Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
darkkat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Unread postby darkkat » 21 Aug 2019, 18:41

andrey wrote: Are you by chance using software 3D? If yes, setPaperDollInChests=0 might help. If that's not it, then I don't know that bug.
I guess so :D
andrey wrote: You just need to enter. And you should receive confirmation message upon entering. No need to hit the gates, nothing appears in your inventory, etc. You did not receive any message when entering the planes (AFTER taking the quest)? She does not accept the quest even after you entered all planes?
yes! its worked! thank you!

darkkat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby darkkat » 21 Aug 2019, 18:56

del
Last edited by darkkat on 22 Aug 2019, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 21 Aug 2019, 20:17

andrey wrote:Why FixChests=0 is default? It is a fix for a very annoying bug. Are there any downsides of FixChests=1?
Mostly because it breaks the Barrow Downs chest, making it multi-screen. Also, reopening chests to see if there's anything left every time isn't fun. That's why I decided to try other strategies. After implementing code that places more valuable item bunches first, I thought it would be good enough and disabled FixChests by default. Next patch version will use more compact non-random chest population (same as is used in inventory) when there is space shortage.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 21 Aug 2019, 20:23

UnknownHuman wrote:Anyway to turn off Auto aim ?
Templayer wrote:If that was the case, then someone could make a modern or scifi RPG with this! With skills such as submachine guns, machine guns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, pistols, grenade launchers, rocket launchers, grenades, melee bladed weapons, melee blunt weapons, melee piercing weapons,.... I would play the <self-censorship> out of that. Big fan of Jagged Alliance 2. :D :D
I never played the MM6-8 games in real-time mode while in combat, unless for specific reasons (to raise the effectiveness of meteor showers, etc.), but with mouse look and middle of the screen shooting.... :D I would use that. :tsup: :devious:
I also wanted to do it, but for some reason only envisioned it in a remake I wanted to do in Unreal Engine. Wanted to make a doom-inspired mode. However, it should be pretty easy to do in my patches. But, ideally it should allow using mouse buttons to attack and cast quick spell...
Last edited by GrayFace on 21 Aug 2019, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 21 Aug 2019, 21:44

Klasiant wrote:Hey guys, I'm back, started a new run and instantly found a bug.

Chose Jadame, created a dark elf, changed her class to peasant.
Well, thanks to your post I finally noticed those arrows in the creation screens - I honestly thought that eg you couldn't start with a sorcerer in mm7 :D

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 21 Aug 2019, 21:57

A couple of things for which I couldn't find an answer (partially because I'm trying, and sometimes failing, to stay away from spoilers, but anyway)

1. The warlock familiar from mm7
I've read the suggestion on how to actually give him a name and it worked, then I fed him, I waited, and now whenever I try to get him to join
he says he's too young - I tried waiting a couple of months, leveling up, nothing happened.
Yet sometimes when I'm fighting the dragon does something - either shoots an enemy, or uses its wings - is that what it's supposed to do,
or is there something I can do to make it join my party?

2. (spoilerish)
I started in mm6, Verdant appeared and told me to do you-know-what.
Trouble is, I wasn't paying that much attention, so when I tried to use the connector stone and it didn't do anything, I assumed she would later give me some quest to make it work, while it seems that I had to wait 24h since her visit... in the meantime I completed all three continents and I'm at level seventysomething and can level above 100 - did I screw up? ie, when I find the gems she's looking for, will her assignment (whatever it is) be too easy at that level?

To put it in a different way: as a long time mm6/7/8 player, should I finish one/two/three continents before embarking in Verdant's quests at a reasonable level (not TOO easy, not TOO difficult)? I THINK she said that I should finish my starting world first, and as I didn't know how I could communicate with her she DID appear whenever I finished the main quest on a given continent, but I'm not 100% sure I remember correctly.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 21 Aug 2019, 22:05

Wait, come to think of it - I choose to ally with Bracada in mm7, not sure if that's the reason or if it matters at all.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 22 Aug 2019, 05:23

darkkat wrote:I could not find the information about this bugs in the foro >
As I wrote once already, CHECK THE TRACKER IN MY SIGNATURE. Over 150 pages of information on the Merge. Cheat Engine included.

