster pointer is outside even original Map.Monsters array.


The error is not popping up anymore after encountering some Genies and the few minutes I tried your ExtraEvents.lua, I will continue playing extensively later on and see if there's anything strange, but so far it works! The only issue is that no more Dust Devils are being spawned, probably due to the monster cap.

cthscr wrote:Also, can you please do in Debug Console:

Code: Select all

print(Map.Monsters.count)


Code: Select all

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Debug Mode Started. Press Ctrl+Enter to execute commands.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> print(Map.Monsters.count)
---- Log File Output: ------------------------------------------------------------
500


500 seems to be the cap, at least in Tomb of VARN and Castle Alamos, the two dungeons I had that error popup.

This issue ( https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/issues/51 ) has been "workarounded" for the
Community Branch of the Merge, and the Base Merge branch with fixes
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Feb 10 2020, 14:31

TheAnyKey wrote:Hello. I cannot seem to download the mod. At the Mega.nz link the download stops at about 80% and I'm told "Transfer Quota exceeded". I have also installed the Mega download manager but I can still only download about 80%.
At the One Drive link the download seems to be no longer available. Do I have to create a paid account at Mega.nz to download the mod?

Are there other links for the download?

Thank you.

I'm personally using JDownloader. It was a few years back when I found such limit (when I was downloading about 100 GB of recordings from MEGA...), and JDownloader is able to continue from where it left of, so if you hit "Transfer Quota exceeded" there for MEGA, you just have to wait for it to go away and then continue the download.
Last edited by Templayer on Feb 10 2020, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

TheAnyKey
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 73
Joined: 10 Oct 2010

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby TheAnyKey » Feb 10 2020, 15:50

Thank you for your swift reply!

User avatar
BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript
Posts: 223
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby BMJedi » Feb 10 2020, 16:41

@Templayer, okay, I found the links to Character Creator Unlocker in the Tracker. The download gives me a blank text document, and a WinRar error message that says "Unknown method in character selection text. Operation failed."

I tried downloading it from both of the offered links (direct download and Uloz.to) with the same results - blank text document and an error message.

Oh well, I guess I can just be content to play the default release without the character creation features.

EDIT: I tried extracting that blank text document to my game folder, and that seems to have done something, as there is now an extra button on the character creation screen that gives some kind of code numbers for the character when you click it.

I tried downloading the Community Branch Version link you posted, and put those files in my game folder, overwriting and replacing what was already there. I have a save game in progress, so I don't know how that might be affected.

I hope I did the right thing.
Last edited by BMJedi on Feb 10 2020, 16:58, edited 2 times in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Feb 10 2020, 17:16

BMJedi wrote:@Templayer, okay, I found the links to Character Creator Unlocker in the Tracker. The download gives me a blank text document, and a WinRar error message that says "Unknown method in character selection text. Operation failed."

I tried downloading it from both of the offered links (direct download and Uloz.to) with the same results - blank text document and an error message.

Oh well, I guess I can just be content to play the default release without the character creation features.

EDIT: I tried extracting that blank text document to my game folder, and that seems to have done something, as there is now an extra button on the character creation screen that gives some kind of code numbers for the character when you click it.

I tried downloading the Community Branch Version link you posted, and put those files in my game folder, overwriting and replacing what was already there. I have a save game in progress, so I don't know how that might be affected.

I hope I did the right thing.

Don't use WinRar, use 7zip and you will see it will no longer be a blank file. :)
Also if you want to see it properly, you will have to use GrayFace's TxtEdit (google it up).

The additional debug tent button is from the Community Branch version. Have you read the README for it? Please read it... https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/blob/master/README.md

Playing the Merge requires basic computer knowledge, like knowing how to decompress a file properly. There are thousands of tutorials online. You could have googled "how to decompress a .7z file" instead of asking.

