Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Unread postby andrey » 19 Aug 2019, 20:32

@All merge developers:

Just finished. Thanks for the game, guys! Great work!

UnknownHuman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby UnknownHuman » 20 Aug 2019, 08:08

Dont know if its a bug but the character from MM6 with color bandana on head doesnt say "HOOOO" when finding something great.
He just says "huhhaa". He did say "HOOOO" before.

Anyway to turn off Auto aim ?
Want to shoot straight not to the side and kill people or my self.
Thanks.
Last edited by UnknownHuman on 20 Aug 2019, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 20 Aug 2019, 17:43

The game should not auto-aim at neutrals, only at hostiles. If your auto-aim hits a neutral, move.
Last edited by raekuul on 20 Aug 2019, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 20 Aug 2019, 17:48

DaveHer wrote:
Templayer wrote:
DaveHer wrote:@Templayer
The belts for the woman have been redone. Check the link again.
Check this link for the files to install the belts into the merge: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12eOZ1 ... yV-9CTKyPZ
Install the belts in your copy of the merge and see for your self how they look. Check the previous post for instructions on how to bring them into the game. In the mean time, I will be preparing the images for MM7 belts for the tracker.
David
What about the rogue pixels and blur? Did you read that reply?
Yes. :)They have been redone. Like I said bring them into the game and see for your self.
I might try that next weekend.
UnknownHuman wrote:Dont know if its a bug but the character from MM6 with color bandana on head doesnt say "HOOOO" when finding something great.

Anyway to turn off Auto aim ?
Want to shoot straight not to the side and kill people or my self.
Thanks.
No idea about the first one.

As far as the second one - you can turn mouse looking on, but I do not think there has been made an option to actually only shoot straight.
If that was the case, then someone could make a modern or scifi RPG with this! With skills such as submachine guns, machine guns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, pistols, grenade launchers, rocket launchers, grenades, melee bladed weapons, melee blunt weapons, melee piercing weapons,.... I would play the <self-censorship> out of that. Big fan of Jagged Alliance 2. :D :D
I never played the MM6-8 games in real-time mode while in combat, unless for specific reasons (to raise the effectiveness of meteor showers, etc.), but with mouse look and middle of the screen shooting.... :D I would use that. :tsup: :devious:
GrayFace wrote: :hug:
You have an Extension feature request here, and it is an interesting one, yet might be easy to implement - no auto-aim. Shooting will shoot only in the middle of the screen. Like in a shooter. :D :D Well, it is not as much as feature adding as making an option to turn an existing feature off. :D
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 20 Aug 2019, 19:36

UnknownHuman wrote:Dont know if its a bug but the character from MM6 with color bandana on head doesnt say "HOOOO" when finding something great.

Thanks.
Yea, I have similar problem: when the potion spoiled (ka-BOOM) the character instead of "Ouch!" said "Get outta my road!".
This bug happens with different characters in completely different situations.
The sound strings do not match the executing strings of the sound file. GrayFace said something about "array expansion", etc.
In short, the solution to this problem is difficult. Don't bother about it. :)

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 20 Aug 2019, 20:26

Maslyonok wrote:

Thanks.
Yea, I have similar problem: when the potion spoiled (ka-BOOM) the character instead of "Ouch!" said "Get outta my road!".
This bug happens with different characters in completely different situations.
The sound strings do not match the executing strings of the sound file. GrayFace said something about "array expansion", etc.
In short, the solution to this problem is difficult. Don't bother about it. :)
Added to the Bug Report. UnknownHuman has been added to the Bug Catchers section of the Credits Tracker.
Let's track this one even if it isn't a Merge bug per say, it's an annoying and immersion breaking bug.
Last edited by Templayer on 20 Aug 2019, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

darkkat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby darkkat » 21 Aug 2019, 10:05

hello! i ricently installed the merge with all the new patchs. But i still have a problem with quest at mm6 - finding the Lord Kilburns shield - it dosent apppear at the chest in Blakshire... The map get respawn already, but still... its nor there,
is there any solution? Any aditor that can edds it at the game, o just mark the quest done?
Thank you!

