Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Thonkerton
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Unread postby Thonkerton » 28 Sep 2019, 07:59

Regarding Reed's suggestion of remaking it in Unity, there has been attempt(s). Usually fan remake projects like that crumble from legal issues (not importing assets from a legit copy of original) or trying to bite more than they can chew either by making all new assets to avoid legal issues or by getting stuck in the blue sky thinking phase and piling more and more features before the original game was remade.
My own MM merge project went into permanent hiatus mode as I was unable to find who owns the rights to the games and their assets as I was too lazy to make a clever automatic importer from original files to circumvent it. While a Unity remake would be nice, I personally shelved the project permanently as soon as I found out about Rodril's project. :applause:
Here's a little lighting test I did back then https://youtu.be/v9jYblU6elY

Kaikhorus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaikhorus » 28 Sep 2019, 08:17

After rescuing the elemental lords and Escaton is destroyed, if you had a Loyd's Beacon placed in Escaton's Palace/Plane Between Planes etc. you can go and talk to him in his throne room still. One solution might be to lock his door once the MM8 questline is over? I'm sure it's tough to do anything about people going back if they had a beacon set.

I'm think this is in vanilla too, but I can't remember if I ever tried it out there.
Last edited by Kaikhorus on 28 Sep 2019, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.

Emjayen
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Emjayen » 28 Sep 2019, 08:52

Reed wrote:Oh i found the bug tracker , :O , wouldn't be actually easier to redo the whole thing in unity for example?
would open a lot of doors. api for modders, easier access, clearer docs , could add bunch of new things...
No -- Unity, or any other exhaustive middle-ware, does not solve any of the actual hard problems faced in game development (e.g, game logic/ architecture), while the comparatively basic problems it does, it does so poorly.

In fact, a good heuristic to identify a project that will fail is mention of such middle-ware (along with focus on superficial topics regarding pretty pictures, references to specific APIs and/or libraries) as this is characteristic of very amateur developers, frequently with no actual background in software engineering, let alone the very specialized domain of gamedev.

See: The almost daily "project announcements" on gamedev.net that inevitably go nowhere as the developer(s) are totally out of their depth.

/rant

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 28 Sep 2019, 12:14

Kaikhorus wrote:After rescuing the elemental lords and Escaton is destroyed, if you had a Loyd's Beacon placed in Escaton's Palace/Plane Between Planes etc. you can go and talk to him in his throne room still. One solution might be to lock his door once the MM8 questline is over? I'm sure it's tough to do anything about people going back if they had a beacon set.

I'm think this is in vanilla too, but I can't remember if I ever tried it out there.
100% in vanilla. Abused it many times.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 28 Sep 2019, 15:01

qtish wrote:
Kaikhorus wrote:After rescuing the elemental lords and Escaton is destroyed, if you had a Loyd's Beacon placed in Escaton's Palace/Plane Between Planes etc. you can go and talk to him in his throne room still. One solution might be to lock his door once the MM8 questline is over? I'm sure it's tough to do anything about people going back if they had a beacon set.

100% in vanilla. Abused it many times.
If it's in vanilla, then have GrayFace take care of it.
GrayFace wrote: :gong:
Yes?

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 28 Sep 2019, 15:09

Templayer wrote:See my response please.

Also if you just make a post here on the thread with a bug, or a suggestion, and say that you wish for it to be in the Suggestion Tracker, I will add it there myself.
Since it isn't a problem for me...

EDIT: So for example if you only want to report a single small bug or something like that, and don't want to let the Tracker load in the background for a few minutes while you do something else (for some reason. I do not know, I multitask to the maximum, so I have always a but-tload of things to do) just put it here in the thread and I will add it there myself.
If it is a suggestion and you DO want to have it in the Suggestion Tracker, mention it in the post, and I will add it there.

I feel very sad when people call my child slow. :S
I see.

Well, another problem I'm having is that editing (plainly, writing!) directly in the google doc takes much longer than in any other text editor I could be using; so thank you for the transferring activity you're doing here: I think It'll be relevant to my case.
I just wonder, I have DOZENS of bugs I've been collecting (before* and after the last update of MMMerge), if you don't mind I start writing them down here in the forum instead? It's a lot of stuff!! — I also happen to have some few new suggestions in the process of bug catching. So, do you mind, if I start doing all this stuff directly in this thread? 8|

I'm sorry for that, but don't forget it is OUR child; :D he/she needs help.

*those I'll have to review/retest before posting of course.
Last edited by Kinox on 28 Sep 2019, 15:12, edited 3 times in total.