The "blank document" (after you decompress it properly...) doesn't belong to the root of the installation folder - find the same file somewhere inside the game's folder structure (Windows has a search function...), back it up and replace it with the unlocker's one. Putting stuff randomly inside the game's folder will accomplish nothing. Except maybe for the Community Branch, but you should have deleted the Scripts folder before using the Community Branch (as was clearly stated in the README. The README is called README for a reason. It is even downloaded with the Community Branch!)
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Feb 10 2020, 17:27

Last edited by Templayer on Feb 10 2020, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Feb 10 2020, 19:44

MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

joanthedark
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 17
Joined: 27 May 2017

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby joanthedark » Feb 10 2020, 22:20

I finished Tomb of VARN and didn't notice any more errors related to Dust Devil spawns so the .lua file seems to be a success!

On my way to The Oracle however, I noticed the entrace had more options to choose from:

Image

Pressing any of the two won't do anything (no text), you can still enter normally with the first option. Same text duo appear in Control Center's entrance:

Image

Luckily I had a save just before unmasking the council's traitor (because I like the cutscene), so I loaded it to see if the placeholder text was also there since I don't remember seeing it on my first playthrough:

Image

This would discard the .lua file being the issue, since the placeholder text does not appear in this save despite still using the same .lua file. Now, before clearing Tomb of VARN I went to Jadame to change the atmosphere and sequence a bit, did everything up until before entering the crystal with the elemental key, so I thought maybe changing continents had something to do with it, but when I tried going to Jadame on the council's traitor save and went back to Enroth, the placeholder text still wasn't there. This is where I hit a wall, I do not know how to replicate the placeholder issue, but wanted to let you know it exists and makes me wonder if you guys had seen it before (it's still in my main save).

Another issue I discovered is that after getting the Blaster skill and its designated weapons from Control Center, I noticed they do the same amount of damage (around 5-35 points of damage) regardless of which skill level or mastery they're in: I do the same damage with a Normal Blaster 1 skill and a Grandmaster Blaster 30+ skill, with both of my characters.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/r2phjbrz3w8kuj2/save000.dod/file

Use the link above to download the savefile I attached so you guys can test it out (no account so the file will only be available for 14 days), Blaster is currently at level 1, so shoot Peasants and Expert Swordsman (Guard) to test damage, then level up Blaster Skill and use the female's quickspell (Lloyd's Beacon) and teleport to the Expert and Master/Grandmaster Ancient Weapon teachers that I conviniently beaconed, then return to Castle Ironfist with the first beacon and compare damage. This save also includes the MMExt Placeholder issue in Free Haven's Council if you want to check it out.

I would imagine this happens because vanilla Might and Magic VIII did not have Blasters in its storyline even though you could use a character editor to include the skill, meaning it was coded into the game but not implemented, so the NWC devs probably did not bother to tamper with its damage numbers. Might be something worth checking out for the Merge modders.

LadySoulCrystal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 6
Joined: 11 Feb 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby LadySoulCrystal » Feb 11 2020, 0:37

Greetings friends!

First of all I want to extend a thank you to the community for such an amazing mod and additions such as the character unlocker (as well as the community bug list). I've started out in Enroth with a 5 party that includes a promoted cleric( now priest) with expert merchant, skill 7. Everything was going well and merchant skill was working in my favor, but after clearing out Snergle's Iron Mines and town portaling to White Cap, both the magic item shop and the armory are offering less than normal. https://imgur.com/a/StVkpK1

I restarted my game just in case that was an issue, but the issue remains. I might warp to another town and see if maybe White Cap just hates me, in the mean time does anyone know if this is a bug of the merge, or maybe just an original MM6 bug. Thank you all!

EDIT: warped to New Sorpigal and the weaponsmith there gave me better rates, but still not in my favor. I tried to buy something and he said "Normally i'd ask for '150' ,but for you i'll give it away for '175' ". So Merchant seems to have reversed itself.
Last edited by LadySoulCrystal on Feb 11 2020, 0:42, edited 1 time in total.

joanthedark
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 17
Joined: 27 May 2017

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby joanthedark » Feb 11 2020, 5:13

LadySoulCrystal wrote:Greetings friends!