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 21 Aug 2019, 11:14

@Templayer
Here is the link for the photos of the MM7 belts that's for the tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J5DhC ... _BQ5phJBtu
David

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 21 Aug 2019, 14:28

darkkat wrote:hello! i ricently installed the merge with all the new patchs. But i still have a problem with quest at mm6 - finding the Lord Kilburns shield - it dosent apppear at the chest in Blakshire... The map get respawn already, but still... its nor there,
is there any solution? Any aditor that can edds it at the game, o just mark the quest done?
Thank you!
Can you check that FixChests=1 in mm8.ini? It is 0 by default.

Original MM had a bug. Sometimes there is not enough place for all the things in the chest. If the item did not fit in the chest, then it just disappeared. Sometimes it happened to quest items. FixChests=1 fixes it: you can open the chest again, and see the items that the game failed to show the first time.

However, if you already opened that chest and saw that the shield is not there, I am not sure what will happen if you set FixChests=1 post-factum.

@ALL:
Why FixChests=0 is default? It is a fix for a very annoying bug. Are there any downsides of FixChests=1?
Last edited by andrey on 21 Aug 2019, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 21 Aug 2019, 15:02

I was asked to put in the thread all the remaining bugs that I submitted. Here they are. GoogleDoc has some pictures for some of the bugs. I did not intend to make duplicates, but it seems quite a number of those bugs were reported before.

Code: Select all

- Save got corrupted somehow. Middle Lloyd’s Beacon points to Sweet Water, but has the picture of Garrote Gorge (top of tower). The picture could come from previous beacon location, but I definitely remember the picture being fine before I made the save. Save is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10eJMZTsoygXO4YljDtlRG4gMccNiAgpg/view?usp=sharing.
Upd: It seems, that’s not it. I saw it from time to time, and images are coming from another playthrough. For example, I see an image of Evernmorn instead of Sweet Water, and it is the same image I had in another game. Like, when loading some of the variables are not reinitialized properly.
<pictures were here>
Upper left, the image is near obelisk treasure of MM7. I debugged some obelisk riddle glitch in another game and set the beacon there. But it was not this playthrough. Beacon works normally, it is just image problem.
Upd 2: Reproducible very consistently. Set a beacon, in another game set another beacon at the same beacon spot, reload first game and see the image replaced. Replaced image stays for the whole duration of the beacon, it seems.

- Duplicate monster names mess up bounty hunting. Previously in MM8 it was the case for peasants, which noone collected anyway. Now when you see “Water Elemental”, it can be Jadamean, Antagarich or Enroth version easily. New bounty hunting system gives a hint, of course :-)

- Entering a Dragon Cave in Eofol only says “Do you wish to exit the Land of Giants?” and nothing else.

- Paralyzed monsters stay paralyzed upon re-entering a dungeon (AFAIR, even if  weeks had passed). Their HP is not returned to full. Bug from original MM7-8.

- Dimension door sometimes throws you in the middle of the lake (e.g. in Tatalia or Barrow Downs). Intentional?

- Jadamean bounty hunting ranks (novice, journeyman. etc.) are not in the awards. Not sure how it was in MM8.

- Grognard now got the name Zog. Also, Grognard’s goblins do shoot now (I guess that one is a feature).

- Cannot sell Mace of the Sun (they say “beyond my meager knowledge”). It is a bug from original MM8, looks like it is counted as quest item by mistake.

- Dwarven Lieutenant attacks silently, no sound effects (might be because it was bounty-generated).

- Elvish Toadstool item in Eofol (around -2939, 21960) is generated already falling to the sea. Have a save if necessary.

- Bounty dragon shark, purely underwater creature, appeared flying in the air in Tularean Forest. I guess, there should be some exceptions for bounty monster generation.
Templayer: That's an old one, we had flying sharks before! :D
Andrey: I hope my reports are not getting annoying :-) Have some more, but need to debug them a bit before reporting.
Templayer: Nah, it's good for someone to report these.

- Reanimated zombie becoming hostile when attacked. It was like that in MM8, but I’m not sure if it should happen like that.

- Leave a corpse or few in each dungeon, later wait for bounty on it, reanimate, kill, get a bounty. I guess, we might call it a feature.