I'll reply to the rest when I have more time.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 22 Aug 2019, 18:07

GrayFace wrote:
UnknownHuman wrote:Anyway to turn off Auto aim ?
Templayer wrote:If that was the case, then someone could make a modern or scifi RPG with this! With skills such as submachine guns, machine guns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, pistols, grenade launchers, rocket launchers, grenades, melee bladed weapons, melee blunt weapons, melee piercing weapons,.... I would play the <self-censorship> out of that. Big fan of Jagged Alliance 2. :D :D
I never played the MM6-8 games in real-time mode while in combat, unless for specific reasons (to raise the effectiveness of meteor showers, etc.), but with mouse look and middle of the screen shooting.... :D I would use that. :tsup: :devious:
I also wanted to do it, but for some reason only envisioned it in a remake I wanted to do in Unreal Engine. Wanted to make a doom-inspired mode. However, it should be pretty easy to do in my patches. But, ideally it should allow using mouse buttons to attack and cast quick spell...
Add multiple quick spell support and we can make a hardcore RPG-shooter hybrid. :D
After eventually we will be able to make our own spells and schools....
Example of use - Grenade throwing - fails if no grenade in character inventory, success when there is (and a grenade is removed from inventory). Effect not unlike the "throw and *boom*" spells already in the engine.

Do you have some future feature plans for the Extension? Spells and Skills would be very nice, the modification potential would exponentially rise! :oex:
eilacomeva wrote:

Well, thanks to your post I finally noticed those arrows in the creation screens - I honestly thought that eg you couldn't start with a sorcerer in mm7 :D
With the Unlocker on the Tracker you can make combinations such as a Minotaur Archer, Goblin Necromancer,...

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 22 Aug 2019, 18:37

eilacomeva wrote:A couple of things for which I couldn't find an answer (partially because I'm trying, and sometimes failing, to stay away from spoilers, but anyway)

1. The warlock familiar from mm7
I've read the suggestion on how to actually give him a name and it worked, then I fed him, I waited, and now whenever I try to get him to join
he says he's too young - I tried waiting a couple of months, leveling up, nothing happened.
Yet sometimes when I'm fighting the dragon does something - either shoots an enemy, or uses its wings - is that what it's supposed to do,
or is there something I can do to make it join my party?

2. (spoilerish)
I started in mm6, Verdant appeared and told me to do you-know-what.
Trouble is, I wasn't paying that much attention, so when I tried to use the connector stone and it didn't do anything, I assumed she would later give me some quest to make it work, while it seems that I had to wait 24h since her visit... in the meantime I completed all three continents and I'm at level seventysomething and can level above 100 - did I screw up? ie, when I find the gems she's looking for, will her assignment (whatever it is) be too easy at that level?

To put it in a different way: as a long time mm6/7/8 player, should I finish one/two/three continents before embarking in Verdant's quests at a reasonable level (not TOO easy, not TOO difficult)? I THINK she said that I should finish my starting world first, and as I didn't know how I could communicate with her she DID appear whenever I finished the main quest on a given continent, but I'm not 100% sure I remember correctly.
Well, personally, I performed her quests in parallel with the main plot. It was fun, though.
It seems to me that there is no difference when to start completing her quests. I started as early as possible because I was afraid to upset her =З
Just try and say how it is, it shouldn't be easy, if Bolstering is active.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 22 Aug 2019, 19:14

darkkat wrote:
Templayer wrote:
darkkat wrote:hello! i ricently installed the merge with all the new patchs. But i still have a problem with quest at mm6 - finding the Lord Kilburns shield - it dosent apppear at the chest in Blakshire... The map get respawn already, but still... its nor there,
is there any solution? Any aditor that can edds it at the game, o just mark the quest done?
Thank you!
Please check the Tracker in my signature. You can use the Cheat Engine made for the Merge to add the shield to your inventory (it's a replacement for MM8CHE).

I wait for another respawn - and it dosent appear in the chest nither ...
And sorry for being such a noob, but i dont understand how can I run the cheat engine - replace where? i could not find the mm8che in the folders
thank you
No, that is not what I meant. I meant that for non-Merge MM8, you would use MM8CHE to add items to your inventory. MM8CHE however doesn't work for the Merge. So a guy made a custom Cheat Engine for the Merge to act as a replacement for the MM8CHE. MM8CHE was not bundled with the MM8 game. You basically need to download the base Cheat Engine, then put the Merge Cheat Engine into it and then if you run it while the game is open, you are able to edit the savegame while it is loaded into the RAM. You can even put items straight into the cursor of the game. Unfortunately if you were searching for MM8CHE in the game folder I am afraid the Cheat Engine way might be too complicated for you. :S
Just editing the configuration file and setting the fix chests to 1 and then waiting for a respawn in-game might be an easier solution for you.

I will add you to the Bug Catchers section of the Credits Tracker for finding the bug with the shield.

Looted Tobersk Brandy, won the Arcomage on Dagger Wound, then headed into the first available house and got her class changed to "druid".

Exit house, check my char sheet. 5000xp gained, and apparently I made an alliance with Charles Quixote. Easily impressed dude, apparently.

Restarded, did the exact same thing, could not replicate. Thought it still was interesting enough to report.