First of all I want to extend a thank you to the community for such an amazing mod and additions such as the character unlocker (as well as the community bug list). I've started out in Enroth with a 5 party that includes a promoted cleric( now priest) with expert merchant, skill 7. Everything was going well and merchant skill was working in my favor, but after clearing out Snergle's Iron Mines and town portaling to White Cap, both the magic item shop and the armory are offering less than normal. https://imgur.com/a/StVkpK1

I restarted my game just in case that was an issue, but the issue remains. I might warp to another town and see if maybe White Cap just hates me, in the mean time does anyone know if this is a bug of the merge, or maybe just an original MM6 bug. Thank you all!

EDIT: warped to New Sorpigal and the weaponsmith there gave me better rates, but still not in my favor. I tried to buy something and he said "Normally i'd ask for '150' ,but for you i'll give it away for '175' ". So Merchant seems to have reversed itself.


Press the letter Z (quick reference menu) and check your reputation value, they will buy your stuff cheaper and sell you higher if you're below neutral (red numbers with different tiers), I learned this because I sold some cannibal bones from Bootleg Bay to Lon Miller in Free Haven and that lowers reputation, so perhaps you did something that lowered yours (I believe looting from the bone walls inside Snergle's Caverns lowers reputation). Keep in mind there's also a bug where your reputation will reset back to 0 (Neutral) if you teleport out during turn based mode (pressing Enter key), so even if you have done good deeds like completing sub-quests yours might have reset it to 0 accidentally. Donate in temples to increase your reputation back.
Last edited by joanthedark on Feb 11 2020, 5:25, edited 1 time in total.

cthscr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 20
Joined: 12 Jan 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby cthscr » Feb 11 2020, 10:36

TheAnyKey wrote:Hello. I cannot seem to download the mod. At the Mega.nz link the download stops at about 80% and I'm told "Transfer Quota exceeded". I have also installed the Mega download manager but I can still only download about 80%.


They give bonus to newly registered users that download & install their desktop app.

But let's ask @Pol to host it here at CH if possible.

Pol wrote:False quote because Templayer says that Shift+2 addressing doesn't work.


Pol, is it possible to host Merge pack here?
Last edited by cthscr on Feb 11 2020, 10:38, edited 2 times in total.

cthscr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 20
Joined: 12 Jan 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby cthscr » Feb 11 2020, 11:22

joanthedark wrote:I finished Tomb of VARN and didn't notice any more errors related to Dust Devil spawns so the .lua file seems to be a success!

Good to hear.

joanthedark wrote:On my way to The Oracle however, I noticed the entrace had more options to choose from:

Pressing any of the two won't do anything (no text), you can still enter normally with the first option. Same text duo appear in Control Center's entrance:

Luckily I had a save just before unmasking the council's traitor (because I like the cutscene), so I loaded it to see if the placeholder text was also there since I don't remember seeing it on my first playthrough:

This would discard the .lua file being the issue, since the placeholder text does not appear in this save despite still using the same .lua file. Now, before clearing Tomb of VARN I went to Jadame to change the atmosphere and sequence a bit, did everything up until before entering the crystal with the elemental key, so I thought maybe changing continents had something to do with it, but when I tried going to Jadame on the council's traitor save and went back to Enroth, the placeholder text still wasn't there. This is where I hit a wall, I do not know how to replicate the placeholder issue, but wanted to let you know it exists and makes me wonder if you guys had seen it before (it's still in my main save).

AFAIK MMExt Placeholders come from lod archive. Maybe from map file itself. There are few MMExt Placeholders in NPCTopic.txt and NPCGreet.txt from EnglishT.lod.

joanthedark wrote:Another issue I discovered is that after getting the Blaster skill and its designated weapons from Control Center, I noticed they do the same amount of damage (around 5-35 points of damage) regardless of which skill level or mastery they're in: I do the same damage with a Normal Blaster 1 skill and a Grandmaster Blaster 30+ skill, with both of my characters.