- Gryphonheart trumpet also lost sound. “Cannot be used that way”

- Awards list becomes very long in the merge, and there is no slider. Checking how much bounty you got takes a lot of clicks on down arrow. Was like that in original M&M, but was never a problem due to much less quests. I guess, belongs more to missing features rather than bugs.

- Returned Gryphonheart’s Trumpet, judge Gray died the same day. Should there be some time between the events?

- Pillars in the walls of mist. When clicking on keyhole, pillars are not activated (except for one). Have to click space, then it works. Bug from MM7.
Upd: clickboxes are way up-left comparing to keyhole image.

- Cannot click on sideways barrel in castle Harmondale any longer. I’m pretty sure previously it could poison you or get you drunk.

- Got only 2 of the artifacts for Arcomage MM7 quest. Fix chests is on (BTW why is it off by default?).
Upd: another playthrough - same thing. No Mind’s Eye, no Forge Gauntlets.
Templayer: Wait, have those been repainted? I think they haven't…
Andrey: repainted? Not sure. Elven chainmail and Elfbane look the same as they were AFAIR. Two others are missing.

- Crossing to shoals takes no time and does not remove spells. Crossing back takes 1 day, as expected.

- On one playthrough Verdant did not congratulate me with MM7 (yet?). On another she congratulated me with MM7 when I was preparing to go to shoals.

- When watching in-game movie, switching to another window just cuts it (as if escape was pressed). I guess, it should either pause or just continue.

- Strange white spots appear on the minimap to stay (appeared day 1, first cleaning, but they were not there at the beginning). AFAIR those were the places for looted corpses, but I am not sure. Will write an update if I find out more. BTW you can use any of my saves and go to Goblinwatch to see the bug.
<GoogleDoc has the picture>

- All MM7 obelisks taken (see in the logs), flower still does not show up. Set beacon -> TP away -> return to beacon -> flower is there. Is it because I used dimension door to get to Evernmorn? Did it mess up some internal variables? Unfortunately, no save, but I suggest to try dimension door to Evernmorn  and see if the flower is there.
Upd: investigated further, tried again. Looks like the flower does not appear in your presence (in MM7 it did). If you wait there until midnight, it does not appear. Then Lloyd’s beacon away, return, and flower is there. Have some saves. It might belong to worst glitches list, if the bug is there for everyone. Most people will arrive on Evernmorn in a little advance. And if party does not have Lloyd’s Beacon, then the only way around the bug might be to enter/exit dungeon (did not try, just a guess). But I don’t think many people will do it on their own.

- First hall in Temple in a Bottle no longer has any items on the tables.

- Temple in a bottle does not have a map title (when you press M), and clicking on the minimap shows interesting message:
<GoogleDoc has a picture with a message "No Maze Info for this maze on file">

- Just picked this interesting thing from temple in a bottle drawer. Intentional?
<GoogleDoc has a picture with an item that looks like "forbidden" sign>
Upd: I picked similar stuff from Wine Rack in Mercenary Guild in Tatalia.
Templayer: Most certainly not intentional

- When exiting fear room in NWC, chimes and blessing sound are for second character, even if there is no second character:
<GoogleDoc has example picture>
Upd: Although this is a very minor thing on its own, it can be a sign of an off-by-one error in the code, and who knows what other consequences it can have.

- In NWC dungeon everyone is named “Peasant”. Didn;t they have names before? Though, for MM6 I might be wrong.
Templayer: This is the same bug as with the boss monsters being called by their base template entity.
Andrey: I suspected that.

- When exiting Fort Riverstride part of the door is unclickable. Have to click on right side to exit. Left side - no reaction.
<GoogleDoc has a picture where working part of the door is marked>

- Tavern in Nighon - same problem, only the right side of the door is clickable. AFAIR, it was like that back in MM7.

- "Kill all griffins" quest no longer increases your reputation. Feature? Previously reputation was the main point of this quest.

- In Castle Gloaming and in the Pit there are some unfriendly shades, killing peasants etc. I killed them, noone got hostile. Not sure how they appeared. Previously in MM7 shades summoned by local guards were hostile to peasants, might be related.

- Guards are no longer angry at you for killing griffins in Erathia. Exception: palace guards. Feature? Alternative explanation: the nearby griffin was the only griffin that was not one-shot. Maybe guards were triggered to that.