Edit: I dunno if this is intended, so hence the edit, but it seems the act of going from peasant to Druid granted me 5000 xp.
Welcome back! Added to the Bug Tracker!
Last edited by Templayer on 22 Aug 2019, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

darkkat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby darkkat » 22 Aug 2019, 20:08

Templayer wrote:
darkkat wrote:
Templayer wrote:
Please check the Tracker in my signature. You can use the Cheat Engine made for the Merge to add the shield to your inventory (it's a replacement for MM8CHE).

No, that is not what I meant. I meant that for non-Merge MM8, you would use MM8CHE to add items to your inventory. MM8CHE however doesn't work for the Merge. So a guy made a custom Cheat Engine for the Merge to act as a replacement for the MM8CHE. MM8CHE was not bundled with the MM8 game. You basically need to download the base Cheat Engine, then put the Merge Cheat Engine into it and then if you run it while the game is open, you are able to edit the savegame while it is loaded into the RAM. You can even put items straight into the cursor of the game. Unfortunately if you were searching for MM8CHE in the game folder I am afraid the Cheat Engine way might be too complicated for you. :S
Just editing the configuration file and setting the fix chests to 1 and then waiting for a respawn in-game might be an easier solution for you.

I will add you to the Bug Catchers section of the Credits Tracker for finding the bug with the shield.
Hello

first of all - thank you very much, i undestand how annoying it can be to treat with authentic noobs.
I didnt get that the Cheat Engine was a program, and thats why i didnt get the explanation you wrote in Tracker - It s fault of my english level i guess.
I get it, intstalled and it worked, I finally get the $%&&$ shield.
Nontheless i tryed to edit my npg and it worked only on the 3 of them, another two(Lich and dragon) - whatever i tryed, cant add o change nothing.

The Respawn option - dosent work. I changed the value to 1 as Andrey suggest, waited 3 years for a respawn in a tavern - but the shield wasnt there.

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 23 Aug 2019, 14:25

I admire what you've expanded the cleric and especially the sorcerer classes. Are you going to expand the other classes in a similar manner? For example, archer on her second promotion could have to choose not between light and darkness (they don't need light and dark magic at all) but between ranged or melee combat. In the last case it wouldn't be an archer, but a kind of some arcane knight.

Hey, did you know that there are a state of drunkenness in the game? Try to drink from the well in Deyja! So, why not return drink to the taverns?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Aug 2019, 16:30

Jezebeth Noir wrote:I admire what you've expanded the cleric and especially the sorcerer classes. Are you going to expand the other classes in a similar manner? For example, archer on her second promotion could have to choose not between light and darkness (they don't need light and dark magic at all) but between ranged or melee combat. In the last case it wouldn't be an archer, but a kind of some arcane knight.

Hey, did you know that there are a state of drunkenness in the game? Try to drink from the well in Deyja! So, why not return drink to the taverns?
I believe the state isn't implemented for all characters yet. Or something like that. So that is actually an oversight. Added to the Bug Tracker.

In any case, you are writing to Rodril, but he hasn't been here for months. GrayFace will take the project over soon. (autumn)

EDIT: Feel free to elaborate upon that and I will put it into the Suggestion Tracker once you have a draft of the feature.
darkkat wrote: first of all - thank you very much, i undestand how annoying it can be to treat with authentic noobs.
I didnt get that the Cheat Engine was a program, and thats why i didnt get the explanation you wrote in Tracker - It s fault of my english level i guess.
I get it, intstalled and it worked, I finally get the $%&&$ shield.
YAAY! I've underestimated you. But because English is my third language, I do know the hardships that the language barrier brings forth.
darkkat wrote:Nontheless i tryed to edit my npg and it worked only on the 3 of them, another two(Lich and dragon) - whatever i tryed, cant add o change nothing.
Added to the Bug Tracker. Made a new section for non-base Merge bugs. I'll contact Jessen, he is the one who made the Cheat Engine for the Merge.
Jessen wrote: :iceblock: :capricornus:
There are two bugs right now with the Cheat Engine. One is the one darkkat wrote about, and the other one is on the Tracker.
Last edited by Templayer on 23 Aug 2019, 16:35, edited 3 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Aug 2019, 16:47

Also for spending hours and hours on the Tracker and helping me out with stuff, Andrey is now also on the Credits Tracker as a Tracker Maintainer / Community Manager.
andrey wrote: Hm... I am not a merge developer, but I guess if you provide a save and mm8.ini, it can help the developers to track and fix the bug.
Now you are. :devil:

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Aug 2019, 17:24

Just want to get some feedback on the:

Custom Complex M&M-lore-based Random Name Generators
Templayer » Jun 5 2019, 20:38
I wonder how hard it would be to get custom random name generators for each race. I once did create an awesome PHP Tolkien Dwarven name generator.
The principle was simple - two sets of characters - qwrtpsdfghjklzxcvbnm and eyuioa

then take an existing name, for example Gimli. (I originally made this for the Tolkienesque one, so that is why Gimli is an example here)

If the first character is from the first set, remove it, replace it with another of the same set randomly.
This would produce Qimli, Wimli, Rimli, Timli, Zimli, Pimli, Simli, Fimli, Himli, Jimli, Kimli, Ximli, Cimli, Vimli, Bimli, Nimli or Mimli.