I would imagine this happens because vanilla Might and Magic VIII did not have Blasters in its storyline even though you could use a character editor to include the skill, meaning it was coded into the game but not implemented, so the NWC devs probably did not bother to tamper with its damage numbers. Might be something worth checking out for the Merge modders.

Blasters attack might (or might not) be overridden the same way it was done with dragon. Just a guess.

LadySoulCrystal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 6
Joined: 11 Feb 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby LadySoulCrystal » Feb 11 2020, 12:49

joanthedark wrote:
LadySoulCrystal wrote:Greetings friends!

First of all I want to extend a thank you to the community for such an amazing mod and additions such as the character unlocker (as well as the community bug list). I've started out in Enroth with a 5 party that includes a promoted cleric( now priest) with expert merchant, skill 7. Everything was going well and merchant skill was working in my favor, but after clearing out Snergle's Iron Mines and town portaling to White Cap, both the magic item shop and the armory are offering less than normal. https://imgur.com/a/StVkpK1

I restarted my game just in case that was an issue, but the issue remains. I might warp to another town and see if maybe White Cap just hates me, in the mean time does anyone know if this is a bug of the merge, or maybe just an original MM6 bug. Thank you all!

EDIT: warped to New Sorpigal and the weaponsmith there gave me better rates, but still not in my favor. I tried to buy something and he said "Normally i'd ask for '150' ,but for you i'll give it away for '175' ". So Merchant seems to have reversed itself.


Press the letter Z (quick reference menu) and check your reputation value, they will buy your stuff cheaper and sell you higher if you're below neutral (red numbers with different tiers), I learned this because I sold some cannibal bones from Bootleg Bay to Lon Miller in Free Haven and that lowers reputation, so perhaps you did something that lowered yours (I believe looting from the bone walls inside Snergle's Caverns lowers reputation). Keep in mind there's also a bug where your reputation will reset back to 0 (Neutral) if you teleport out during turn based mode (pressing Enter key), so even if you have done good deeds like completing sub-quests yours might have reset it to 0 accidentally. Donate in temples to increase your reputation back.



ahahahahaahahaah i'm hated :applause: I knew reputation was a thing but i couldn't ever find where it was mentioned, so thank you for letting me know where it is. Also yes... i've sold a lot of bones. Didn't realize thatwas a bad thing, but i guess he did say he was using them for a ritual.....Whelp time to go fix that! Thank you much!!

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Feb 11 2020, 20:51

cthscr wrote:
TheAnyKey wrote:Hello. I cannot seem to download the mod. At the Mega.nz link the download stops at about 80% and I'm told "Transfer Quota exceeded". I have also installed the Mega download manager but I can still only download about 80%.


They give bonus to newly registered users that download & install their desktop app.

But let's ask @Pol to host it here at CH if possible.

Pol wrote:False quote because Templayer says that Shift+2 addressing doesn't work.


Pol, is it possible to host Merge pack here?

I can probably just post it on my server. With direct link access, nonetheless.
Same with a whole new forum for the Merge, if people want that. :D :D

If you want me to do it like that, just ask. For the files hosting, I mean.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Feb 11 2020, 20:54

LadySoulCrystal wrote:
joanthedark wrote:
LadySoulCrystal wrote:Greetings friends!

First of all I want to extend a thank you to the community for such an amazing mod and additions such as the character unlocker (as well as the community bug list). I've started out in Enroth with a 5 party that includes a promoted cleric( now priest) with expert merchant, skill 7. Everything was going well and merchant skill was working in my favor, but after clearing out Snergle's Iron Mines and town portaling to White Cap, both the magic item shop and the armory are offering less than normal. https://imgur.com/a/StVkpK1

I restarted my game just in case that was an issue, but the issue remains. I might warp to another town and see if maybe White Cap just hates me, in the mean time does anyone know if this is a bug of the merge, or maybe just an original MM6 bug. Thank you all!

EDIT: warped to New Sorpigal and the weaponsmith there gave me better rates, but still not in my favor. I tried to buy something and he said "Normally i'd ask for '150' ,but for you i'll give it away for '175' ". So Merchant seems to have reversed itself.