- Library in Castle Navan gives nothing at all. Not a single scroll, although shelves are still blue-colored in Wizards Eye.

- Light Druid still promotes you even if you chose darkness. Warlock promotion for light path is now a feature, but what about the other way around?

- Book text not adjusted to solo play: <GoogleDoc has a picture with a text that definitely implies that min character has followers.>
There were no followers. Oversight was there back in MM8
Upd: In MM7 it is all the time with NPCs. "My lords" et al.

- Game crashed on an attempt to answer the riddle in the breach. One-time occurrence.

- Enter Clanker’s Laboratory after talking to Archibald, and you start facing the wall.

- It seems, the riddles in the breach don’t care whether you answer them correctly or not. The bug with text input suddenly disappeared for one of the playthroughs, and I was able to compare. To tell without spoilers, it took ~20 correct riddle answers on one playthrough and ~20 “incorrect” riddle answers on another - results were about the same. Intentional?

- Cannot cast Destroy Undead on reanimated creature. I guess, they just don’t count as undead. But perhaps should.

- It seems, dimension door, like town portal, keeps track of height. Cast from breach tower (or exit it) - fall from the sky. Can be an instant death, if feather fall was not cast in time. Might call it a feature, though.
Upd: maybe that’s not all of it. Sometimes the height is normal. Not sure what it depends on, but a few times dimension door has thrown me from the sky.
Upd2: OK, it seems there is exactly one (I hope) dimension door to Bracada that throws characters from height.

- Level 1 character just met apprentice spy (second promotion) in the training hall on Dagger Wound Islands. I guess, level 1 should be unpromoted.

- Arcomage AI sometimes does stupid things: e.g. playing “+1 tower to all players” and letting me win, or play “Player w/lowest wall -1 dungeon and 2 damage to tower” while being the player with lowest wall. It does not have to be smart, but would be good to avoid very obvious blunders.

- There are some chests with pre-recognized items (on Dagger Wound Islands or Emerald Isle, for example). Take items -> use FixChests -> new items are not pre-recognized.
Templayer: Do you mean pre-identified?
Andrey: Yes.

- After blackmailing wererat leader Edgar Felmoon says “and here is a payment we agreed upon”, but gives no money. Bug from original MM8.

- In the arena you should kill all monsters including your own reanimated ones. Not sure if it was intended.

- Guards in Smugglers’ Cove did not become hostile, when I went to anoited herb potion room. One time occurrence.

- Verdant first contacts you when you reach any place of power, not necessarily the one that she asks you to reach.

- Happens when you are given a scroll inside the house (e.g. for Ninja promotion). Read the scroll immediately, stop reading, and upper part of the screen becomes a mosaic of scroll text and house animation. Very minor bug back from MM7.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 21 Aug 2019, 15:13

darkkat wrote:hello! i ricently installed the merge with all the new patchs. But i still have a problem with quest at mm6 - finding the Lord Kilburns shield - it dosent apppear at the chest in Blakshire... The map get respawn already, but still... its nor there,
Thank you!
Please check the Tracker in my signature. You can use the Cheat Engine made for the Merge to add the shield to your inventory (it's a replacement for MM8CHE).
andrey wrote: @ALL:
Why FixChests=0 is default? It is a fix for a very annoying bug. Are there any downsides of FixChests=1?
From what I know GrayFace applies another fix instead, where items are ordered in priority and items with more priority will appear for sure, while some can be deleted. If I remember correctly. I too use FixChests=1.

darkkat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby darkkat » 21 Aug 2019, 15:47

andrey wrote:
Thank you!
Can you check that FixChests=1 in mm8.ini? It is 0 by default.

Original MM had a bug. Sometimes there is not enough place for all the things in the chest. If the item did not fit in the chest, then it just disappeared. Sometimes it happened to quest items. FixChests=1 fixes it: you can open the chest again, and see the items that the game failed to show the first time.

However, if you already opened that chest and saw that the shield is not there, I am not sure what will happen if you set FixChests=1 post-factum.

@ALL:

Yes, it was on 0 value, i changed it, but it dosent help .... any another way?

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 21 Aug 2019, 16:07

darkkat wrote:Yes, it was on 0 value, i changed it, but it dosent help .... any another way?
I am 99% sure it will be there on respawn now (if not, it belongs to worst bugs list). If you don't want to wait or reload, solution by @Templayer should help.