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 28 Sep 2019, 18:52

What dlls, 3dfx or directx and x86 or x64 will be better to use in the game (with dgVoodooCpl)? Actually all the combinations works, but still. How could I disable mouse looking in v62_1?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 28 Sep 2019, 19:51

Why do you want to use dgVoodoo? Latest Grayface's patch already supports high resolution. What results do you expect from dgVoodoo?

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 28 Sep 2019, 20:16

I just missed that. Thanks.

Butcer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Butcer » 29 Sep 2019, 09:53

I get this error when i click on expert fire in Inew scorpigal in Isao Magistrus house

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:317: attempt to index a nil value

stack traceback:
... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:317: in function <... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:317>
[C]: in function 'pcall'
Scripts/Core/Common.lua:102: in function 'pcall2'
Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1653: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1650>

arguments of '... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:317':
d = (table: 0x22380ff0)

local variables of '... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:317':
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = 4918987
(*temporary) = "attempt to index a nil value"

upvalues of '... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:317':
TeacherTopics = (table: 0x0640cb30)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

Butcer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Butcer » 29 Sep 2019, 10:02

Rodril wrote:Patch link have been updated: https://mega.nz/#!GngHxA6A!KcSqOdGubVn0 ... thIODfVpac
Two questions about the patch

1. Do you have to reapply greyface patch again after using the patch?

2. Is it okay to apply the patch on a install that already had greyface patch installed before ?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 29 Sep 2019, 10:29

Butcer wrote:1. Do you have to reapply greyface patch again after using the patch?
No.
Butcer wrote:2. Is it okay to apply the patch on a install that already had greyface patch installed before ?
Yes.
Butcer wrote:I get this error when i click on expert fire in Inew scorpigal in Isao Magistrus house
Do you use any localization?
Try to put this script into "Scripts\Structs\After" folder, replacing existing, tell me what will happen.
https://mega.nz/#!y2oXxKLZ!azoQwPUST6NE ... VgSb0sSdjc

Butcer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Butcer » 29 Sep 2019, 10:32

Rodril wrote:
Butcer wrote:1. Do you have to reapply greyface patch again after using the patch?
No.
Butcer wrote:2. Is it okay to apply the patch on a install that already had greyface patch installed before ?
Yes.
Butcer wrote:I get this error when i click on expert fire in Inew scorpigal in Isao Magistrus house
Do you use any localization?
Try to put this script into "Scripts\Structs\After" folder, replacing existing, tell me what will happen.
https://mega.nz/#!y2oXxKLZ!azoQwPUST6NE ... VgSb0sSdjc
Just crashes the game without giving any console debug info and no im not using a localization, that is instead of giving me that error message when clicking fire expert it just crashes
Last edited by Butcer on 29 Sep 2019, 10:33, edited 2 times in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 29 Sep 2019, 11:08

You'll need to re-apply the latest Grayface patch afterwards

Butcer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Butcer » 29 Sep 2019, 11:36

roger

Butcer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Butcer » 29 Sep 2019, 11:40

Re applied the patch, still same. After overwriting with the file you posted and re applied greyface patch clicking fire expert on Isao Magistrus just crashes the game without giving me the error message it gave me before

Butcer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Butcer » 29 Sep 2019, 11:43

raekuul wrote:
You'll need to re-apply the latest Grayface patch afterwards
Re applied the patch, still same. After overwriting with the file you posted and re applied greyface patch clicking fire expert on Isao Magistrus just crashes the game without giving me the error message it gave me before

It just crashes on my high priest, when i click that option on other chars it does not crash.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 29 Sep 2019, 11:58

I get that from time to time. I'm just in the habit now of always saving before talking to skill trainers, since it doesn't happen consistently.

Also, can you wrap your crash traceback in code tags please? It'll make it easier to read.

Butcer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Butcer » 29 Sep 2019, 12:03

raekuul wrote:I get that from time to time. I'm just in the habit now of always saving before talking to skill trainers, since it doesn't happen consistently.

Also, can you wrap your crash traceback in code tags please? It'll make it easier to read.
New to this forum sorry i dont know how to :S, been playing the mm merge im stunned of just how bugfree it has been. Only encountered one major bug and that is there was no evil crystal in temple of evil fist, been playing for hours i expected this to be alot buggier so yeah kudos for an awesome job.
Last edited by Butcer on 29 Sep 2019, 12:07, edited 2 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 29 Sep 2019, 12:59

Butcer wrote:Re applied the patch, still same. After overwriting with the file you posted and re applied greyface patch clicking fire expert on Isao Magistrus just crashes the game without giving me the error message it gave me before
Put this file into same folder: https://mega.nz/#!amJgEQIL!uSrZZ5Hyaimo ... tM7Yznfwss
Should be fixed now, thank you.

Return to “Might and Magic”