OR (randomly) if the second character is from the other set, remove first and second character and replace them with another one from the same set randomly.
this would produce Imli, Ymli, Umli, Emli, Omli and Amli

OR (randomly) do both (any possible combination).
That would produce one of following, randomly Qimli, Qymli, Qumli, Qemli, Qomli, Qamli, Wimli, Wymli ..... you know, a cr-apton of possibilities.

Also I just realized .... I can simply code Racial Name Generators in LUA, so that it could be implemented to the Merge as simply as putting it into the scripts folder!
And instead of using Tolkien-esque names, I could get all the different Might and Magic and Heroes 1-4 names as a base to generate new ones for given races using algoritms! Suddenly I am excited! So that we would have a whole "M&M Racial Names Generator" for our community! Enrothian Human Names, Antagarich Human Male names, ... let's hope I can even find some names for Enrothian Minotaurs in the lore!
Then simply have a setting somewhere useComplexNameGenerators=false and if it is set to true, then the humans would get random names based on their paperdoll (since all three games have humans), and one-game races such as Minotaurs would get the generator based on which continent the player wants to start. And the optional modifications to the merge section would then just tell the user to switch that false to true to enable it. This would make even the purists happy. And I can put a Javascript version of that on my website, so people can test that out of the game!

Current table of base names to generate similar names with:
http://www.templayer.cz/storage/BaseNam ... atorV2.txt

Notes:
Open using GrayFace's TXT Table editor
Some names might appear to be for the wrong continent on a first glance. For example Ethric.
Given his placement in Enroth, you would say Enroth, right? Yeah, but he hails from Bracada.
The inverse is true for Jeddite.
The base names will be used to create new names using algorithms, that will be similar to them.
First base names will be excluded from the generated list.
There will be a 50/50 chance of having a surname, if surnames exist for the given race/continent.
Base surnames are not based on gender.
Took me over 18 hours searching the lore to do this.
It's missing the random peasant names, house NPC names that aren't as important, hireables from Jadame and the original name generator names. That will be the easy part to do. :D
Some surnames are excluded (Ironfist and Gryphonheart were splitted to Iron, Fist, Gryphon and Heart :) )

If no variant exists, base name generator is used instead.

Settings (with defaults):
useComplexNameGenerator=false
complexNameGeneratorFiltering=0
complexNameGeneratorUseOnlyImportantNamesAsBases=false

0 - No filtering - doesn't generate names based on gender, race or continent. One big pile of names.
1 - Gender filtering - Male names for males and female names for females.
2 - Race filtering - filters based on race
3 - Race and Gender filtering - last two combined
4 - Continent filtering - filters the name based on continent
5 - Continent and gender filtering - 1 + 4
6 - Continent and race filtering - 2 + 4
7 - Continent, race and gender filtering - 1 + 2 + 4
Last edited by Templayer on 23 Aug 2019, 17:36, edited 2 times in total.

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 23 Aug 2019, 17:56

Templayer wrote:EDIT: Feel free to elaborate upon that and I will put it into the Suggestion Tracker once you have a draft of the feature.
Cool! One more thing: I lack adventure inn in Erathia. It might be worth putting it right in the Harmondale castle.
Last edited by Jezebeth Noir on 23 Aug 2019, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 23 Aug 2019, 17:57

del
Last edited by Jezebeth Noir on 23 Aug 2019, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Aug 2019, 20:13

Jezebeth Noir wrote:
Templayer wrote:EDIT: Feel free to elaborate upon that and I will put it into the Suggestion Tracker once you have a draft of the feature.
Cool! One more thing: I lack adventure inn in Erathia. It might be worth putting it right in the Harmondale castle.
... I'm going to add that to the Suggestion Tracker right away.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 23 Aug 2019, 21:07

Templayer wrote: EDIT: Feel free to elaborate upon that and I will put it into the Suggestion Tracker once you have a draft of the feature.
I will suggest a sequel of Verdant's and co. adventures :D
Maybe something about her background, about her research about other worlds, etc...
Or maybe additional quests related to the main storyline? For example, she will ask heroes to speak with the krigan's Queen instead of just killing her (the krigan's queen is need for some kind of research). In general, there are a lot of options! :-D

Я требую продолжения банкета!

Return to “Might and Magic”