Klasiant
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Klasiant » 21 Aug 2019, 16:26

Hey guys, I'm back, started a new run and instantly found a bug.

Chose Jadame, created a dark elf, changed her class to peasant.
Looted Tobersk Brandy, won the Arcomage on Dagger Wound, then headed into the first available house and got her class changed to "druid".

Exit house, check my char sheet. 5000xp gained, and apparently I made an alliance with Charles Quixote. Easily impressed dude, apparently.

Restarded, did the exact same thing, could not replicate. Thought it still was interesting enough to report.

Edit: I dunno if this is intended, so hence the edit, but it seems the act of going from peasant to Druid granted me 5000 xp.
Last edited by Klasiant on 21 Aug 2019, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 21 Aug 2019, 17:22

Klasiant wrote:
I saw those 5000XP every time when I chose the class for a peasant. I always thought it is intentional.
Last edited by andrey on 21 Aug 2019, 17:22, edited 2 times in total.

darkkat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby darkkat » 21 Aug 2019, 17:54

Templayer wrote:
Thank you!
Please check the Tracker in my signature. You can use the Cheat Engine made for the Merge to add the shield to your inventory (it's a replacement for MM8CHE).

I wait for another respawn - and it dosent appear in the chest nither ...
And sorry for being such a noob, but i dont understand how can I run the cheat engine - replace where? i could not find the mm8che in the folders
thank you

darkkat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby darkkat » 21 Aug 2019, 18:06

I could not find the information about this bugs in the foro >

Mm7 -- while the chest is still open, and you trying to add something from this chest to the npc who has the inventory fool, he says "no" - then you try to put it to the next npc - the game crash 8|

Verdant quest - to broke the parts of the "entrance" from the inside and bring them to Verdant - nothing happen when i try to broke it. :wall:

And one observation
The interesting way to travel from MM6 - in New Sorpigal - when you use the fountain to heal - and the power of the fountain is over - you can "feel the high magic presence here" and travel though the continents - or it can be just my personal Bug jejej :-D
Last edited by darkkat on 21 Aug 2019, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 21 Aug 2019, 18:10

darkkat wrote:
Hm... I am not a merge developer, but I guess if you provide a save and mm8.ini, it can help the developers to track and fix the bug.

BTW did you take the quest for that shield? Some quest items do not appear until you take the quest (e.g. perfect bow), but I am not sure if the shield is one of those. Previously it was near impossible to not take the quest, but with the merge it is quite easy to visit Blackshire before Castke Ironfist.

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 21 Aug 2019, 18:16

darkkat wrote: Mm7 -- while the chest is still open, and you trying to add something from this chest to the npc who has the inventory fool, he says "no" - then you try to put it to the next npc - the game crash
Are you by chance using software 3D? If yes, setPaperDollInChests=0 might help. If that's not it, then I don't know that bug.
darkkat wrote: Verdant quest - to broke the parts of the "entrance" from the inside and bring them to Verdant - nothing happen when i try to broke it. :wall:
You just need to enter. And you should receive confirmation message upon entering. No need to hit the gates, nothing appears in your inventory, etc. You did not receive any message when entering the planes (AFTER taking the quest)? She does not accept the quest even after you entered all planes?
darkkat wrote: And one observation
The interesting way to travel from MM6 - in New Sorpigal - when you use the fountain to heal - and the power of the fountain is over - you can "feel the high magic presence here" and travel though the continents - or it can be just my personal Bug jejej :-D
It is not a bug. There are some hidden places of power (Verdant slightly mentions it), and you just found one of them.

darkkat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby darkkat » 21 Aug 2019, 18:31

andrey wrote:
darkkat wrote:
Hm... I am not a merge developer, but I guess if you provide a save and mm8.ini, it can help the developers to track and fix the bug.

BTW did you take the quest for that shield? Some quest items do not appear until you take the quest (e.g. perfect bow), but I am not sure if the shield is one of those. Previously it was near impossible to not take the quest, but with the merge it is quite easy to visit Blackshire before Castke Ironfist.

Yes i have the quest, and i think i got it before i went to blackshire.... :S

Return to “Might and Magic”