Press the letter Z (quick reference menu) and check your reputation value, they will buy your stuff cheaper and sell you higher if you're below neutral (red numbers with different tiers), I learned this because I sold some cannibal bones from Bootleg Bay to Lon Miller in Free Haven and that lowers reputation, so perhaps you did something that lowered yours (I believe looting from the bone walls inside Snergle's Caverns lowers reputation). Keep in mind there's also a bug where your reputation will reset back to 0 (Neutral) if you teleport out during turn based mode (pressing Enter key), so even if you have done good deeds like completing sub-quests yours might have reset it to 0 accidentally. Donate in temples to increase your reputation back.



ahahahahaahahaah i'm hated :applause: I knew reputation was a thing but i couldn't ever find where it was mentioned, so thank you for letting me know where it is. Also yes... i've sold a lot of bones. Didn't realize thatwas a bad thing, but i guess he did say he was using them for a ritual.....Whelp time to go fix that! Thank you much!!

Those were HUMAN bones, you monster! You should have buried them instead! On your own expense as well! :P :D
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Feb 11 2020, 21:16

joanthedark wrote:I finished Tomb of VARN and didn't notice any more errors related to Dust Devil spawns so the .lua file seems to be a success!

On my way to The Oracle however, I noticed the entrace had more options to choose from:

Image

Pressing any of the two won't do anything (no text), you can still enter normally with the first option. Same text duo appear in Control Center's entrance:

Image

Luckily I had a save just before unmasking the council's traitor (because I like the cutscene), so I loaded it to see if the placeholder text was also there since I don't remember seeing it on my first playthrough:

Image

This would discard the .lua file being the issue, since the placeholder text does not appear in this save despite still using the same .lua file. Now, before clearing Tomb of VARN I went to Jadame to change the atmosphere and sequence a bit, did everything up until before entering the crystal with the elemental key, so I thought maybe changing continents had something to do with it, but when I tried going to Jadame on the council's traitor save and went back to Enroth, the placeholder text still wasn't there. This is where I hit a wall, I do not know how to replicate the placeholder issue, but wanted to let you know it exists and makes me wonder if you guys had seen it before (it's still in my main save).

Another issue I discovered is that after getting the Blaster skill and its designated weapons from Control Center, I noticed they do the same amount of damage (around 5-35 points of damage) regardless of which skill level or mastery they're in: I do the same damage with a Normal Blaster 1 skill and a Grandmaster Blaster 30+ skill, with both of my characters.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/r2phjbrz3w8kuj2/save000.dod/file

Use the link above to download the savefile I attached so you guys can test it out (no account so the file will only be available for 14 days), Blaster is currently at level 1, so shoot Peasants and Expert Swordsman (Guard) to test damage, then level up Blaster Skill and use the female's quickspell (Lloyd's Beacon) and teleport to the Expert and Master/Grandmaster Ancient Weapon teachers that I conviniently beaconed, then return to Castle Ironfist with the first beacon and compare damage. This save also includes the MMExt Placeholder issue in Free Haven's Council if you want to check it out.

I would imagine this happens because vanilla Might and Magic VIII did not have Blasters in its storyline even though you could use a character editor to include the skill, meaning it was coded into the game but not implemented, so the NWC devs probably did not bother to tamper with its damage numbers. Might be something worth checking out for the Merge modders.

This placeholder text problem was reported ONCE before, so I will add what you wrote into that report and make a GitLab issue out of it. The worth of the save file you provided might be in gold!

MMMergePlaceholder appearing as dialogue choices
Blasters' effectiveness in battle is not affected by the Blaster skill
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

raekuul
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 86
Joined: 05 Jul 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby raekuul » Feb 11 2020, 22:57

Just a quick note on the blasters thing: in 6 and 7, Blaster Skill only affected your To-Hit chance. Damage was based entirely on if it was a Blaster Pistol or a Blaster Rifle.
You need to install the base mod first, and then install the latest GrayFace patch on top of that.


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests